LastChance

Immigration people visiting your home to check

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was in a family reunion and the topic turned to me as my Mom told everyone that I am engaged and she asked if anyone can attend the wedding in the US. And then the topic went to the greencard process and it seems like everyone has horror stories to tell. Like what happened to the daughter of their cousin's co-worker's father-in-law (you know what I mean- hearsay). They said that immigration officers would visit the applicant's house just to make sure they are living together and that they are really into a bonafide relationship. They will come without notice to check your bedroom, bathroom, cabinets, drawers, kitchen etc. I don't have any problems with it but it really sounded horrible. I have a 3 year old son and we will be alone in the house while my husband works during the day. What if those immigration people are not really who they are? They could be robbers, rapist or killers pretending to be immigration officers.

I have never read any post or story about this here in VJ so I just told them its not true. But maybe Im wrong?

I was in a family reunion and the topic turned to me as my Mom told everyone that I am engaged and she asked if anyone can attend the wedding in the US. And then the topic went to the greencard process and it seems like everyone has horror stories to tell. Like what happened to the daughter of their cousin's co-worker's father-in-law (you know what I mean- hearsay). They said that immigration officers would visit the applicant's house just to make sure they are living together and that they are really into a bonafide relationship. They will come without notice to check your bedroom, bathroom, cabinets, drawers, kitchen etc. I don't have any problems with it but it really sounded horrible. I have a 3 year old son and we will be alone in the house while my husband works during the day. What if those immigration people are not really who they are? They could be robbers, rapist or killers pretending to be immigration officers.

I have never read any post or story about this here in VJ so I just told them its not true. But maybe Im wrong?

I think it does happen (although not quite the 'storm-trooper' way you put it), but not that often. The last time I heard of one, they (the immigration people) made an appointment. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

They do RANDOM checks when ever they want. This just happens to people from places where marriages have become a scam.

Don't let the choices chose you, chose the choices that you want.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
It could be a surprise visit.. just be hospitable as you won't have anything to worry about :)

You won't have anything to worry about, Dor - I'm sure Nate will "bust a cap, yo yo mofo" in the azz of anyone that comes to your house. :lol:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If they do come and visit (I only remember one case of a surprise visit on here), they will have identification with them. You can leave them standing outside till you ring their office and check they are who they say they are if you are unsure.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline
If they do come and visit (I only remember one case of a surprise visit on here), they will have identification with them. You can leave them standing outside till you ring their office and check they are who they say they are if you are unsure.

I agree. From your post, I thought that you were more worried about knowing it was USCIS/someone pretending to be them in order to get into your home, than having anything to hide from USCIS. If anyone official ever tries to get into your home, you should always do this - they won't mind if they are genuine.

Removing conditions:

10/9/10 - Package sent to Vermont

10/13/10 - NOA1 date, received 10/18

• 2 weeks later...
It could be a surprise visit.. just be hospitable as you won't have anything to worry about :)

You won't have anything to worry about, Dor - I'm sure Nate will "bust a cap, yo yo mofo" in the azz of anyone that comes to your house. :lol:

LOLOL Daymo are you following me? :lol::lol:

They can't even get enough people to process the documents for us, do you really think they will have time for a suprise or any type of visit just to check your house? Where the personnel or funds coming from? Do they get paid for this... well I will do that if I am the immigration personeel just to get away from the office full of filers' paperwork... I smell coffee break or lunch again... maybe a smoke break?

Edited by Carlos and Jocel

Honey Bun and Sweet Bun Forevermore

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I know of someone who had a surprise visit early, early in the morning. They wanted to know where the woman's husband was (work) and to look in the closets. I think it's very rare for it to actually happen though...

N-400 Journey

June 9th 2012 - Application sent

June 14th 2012 - NOA sent

June 28th - Biometrics letter sent -- July 26th Appointment date

July 12th 2012 - Early Biometrics/Walk-in

August ( ) - Interview letter received -- September 14th Interview date

September 14th 2012 - Interview! Oath date in hand, September 20th @ noon!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I know of it happening, but only if they highly suspect something is wrong. If you have nothing to hide, then I wouldn't worry about it. I think you have every right to ask for id. I would guess they should have paperwork that has your case numbers/bar codes or something similar if they are the real deal. If you have a child with you, they aren't going to throw you in the back of a car and drive off. The right to enter your property and search etc, seems like a question for a lawyer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.