FILING QUESTION FOR YARDIES

38 posts in this topic

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Solsoeur,

If I had to do it all over again, I would've gone the CR-1 route. By the way, K-3 visa holders do not need AP. It is a two-year multiple entry visa. With the CR-1, there is no paperwork to file for at least two years. To me the K-1 has the fastest turnaround time, but it is not the best! That's just my two cents.

Mrs. Scott

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I did CR1. The cost of travel is relative, but the cost of visa fees are exact. Some people may not travel as much as others. Some live in FLL and get like $80 tickets while others pay over $500. So go by how much it will cost YOU if the money is an issue.

For me money wasnt the biggest issue. The issue was wanting to be married BEFORE doing all this craziness, and wanting to spend time with him in HIS element which means I was going to be going to Jamaica alot. My biggest thing was getting as much of his culture as I possibly could before submering him into mine. And for us thats been the BEST thing we could have done for us. So its all relative.

I dont know what the $45 security fee is for...I didnt pay that.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline

MARLITA

Has a good point. I have been spending time with my SO and I have learned alot about him, culture and most importantly " about US". I cant imagine what it must be like when some of the ladies here are only able to visit once every 9 months or so.

I feel way more confident in what I am getting myself into, Let me change that the "committment" I am going into.

My question is which process takes longer?

K1 OR K3 And "without beating the same dog with a different stick" what is the total cost <less travel fees.>

Elite Upscale Weddings, Negril, Jamaica Quality Weddings Affordable Prices ,www.eliteupscaleweddings.com

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

If I had to do it all over again, I would do the K-1 again. And, I did spend lots of time with him in his element. You don't have to be married to do that.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
DON'T THINK THAT WAS THE POINT JG..

I know. Just a comment.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

We choose the K-1 route. I wanted him here and he wanted to be with me as soon as possible and it took a little under 6 months. Already exposed to the culture and elements (I'm Jamaican) and on each trip I spent time with his family and friends...during the process he hung out with my family and friends in Jamaica while I was in the states.

Some people worry about the paperwork after you SO gets to the states, but the AOS is not that difficult. It's actually very easy to complete.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

WE DID CR1 CUZ I HAD NO IDEAD ABOUT THE K1 AND WHEN A SO CALLED LAWYER EXPLAINED IT TO ME HE MADE IT SEEM LIKE THE LEAST LIKELY TO GET APPROVED...AND HE CLAIMED HE FILED PAPERS FOR MY MOM TOOK HER MONEY NEVER DID ANYTHING...MY MOTHER GOT HER MONEY BACK AFTER MONTHS..HAVE NO REGRETS...WE GOT A 10YR GC AND WE'RE DONE

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline
We choose the K-1 route. I wanted him here and he wanted to be with me as soon as possible and it took a little under 6 months. Already exposed to the culture and elements (I'm Jamaican) and on each trip I spent time with his family and friends...during the process he hung out with my family and friends in Jamaica while I was in the states.

Some people worry about the paperwork after you SO gets to the states, but the AOS is not that difficult. It's actually very easy to complete.

Told you so, Tre. It gets easier and easier. Or we just get better and better at filling out the paperwork.

WE DID CR1 CUZ I HAD NO IDEAD ABOUT THE K1 AND WHEN A SO CALLED LAWYER EXPLAINED IT TO ME HE MADE IT SEEM LIKE THE LEAST LIKELY TO GET APPROVED...AND HE CLAIMED HE FILED PAPERS FOR MY MOM TOOK HER MONEY NEVER DID ANYTHING...MY MOTHER GOT HER MONEY BACK AFTER MONTHS..HAVE NO REGRETS...WE GOT A 10YR GC AND WE'RE DONE

Oh, no, Kimmy. That is not right. Glad she got the money back.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Opps forgot to add the fees; (wah mi lef out)

Filing - $455

Police Certificate - $36

Non-Impiedment - $72

Medical - $95 (no shots required)  -- try and get them prior to the medical at the clinic

Airpak - $8

Flights - Sept. ($305); Nov ($281); Apr. ($338); June ($500); SO flight one-way Jul. ($270)

AOS - $1010

passport pics for AOS $10.00

****fees for other things while he was in Jamaica, but he paid those like (passport, passport pics, extra birthcertificate and shots needed for medical)

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

This is why I think its very much a personal choice between the partners in the relationship. Cause Lany you're right...you being Jamaican you know the culture and its nothing new, so the best thing for you 2 would likely be to just get together faster.

• As far as the cheapest visa fees....CR1/IR1 is the cheapest no doubt. That was what I looked into also when making my decision.
  • As far as K1/K3 I think K1 is a bit faster just cause sometimes the K3 process gets some hiccups going from an I-130 application to an I-129f application. However, I must say that the K3 people from JA I have seen on here have usually been longer than the CR1. The reason being the USCIS is very unorganized an at most times are processing both your I-130 and I-129F at the same time. But since the K3 is free to file now, you might as well try. You can always request for USCIS to abandon that app and continue down the CR1 side.
Opps forgot to add the fees; (wah mi lef out)

Filing - $455

Police Certificate - $36

Non-Impiedment - $72

Medical - $95 (no shots required)  -- try and get them prior to the medical at the clinic

Airpak - $8

Flights - Sept. ($305); Nov ($281); Apr. ($338); June ($500); SO flight one-way Jul. ($270)

AOS - $1010

passport pics for AOS $10.00

****fees for other things while he was in Jamaica, but he paid those like (passport, passport pics, extra birthcertificate and shots needed for medical)

Wow! Thats alot of money when you break it down like that.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline

Lance and I have known each other for 5 years. Our families know each other...my mom went to school with his father. I already know about the culture/his element because I am from there. I wasn't concerned about making visits because before our relationship began I was already making 2-3 visits a year to see family and for business reasons. Wechose to do the CR1 because we would like for him to be able to work when he gets here and to be able to travel back in case of an emergency and although I miss him like hell and wish he was here with me right now, I'm in no rush because we have the rest of our lives together.....so the choice on which visa to file for is definetly a personal one. :star:

Edited by Marie87

I-130 Timeline

04/10/09 - I130 Sent

04/14/09 - I130 Received

04/22/09 - Check Cashed

04/22/09 - NOA1 Hardcopy Received

08/13/09 - Touch

08/24/09 - RFE Email

08/27/09 - RFE Hardcopy Received

09/11/09 - Evidence sent to CSC

09/16/09 - Evidence Received by CSC

09/20/09 - Touch...on a Sunday???

09/25/09 - NOA2 Hardcopy Received. Dated 9/18

NVC Timeline

10/01/09 - NVC Case Number Assigned

10/02/09 - DS3023 & I-864 Bill Generated

10/02/09 - Paid I-864 fee online

10/03/09 - DS3032 Emailed

10/13/09 - Sent I-864 Packet

10/14/09 - NVC Received I-864 Packet

10/20/09 - I-864 Received via AVR

10/22/09 - IV Bill Generated

Timeline

Thanks everyone for the info. Now I have a clear understanding of everything. It was just confusing before. I hope this is informative for whoever else needs it.

Sol

Opportunities are like sunrises - if you wait too long, you miss them.

William Arthur Ward

Timeline

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE AS FAR AS FEES GO

K-1 (QUICKEST ROUTE SOMETIMES)

I-129F-$455

POLICE CERT-$36

NON-IMPIEDMENT-$72

MEDICAL-$95

AIRPAK-$8

AOS-$1010(INCLUDES ADVANCE PAROLE/BIOMETRIC/EAD)

PASSPORT PICS-$10

TOTAL 1686

K-3

I-129F-$0

I-130-$355

I-864-$70

POLICE CERT-$36

MEDICAL-$95

EAD-$340

AIRPAK-$8

TOTAL: $834

(NOTE I WAS TOLD CR1 IS CHEAPER SO I DON’T KNOW WHAT IS MISSING IN THIS IT SHOULD BE MORE EXPENSIVE THAN CR1)

CR1(LONGEST TIME BUT SO ABLE TO WORK UPON ARRIVAL)

I-130-$355

DS-230-$355

I-864-$70

POLICE CERT-$36

MEDICAL-$95

AIRPAK-$8

SECURITY FEE$45

TOTAL: $964

Opportunities are like sunrises - if you wait too long, you miss them.

William Arthur Ward

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.