Marlita

Adjustment to the United States

435 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Hi Zee Bee.. :)

:lol:

I'm just reading. Its interesting that these issues are not confined to one culture.

Of course NOT!

Nope, they are universal - People are people!

True true.

Reading what everyone has written, some of you could be telling my story. Its not easy, but it really helps to know that others have been through it, are working through it and have made it.

So many times I have wanted to throw in the towel (or throw something at his head).

There are just so many little things to think about. If we started a list I don't think we would ever get done. Everyday I think of something else and think "I wish someone had told me ____ ". Its a slow and sometimes, painful process.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
:help::oops::ot: I need a touch up

A TOUCH UP A WAH !!

mi ead need fi CREAME

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Kelly, we have talked many times in the past - You are a stronger woman than I am, because I would be in jail by now for murder - I hope that all works out the best for you.

Nanny, I am so sorry to hear that - stay strong, and enjoy the blessing of your daughter that came out of this situation - I dealt with the same ####### from my ex - he always talked a good game with our son, but never ever walked the walk - finally, I just stopped answering the calls or reading the texts - it was too hard.

Wow, LuvTrav, That is so crazy. Sus is right, I woulda probably been in jail too. Do you have family members, male friends, brothers, fathers, uncles who could "show him a thing or two?" You know...somewhere secluded, in a dark alley or something....I'm just sayin....

Wow he sounds like such a stress, but unfortunately this is not at all uncommon as i hear with many men coming here from developing nations.

Marlita, did you hear this before or after you married your husband.? Please STOP saying this, this actions or acts are universal it doesn't matter where they hail from. Hell my nephew is married and he doesn't even believe he should contribute to the household bills. Should his wife let him stay, that's up to her.

Edited by RoxcieJoe

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi Zee Bee.. :)

:lol:

I'm just reading. Its interesting that these issues are not confined to one culture.

Of course NOT!

Nope, they are universal - People are people!

True true.

Reading what everyone has written, some of you could be telling my story. Its not easy, but it really helps to know that others have been through it, are working through it and have made it.

So many times I have wanted to throw in the towel (or throw something at his head).

There are just so many little things to think about. If we started a list I don't think we would ever get done. Everyday I think of something else and think "I wish someone had told me ____ ". Its a slow and sometimes, painful process.

it's like ur Genes no two ppl are alike..live and learn.it's just nice to have a listening ears..but i want Honest ears though

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Why...ya got beady beads :blink:

What are beady beads? :help:

the BACK of my hair is NAPPY (my hairline)

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

can we call it kinky hair please...u a act like u alone have kinky hair

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline
sHEM..I BET IF U TELL DEM BOUT DEM RASS ONCE ..U TURN YARDIE..LMAO

You good...a not dat mi tell tell, mi ask dem if a pu**y dem a look!

sarry unuh except mi apaligies mi no wah arfen any badi sorry bout di vulgaritiness of mi typings.

what?! Mek mi seh it when mi read dis ere!! I was like, good lawd, tre done lost her ever lovin mind fi tru!!

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline

The biggest problem for my husband was that there wasn't much Jamaican Cultural things where we live.. I did everything I coud to help him to be as comfortable as prossible with his new enviroment.. We looked into classes for him, added the sports package to the cable so he could watch football (soccer). We brought countless calling cards so he call to Ja and chat with his friends to keep him from being bored too death while I was at work.

The food was another issue..We wasn't very fond of a lot of things. There is a little international market not far from the house, prices high as hell, but we shopped there for things he wanted. I did what I had to do to try to help him adjust to his new life.

About 2 months after he got here a friend of mine gave a Reggae Around the Pool Party. I thought oh this is great!! There is bound to be some people here that he'll be able to bound with.. And there was, this opened his world up. At this party he met 2 people that he knew of from home (JA). This opened the door to employment and links to more JA friends.

From that point on his adjustment became much easier to life in America...

USCIS

06-28-2011-Mailed I-130

07-03-2011-NOA1

12-08-2011-NOA2

NVC

12-19-2012-NVC Received Case

01-06-2012-Case Number

01-25-2012-Case Completed

02-21-2012-Medical

03-06-2012-Interview--APPROVED

03-13-2012-VISA RECEIVED

03-16-2012-POE ATL

ROC

02/24/2014-Mailed I-751

02/26/2014-Package Received

02/28/2014-NOA1 Hard Copy

02/28/2014-Check Cashed

03/25/2014-Biometrics Appt

06/04/2014-RFE Sent more info back on 07/29/2014

09/04/2014 ROC Approved

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I don't have kinky hair :whistle:

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

wait..mi wah see if you membah any ting fram kuntri...since u a town ooman

ow bout weelie ead or my all time FAVORITE "KAYAH"...bout kinky...mi hair a grow back tall mi naw go back a dem shop di Kimmy, like you said, I always leave out with a DAMN MUSHROOM! :angry: ...last time she asked me if I wanted my hair feathered.

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

:o:rofl::rofl:

USCIS

06-28-2011-Mailed I-130

07-03-2011-NOA1

12-08-2011-NOA2

NVC

12-19-2012-NVC Received Case

01-06-2012-Case Number

01-25-2012-Case Completed

02-21-2012-Medical

03-06-2012-Interview--APPROVED

03-13-2012-VISA RECEIVED

03-16-2012-POE ATL

ROC

02/24/2014-Mailed I-751

02/26/2014-Package Received

02/28/2014-NOA1 Hard Copy

02/28/2014-Check Cashed

03/25/2014-Biometrics Appt

06/04/2014-RFE Sent more info back on 07/29/2014

09/04/2014 ROC Approved

sarry unuh except mi apaligies mi no wah arfen any badi sorry bout di vulgaritiness of mi typings.

what?! Mek mi seh it when mi read dis ere!! I was like, good lawd, tre done lost her ever lovin mind fi tru!!

dwl @ Lita, girl, if you spend 1 week in Jamaica with me, you would have so much DAMN fun! cause MI NO EASI...MI NO EASI A TALL

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

dwl @ Lita, girl, if you spend 1 week in Jamaica with me, you would have so much DAMN fun! cause MI NO EASI...MI NO EASI A TALL

LAWD WI FIGURE DAT OUT..NOW :ot2:

wai deh...weh mi machete

tep aff a mi name

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.