SteveLaura

The Santa Talk

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I don't have kids either. I do have nieces and nephews though. The other day my nephew, he's 9, suggested I buy something rather expensive. I said, "I don't have the money for that." To which he responded, "well, just ask Santa for it." I said, "I don't really think that will work." To which he responded, "are you suggested Santa isn't real and won't bring you what you ask for?" I wasn't sure if it was cute that he still believed in Santa or scary considering he's 9. I've tossed around the idea of, when I finally do have kids, not even telling them about Santa. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth them living 10 years of their life with a delusion that Santa is real.

I'm not convinced from this that this little guy doesn't know all about Santa, and just how real he is :)

Kids are pretty smart, sometimes the smarter thing to do is to 'play along' with the game. I haven't asked my kid if he thinks Santa is real - but he loves the tooth fairy :lol:

From a kid's POV I guess if the Santa game is up it might mean fewer presents...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
LOL you can't control a pet's death. You can control telling them about Santa.

Well, you do know that that pet will die, even if you can't control the when.

If you get the kids to believe in Santa, then obviously you have to follow through with it and provide the presents. I don't think anyone is advocating anything different. In these cases (which are the most common) I really don't see the harm in it.

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
PD said Santa passed away?????????

:crying: RIP Santa... (F)

maybe next time he'll stay off the property

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Our 8 year old is questioning the veracity of the Big Guy in Red. When did you have the talk and how did you do it?

there is no santa claus.

merrychristmas.jpg

Classy Charles.. you are going to be a great papa!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

Amended: Unless you invite Charles round & he shoots it.

There is no harm - fantasy is an important part in a child's education. The ability to assimilate information and categorise it seems to elude some adults. It would be interesting to note if this was more or less likely if a child is not exposed to these harmless indulgences in the 'make believe'.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

The Santa talk... I think if a child is asking you should tell them the truth. My suggestion would be to explain how the holiday season (thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years) brings families closer together and gives us time to reflect, hope, and become excited about the opportunities a new year will bring. And explain that the story of Santa helps little kids become excited. Maybe? (I don't have kids! lol). Depending on your child, it might be nice to watch the History of Santa (very interesting History channel documentary about Santa). Be sure to remind them not to spoil the surprise for other kids so that they keep the excitement about Santa.

My parents told me about Santa when I was 10. I had already figured it out like 2 years earlier, but never told them. It was funny. The sat me down, and started talk about Santa, the toothfairy, etc. And I interrupted with, "I know they're not real." They were relieved...lol.

Timeline
Our 8 year old is questioning the veracity of the Big Guy in Red. When did you have the talk and how did you do it?

there is no santa claus.

merrychristmas.jpg

Classy Charles.. you are going to be a great papa!

none of that easter bunny nonsense either.

129018357_75baa4455b.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Lat Christmas Eve, as I was tucking my 8 year old daughter into bed, she said, "Mom, I have a question and I want you to tell me the truth. Is Santa real?" I tried to skirt the question, but she was persistent. I asked if she was sure that she wanted the truth. She insisted she was. So the thruth she got. She did cry a bit, but then we talked about how the spirit of Santa lives in all parents who leave gifts for their children under the Christmas tree, and that in that sense, Santa is real. She liked that idea very much and went to sleep a happy kid.

My oldest son found out way too early when he was not quite 7 (my other 2 kids found and unwrapped all the gifts on Christmas eve morning ugh). His reaction, first - "Wow, Mom. Thanks for all the nice Christmas presents over the years" made me cry and was quickly followed with, "I suppose this means you're the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy, too?" which made me laugh.

Most kids can understand and accept the concept of why we "lie" to them about Santa. If she's asking its probably best to tell her the truth.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I won't debate my side any further, because we all just have different POVs. I will say though that I had(and still have) a wild imagination and fantasy stories were my favorite. Not believing in Santa or not wanting your kids to does not damage a child's whole imagination.

Edited by Parivar CSK

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Timeline

as long as they are tasty :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline
Not believing in Santa or not wanting your kids to does not damage a child's whole imagination.

I would agree. But, handled properly, I think Santa has the potential to enhance it also.

as long as they are tasty :thumbs:

Tooth Fairies probably taste like chicken.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I discovered around 8 that Santa didn't exist. It was at school, all the girls were saying" what kind of baby think Santa is real".. that kinda stuff. I was shocked all day, thinking about it! At night, I asked my mom if it was true that Santa doesn't exist? she said yes. And that was it. Drama over. :P

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My Mom was a huge hippy and believed that she shouldn't lie to me so when I was five she told me there was no Santa.

I was totally crushed and I'm still a bit peeved that I never got to really experience the "magic" of believing that.

I just let my kids come to it naturally, they start to hear it in school and such...when my younger son was 10 he said something about Santa, and I asked, "Do you still beleive in him?" and he said "not really", and I jsut confirmed......no trauma. I didn't have to "tell" him and they got to have nice magical Christmas' all those years...which I am happy for.

"We are the real countries,

Not the boundaries drawn on maps,

With the names of powerful men.

That's all I've wanted -

To walk in such a place with you,

On an earth without maps."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kev (Canada/BC) & Kiki (USA/Oregon)

flag_usa_canada.gif

Married Nov. 27th, 2004

Done with USCIS until 2017!!

collage4.jpg