SteveLaura

The Santa Talk

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I remember my parents/santa used to leave mince pie crumbs and half drunk glasses of brandy on christmas morning. One year they went as far as leaving muddy footprints by the back door.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I remember my parents/santa used to leave mince pie crumbs and half drunk glasses of brandy on christmas morning. One year they went as far as leaving muddy footprints by the back door.

My mom would do the same, lol.

I remember starting to wonder when I was around 5 - was very confused about all my toys obviously coming from the store with price tags scratched off rather than from the elves' workshop.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
My mum sat me down at 11 and told me that Santa, the tooth fairy and the easter bunny weren't real.

WHAT??????????????????????? :help::crying::help::crying::help:

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
My mum sat me down at 11 and told me that Santa, and the tooth fairy weren't real.

WHAT??????????????????????? :help::crying::help::crying::help:

He is real really! *I think I got away with it*

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I think I'm gonna need some therapy..... :unsure:

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
I don't have kids either. I do have nieces and nephews though. The other day my nephew, he's 9, suggested I buy something rather expensive. I said, "I don't have the money for that." To which he responded, "well, just ask Santa for it." I said, "I don't really think that will work." To which he responded, "are you suggested Santa isn't real and won't bring you what you ask for?" I wasn't sure if it was cute that he still believed in Santa or scary considering he's 9. I've tossed around the idea of, when I finally do have kids, not even telling them about Santa. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth them living 10 years of their life with a delusion that Santa is real.

I'm not telling my kids about Santa...I don't understand why it's ok to lie to kids about it, even though me saying that always offends people. :innocent: Treating it as a fun story/tale is fine with me, like Rudolph the red nose reindeer, all just a cute story but I'm not going to say it's real. And I think my image of the issue has been tarnished from hearing bad experiences of the Santa thing from a close friend and my mom. :P I didn't believe in Santa as a kid. My parents told us to be polite about it of course, don't go around telling kids Santa is fake. We'd just smile and nod at kids who believed it. If anyone pities me for that, just pretend I grew up somewhere else where they don't believe in Santa and it will all be fine. But I still LOVED Christmas. And I didn't get a ton of gifts either. Still it is my favorite holiday!

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I don't see it as lying. It's fun to see the kids get so excited from putting out cookies, carrots & milk, then finding the half-eaten remnants the next morning. I just think that, for us, it's come to the point when it's more for the parents than the child. Now she can join in the magic from the other point of view, with her younger cousins.

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Timeline
I don't see it as lying. It's fun to see the kids get so excited from putting out cookies, carrots & milk, then finding the half-eaten remnants the next morning. I just think that, for us, it's come to the point when it's more for the parents than the child. Now she can join in the magic from the other point of view, with her younger cousins.

Is it also as fun to see them cry and be upset that Santa wasn't real all along? :P

Edited by Parivar CSK

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
There is suppose to be a talk? :o:o:o

My mum never gave me a talk :crying:

OK, new thread. How do we break the news to Sister Fracas?

PD said Santa passed away?????????

:crying: RIP Santa... (F)

post-16-1101948841-1.jpg

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Is it also as fun to see them cry and be upset that Santa wasn't real all alone? :P

Well, that's isn't true in every instance. I very much doubt it will be in our case. Besides which, kids do get upset. It's like saying, let's not buy a pet cos it'll die some day and they'll cry.

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Is it also as fun to see them cry and be upset that Santa wasn't real all along? :P

I think only very young kids do that (3 - 4 yo). Once you start going to elementary school - its common knowledge.

I found out pretty early (5 or 6 perhaps) - it was actually funny because my school friends and I would laugh at how our parents would try to get away with it.

Timeline

LOL you can't control a pet's death. You can control telling them about Santa.

Anyway, as you can see I am not a fan of the Santa myth. My mom was very poor and yet her mom( a wee bit crazy) still always told her to be good so Santa would bring her gifts, and yet her mom never put the fake Santa gifts so my mom got nothing...and wondered why Santa hated her since she was a very good kid. It may sound silly but it was very emotional for her for years as a kid, she was so relieved when she learned he wasn't real. So Santa is also a class issue. And I would love to write a thesis one day about Santa if I ever get my master's in sociology. :rofl:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I don't have kids either. I do have nieces and nephews though. The other day my nephew, he's 9, suggested I buy something rather expensive. I said, "I don't have the money for that." To which he responded, "well, just ask Santa for it." I said, "I don't really think that will work." To which he responded, "are you suggested Santa isn't real and won't bring you what you ask for?" I wasn't sure if it was cute that he still believed in Santa or scary considering he's 9. I've tossed around the idea of, when I finally do have kids, not even telling them about Santa. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth them living 10 years of their life with a delusion that Santa is real.

I'm not telling my kids about Santa...I don't understand why it's ok to lie to kids about it, even though me saying that always offends people. :innocent: Treating it as a fun story/tale is fine with me, like Rudolph the red nose reindeer, all just a cute story but I'm not going to say it's real. And I think my image of the issue has been tarnished from hearing bad experiences of the Santa thing from a close friend and my mom. :P I didn't believe in Santa as a kid. My parents told us to be polite about it of course, don't go around telling kids Santa is fake. We'd just smile and nod at kids who believed it. If anyone pities me for that, just pretend I grew up somewhere else where they don't believe in Santa and it will all be fine. But I still LOVED Christmas. And I didn't get a ton of gifts either. Still it is my favorite holiday!

My bro & Sis have done this with their kids.. they love Christmas too.. they still talk about Santa, but they look at you and say "but he's just pretend though".. which is super cute too..

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

I'm not convinced from this that this little guy doesn't know all about Santa, and just how real he is :)

Kids are pretty smart, sometimes the smarter thing to do is to 'play along' with the game. I haven't asked my kid if he thinks Santa is real - but he loves the tooth fairy :lol:

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Our 8 year old is questioning the veracity of the Big Guy in Red. When did you have the talk and how did you do it?

there is no santa claus.

merrychristmas.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!