NancyB

How is your spouse adjusting to live here now?

59 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Believe me...I have made faces when I got a whiff.

I think he needs to hear it from a "neutral" third party. Then it might hit home. Unfortunately, the subject is so sensitive people would avoid bringing it up. So I need someone who really doesn't care if they offend him with brutal honesty.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Positive reinforcement is good. Definitely lay on the compliments whenever he smells nice. Has he ever tended to overdo it on the cologne and bypass the antiperspirant/deodorant? If so, and if the deodorant doesn't have much of a scent, maybe he just isn't convinced it does much good. Maybe you could get him a really yummy-smelling deodorant and talk him into using it instead of cologne. My husband has found a couple of Axe flavors he likes. He buys them in sets with the deodorant and the spray together, and that does the job.

My husband does not have cologne yet. But he wants Lagerfeld. I think he thinks he can use lagerfeld cologne instead of deodorant.

All in all, there is still a lot of room for improvement in this relationship. But I see my husband making baby steps in trying to be better.

Your husband was an attorney back home? What kind of jobs is he applying for now?

My husband was not an attorney, but I think that was meant for someone else?

If he won't take the message from you or his workplace, he may just have to get the message from someone else he socializes with, although I don't know if guys normally let each other know. My husband and I double-check each other (hair, clothes, smell too, especially if we've been exercising) -- just a courtesy to each other, you know? You can't always tell what you smell like. Neither of us wants the other to be embarrassed in public. But if he really hasn't grasped that it's a problem, there's not much you can do except to tell him once again that you're letting him know for his own good.

I think it mayhave been my husband that she was asking that about. Yes, he was an attorney criminal, civil and domestic cases as well as government. He has applied for every job under the sun from paralegal to research analys to burger flipping. He got news last night that there is a temporary job for seasonal help at Kohl's Distribution Warehouse. He works Friday, Saturday and Sunday 6a to 6p. It is something for now and it works with my work schedule and the baby is in a sitters care only one day at a time.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I think it mayhave been my husband that she was asking that about. Yes, he was an attorney criminal, civil and domestic cases as well as government. He has applied for every job under the sun from paralegal to research analys to burger flipping. He got news last night that there is a temporary job for seasonal help at Kohl's Distribution Warehouse. He works Friday, Saturday and Sunday 6a to 6p. It is something for now and it works with my work schedule and the baby is in a sitters care only one day at a time.

:thumbs: YEAH Tasha!!!! That's great news! :thumbs: I hope that it goes well for him. If this was any other Christmas season he would have lots of retail openings that might work for him, but this year's the PITS... Hesham is so bored he dreams of counting paperclips... ANYTHING... It's going to be a LONG COLD RAINY WINTER for him... maybe the economy will pick up around the time he gets his EAD.

K

Timeline

What about a volunteer position for Hesham? I thought about that for my husband at the local hospital. Maybe that can get him out of the house doing something and he can use it on his resume.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
temporary job for seasonal help at Kohl's Distribution Warehouse.

I love Kohl's!

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Timeline

I love Kohl's!

Me too! I have my eye on some bedding there. I hope he gets a discount!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Believe me...I have made faces when I got a whiff.

I think he needs to hear it from a "neutral" third party. Then it might hit home. Unfortunately, the subject is so sensitive people would avoid bringing it up. So I need someone who really doesn't care if they offend him with brutal honesty.

I'll tell him - give me his number :thumbs::devil:

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
From a European point of view - not so sure anyone thinks the streets are paved with gold, but you quickly find out just how much Americans live-to-work versus work-to-live (as in enjoy life along the way). Just an observation. :thumbs:

I wonder if that is not going the way of the dodo though, at least for the Germans, anyway. It is becoming more and more common there to work 2 or 3 jobs to make it. YMMV.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I love Kohl's!

:lol: I was gonna ask if he gets a discount.......haha

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-07-11 AOS packet mailed (and supposedly delivered the same day)

2009-07-15 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765 (USCIS rec'd date is 07-12)

2009-08-05 Case transferred to CSC

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

2009-08-25 - received Biometrics appointment letter!

2009-08-27 I-131 (AP) approved

2009-09-15 Biometrics appointment

2009-09-15 EAD Card production ordered!

2009-09-23 EAD Card received

2009-10-06 GC approved/card production ordered

2009-10-13 GC received in the mail!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Positive reinforcement is good. Definitely lay on the compliments whenever he smells nice. Has he ever tended to overdo it on the cologne and bypass the antiperspirant/deodorant? If so, and if the deodorant doesn't have much of a scent, maybe he just isn't convinced it does much good. Maybe you could get him a really yummy-smelling deodorant and talk him into using it instead of cologne. My husband has found a couple of Axe flavors he likes. He buys them in sets with the deodorant and the spray together, and that does the job.

My husband does not have cologne yet. But he wants Lagerfeld. I think he thinks he can use lagerfeld cologne instead of deodorant.

All in all, there is still a lot of room for improvement in this relationship. But I see my husband making baby steps in trying to be better.

Your husband was an attorney back home? What kind of jobs is he applying for now?

My husband was not an attorney, but I think that was meant for someone else?

If he won't take the message from you or his workplace, he may just have to get the message from someone else he socializes with, although I don't know if guys normally let each other know. My husband and I double-check each other (hair, clothes, smell too, especially if we've been exercising) -- just a courtesy to each other, you know? You can't always tell what you smell like. Neither of us wants the other to be embarrassed in public. But if he really hasn't grasped that it's a problem, there's not much you can do except to tell him once again that you're letting him know for his own good.

Congratulations!!! It may not be what he wants to do. But it's a start. So many professionals can't transition into their fields here because of certification accredation.

I work in a financial legal setting and understand how it could be hard to find work for him. He would have to understand US and state laws. Additionally, paralegal work requires a high level knowledge of english grammer and legal lanquage. Something which is probably hard to grasp for a newly arrived non native english speaker.

Filed: Other Timeline

I love Kohl's!

:lol: I was gonna ask if he gets a discount.......haha

OMG your photo of Baby is absolutely adorable - that little stubby red tail!!!!! :luv:

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
OMG your photo of Baby is absolutely adorable - that little stubby red tail!!!!! :luv:

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-07-11 AOS packet mailed (and supposedly delivered the same day)

2009-07-15 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765 (USCIS rec'd date is 07-12)

2009-08-05 Case transferred to CSC

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

2009-08-25 - received Biometrics appointment letter!

2009-08-27 I-131 (AP) approved

2009-09-15 Biometrics appointment

2009-09-15 EAD Card production ordered!

2009-09-23 EAD Card received

2009-10-06 GC approved/card production ordered

2009-10-13 GC received in the mail!

omg, speaking of bad odors...yeah I noticed when I was in Jordan that a LOT of ppl had a .. well...... "interesting" fragrance about them. Maybe it was the curry (isn't that the one that seeps out ur pores if u eat too much??) anyway, when mine got here I attributed it to a 2 day trip with no real way to shower. After about a week I realized it was a little more than that SO I bought that body wash that has the anti-perspirant in it. That seemed to help. Then when we ran out of our current supply of magic pit sticks, I got a different kind for him that was specifically for hard working men. Once we got his body rid of the usual fragrance, he really started noticing when he needed to freshen up a bit. It was slow going but I think the key was to get rid of the initial problem for a while so he noticed when it got bad... That was just us though...

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.