Linababe

The Big Move to the States..

32 posts in this topic

we have a local store that sells a few british items but they are SOOO pricey!

I will just keep having Chris' most send stuff from Yorkshire.

I have about 4 bottles of HP sauce, a few birds custards, and gravy granuels so I can make Yorkshire puds with gravy while he is here!

Still want to know about the cheap health insurence! :star::star:

Cool. :o I want HP sauce too....................i'm a Yorkshire lass, & should beable to make Yorkshire puds, BUT the temps on the ovens here is hard to get used to, so out of the times i have made them , only twice did they turn out right :huh:

yeah gas ovens work the best with the yorkshires I think. It was hard but I just had to keep my eye on it.

These will be treats that is for sure as it took a while.

I modified it and made a yummy dessert. Instead of animal fat I used veggie cooking stuff and made yorkshires that way. Then put spiced apples and birds custard on it...It was really really yummy!

Actually.....I will pm you with a question..:)

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Just so everyone knows at least in the Midwest you can get UVA/UVB. Lina I know you're going to be just to the south of us in Ohio...Meijer store has a great brand of UVA/UVB sport sunscreen (i'm wearing right now after planting flowers all day) AND they have a british food section that carries all the necessities like beans and digestives. They also stock some great curry sauces. Check with your fiance if you're close to a Meijer, they have them in Ohio, Michigan and Indiana.

All the best!

:star: Joey

Thank you Joey - Im not much of a sunscreen wearer lol I am naturally tanned and I dont burn but I guess the sun in the states is much hottter than here in the UK LOL Yeah I went to a meijer while I was there so I know there is one - as for curry sauces - I make my own authentic curries lol as I am Indian and is the traditional dish :) My dave loves my curries lol. I have seen online stores that sells hienze baked beans but they seem to be really expensive - Ive kinda got used to Tescos brand baked beans and well they are extremely cheap so Im gonna go with shipping a case or two :) I hope I dont get problems with customs lol

Lina (UKC)

Hey Joey I must get clarification on this LOL - From your picture I kinda gathered the guy was from the states and the girl from UK as the gay is wearing the redwings shirt, and is extremely tall (as most american men are) lol - after seeing your post here I take it that you (the female) is Joey the american half and the guy (your fiance) is the UK half, LOL am I right now? whatever you still make a good couple:)

Lina (UKC)

PLEASE REMEMBER TO UPDATE YOUR TIMELINE AS THE STATISTICS ON THIS FORUM ARE CALCULATED VIA THE TIMELINES. PLEASE GO TO: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

WAITING FOR AN INTERVIEW DATE AT LONDON? COME JOIN US HERE: <a

London Interview list

http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map]http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map</a>

Frapper map of the world for those who applied for marriage based visa through Nebraska, It's a good way to actually see where people are, if anyone is near you, send messages to discuss, vent, or share even meet up!!!

27 Feb. 2006: K1 petition sent to Nebraska Service Centre

2 March 2006: NOA1 dated (received in mail on 9 March 2006)

4 May 2006: NOA2!!!!! (DAY 66)

8 May 2006: File Sent to NVC (as stated on email dated 9 May)

24 May 2006: NVC sends our file to London Embassy

8 June 2006: Packet 3 arrives (DAY 101)

25 August 2006: Pack 3 sent to London Embassy registered post

29 August 2006: London Embassy receives my Pack 3 - 9/9/06 pack 4 arrives

SEPT 2006:APPLICATION PUT ON HOLD - WE HAD A FALLING OUT.

MAY 2007:RESUMED THE VISA APPLICATION

6 June 2007: Medical @ 2.30pm - need to get anew GP letter and psychiatric evaluation

7 June 2007: INTERVIEW @ 10am - waiting for new police record letter

3 July 2007: APPROVED/Visa arrives

Nah, I think they'd understand, just ask them if they could live without their favorite food. Lucky guy - the best i can do is a jar tikka masala. Meijer also stocks GIANT cadbury bars but with the cadbury eggs/bars it sounds crazy but the ones made for american distribution do NOT taste as nice though it claims they are still made in England. Weird, but true. My fiance brought me some cadbury eggs for this past Easter and my mom put some in my Easter basket too and the difference was obvious. So if anyone is in need of a proper cadbury bar I'd find a store that imports them direct.

Quick question: Isn't brown sauce just repackaged as Heinz57 here? I don't know, I dont' use it.

Good luck!

LOL Lina. It is a bit confusing especially with my nickname. My actual name is JoElle, joey is just easy to pronounce and less formal. Im the USC and VERY short. I'm only 5 foot so at 6 foot my fiance looks REALLY tall in the picture. The picture was taken at a Detroit Red Wings hockey game this February - I'm a huge fan and he's wearing the jersey I bought for him right after we first met...I started working on him from the beginning. LETS GO RED WINGS!

:star: joey

And so he did what countless punk-rock songs had told him to do so many times before: he lived his life

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

11/14/2006 AOS packet made it to 'the box' after being overnighted.

12/02/2006 Paul had biometrics

12/14/2006 AOS Forwarded to CSC AND AP Application approved.

01/17/2007 First touch of 2007 at CSC

01/20/2007 Touched AGAIN (also the 18th) come on...

February: Oops, RFE for a REGISTERED marriage certificate. Oops! Overnighted it.

02/28/2007 Paul gets email letting us know his GREENCARD is on it's way! It's done...for now!

03/09/2007 Paul's greencard arrives. And breathe...

We began with mailing the I-129 in on February 27, 2006 so the whole process took us approx. one year.

Good luck out there!

See PCRADDY for our official timeline.

Nah, I think they'd understand, just ask them if they could live without their favorite food. Lucky guy - the best i can do is a jar tikka masala. Meijer also stocks GIANT cadbury bars but with the cadbury eggs/bars it sounds crazy but the ones made for american distribution do NOT taste as nice though it claims they are still made in England. Weird, but true. My fiance brought me some cadbury eggs for this past Easter and my mom put some in my Easter basket too and the difference was obvious. So if anyone is in need of a proper cadbury bar I'd find a store that imports them direct.

Quick question: Isn't brown sauce just repackaged as Heinz57 here? I don't know, I dont' use it.

Good luck!

LOL Lina. It is a bit confusing especially with my nickname. My actual name is JoElle, joey is just easy to pronounce and less formal. Im the USC and VERY short. I'm only 5 foot so at 6 foot my fiance looks REALLY tall in the picture. The picture was taken at a Detroit Red Wings hockey game this February - I'm a huge fan and he's wearing the jersey I bought for him right after we first met...I started working on him from the beginning. LETS GO RED WINGS!

:star: joey

Tis a cute picture!

I know how you feel with the tall fiance...although I am 5ft 6 he is 6ft 6...so still a big difference.

Umm brown sauce...it could be. But it tastes different to me. But then everything tastes different to me over there in England! Who knows!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

Yes I havent worked out what would be best as for health insurance, should i just get a 3 month travel insurance to cover any health issues if they occur? My fiance doesnt have health insurance with his company so we will be looking at buying private health insurance - once I am in the US and married but in the meatime anyone have any ideas what do in the short term - plus I am concerned about prescriptions - I am on Paroxitine which is for anxiety and depression - I cant ween myself off it right now as with all the stress of the immigration stuff and family not backing me I cant seem to get off it - my doc suggestes that e will give me enough (possibly 6 months supply) and when I move to america and am settled there i should ween myself off it then - but what if I need more? I know I would have to get a doctor over there in the states - but will this be covered with health insurance or is it preexhisting? I get so confused with all this - plus I am on pills for vertig - which I need all the time mostly my doc again can give me a supply but I may need more

Travel insurance will not be valid once you are an immigrant. You can get health insurance to cover you until you are working. There are a few threads kicking around on the 'moving to the US' forum. I used www.expatriate-insurance.com who gave me a good deal but there are plenty of companies around. Most companies will be ok with your pre-existing problems. They are fairly common so I wouldn't worry too much. Your GP sounds great to be giving you extra prescriptions - definitely take him up on that offer! Once you are here it would be best to ask friends and family about a good doctor - they can be very hard to find so start looking soon.

ajames79 - I have insurance over here with Cigna. I didn't say it was cheap! I said my private dentist in the UK is cheaper than my US one. For example, Cigna pays half of all my dental care and I have to stump up the other half apart from cleanings and check ups. So if I need a filling, it costs around $180 here in the US but only $100 in the UK. I called Cigna and they said it didn't matter where I got the treatment so I schedule the big stuff when I'm going back home. I do get all other healthcare free tho apart from the co-pay visit which is $15.

(we also get UVA/UVB sunscreen readily here too...and don't forget peeps it goes off after a year and becomes less effective :thumbs: )

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Yes I havent worked out what would be best as for health insurance, should i just get a 3 month travel insurance to cover any health issues if they occur? My fiance doesnt have health insurance with his company so we will be looking at buying private health insurance - once I am in the US and married but in the meatime anyone have any ideas what do in the short term - plus I am concerned about prescriptions - I am on Paroxitine which is for anxiety and depression - I cant ween myself off it right now as with all the stress of the immigration stuff and family not backing me I cant seem to get off it - my doc suggestes that e will give me enough (possibly 6 months supply) and when I move to america and am settled there i should ween myself off it then - but what if I need more? I know I would have to get a doctor over there in the states - but will this be covered with health insurance or is it preexhisting? I get so confused with all this - plus I am on pills for vertig - which I need all the time mostly my doc again can give me a supply but I may need more

Travel insurance will not be valid once you are an immigrant. You can get health insurance to cover you until you are working. There are a few threads kicking around on the 'moving to the US' forum. I used www.expatriate-insurance.com who gave me a good deal but there are plenty of companies around. Most companies will be ok with your pre-existing problems. They are fairly common so I wouldn't worry too much. Your GP sounds great to be giving you extra prescriptions - definitely take him up on that offer! Once you are here it would be best to ask friends and family about a good doctor - they can be very hard to find so start looking soon.

ajames79 - I have insurance over here with Cigna. I didn't say it was cheap! I said my private dentist in the UK is cheaper than my US one. For example, Cigna pays half of all my dental care and I have to stump up the other half apart from cleanings and check ups. So if I need a filling, it costs around $180 here in the US but only $100 in the UK. I called Cigna and they said it didn't matter where I got the treatment so I schedule the big stuff when I'm going back home. I do get all other healthcare free tho apart from the co-pay visit which is $15.

(we also get UVA/UVB sunscreen readily here too...and don't forget peeps it goes off after a year and becomes less effective :thumbs: )

zgood to know! I have had cigna health care before with a company. Thanks for sharing!! :)

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Lina, if you have pre-existing medical conditions, I'd strongly advise your fiancee to get a different job with a group health plan. Private insurance is all well and good, but you either have to take a physical or answer a medical questionaire, then your premium is based on how well you are.

I had brain surgery from a car accident about 8 years ago, and even though I've been medically cleared for about 6 years now, when I lost my group plan & applied for private coverage, the lowest premium quoted was like 500 a month because of my history.

You should try to get as many meds as you can from your GP now, cos I can't see the logic in weaning off anti-anxiety meds while you're moving countries. It might take a while to adjust.

Sorry about your sis-in-law!

Lina - I was in natWest the other day asking about using an online account while overseas and they told me I couldnt use the account to xfer money from a UK account to a US one using online banking - that I can only do that using WRITTEN PERMISSION (Halifax told me same thing, cept I can do it over the phone with them - which sucks, but not quote as bad).

Nat West person told me banks wont do it cos of worries over money laundering (I did ask her waht about those of us who ar NOT money laundering but she ignored that, lol).

I beleive there's a way around it using payPal - and having a UK verified account (so you have to be in UK to set it up) and a US one once you get to US (I think..not sure) and i think Jay-Jay is the queen of how that one goes - I've PM'd her and when she pops back and replies I'll put what she says in here or a new thread so we can all benefit :thumbs: I know she won't mind - hopefully she'll pop back before I leave! :lol:

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Lina - I was in natWest the other day asking about using an online account while overseas and they told me I couldnt use the account to xfer money from a UK account to a US one using online banking - that I can only do that using WRITTEN PERMISSION (Halifax told me same thing, cept I can do it over the phone with them - which sucks, but not quote as bad).

Nat West person told me banks wont do it cos of worries over money laundering (I did ask her waht about those of us who ar NOT money laundering but she ignored that, lol).

I beleive there's a way around it using payPal - and having a UK verified account (so you have to be in UK to set it up) and a US one once you get to US (I think..not sure) and i think Jay-Jay is the queen of how that one goes - I've PM'd her and when she pops back and replies I'll put what she says in here or a new thread so we can all benefit :thumbs: I know she won't mind - hopefully she'll pop back before I leave! :lol:

Yes i think I remember that they said it would have to be in writting so I could write a letter from states as long as I dont need to transfer the money quickly as it takes 5 days to get the letter here in UK from states or I can fax a letter they said - but again this was some time ago I still have to go in and talk to them:)

Lina (UKC)

PLEASE REMEMBER TO UPDATE YOUR TIMELINE AS THE STATISTICS ON THIS FORUM ARE CALCULATED VIA THE TIMELINES. PLEASE GO TO: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

WAITING FOR AN INTERVIEW DATE AT LONDON? COME JOIN US HERE: <a

London Interview list

http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map]http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map</a>

Frapper map of the world for those who applied for marriage based visa through Nebraska, It's a good way to actually see where people are, if anyone is near you, send messages to discuss, vent, or share even meet up!!!

27 Feb. 2006: K1 petition sent to Nebraska Service Centre

2 March 2006: NOA1 dated (received in mail on 9 March 2006)

4 May 2006: NOA2!!!!! (DAY 66)

8 May 2006: File Sent to NVC (as stated on email dated 9 May)

24 May 2006: NVC sends our file to London Embassy

8 June 2006: Packet 3 arrives (DAY 101)

25 August 2006: Pack 3 sent to London Embassy registered post

29 August 2006: London Embassy receives my Pack 3 - 9/9/06 pack 4 arrives

SEPT 2006:APPLICATION PUT ON HOLD - WE HAD A FALLING OUT.

MAY 2007:RESUMED THE VISA APPLICATION

6 June 2007: Medical @ 2.30pm - need to get anew GP letter and psychiatric evaluation

7 June 2007: INTERVIEW @ 10am - waiting for new police record letter

3 July 2007: APPROVED/Visa arrives

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Yes i think I remember that they said it would have to be in writting so I could write a letter from states as long as I dont need to transfer the money quickly as it takes 5 days to get the letter here in UK from states or I can fax a letter they said - but again this was some time ago I still have to go in and talk to them:)

Lina (UKC)

Could I suggest Money Corp (www.moneycorp.com) they are a commercial currency broker. You phone them up in the UK agree the deal over the phone and they then send an email with payment instructions. You go to your online bank and transfer them the pounds, they are based in London. Three to four days later the money arrives in your US account, the delay is to allow the money to get from your UK account to them.

They are cheaper than NatWest and offer a better exchange rate.

They are several other commercial currency dealers who will deal with individuals if you want to shop around.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Lina (UKC)

Could I suggest Money Corp (www.moneycorp.com) they are a commercial currency broker. You phone them up in the UK agree the deal over the phone and they then send an email with payment instructions. You go to your online bank and transfer them the pounds, they are based in London. Three to four days later the money arrives in your US account, the delay is to allow the money to get from your UK account to them.

They are several other commercial currency dealers who will deal with individuals if you want to shop around.

Lansbury, I used to work for Moneycorp, when I was in the UK. I used them for my money transfer, too. You really do get fantastic rates there and fast, friendly and professional service. :) I totally second the recommendation. :thumbs:

Also, you can get a card through them that will give you a rate improvement and commission free, should you need to change money at the airport branches.

Edited by HuffyTheSlayer

Lina (UKC)

Lansbury, I used to work for Moneycorp, when I was in the UK. I used them for my money transfer, too. You really do get fantastic rates there and fast, friendly and professional service. :) I totally second the recommendation. :thumbs:

Also, you can get a card through them that will give you a rate improvement and commission free, should you need to change money at the airport branches.

is this for moving money over on a regular or ad hoc basis.?

For a one off lump sum we have been quoted by both Lloyds/TSB and the Nat West that for anything over £20,000 they will charge £20 and if you want it there within two workind days they charge £35.00.

It is also business rate that you get and with Nat West they phone up for you there and then and get the best deal they can and you have 30 seconds to agree or not. I did it just for an excercise one day and we asked what they could get us to transfer £50,000 and they came back with a higher rate than the business rate they were showing and what had been on TV that morning. Plus it was higher than one of the money brokerage type companies that I had also checked.

At the moment we are going with Lloyds, as when we checked with them on Saturday, they also came up with a really good rate :thumbs: I think it may also be that the more you are sending over the better deal you will get. All I needed was my bank account details in the US, even though it is only a saving account and the routing number :thumbs:

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

I take it thats for moving money PRIOR to leaving the UK? Or is it by phone after u left?

This just confuses the heck out of me, lol..I like 'easy' and 'hassle free' oh yeah and 'legal' :lol:

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

is this for moving money over on a regular or ad hoc basis.?

For a one off lump sum we have been quoted by both Lloyds/TSB and the Nat West that for anything over £20,000 they will charge £20 and if you want it there within two workind days they charge £35.00.

It is also business rate that you get and with Nat West they phone up for you there and then and get the best deal they can and you have 30 seconds to agree or not. I did it just for an excercise one day and we asked what they could get us to transfer £50,000 and they came back with a higher rate than the business rate they were showing and what had been on TV that morning. Plus it was higher than one of the money brokerage type companies that I had also checked.

At the moment we are going with Lloyds, as when we checked with them on Saturday, they also came up with a really good rate :thumbs: I think it may also be that the more you are sending over the better deal you will get. All I needed was my bank account details in the US, even though it is only a saving account and the routing number :thumbs:

I only moved money just the once, but you will have an account with them, for any further transactions. I'm pretty certain that they will at least match LLoyds or any other banks buisness rate, if not beat it. But it's not something where you have to make a split second decision like you had to for NatWest, so you can think about it a little before you actually do it (although I'm sure you'd have to make a decision on that day). You will have to go through anti-money laundering procedures, but every financial institution in the world has to do this. The person has to be sure that you are genuine and know where the money comes from, kind of like the Consulate Officer has to be convinced that you are genuinely together with your fiance. :thumbs: It's definately worth checking them out and either dropping them an email or calling up to see.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS -

My son is a chef and has a fail-safe recipe for YP's - he got it from an Army chef in Germany - it works for me in the UK - don't know about US but will hopefully soon be able to try it out:

Whisk 2 eggs - add flour a little at a time whisking all the time until its too thick to go further - add milk gradually until its the right consistency. Pour into hot fat and watch em rise......... SIMPLE

Let me know if it works for you.

we have a local store that sells a few british items but they are SOOO pricey!

I will just keep having Chris' most send stuff from Yorkshire.

I have about 4 bottles of HP sauce, a few birds custards, and gravy granuels so I can make Yorkshire puds with gravy while he is here!

Still want to know about the cheap health insurence! :star::star:

Cool. :o I want HP sauce too....................i'm a Yorkshire lass, & should beable to make Yorkshire puds, BUT the temps on the ovens here is hard to get used to, so out of the times i have made them , only twice did they turn out right :huh:

yeah gas ovens work the best with the yorkshires I think. It was hard but I just had to keep my eye on it.

These will be treats that is for sure as it took a while.

I modified it and made a yummy dessert. Instead of animal fat I used veggie cooking stuff and made yorkshires that way. Then put spiced apples and birds custard on it...It was really really yummy!

Actually.....I will pm you with a question..:)

For detailed timeline - click on my name - then read our story

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.