Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I have great news- my fiancé's interview was two days ago and he was approved!

Here is a summary of his interview (I was not there, so this description may not be as detailed as others'):

He arrived at the Embassy at 6:45 for an appointment at 7:15, went through all the security checkpoints, and then waited in the outside area for 2 hours. Finally they called his name and asked him to submit his DS-156, DS-156K, and DS-230. Then they told him to wait again. This time he waited, and waited, and waited for 4 HOURS! During this wait he had a very good viewpoint of what was going on for other applicants in their interviews and many people went ahead of him (one lady was denied a tourist visa to see her friend, but refused to leave the interview window- she proceeded to complain that she had proof of everything needed and that they should give her the visa for half an hour- finally it was granted and she did a dance!). My fiancé and two other K3 applicants were the only ones who had to wait for such a long time. My fiancé could see which interviewers were nice vs. mean and which ones were likely to deny vs. approve so he prayed for the nice woman to call his name. And four hours later, she did!

During the interview, she asked for his passport-sized photos and affidavit of support (which she barely looked at). She was very nice and carried out the interview as if it were a conversation. She asked him if he had met my parents (he hasn't) and if I had met his, when we met for the first time, and went through some of the photographs I had submitted with the I-129F (she returned them to him after). Then she promptly told him, "Everything seems to be in order. Your passport will be available in one-week with the visa. Welcome to your new life!" He said he would have hugged her if there was no glass between them!

Now we hope for him to join me in the US in 2 weeks, get married right away, and start the process for the green card. If anyone has questions about specific parts of the process, I can follow-up with my fiancé. I know this thread on VJ has been very helpful to us and we are very happy to help others!

For those still undergoing the process, all the best of luck. The wait, and paperwork, pays off... Now on to the next challenge!

Averie, congratulations! That's wonderful news. Enjoy every second together! Stay blessed.

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Congratulations!!! That's so exciting! I hope we have the same luck in a month or two :)

I agree. Congrats on the approval averie.

Samantha, I see your case complete was 5/7. Our case complete was 5/10. Maybe our husband's will have their interviews scheduled on or around the same day. We are praying hard for a july interview date but I know there is a good chance that the dates will be assigned for August since the embassy is so busy. Have you heard of anyone who recently had an interview date assigned for Nairobi? I often search but find very few cr1/ir1 applicants going through Nairobi here on Visa Journey.

Edited by mrsaloto

2013 began CR1 process

Fast forward to:

2/24/16- Husband received 10 year green card

Starting the process over again for our daughter (IR2):

1/13/16 NOA1 from Potomac Service Center

4/5/16 NOA2!

4/7/16 Case sent to NVC

4/22/16 Received NVC Case and Invoice Numbers

4/22/16 Submitted DS-261

4/22/16 Invoice for AOS Received. Paid AOS Fee

4/25/16 AOS Fee shows as PAID

4/27/16 Invoice for IV Received. Paid IV Fee

4/29/16 IV Fee Shows as PAID

4/29/16 Submitted DS-260

5/6/16 Sent AOS and IV packages

5/9/16 AOS and IV packages received by NVC

5/9/16 Scan Date

6/10/16 Case Complete

8/8/16 Received Interview Date

9/20/16 Interview Date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

Here is a summary of his interview (I was not there, so this description may not be as detailed as others'):

He arrived at the Embassy at 6:45 for an appointment at 7:15, went through all the security checkpoints, and then waited in the outside area for 2 hours. Finally they called his name and asked him to submit his DS-156, DS-156K, and DS-230. Then they told him to wait again. This time he waited, and waited, and waited for 4 HOURS! During this wait he had a very good viewpoint of what was going on for other applicants in their interviews and many people went ahead of him (one lady was denied a tourist visa to see her friend, but refused to leave the interview window- she proceeded to complain that she had proof of everything needed and that they should give her the visa for half an hour- finally it was granted and she did a dance!). My fiancé and two other K3 applicants were the only ones who had to wait for such a long time. My fiancé could see which interviewers were nice vs. mean and which ones were likely to deny vs. approve so he prayed for the nice woman to call his name. And four hours later, she did!

During the interview, she asked for his passport-sized photos and affidavit of support (which she barely looked at). She was very nice and carried out the interview as if it were a conversation. She asked him if he had met my parents (he hasn't) and if I had met his, when we met for the first time, and went through some of the photographs I had submitted with the I-129F (she returned them to him after). Then she promptly told him, "Everything seems to be in order. Your passport will be available in one-week with the visa. Welcome to your new life!" He said he would have hugged her if there was no glass between them!

Now we hope for him to join me in the US in 2 weeks, get married right away, and start the process for the green card. If anyone has questions about specific parts of the process, I can follow-up with my fiancé. I know this thread on VJ has been very helpful to us and we are very happy to help others!

For those still undergoing the process, all the best of luck. The wait, and paperwork, pays off... Now on to the next challenge!

Great news ! Congrats to you both :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Congratulations kicking.gif

K1 visa journey

1/10/12 - NOA1
6/ 8 /12 - NOA2
6/20/12 - Received at NVC
6/21/12 - Assigned case number and sent to consulate
6/25/12 - Received at Nairobi Embassy
6/27/12 - Email from Nairobi Embassy (packet 3/instructions)
8/22/12 - Interview - APPROVED
8/29/12 - Received visa
10/14/12 - POE (Boston)
12/12/12 - Wedding ❤❤❤

AOS/EAD/AP

1/18/13 - Package delivered at Chicago lockbox
1/24/13 - NOA1 (email and text)for AOS/EAD/AP
1/25/13 - Received biometrics appointment letter and NOA1s letters
2/12/13 - Biometrics at 1.00pm (Lawrence, MA)
3/15/13 - EAD/AP approved, 3/21/13 mailed
3/23/13 - Received EAD/AP combo

8/27/13 - AOS approved & subsequent card production ordered (no interview)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

I agree. Congrats on the approval averie.

Samantha, I see your case complete was 5/7. Our case complete was 5/10. Maybe our husband's will have their interviews scheduled on or around the same day. We are praying hard for a july interview date but I know there is a good chance that the dates will be assigned for August since the embassy is so busy. Have you heard of anyone who recently had an interview date assigned for Nairobi? I often search but find very few cr1/ir1 applicants going through Nairobi here on Visa Journey.

So I'm a little confused. Are we supposed to be waiting for a letter to be mailed to the applicant? He hasn't gotten anything yet and I wasn't sure if we are just supposed to call and schedule one. Can I just call the embassy and schedule one?

Also I've been trying and Wilson has been trying to call the IOM--the medical place where he would need to have the Dr. appt --and they're not answering. There is like 6 different numbers they say to try calling, but none of them pick up!!!!

So I'm a little confused. Are we supposed to be waiting for a letter to be mailed to the applicant? He hasn't gotten anything yet and I wasn't sure if we are just supposed to call and schedule one. Can I just call the embassy and schedule one?

Also I've been trying and Wilson has been trying to call the IOM--the medical place where he would need to have the Dr. appt --and they're not answering. There is like 6 different numbers they say to try calling, but none of them pick up!!!!

You and Wilson are applying for an IR1/CR1 visa right? If so, then NVC will notify you of an assigned interview date, you don't get to choose. The K1 visa applicants get to schedule their own interview dates but not us :( It seems to be taking about 6-8 weeks after case complete before the interview email is sent out for CR1/IR1 applicants. The Kenya Embassy is currently one of the slowest in the world at scheduling the interviews. I am praying we get an interview date assigned in the next week or so but I know there is a good chance that we won't get our interview dates assigned until the beginning of July for August interviews.

As far as IOM goes, I know they relocated their offices last week to a new address. Try looking on the embassy website for a new phone number. Wilson can't go for his medical until his interview is.assigned so unfortunately you'll have to wait on that too.

Lots and lots of waiting for us right now. I am going a bit crazy from all the waiting.

2013 began CR1 process

Fast forward to:

4/5/16 NOA2!

4/7/16 Case sent to NVC

4/22/16 Submitted DS-261

4/29/16 Submitted DS-260

5/9/16 Scan Date

6/10/16 Case Complete

9/20/16 Interview Date

Timeline

You and Wilson are applying for an IR1/CR1 visa right? If so, then NVC will notify you of an assigned interview date, you don't get to choose. The K1 visa applicants get to schedule their own interview dates but not us sad.png It seems to be taking about 6-8 weeks after case complete before the interview email is sent out for CR1/IR1 applicants. The Kenya Embassy is currently one of the slowest in the world at scheduling the interviews. I am praying we get an interview date assigned in the next week or so but I know there is a good chance that we won't get our interview dates assigned until the beginning of July for August interviews.

As far as IOM goes, I know they relocated their offices last week to a new address. Try looking on the embassy website for a new phone number. Wilson can't go for his medical until his interview is.assigned so unfortunately you'll have to wait on that too.

Lots and lots of waiting for us right now. I am going a bit crazy from all the waiting.

Yeah...I've had enough...I'm going over there in a couple weeks. I haven't bought a ticket yet cuz I thought I could fly cheap standby, but yesterday I was reading that standby is comparable to buying online. I'm going to call ASAPtickets.com soon and see what they can do. One way ticket there....wait for the interview....come back one way with Wilson. As soon as he gets the letter or email about the interview date I'm calling the embassy and going to try and get a closer date. ri-di-cu-lous the amount of waiting. I see it as cruel punishment. I mean, it's not like we're skyping everyday and talking on the phone all the time....he has to pay to get into a town with an internet cafe, and he doesn't know how to use a computer at all and they are asking him to scan and email or fax his passport ....I can only help so much from 8000 miles away. My work is only allowing me to take two weeks off, so f*** 'em. I'll find another job when I get back. Can't stand the loneliness anymore.

Yeah...I've had enough...I'm going over there in a couple weeks. I haven't bought a ticket yet cuz I thought I could fly cheap standby, but yesterday I was reading that standby is comparable to buying online. I'm going to call ASAPtickets.com soon and see what they can do. One way ticket there....wait for the interview....come back one way with Wilson. As soon as he gets the letter or email about the interview date I'm calling the embassy and going to try and get a closer date. ri-di-cu-lous the amount of waiting. I see it as cruel punishment. I mean, it's not like we're skyping everyday and talking on the phone all the time....he has to pay to get into a town with an internet cafe, and he doesn't know how to use a computer at all and they are asking him to scan and email or fax his passport ....I can only help so much from 8000 miles away. My work is only allowing me to take two weeks off, so f*** 'em. I'll find another job when I get back. Can't stand the loneliness anymore.

Believe me, I feel where you are coming from. Unfortunately, financially I am unable to make a trip to Uganda at this point or I would be on the next plane out of here. I am so lonely. As you know, internet is hard to come by in East Africa unless you have some good money so I haven't been able to Skype with David since I last saw him in person in August. We are lucky that I can call him every day but you know how expensive that is :( I am trying to stay strong and tell myself that we are almost there but now that all that remains is the interview and medical, I am having a tough time being patient to receive the interview. I never, ever imagined I would have to spend a whole year away from David or I never would have left Uganda in August. Hang in there. I'll be thinking of you.

2013 began CR1 process

Fast forward to:

4/5/16 NOA2!

4/7/16 Case sent to NVC

4/22/16 Submitted DS-261

4/29/16 Submitted DS-260

5/9/16 Scan Date

6/10/16 Case Complete

9/20/16 Interview Date

Timeline

Believe me, I feel where you are coming from. Unfortunately, financially I am unable to make a trip to Uganda at this point or I would be on the next plane out of here. I am so lonely. As you know, internet is hard to come by in East Africa unless you have some good money so I haven't been able to Skype with David since I last saw him in person in August. We are lucky that I can call him every day but you know how expensive that is sad.png I am trying to stay strong and tell myself that we are almost there but now that all that remains is the interview and medical, I am having a tough time being patient to receive the interview. I never, ever imagined I would have to spend a whole year away from David or I never would have left Uganda in August. Hang in there. I'll be thinking of you.

I can't afford it either. But thank god for credit cards....I'll be regretting saying that later, but I think it's worth it. I haven't seen Wilson since August either. What does David do in Uganda? Wilson has a small shop on his mom's farm, but it's mostly subsistence farming.

I can't afford it either. But thank god for credit cards....I'll be regretting saying that later, but I think it's worth it. I haven't seen Wilson since August either. What does David do in Uganda? Wilson has a small shop on his mom's farm, but it's mostly subsistence farming.

Haha, believe me, I know. I am still in a whole lot of credit card debt from the last three trips I made to see my husband. But when you love someone the credit debt is a small price to pay, right? It is definitely worth it!

David and I started an NGO over a year ago so he runs the NGO business side right now and I run the fund raising/awareness side in the US. We have a care project (orphanage) of 25 abandoned Ugandan kids in eastern Uganda. Keeps us pretty busy but we sure do love the kids we care for. We initially met years ago when we were both working for the same NGO there.

2013 began CR1 process

Fast forward to:

4/5/16 NOA2!

4/7/16 Case sent to NVC

4/22/16 Submitted DS-261

4/29/16 Submitted DS-260

5/9/16 Scan Date

6/10/16 Case Complete

9/20/16 Interview Date

Filed: IR-5 Country: Uganda
Timeline

Mrsaloto, how long does it take filing for a spouse which is the CR1 I believe, from the time USC files to case complete. Roughly how long? My friend is Ugandan married to an American man and getting ready to file.

Haha, believe me, I know. I am still in a whole lot of credit card debt from the last three trips I made to see my husband. But when you love someone the credit debt is a small price to pay, right? It is definitely worth it!

David and I started an NGO over a year ago so he runs the NGO business side right now and I run the fund raising/awareness side in the US. We have a care project (orphanage) of 25 abandoned Ugandan kids in eastern Uganda. Keeps us pretty busy but we sure do love the kids we care for. We initially met years ago when we were both working for the same NGO there.

Mrsaloto, how long does it take filing for a spouse which is the CR1 I believe, from the time USC files to case complete. Roughly how long? My friend is Ugandan married to an American man and getting ready to file.

Well, we filed September 12, 2012 and still do not have an interview assigned (case is complete at NVC, just waiting for Nairobi to assign an interview date for July or August) so in our personal case, our process will take just under a year from beginning to end. Some cases may go faster or slower than that. Just prepare your friend to be in for a long wait...

Did you get an interview assigned for your parents yet?

Edited by mrsaloto

2013 began CR1 process

Fast forward to:

4/5/16 NOA2!

4/7/16 Case sent to NVC

4/22/16 Submitted DS-261

4/29/16 Submitted DS-260

5/9/16 Scan Date

6/10/16 Case Complete

9/20/16 Interview Date

Filed: IR-5 Country: Uganda
Timeline

Still waiting for interview date. Not yet assigned. Was told it takes 2 to 3 months after case complete.

Well, we filed September 12, 2012 and still do not have an interview assigned (case is complete at NVC, just waiting for Nairobi to assign an interview date for July or August) so in our personal case, our process will take just under a year from beginning to end. Some cases may go faster or slower than that. Just prepare your friend to be in for a long wait...

Did you get an interview assigned for your parents yet?

Timeline

can someone tell me if there is a fee for the interview or to get the green card (ir1/cr1)? we are trying to plan for the expenses coming up. Case is complete at NVC just awaiting the interview to be scheduled. I'm figuring ~$300 for the medical appt....there's another fee though isn't there? mv4 or something? i'm having trouble finding it online

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.