tuttobella

DCF In Australia- New Changes

107 posts in this topic

Thanks Sadie. On my reading, though, the walk-in on Thursdays only applies for visa applicants from NSW, ACT and Qld. On the page about applicants from Vic, Tas, NT and SA, it says:

"Visa applicants residing in the above-mentioned states come under the consular jurisdiction of the U.S. Consulate General in Melbourne for filing and approval of I-130 petitions. The petitioner must personally file the petition with the Consulate at Melbourne. "

Makes it somewhat easier for those of us in Melbourne, I guess, but I'm not so sure about anyone from Darwin!

Yeh, saw that after I posted, lol. Sorry about that. You have to count your blessings though, at least they still let US citizens file there without being resident.

8-12-2004 I moved to New Zealand(married my Kiwi in US 5/04)

1-12-2006 Received initial packet - It has I-130, I-864 & DS-230 Part 1, DS-2001 & tons of instructions.

Gathering paperwork that we don't have:

5-30-2006 - I-130 FILED AND ACCEPTED BY AUCKLAND CONSULATE!- INTERVIEW: 6/13/2006

6-13-2006 - APPROVED!usaCa.gifnew_zeaC3.gif

6-14-2006 - VISA IN HAND D_SMIL112.gif

08-05-2006 -WE ARE HOME IN THE USA!!! flag12.gif

THREE HAPPY YEARS LATER:

5-10-09 - N-400 filed

8-24-09 - Interview

9-14-09 - Naturalization Oath Ceremony

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Timeline
I just finally read the new instruction pdf that sadie posted. I'm not sure what you all's concerns are. This 'new' process looks better, in the main, for most people.

This is what I took from a quick read through:

Petitioners can now file I-130 in person at the Consulate serving the Aussie's residence. (benefit to you: less travel to Sydney if you don't live near there)

USC can leave Australia immediately, if required.

Aussie spouse can complete DS-230 I & II anytime, and collect all documents--you all already know what those are). As soon as the I-130 is approved, Sydney will invite you to apply for an IV. You return the visa app and the checklist in the return post.

This sets you up for a place in the interview queue.

To me, this process sounds MUCH simpler! What have I missed?

I believe the only difference is the medical check. The police check anyone can instantiate at any time, however, for the medical check, you would need the forms in Packet 3. Being able to do this ahead of time would save a couple of weeks.

Otherwise, I believe that the new system was set up to actually make it easier for us. This way, there's no questions about how to fill out forms (eg can I put my wedding date from the future), can I send my DS-230 before getting married etc etc. From their perspective, I can see how having people send in paperwork for a relationship that does not exist yet may seem a little wrong.

If I knew someone at the consulate I would point out to them that perhaps if they published guidelines and allowed us to get checks and other paperwork completed before any application for a visa, everyone would be happy. This way we could get the things out of the way, and then file all the paperwork together, and they wouldn't have to keep track of visa applicants that aren't married to USCs yet.

By the way, since I had obtained my packet 3 before the new procedures, can someone point out to me what happens with the medical check forms? I assume we take in the medical check forms to the authorised doctor, he/she fills them out. Then what? Do I keep the completed medical forms or does he/she send them directly to the embassy. If I get to keep them, those of us in the transition phase can probably still get our medical checks done, we just won't be able to send in the DS-230 until after we are married and our USC partner files the I-130.

AussieDude

I just finally read the new instruction pdf that sadie posted. I'm not sure what you all's concerns are. This 'new' process looks better, in the main, for most people.

This is what I took from a quick read through:

Petitioners can now file I-130 in person at the Consulate serving the Aussie's residence. (benefit to you: less travel to Sydney if you don't live near there)

USC can leave Australia immediately, if required.

Aussie spouse can complete DS-230 I & II anytime, and collect all documents--you all already know what those are). As soon as the I-130 is approved, Sydney will invite you to apply for an IV. You return the visa app and the checklist in the return post.

This sets you up for a place in the interview queue.

To me, this process sounds MUCH simpler! What have I missed?

I believe the only difference is the medical check. The police check anyone can instantiate at any time, however, for the medical check, you would need the forms in Packet 3. Being able to do this ahead of time would save a couple of weeks.

Otherwise, I believe that the new system was set up to actually make it easier for us. This way, there's no questions about how to fill out forms (eg can I put my wedding date from the future), can I send my DS-230 before getting married etc etc. From their perspective, I can see how having people send in paperwork for a relationship that does not exist yet may seem a little wrong.

If I knew someone at the consulate I would point out to them that perhaps if they published guidelines and allowed us to get checks and other paperwork completed before any application for a visa, everyone would be happy. This way we could get the things out of the way, and then file all the paperwork together, and they wouldn't have to keep track of visa applicants that aren't married to USCs yet.

By the way, since I had obtained my packet 3 before the new procedures, can someone point out to me what happens with the medical check forms? I assume we take in the medical check forms to the authorised doctor, he/she fills them out. Then what? Do I keep the completed medical forms or does he/she send them directly to the embassy. If I get to keep them, those of us in the transition phase can probably still get our medical checks done, we just won't be able to send in the DS-230 until after we are married and our USC partner files the I-130.

AussieDude

Biggest change: "Same day turnaround for visa services is no longer feasible"

Now it looks like you have to file at the Consulate that has jurisdiction over where the Aus. citizen lives. The USC files the I-130 in person, when it is approved by Sydney you are mailed package 3, you send in DS-230 I & II and DS-2001 if you have all your documents and are ready for an interview. Then they mail you an interview letter. (Probably that is when you get the medical forms as well)

Don't know what the med.clinics do in Australia, but in New Zealand they mail the results directly to the Embassy.

8-12-2004 I moved to New Zealand(married my Kiwi in US 5/04)

1-12-2006 Received initial packet - It has I-130, I-864 & DS-230 Part 1, DS-2001 & tons of instructions.

Gathering paperwork that we don't have:

5-30-2006 - I-130 FILED AND ACCEPTED BY AUCKLAND CONSULATE!- INTERVIEW: 6/13/2006

6-13-2006 - APPROVED!usaCa.gifnew_zeaC3.gif

6-14-2006 - VISA IN HAND D_SMIL112.gif

08-05-2006 -WE ARE HOME IN THE USA!!! flag12.gif

THREE HAPPY YEARS LATER:

5-10-09 - N-400 filed

8-24-09 - Interview

9-14-09 - Naturalization Oath Ceremony

Don't know what the med.clinics do in Australia, but in New Zealand they mail the results directly to the Embassy.

Here in Sydney I was able to pick mine up or have it mailed out to me.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Here in Sydney I was able to pick mine up or have it mailed out to me.

Hmm, thus I could actually still get all the things that take time out of the way. I believe that the police checks and medical checks are both valid for a year so having them done before the petition is filed should be ok. Once the petition is filed and the DS-230 is sent in, I can enter the case number onto the medical check documents I assume and all should be sweet.

Perhaps this is what those of us in transition can do, just get everything done, and as soon as the petition is filed and approved, send in the DS-230 and DS-2001 indicating that we are ready for interview.

Comments anyone?

AussieDude

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Perhaps this is what those of us in transition can do, just get everything done, and as soon as the petition is filed and approved, send in the DS-230 and DS-2001 indicating that we are ready for interview.

Comments anyone?

AussieDude

AD,

Without going back to check, that's how I read it anyway. The OzCit should get everything ready ahead anyway. Except maybe the medical. But anyone who is going to apply for a visa this year can get all of the other things ready now--why wait.

USC files the I-130. OzCit gets notice and returns in the next post. This is basically how a London DCF goes.

Just make sure your USC is working on that I-864 :devil:

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Comments anyone?

AussieDude

AD,

Without going back to check, that's how I read it anyway. The OzCit should get everything ready ahead anyway. Except maybe the medical. But anyone who is going to apply for a visa this year can get all of the other things ready now--why wait.

USC files the I-130. OzCit gets notice and returns in the next post. This is basically how a London DCF goes.

Just make sure your USC is working on that I-864 :devil:

Yeah I've got her tax transcripts/returns for the last 3 years which luckily we don't need all of them anymore, but luckily we have them.

What I've been debating is, since she works as a freelancer, jobs in her industry don't last more than 3 months or so. I could get her to get a letter from a friend where she's working part time between jobs, or I guess she could write a letter on behalf of herself (ie being self employed). However, the new guidelines don't even need proof of current employment (that's how I understood them anyway). I know it would be smart to have it, so maybe I'll ask her to obtain a letter. Otherwise, her last tax return shows that she's way above the threshold so it shows earning capacity.

AussieDude

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

For I-184, I found this - Revised Requirements for Form I-864 Processing

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegram...grams_2863.html

Sheldon (US) & Wendy (Malaysia)

2003-April – Meet my fiancé at work place

2003-July – Engagement

2005-May - Appointed an Attorney to work on our K1 VISA

2005-Aug – Attorney mishandling our case, they told us will expedite our case

2006-02-16 to 2006-03-09 - With my fiancé in US for our new apartment move

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2006-03-09 - I-129F Sent to VSC

2006-03-13 - NOA1

2006-03-25 - NOA2

2006-03-27 - NVC Received

2006-03-29 - NVC Left

2006-04-10 - Sent email to Embassy for Packet 3, Consular advice Packet 3 has sent on 10 April

2006-04-21 - Received Packet 3!

2006-04-24 - Sent DS230 Part 1 and Checklist back to Embassy

2006-04-28 – Self collected Packet 4 at Embassy and make appointment for medical

2006-04-29 - Medical check-up

2006-05-11 - Interview Day!!!! - APPROVED!!!

2006-05-15 - Submitted my resignation from work

2006-05-17 - Got a call from Embassy, my visa issuance ON HOLD due to new law IMBRA, they are not able to issue my VISA!!!

2006-05-19 - Pick up my passport without VISA. No information as to when my VISA will be ready...

2006-05-22 - Embassy inform that our case has sent back to NVC via FedEx

2006-06-24 - Last day of my job after serving 1 month notice. (Manage to extend my last work day to 6/24)

~~~ Still don't know what they need from us...

2006-06-25 - USC's finace fly to Malaysia...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Finally its in writing.

excert from the link ppboo posted:

Revised Requirements for Form I-864 Processing

2. Summary. Effective immediately, sponsors filing an I-864

are required to submit only their Federal tax return for their

most recent tax year, current as of the date of execution of the

I-864. The I-864 will remain valid indefinitely absent other

evidence of failure to meet the public charge provisions of the

law and should be evaluated based on the poverty guidelines in

effect on the date of filing with NVC or with post. [NOTE:

Reftel had indicated that poverty guidelines in effect as of the

date of signing would apply. Instead, posts are to consider the

guidelines in effect as of the date the I-864 is submitted.]

Updated tax returns should not be requested absent positive

evidence of public charge issues. The sponsor signature on Form

I-864 does not need to be notarized since the sponsor is signing

under penalty of perjury. Photocopies of Form I-864 that are

submitted for derivative applicants do not require an original

signature or notarization. [NOTE: Reftel had included existing

9 FAM language, requiring notarized signatures on an original I-

864 and an original signature on each photocopy. The new

guidance is consistent with current DHS requirements.] Posts are

reminded that there are some circumstances in which the I-864 is

not required. (For these exceptions, see 9 FAM 40.41 N3.4, 9 FAM

40.41 N3.4-2, 9 FAM 40.41 N3.4-3,and 9 FAM 40.41 N4.6-3.) End

summary.

N-400 NATURALIZATION TIMELINE

11/02/09 - Sent App. via USPS Priority Mail (+Cert. Mail Rcpt. & Return Rcpt)

11/06/09 - Check Cashed

11/06/09 - NOA Date

11/12/09 - NOA Rec'd

11/21/09 - Biometrics Appt. Letter Rec'd

12/01/09 - Biometrics Appt. @ 12:00 PM

12/04/09 - CFR Notice (Yellow Letter). Postmarked 12/07/09. Rec'd 12/11/09

02/04/10 - Rec'd Email that case was sent for "Standard Review"

02/08/10 - Interview Letter Appointment Rec'd (sent 02/03/10)

03/11/10 - Interview Date - Federal Plaza (passed)

03/11/10 - Oath Appt. Letter Rec'd (same day as oath)

04/16/10 - Oath Ceremony Date (Brooklyn)

Total Processing Time: 165 DAYS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Wow you guys seem to be totally on top of it! Seem to be getting some clarity to the new process.

As someone said, at least the USC CAN still file there w/o residency!! Count our blessings!!

It's so weird...This whole thing reminds me of saved by the bell, the new class. The "old" dcf'ers from Oz have kinda moved on and now there's a new class :)

I love it! THe more AUssie AMerican couples the better I say!

oh, and, GO SOCCEROOS!

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

I just received an email from the Sydney Consulate. They are no longer sending out Packet 3 to those trying to do same day filing, and we must now follow the new procedures. So much for an August 1st deadline.

I guess the August 1st deadline doesn't really apply to anyone since they're already implementing this new procedure.

So for those of you who already have appointments, congratulations.

Edited by David A.

04 January 2004 : Met Stephanie in Las Vegas.

15 May 2006 : Joined visajourney

16 September 2006: Got married in Las Vegas.

03 October 2006 : Stephanie applies for certificate of name change.

12 October 2006 : Stephanie recieved certificate of name change.

16 October 2006 : Stephanie applies for NPC, recieves a couple weeks later.

29 November 2006 : Arrived in Sydney, stayed in 4Points Sheraton Darling Harbor.

30 November 2006 : DCF. Submitted I-130 Sydney US Consulate "walk-in Thursday". Packet 3 in hand.

11 December 2006 : Final Medical Appointment with Dr Miller and immunizations. Approved.

11 December 2006 : Sent off DS-230 Parts I and II, and DS-2001 overnight priority.

27 December 2006 : Received RFE in the mail, returned RFE same day.

24 January 2007 : New Legislation preventing approvals of I-130s at Consulate.

30 January 2007 : Final Visa Interview in Sydney.

22 February 2007: Sydney called for my wife to send her passport to issue the visa.

04 March 2007: Stephanie flies back to Australia to post her passport.

14 March 2007: Stephanie Recieves passport and visa.

18 March 2007: Stephanie is in Florida. Journey is over.

30 March 2007: Stephanie gets Social Security Card.

02 April 2007: Stephanie gets Green Card.

"what happens in Vegas, doesn't always stay in Vegas" - david

I just received an email from the Sydney Consulate. They are no longer sending out Packet 3 to those trying to do same day filing, and we must now follow the new procedures. So much for an August 1st deadline.

I guess the August 1st deadline doesn't really apply to anyone since they're already implementing this new procedure.

So for those of you who already have appointments, congratulations.

Sorry to hear you didn't sneak through to get packet 3, but it shouldn't make too much difference timewise. Your fiancee could still get her police-check done, and you can make sure you have all the information you need by downloading the relevant forms.

I suppose the main thing is the medical -- though I imagine if you plan it right, this shouldn't make a difference timewise either. If you know, in advance, the date when you're going to file the I-130, she could probably make an appointment for her medical for a couple of weeks after that, at which time you should have received the packet 3 forms. Given that there seems to be about a 4 week turnaround for interviews, she could send back the DS-2001 as soon as she receives packet 3, and get the medical in the intervening period. I guess we'll have a better idea about timing when a few people start going through the new process!

30 June 2006 - received packet 3 from Sydney Consulate to do DCF

July 2006 - discover Sydney are changing their DCF process

8 September 2006 - have fingerprints taken, post police check form to AFP

12 September 2006 - medical

21 September 2006 - receive police check from AFP

23 September 2006 - wedding day!

12 October 2006 - hubby files I-130 in Sydney during Thursday walk-in (and I-864). I file DS-230 parts 1 and 2, and DS-2001.

31 October 2006 - interview date... and I'm approved!

1 November 2006 - pick-up visa from Sydney Consulate

14 November 2006 - arrive in the US!

22 November 2006 - greencard arrives in mail

24 November 2006 - social security card and welcome letter arrive

I am the Aussie and received Packet 3 in April.

I scheduled a medical appointment for early July and am planning to go ahead with that appointment (because I’ve got the paperwork) and will organise a police check before we marry on 7 October 2006.

The biggest delay looks like getting the certified copy of the marriage certificate before we can file the 1-130 and I-864 in Sydney since they no longer accept the certificate issued on the day of the wedding.

:) I just hope everything goes to plan . . . :)

Another update about the new DCF procedure for people who already have their hands on Packet 3...

We got another email from Sydney this morning, which replied in more detail to the email we sent last week. They told us that since we already have packet 3, we can send in the DS-230 parts 1 & 2 now, or at anytime before my US husband files the I-130. We can also send in the DS-2001 before he files the I-130, so Sydney have all the forms and they can schedule an interview for me as soon as they get the I-130 sent up from Melbourne. So for those of you wondering if you can get your medicals and info together beforehand, the answer is yes!

We told them we'll be filing the I-130 in early October, and they also told us to go ahead and try and schedule an appointment with Melbourne for that now, given we know the dates that suit my partner.

Hope that helps some of you. When I'm not so snowed under with work, I'll try to put all this together for the Aussie DCF thread.

30 June 2006 - received packet 3 from Sydney Consulate to do DCF

July 2006 - discover Sydney are changing their DCF process

8 September 2006 - have fingerprints taken, post police check form to AFP

12 September 2006 - medical

21 September 2006 - receive police check from AFP

23 September 2006 - wedding day!

12 October 2006 - hubby files I-130 in Sydney during Thursday walk-in (and I-864). I file DS-230 parts 1 and 2, and DS-2001.

31 October 2006 - interview date... and I'm approved!

1 November 2006 - pick-up visa from Sydney Consulate

14 November 2006 - arrive in the US!

22 November 2006 - greencard arrives in mail

24 November 2006 - social security card and welcome letter arrive

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I am the Aussie and received Packet 3 in April.

I scheduled a medical appointment for early July and am planning to go ahead with that appointment (because I’ve got the paperwork) and will organise a police check before we marry on 7 October 2006.

The biggest delay looks like getting the certified copy of the marriage certificate before we can file the 1-130 and I-864 in Sydney since they no longer accept the certificate issued on the day of the wedding.

:) I just hope everything goes to plan . . . :)

If you are in Sydney you will have no trouble getting your certified copy of Marriage Certificate. Just go to Births, Deaths, and Marriages and pay for urgent processing fee of $52 (non-urgent $36) and they will do it for you right away. Mine took only 2min to get, no kidding, it was that fast. NSW BDM are the best government dept. I have ever had experience with.

Ours might have been so quick as our Celebrant entered the details of our wedding via the internet before the service, then after were married she completed it. We were married on a Friday and got our Certificate on the following Monday morning.

Check these out:

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/

application form

Hope this helps,

I'd call BDM if you want to know more, I found them quite helpful.

N-400 NATURALIZATION TIMELINE

11/02/09 - Sent App. via USPS Priority Mail (+Cert. Mail Rcpt. & Return Rcpt)

11/06/09 - Check Cashed

11/06/09 - NOA Date

11/12/09 - NOA Rec'd

11/21/09 - Biometrics Appt. Letter Rec'd

12/01/09 - Biometrics Appt. @ 12:00 PM

12/04/09 - CFR Notice (Yellow Letter). Postmarked 12/07/09. Rec'd 12/11/09

02/04/10 - Rec'd Email that case was sent for "Standard Review"

02/08/10 - Interview Letter Appointment Rec'd (sent 02/03/10)

03/11/10 - Interview Date - Federal Plaza (passed)

03/11/10 - Oath Appt. Letter Rec'd (same day as oath)

04/16/10 - Oath Ceremony Date (Brooklyn)

Total Processing Time: 165 DAYS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.