Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

hi congrats,,im in boston USA and my gf is in Kenya, we have decided to get going on getting her here for an visit. shall we go the college way, or vacation? we been talking online since december, can anyone help?

Most people on this thread have gone or are going through the Nairobi embassy for fiance/ee or spouse visas, so there may not be a lot of knowledge here about other types.

I'm not sure what you mean by "college way"--has she applied to some type of educational program here in the U.S.? I know people who have traveled to the U.S. for short fellowships and have been sponsored for exchange visitor visas by the institutions offering the programs, but the application/selection process for these programs is lengthy and the chance of being selected for a reputable one is very small (even for someone who has the particular educational/employment background desired), so it would be a lot of effort (both before and during the program, if accepted) and uncertainty to go through if the real objective is to visit a U.S. boyfriend. Plus, concealing the real purpose of the trip may backfire if you end up applying for family-based immigration benefits later, which would of course greatly benefit from being able to show relationship history before/during the visit.

As for tourist visas, these are very difficult to obtain through Nairobi for anyone who is young and doesn't have strong evidence of ties to Kenya (owning property; having dependents to return to; having long-term, stable employment history, etc.). My Ugandan sister-in-law has lived in Nairobi for 6+ years, is married to a Kenyan man, and has 2 small children, and was not approved for a tourist visa to attend our wedding.

Have you thought about going to Kenya to visit her, instead?

Edited by afoyoswa

Joy (& Aaron, who doesn't read/post here yet)

Dec. 27, 2010: First met each other in Entebbe, Uganda while I was visiting my friend/his cousin (12/27/10 - 1/10/11) (visited again Jul. 2-9, 2011 and Dec. 24, 2011 - Jan. 9, 2012; engaged 1/7/12)

K-1

Feb. 18, 2012: I-129F sent (delivered 2/21 per USPS & USCIS; NOA1 notice date 2/23/12; check cashed/email/text 2/24)

Aug. 9, 2012: NOA2!!! [NOA1 +168 days] (reached NVC 8/17, left NVC 8/20; @embassy 8/24; embassy confirmed receipt 9/5)

Oct. 24 - Nov. 8, 2012: I visited again (Nairobi: medical 10/31; interview 11/5 [NOA1 +256 days]; result--APPROVED!!!!!!!)

Nov. 15, 2012: Visa in hand (was ready for retrieval 11/12/12)

Nov. 20, 2012: POE, Boston!!! (legal marriage 12/12/12; family/friends wedding ceremony 1/12/13) (276 days)

AOS/EAD/AP

Feb. 4, 2013: AOS packet sent (delivered 2/6, NOA1 text/email & check cashed 2/11 midnight)

Feb. 11, 2013: NOA1 notice date for I-485, EAD, AP (I-485/EAD NOA1 hard copies & biometrics appt letter arrived 2/16, badly mangled AP NOA1 arrived 2/27; biometrics done 3/4/13)

Apr. 3, 2013: EAD & AP approved (received card 4/11)

Aug. 16, 2013: I-485 approved & green card production ordered!!!! (card arrived 8/26/13) (193 days)

ROC

2015 sometime? I've slept since then.

Naturalization

Dec. 20, 2019: N-400 submitted online (Boston, MA field office)

Jan. 9, 2020: Biometrics

Feb. 4, 2020: updated wait time = 4 months (estimated case completion June 2020)

Aug. 7, 2020: interview scheduled (!), but no idea when

Sept. 16, 2020: interview, Boston (approved)

Sept. 24, 2020: oath ceremony, Boston---DONE!!! (279 days from submission)

230Hm5.pngxrcBm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Bostonmale ~ Welcome to VJ. The chances of your girlfriend obtaining a Visitor’s Visa from the Nairobi Embassy is highly unlikely and close to impossible. The Nairobi Embassy can be difficult to say the least, and it would be a waste of your time and money to even try (and I am in no way being negative here...…I am being realistic and 100% honest with you). It would be easier and more beneficial for you both if you would go to Kenya to visit with her. This will enable you to apply for the appropriate visa for her in the future. I would not recommend going to Kenya and marrying her on your first visit (this raises a red flag at the Nairobi Embassy). Most successful couples going through Nairobi who were married did not marry on their first visit and their significant others spent a sizeable amount of time in Kenya with them before marrying (in many cases taking several trips to Kenya over a period of time). I strongly advise you to read through this thread – it is chock full of valuable information that will help you. You should go to Kenya to visit with your girlfriend and then take it from there. You should save all of your receipts, airline confirmations, hotel receipts, etc., because you will need them should you apply for a fiancee visa for her in the future. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by Ben and Jill

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Just chiming in to ditto what everyone else has said - there's essentially no way your girlfriend is going to get a tourist visa. Best to go to Kenya to visit her instead.

If she's legitimately interested in getting a student visa (though there are significant hurdles to this - my husband and I looked into it at first because he DID want to go to school - and he does, now that he's here - but it was also really difficult unless you had a LOT of money put away and ties to Kenya etc. Also you really shouldn't do this if her goal isn't really to go to school, but is really just to come visit you.) there's a forum on VJ for student visas.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Filed: Country: Kenya
Timeline

Most people on this thread have gone or are going through the Nairobi embassy for fiance/ee or spouse visas, so there may not be a lot of knowledge here about other types.

I'm not sure what you mean by "college way"--has she applied to some type of educational program here in the U.S.? I know people who have traveled to the U.S. for short fellowships and have been sponsored for exchange visitor visas by the institutions offering the programs, but the application/selection process for these programs is lengthy and the chance of being selected for a reputable one is very small (even for someone who has the particular educational/employment background desired), so it would be a lot of effort (both before and during the program, if accepted) and uncertainty to go through if the real objective is to visit a U.S. boyfriend. Plus, concealing the real purpose of the trip may backfire if you end up applying for family-based immigration benefits later, which would of course greatly benefit from being able to show relationship history before/during the visit.

As for tourist visas, these are very difficult to obtain through Nairobi for anyone who is young and doesn't have strong evidence of ties to Kenya (owning property; having dependents to return to; having long-term, stable employment history, etc.). My Ugandan sister-in-law has lived in Nairobi for 6+ years, is married to a Kenyan man, and has 2 small children, and was not approved for a tourist visa to attend our wedding.

Have you thought about going to Kenya to visit her, instead?

Timeline

Thank you very much for your time and concern and experience. We werent sure yet what to do. She does have an baby and family there. And yes i would go there with out an problem,,just we thought if we could get her here instead she could stay longer. The intention is to get married for sure. We dont have money in savings to do anything extreme. And the chances of her coming here on Visitor is slim too? We didnt want to get each others hops up until we asked you all what to do. We dont mind waiting an couple of years if we have to go the fiance route. Is there alot of money involved? I been supporting her and baby since dec 2012.

i do work fulltime and have an supervisors job in retail. I dont have an mortgage or student loans nor does she.

Timeline

Thank you very much for your time and concern and experience. We werent sure yet what to do. She does have an baby and family there. And yes i would go there with out an problem,,just we thought if we could get her here instead she could stay longer. The intention is to get married for sure. We dont have money in savings to do anything extreme. And the chances of her coming here on Visitor is slim too? We didnt want to get each others hops up until we asked you all what to do. We dont mind waiting an couple of years if we have to go the fiance route. Is there alot of money involved? I been supporting her and baby since dec 2012.

i do work fulltime and have an supervisors job in retail. I dont have an mortgage or student loans nor does she.

So how did u all do it?

So how did u all do it?

how did u all meet?

Timeline

we are both over 35 lol so we established in some ways, but not alot of money

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

So how did u all do it?

how did u all meet?

Our situation was quite different from yours, but just for reference:

We met each other in person first (met by chance through a friend/family member), then talked on the phone/via email for half a year before beginning a serious relationship and another half a year after that before talking about marriage. By the time we applied for the fiance visa, we'd known each other over a year and I'd visited 3 times. He got approved for his visa just before the 2 year point, during my 4th visit.

To go through Nairobi for a fiance/spouse visa, you're going to want to have a lot of very solid relationship history before getting started: partially because that's what difficult consulates like Nairobi will want to see, but mostly because it's a long, uncertain, difficult process and many couples will never survive it otherwise.

And it is definitely not inexpensive! I took a second job to help save up for the trips, fees, etc. and that made a huge difference, so this is one area where planning ahead is huge. You will also want to make sure that your income meets the U.S. poverty guidelines if you plan to sponsor her, or know someone who will agree to be a co-sponsor. (Use the VJ search function to find more about this.)

Joy (& Aaron, who doesn't read/post here yet)

Dec. 27, 2010: First met each other in Entebbe, Uganda while I was visiting my friend/his cousin (12/27/10 - 1/10/11) (visited again Jul. 2-9, 2011 and Dec. 24, 2011 - Jan. 9, 2012; engaged 1/7/12)

K-1

Feb. 18, 2012: I-129F sent (delivered 2/21 per USPS & USCIS; NOA1 notice date 2/23/12; check cashed/email/text 2/24)

Aug. 9, 2012: NOA2!!! [NOA1 +168 days] (reached NVC 8/17, left NVC 8/20; @embassy 8/24; embassy confirmed receipt 9/5)

Oct. 24 - Nov. 8, 2012: I visited again (Nairobi: medical 10/31; interview 11/5 [NOA1 +256 days]; result--APPROVED!!!!!!!)

Nov. 15, 2012: Visa in hand (was ready for retrieval 11/12/12)

Nov. 20, 2012: POE, Boston!!! (legal marriage 12/12/12; family/friends wedding ceremony 1/12/13) (276 days)

AOS/EAD/AP

Feb. 4, 2013: AOS packet sent (delivered 2/6, NOA1 text/email & check cashed 2/11 midnight)

Feb. 11, 2013: NOA1 notice date for I-485, EAD, AP (I-485/EAD NOA1 hard copies & biometrics appt letter arrived 2/16, badly mangled AP NOA1 arrived 2/27; biometrics done 3/4/13)

Apr. 3, 2013: EAD & AP approved (received card 4/11)

Aug. 16, 2013: I-485 approved & green card production ordered!!!! (card arrived 8/26/13) (193 days)

ROC

2015 sometime? I've slept since then.

Naturalization

Dec. 20, 2019: N-400 submitted online (Boston, MA field office)

Jan. 9, 2020: Biometrics

Feb. 4, 2020: updated wait time = 4 months (estimated case completion June 2020)

Aug. 7, 2020: interview scheduled (!), but no idea when

Sept. 16, 2020: interview, Boston (approved)

Sept. 24, 2020: oath ceremony, Boston---DONE!!! (279 days from submission)

230Hm5.pngxrcBm5.png

Timeline

So how did u all do it?

how did u all meet?

We met when I was a volunteer in Kenya, but I went back for a couple of visits after my service was over and I had moved back to the states. Then we did the K-1.

Definitely not inexpensive...you do either have to make enough money to sponsor for a K-1 OR have a cosponsor - same with adjustment of status once you are married. Also just the fees and stuff...dang. Quick calculation I would say conservative estimate that we've spent at least $4000 with all of the fees, medical exams, and his flight here - probably more than that, really. Definitely more than that if you throw in my flights back there to visit while we were apart. It's worth it though, of course, and most of those costs are spread out over time so you have time to save up for say, the adjustment of status fee or the removal of conditions fee.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Hi everyone,

I am happy to report that we are moving right along through the NVC stage for David's visa. Hoping to have a case complete by the end of the month/beginning of May. I know most of you were the K-1 visa route so you may not know the answer but I am going to ask anyway ;) I have researched those who recently had CR-1/IR-1 interviews scheduled and noticed that Nairobi has been scheduling the interview at least 3 months after case complete. If David's interview is scheduled that far away, is it possible to request a sooner date from the Embassy? Any suggestions as to how I should go about contacting them if I want to submit a request for a sooner date? I am getting impatient with this whole process and I really do not want to wait another 3 months for his interview. I miss him so much. Thanks to all in advance. Hope you all are well.

2013 began CR1 process

Fast forward to:

2/24/16- Husband received 10 year green card

Starting the process over again for our daughter (IR2):

1/13/16 NOA1 from Potomac Service Center

4/5/16 NOA2!

4/7/16 Case sent to NVC

4/22/16 Received NVC Case and Invoice Numbers

4/22/16 Submitted DS-261

4/22/16 Invoice for AOS Received. Paid AOS Fee

4/25/16 AOS Fee shows as PAID

4/27/16 Invoice for IV Received. Paid IV Fee

4/29/16 IV Fee Shows as PAID

4/29/16 Submitted DS-260

5/6/16 Sent AOS and IV packages

5/9/16 AOS and IV packages received by NVC

5/9/16 Scan Date

6/10/16 Case Complete

8/8/16 Received Interview Date

9/20/16 Interview Date

Timeline

We met when I was a volunteer in Kenya, but I went back for a couple of visits after my service was over and I had moved back to the states. Then we did the K-1.

Definitely not inexpensive...you do either have to make enough money to sponsor for a K-1 OR have a cosponsor - same with adjustment of status once you are married. Also just the fees and stuff...dang. Quick calculation I would say conservative estimate that we've spent at least $4000 with all of the fees, medical exams, and his flight here - probably more than that, really. Definitely more than that if you throw in my flights back there to visit while we were apart. It's worth it though, of course, and most of those costs are spread out over time so you have time to save up for say, the adjustment of status fee or the removal of conditions fee.

Oh ok thank you, I have been sending her money every month, so im sure that documentation will help. we talk everyday on FB and sometimes phone.. so its been since dec 2012 that we met online. Hence why we want to take the next step. With having Family and an child in Kenya that will assure she will come back there.

Right now shes in between jobs, her recent one wasnt paying money at the end for months and folded the tour company that was very lucrative before. So we trying to figure out whether she should job seek, school or put her efforts into,coming here or me going there? I didnt want to spend the money to go there if thats not going to help us get her here, but if thats what i should do now thats feasible. we also know it would take 2 years or more to finally get her here so we patient with that. Thanks for your input and time. So go there first?

Timeline

Oh ok thank you, I have been sending her money every month, so im sure that documentation will help. we talk everyday on FB and sometimes phone.. so its been since dec 2012 that we met online. Hence why we want to take the next step. With having Family and an child in Kenya that will assure she will come back there.

Right now shes in between jobs, her recent one wasnt paying money at the end for months and folded the tour company that was very lucrative before. So we trying to figure out whether she should job seek, school or put her efforts into,coming here or me going there? I didnt want to spend the money to go there if thats not going to help us get her here, but if thats what i should do now thats feasible. we also know it would take 2 years or more to finally get her here so we patient with that. Thanks for your input and time. So go there first?

Yes, I would say that's your best bet - go visit her, spend time together there, see where you want to go from there. If you decide then that you want to get married for sure and pursue the K-1, great. In the meantime, I'd say she should look for work...the only reason I suggest that over going to school in Kenya is that basically none of my husband's classes that he had taken beyond high school (he had a couple of certificates, etc) counted for anything when he got to the US. If you're serious about eventually marrying and having her here, I think going to school here can be a better choice.

The thing about spending the money to go there is this: if she got the tourist visa, let's say, you'd be spending the money for her to come here to visit (same cost) and return to Kenya, and then possibly/hopefully another ticket in the future for her to move to the US later upon getting the K-1 or whatever. So really you aren't spending unnecessary money. Plus you get to see Kenya, which is an absolutely amazing country :) Bonus!

Hope that helps a bit. When you go, make sure to save EVERYTHING, so that if you do go for a K-1/CR-1 you have evidence for it later.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Naturalization

Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am happy to report that we are moving right along through the NVC stage for David's visa. Hoping to have a case complete by the end of the month/beginning of May. I know most of you were the K-1 visa route so you may not know the answer but I am going to ask anyway ;) I have researched those who recently had CR-1/IR-1 interviews scheduled and noticed that Nairobi has been scheduling the interview at least 3 months after case complete. If David's interview is scheduled that far away, is it possible to request a sooner date from the Embassy? Any suggestions as to how I should go about contacting them if I want to submit a request for a sooner date? I am getting impatient with this whole process and I really do not want to wait another 3 months for his interview. I miss him so much. Thanks to all in advance. Hope you all are well.

Emily, once the NVC schedules your interview with Nairobi, I believe the only thing you can do is email the Embassy and request an earlier date than the one already given. I believe that's all you can do. Emailing them is easier than calling because it's rare you would EVER get anyone from the Consular Section on the phone...I never had any luck with that (and it's even more difficult with the time difference). I know the wait for the interview is quite long - they seem to be getting longer these days. I'm sorry for that. Once it's scheduled, email them and see if anything can be done. I doubt it, but I will keep my fingers crossed for you because one never knows. Good luck and stay patient and strong, my friend. You're almost there :luv: Sorry if this posted twice, VJ website is acting up a bit, LOL.

Edited by Ben and Jill

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Yes, I would say that's your best bet - go visit her, spend time together there, see where you want to go from there. If you decide then that you want to get married for sure and pursue the K-1, great. In the meantime, I'd say she should look for work...the only reason I suggest that over going to school in Kenya is that basically none of my husband's classes that he had taken beyond high school (he had a couple of certificates, etc) counted for anything when he got to the US. If you're serious about eventually marrying and having her here, I think going to school here can be a better choice.

The thing about spending the money to go there is this: if she got the tourist visa, let's say, you'd be spending the money for her to come here to visit (same cost) and return to Kenya, and then possibly/hopefully another ticket in the future for her to move to the US later upon getting the K-1 or whatever. So really you aren't spending unnecessary money. Plus you get to see Kenya, which is an absolutely amazing country :) Bonus!

Hope that helps a bit. When you go, make sure to save EVERYTHING, so that if you do go for a K-1/CR-1 you have evidence for it later.

Just chiming in to agree with Katie and Joy. We all believe that the best thing for you to do is to go there first. There is really no chance of your girlfriend obtaining a Visitor’s Visa and like I said before, it will be a waste of your valuable time and money (trust us…we know the Nairobi Embassy and we would never guide you in the wrong direction). Go to Kenya…it’s the most wonderful experience you will ever have and you will come to appreciate everything in life, including your girl friend, all the more. It’s an experience that completely changed my life for the better. You need to go there and experience her home country ~ otherwise I don’t believe you will fully understand her or appreciate where she’s come from. And like Katie said, it’s in no way an inexpensive process. You should read through this thread (like I previously advised) and read through the K-1 guidelines in the “Guides” section of the VJ website. I’d have to sit and figure out exactly how much it cost us from beginning to end (even the phone bill – oh boyyyyy, LOL), but it’s worth every penny. You need to start somewhere…start by going to Kenya and meeting her. Over time (sooner rather than later) you should read and research as much as you can about this process from start to finish, including all the paperwork, relationship evidence, etc., that you will need in order to do a thorough and efficient job when it comes time to file the first round of paperwork. It can be overwhelming, so read, research, and learn as much as you can!

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.