16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello Everyone in AP!

I am still in the NVC stages hoping for completion.

I have been reading ahead to other forums and I saw this one. I was wondering what was the common reason for AP and if you could do it over and knew now what you didn't know then, what would you have done not to get an AP. I know that some are unavoidable, like security checks, name checks but what are some of the ones that could be avoided?

Thank you for your help and wish you all a speedy approval!

Get all the paperwork done exactly as asked, notarize anything that needs to be notarized, make copies and take originals with you to interview, make sure tax papers are up to date and you can AVOID the AP for missing documents. Everything else is unavoidable - and it is a sensative matter to those in this forum who have gone through much pain of having 4-21 months of AP. If it was AVOIDABLE, I think we would all give a toe or two to make it so.

Best of luck to you and carefully organize paperwork, photos, and evidence and hopefully your interivew will be a smooth one with minimal AP time.

God bless,

Tam

AP: Over 1 year.

Visa: Nov 2

US Entry: Nov 13, Alhamdulillah.

BelieveButterflyfortile.jpgPrayerisPower_Cover.jpghello.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

AP is not something you can prepare to avoid. Every beneficiary goes through background checks. Its just a matter of whether they are done in time for the interview or not. There are some countries where more extensive checks are done and others just take longer because of name hits.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Guinea
Timeline

I will add this... be happy that you are aware of it. Some of us thought we had done all of our homework and were completely blindsided by being put into AP.

Tammy is right, pay attention to every little last detail when preparing your paperwork, and also go overboard with proof of your relationship. Some people get put into AP for relationship verification. If you can prove it at the interview, you can avoid a delay.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

khengool--what is happening with the visa? Anything?

Visa Journey:

Marriage: July 6, 2007

I-130 Sent: August 7, 2007

NOA1: September 24, 2007

I-129F Sent: September 25, 2007

NOA1: October 9, 2007

NOA2: March 7, 2008

Packet 3: March 28, 2008

Interview: June 24, 2008

AP: June 24, 2008

10 months in AP--will this ever end?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Yes you can be put into AP for relationship proof like my SO and I were - but having the proof with you won't necessarily avoid it. We had a vast majority of what was requested to be handed in by the CO at the interview but the CO stated he would not look at it at that time and to hand it into VFS [the company that handles the paperwork for the Indian Consulates]. The list of paperwork requested on our 221(g) included a voter's listing which is mentioned NO WHERE in anything I've researched over the last few months and I've been diligent in my research. And, as I just mentioned, in our case the CO refused to look at what we did have - just having it with you is no guarantee you'll avoid a 221(g) for relationship proof. On the flip side, it was pretty easy to turn around and get the requested paperwork into VFS having had 90%+ already together.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Yes you can be put into AP for relationship proof like my SO and I were - but having the proof with you won't necessarily avoid it. We had a vast majority of what was requested to be handed in by the CO at the interview but the CO stated he would not look at it at that time ... in our case the CO refused to look at what we did have - just having it with you is no guarantee you'll avoid a 221(g) for relationship proof.
It's good -- sad, actually -- to hear of a second consulate besides "mine" where this garbage happens. It's months later and I'm now married, and I remain 100% livid at the consular treatment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
Yes you can be put into AP for relationship proof like my SO and I were - but having the proof with you won't necessarily avoid it. We had a vast majority of what was requested to be handed in by the CO at the interview but the CO stated he would not look at it at that time ... in our case the CO refused to look at what we did have - just having it with you is no guarantee you'll avoid a 221(g) for relationship proof.
It's good -- sad, actually -- to hear of a second consulate besides "mine" where this garbage happens. It's months later and I'm now married, and I remain 100% livid at the consular treatment.

My fiance has his interview the same day as yours, 4/29/08 and we're still waiting for his visa. :crying: This process is ridiculously inefficient and VERY broken.

Timeline
khengool--what is happening with the visa? Anything?

Call the CDC and ask questions.

Trust me.

You will be surprised.

CDC? As in the Center for Disease Control? Huh? Looks like you and my fiance have been waiting about the same amount of time khengool. Hopefully soon...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

They usualy know before your interview if they are going to put you in AP. That is when they request nothing new and hand you a 221g. LIke us. Then you might be missing someone and they will request that information which puts you in ap.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I don't understand what you mean khengool--we are anxious for you. Please help us understand what is happening with the visa. Aren't they finished? Your number showed up on the website--what else must you do?

Visa Journey:

Marriage: July 6, 2007

I-130 Sent: August 7, 2007

NOA1: September 24, 2007

I-129F Sent: September 25, 2007

NOA1: October 9, 2007

NOA2: March 7, 2008

Packet 3: March 28, 2008

Interview: June 24, 2008

AP: June 24, 2008

10 months in AP--will this ever end?

My fiance has his interview the same day as yours, 4/29/08 and we're still waiting for his visa. :crying: This process is ridiculously inefficient and VERY broken.

Two people from the same embassy - one gets visa same day, other wait 8 months. What p@sses me off the most is that they give no explanations...sickens me to see good people wait so long...while others ride it out so easilyl.

My only jusitification is that being tested by God, if you show your faith, your reward will be much greater.

Hang in there, the visa WILL COME, God-willing.

Tam

AP: Over 1 year.

Visa: Nov 2

US Entry: Nov 13, Alhamdulillah.

BelieveButterflyfortile.jpgPrayerisPower_Cover.jpghello.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.