Bern.

US Customs keep records? >_<

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just heard some things...so let me get this straight, they keep track of the reasons that you claim is the reason why you entered the United States?

In my situation, my fiance lives in Las Vegas. US customs has never asked me who I was going to visit or what I planned to do in the US. Its only when I came back that they asked me.

The first time I came back, I said that I was visiting a boyfriend and then the second time I stumbled a bit on my answer (I was really tired). They asked me where I went, and I said Las Vegas and they asked why, and then I was like, ''Oh, I'm sorry. I went to Las Vegas and Oklahoma for a military graduation ><.''

So my question is, do they keep records of that ):? They never pulled me aside or anything, they just let me through. I hate Canadian customs. I find them to be more strict than US customs. And how do you know if they have something marked on your file, or if you even have a file >_<?

I plan to visit again in December because my fiance will have time off from the military. What should I say to customs if they ask? And what documentations should I bring? I don't have rent or a mortgage. I still live with my parents and although I do assist my mother with mortgage funds...my name is not on the mortgage. So that's not an option.

Could I bring a credit card bill and banking information? Anybody with information on that. And I'm going to ask my employer for a letter of when I'm expected back tomorrow.

I've also found that if I give the customs officer my passport and itinerary, they don't give me a problem |:

Any suggestions on what papers I should bring, just in case?

(Hearing all these custom horror stories has made me paranoid.)

EDIT.

Would it be safe to say that I'm going over so we can put together the final pieces of the K-1? I unno...lol

Edited by Ber + Ter

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

I just heard some things...so let me get this straight, they keep track of the reasons that you claim is the reason why you entered the United States?

In my situation, my fiance lives in Las Vegas. US customs has never asked me who I was going to visit or what I planned to do in the US. Its only when I came back that they asked me.

The first time I came back, I said that I was visiting a boyfriend and then the second time I stumbled a bit on my answer (I was really tired). They asked me where I went, and I said Las Vegas and they asked why, and then I was like, ''Oh, I'm sorry. I went to Las Vegas and Oklahoma for a military graduation ><.''

So my question is, do they keep records of that ):? They never pulled me aside or anything, they just let me through. I hate Canadian customs. I find them to be more strict than US customs. And how do you know if they have something marked on your file, or if you even have a file >_<?

I plan to visit again in December because my fiance will have time off from the military. What should I say to customs if they ask? And what documentations should I bring? I don't have rent or a mortgage. I still live with my parents and although I do assist my mother with mortgage funds...my name is not on the mortgage. So that's not an option.

Could I bring a credit card bill and banking information? Anybody with information on that. And I'm going to ask my employer for a letter of when I'm expected back tomorrow.

I've also found that if I give the customs officer my passport and itinerary, they don't give me a problem |:

Any suggestions on what papers I should bring, just in case?

(Hearing all these custom horror stories has made me paranoid.)

EDIT.

Would it be safe to say that I'm going over so we can put together the final pieces of the K-1? I unno...lol

Hi Ber and Ter,

First off, there are lots of threads about crossing the border already in the Canada Forum that might help. Check it out!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=93

Secondly, the Border will be able to see on their computer, or from passport stamps how often you've been in the US. You can only be in the US for 180 days in a calendar year from Canada.

You must always be truthful when answering the border guards, but don't volunteer information if they don't ask.

When crossing the border it's always a good idea to bring anything you can that shows you're ties are to Canada. Do you work? A letter from your employer, with company letterhead is always good. Saying the say of your return to work. Yes, bank statements, utitility bills, letters from college, an upcoming appointment, like doctor or dentist. Bring a copy of the "event announcement" that you'll be attending. At some point, or at any point, someone is going to ask you who you're going to be staying with, or who you're going to see. You must be honest. If you haven't filed a K-1, then I guess he's still your boyfriend, unless you're sporting a rock on your ring finger!

Anyway, check out the Canada forum, and you'll see this is asked lots of times, and there is lots of information in the forum.

There is also by the way, a few customs and border patrol officials as well on VJ...just remember they're doing their job. :thumbs: Sounds like the people you're saying are asking questions are the Canadian side of the trip not the American's...so you don't need proof of anything for them, it's the US side that can deny you entry, and that's the side that you should be concerned about.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The direct answer to your question is that the CBP officers CAN note anything they choose in your record but don't actually have time to note every reason you give every time you cross. You can expect they'll note anything they think is important. So if you are subjected to additional questioning or scrutiny at some point, that's when some notes are likely to be made to your record.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.