Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Would there have been any place for the U.S. citizen to wait without standing outside the complex?

Not right outside, but down the street there is a Java House (mmm, Java House - I miss it) like G & Oxy said. Village Market is a little further away, though it does have a few more things there to occupy your time.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Timeline

Gloria~

That is an absolutely thorough and lovely review. Thank you for posting your experience as it will help others who are currently going through the process. Things have changed a little since Ben and I went through so thank you. I know so many others are thankful for your post and will benefit from it.

Yes, I firmly believe that a decision is made before you attend the interview. I know many people don't know this...and it's not a requirement on the I-129F petition, but, frontloading your petition with relationship evidence is key, especially when you're going through an Embassy such as Nairobi. Like I've said in the past, Ben's was approved before he was even asked a single question (just like yours) :star:(F)

Congrats on everything...I knew you'd glide right on through...and you did, and you didn't have the blonde woman! Yeah!!!! :help: Stay blessed and lots of love, xoxoxo.

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Gloria~

That is an absolutely thorough and lovely review. Thank you for posting your experience as it will help others who are currently going through the process. Things have changed a little since Ben and I went through so thank you. I know so many others are thankful for your post and will benefit from it.

Yes, I firmly believe that a decision is made before you attend the interview. I know many people don't know this...and it's not a requirement on the I-129F petition, but, frontloading your petition with relationship evidence is key, especially when you're going through an Embassy such as Nairobi. Like I've said in the past, Ben's was approved before he was even asked a single question (just like yours) :star:(F)

Congrats on everything...I knew you'd glide right on through...and you did, and you didn't have the blonde woman! Yeah!!!! :help: Stay blessed and lots of love, xoxoxo.

Jill,

Thank you for your kind words and for all your guidance.

K1 visa journey

1/10/12 - NOA1
6/ 8 /12 - NOA2
6/20/12 - Received at NVC
6/21/12 - Assigned case number and sent to consulate
6/25/12 - Received at Nairobi Embassy
6/27/12 - Email from Nairobi Embassy (packet 3/instructions)
8/22/12 - Interview - APPROVED
8/29/12 - Received visa
10/14/12 - POE (Boston)
12/12/12 - Wedding ❤❤❤

AOS/EAD/AP

1/18/13 - Package delivered at Chicago lockbox
1/24/13 - NOA1 (email and text)for AOS/EAD/AP
1/25/13 - Received biometrics appointment letter and NOA1s letters
2/12/13 - Biometrics at 1.00pm (Lawrence, MA)
3/15/13 - EAD/AP approved, 3/21/13 mailed
3/23/13 - Received EAD/AP combo

8/27/13 - AOS approved & subsequent card production ordered (no interview)

Gloria~

We didn't frontload our petition :( . We didn't even know we had to go through Nairobi until the last minute.

So, after I was told on Friday that our case was undergoing "additional processing" and got really worried that this was some sort of unanticipated glitch, I called NVC today and apparently our petition was shipped out to Nairobi yesterday! :dance:

I know that I am supposed to email them to find out when they have received it, yes? And then we can pay the visa fee and get this show on the road as far as scheduling?

Could anyone who's scheduled a medical exam + interview recently comment on how far ahead the available dates usually are? Once we get the date, I'm going to book my flight to go over there, so I'm wondering how much advance notice I'll likely have.

Hi,

I scheduled my interview appointment this morning (with great assistance from Gloria - G & Oxy)and I made a print screen of the interview calender. You may find the dates available.

post-119744-0-55018700-1346149367_thumb.jpg

Timeline

We didn't frontload our petition :( . We didn't even know we had to go through Nairobi until the last minute.

Try not to worry too much. We didn't frontload our petition either and we had a 5 minute interview. Everyone's experience is different - we had a really positive Nairobi Embassy experience, so it is possible!

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Timeline

Oh, don't worry...it's OK. There are many who don't because they just don't know, and they come through just fine. Like Katie said, don't worry about it. They didn't frontload theirs and they did great! Just bring relationship evidence with you to the interview! :thumbs:

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

Hi,

I scheduled my interview appointment this morning (with great assistance from Gloria - G & Oxy)and I made a print screen of the interview calender. You may find the dates available.

It's so helpful to know what the interview calendar looks like! Thanks so much, and good luck with your interview!

Joy (& Aaron, who doesn't read/post here yet)

Dec. 27, 2010: First met each other in Entebbe, Uganda while I was visiting my friend/his cousin (12/27/10 - 1/10/11) (visited again Jul. 2-9, 2011 and Dec. 24, 2011 - Jan. 9, 2012; engaged 1/7/12)

K-1

Feb. 18, 2012: I-129F sent (delivered 2/21 per USPS & USCIS; NOA1 notice date 2/23/12; check cashed/email/text 2/24)

Aug. 9, 2012: NOA2!!! [NOA1 +168 days] (reached NVC 8/17, left NVC 8/20; @embassy 8/24; embassy confirmed receipt 9/5)

Oct. 24 - Nov. 8, 2012: I visited again (Nairobi: medical 10/31; interview 11/5 [NOA1 +256 days]; result--APPROVED!!!!!!!)

Nov. 15, 2012: Visa in hand (was ready for retrieval 11/12/12)

Nov. 20, 2012: POE, Boston!!! (legal marriage 12/12/12; family/friends wedding ceremony 1/12/13) (276 days)

AOS/EAD/AP

Feb. 4, 2013: AOS packet sent (delivered 2/6, NOA1 text/email & check cashed 2/11 midnight)

Feb. 11, 2013: NOA1 notice date for I-485, EAD, AP (I-485/EAD NOA1 hard copies & biometrics appt letter arrived 2/16, badly mangled AP NOA1 arrived 2/27; biometrics done 3/4/13)

Apr. 3, 2013: EAD & AP approved (received card 4/11)

Aug. 16, 2013: I-485 approved & green card production ordered!!!! (card arrived 8/26/13) (193 days)

ROC

2015 sometime? I've slept since then.

Naturalization

Dec. 20, 2019: N-400 submitted online (Boston, MA field office)

Jan. 9, 2020: Biometrics

Feb. 4, 2020: updated wait time = 4 months (estimated case completion June 2020)

Aug. 7, 2020: interview scheduled (!), but no idea when

Sept. 16, 2020: interview, Boston (approved)

Sept. 24, 2020: oath ceremony, Boston---DONE!!! (279 days from submission)

230Hm5.pngxrcBm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

:dance: :dance: VISA APPROVED on August 22, 2012 :dance: :dance:

Everything went well :thumbs: Below is an overview of my medical exam (August 9 and 10, 2012) and interview.

Medicals:

Day 1 – After a brief counseling and once you have signed a consent form, your medical/vaccination history will be taken to enable them determine the requisite vaccinations. On vaccinations, the doctor/nurse at IOM will determine the ones you'll need based on your age, gender, country and any prior vaccinations. If you have any vaccination record/letter, bring it with you.

Medical examination costs $138 or Kshs 11,476 exclusive of vaccination fee. The lady recommended 4 vaccines for me as I couldn't trace my childhood vaccination/immunization record. MMR (Measles Mumps Rubella) - $26 or Kshs 2,162, Influenza ($28 or Kshs 2,328), Varicella ($54 or Kshs 4,491) and Dultravax ($32 or Kshs 2,661). The total costs for medical examination plus vaccinations = Kshs 23,119 (approximately $280). Once payment is made at their cash office, you will be called to the laboratory for a blood test. You will then be taken (in batches in IOM van) to the nearby ‘The Nairobi Hospital’ for an x-ray. After the x-ray, you are free to leave. You may ask the IOM driver to drive you back to IOM or you can find your way home/to the hotel from The Nairobi Hospital. Day 2 appointment is at 7.30am.

Day 2 - A nurse will take your detailed medical history/information and perform the usual body weight and height measurements, heart beat rate/blood pressure and eye test. The doctor will then do a body exam and he’ll let you know the outcome of your medicals. You will then be given your x-ray – they confirmed that you do not have to carry this for your visa interview. It must be carried as hand luggage as it may be required at POE. You will thereafter have the prescribed vaccinations and a Vaccination Documentation Worksheet issued to you.

Your medical results will be sent by IOM to the Embassy. I inquired from the doctor how long it takes for the results to get to the Embassy and he said that it may take at least between 24 hours to 3 days or more in some cases.

Interview

We were scheduled for Wednesday, August 22 at 7.15am. Although my fiancé was in the country, we decided that he would not accompany me to the Embassy but he would be on stand-by in case something came up. I did not want to get worried about him being outside the gate in the event that he was not allowed to accompany me inside. It really helped that he was just a stone throw away. My fiancé’s presence and support really boosted my confidence :luv:

I went through all security checks and eventually picked a number inside the consul area. You must have your Appointment confirmation email and passport to pass through all the security checks. There were not so many people inside so I was lucky to find a seat inside the consulate area as it was freezing outside. The people who came in after me had to wait outside for their numbers to be called out through the intercom. My number was called to Window 5 where a pleasant lady asked for the following documents, one by one: Two DS 156, two DS 156K, two DS 230 Part 1 only, 3 passport pics, Affidavit of Support (without any supporting evidence), original and a copy of my birth certificate, police certificate. She confirmed to me that she did not require our I-134 supporting documents, letter of continued support/updated letter of intent or any additional documents. We were well prepared just in case and we even had an extra copy of everything including our petition to USCIS. Ensure that your police certificate has a fingerprints report from the police attached to it. Another interviewee who did not have her fingerprint report was told to send the fingerprints form by DHL.

I was then called to Window 1 for fingerprinting. At 10.15am, my number was called and i went to Window 10 (a male consul officer – very nice and friendly). I agree with Jill’s earlier comment that by the time of the interview, the consulate has already made its decision and the interview is just a formality which can either confirm or revoke their decision. When I went to Window 10, the CO had stepped out for a minute and our file was open on his desk (I could see the document on top had been stamped approved! :yes: I do not think this is the NOA2 approval as the documents that I submitted at Window 5 were filed below it). The CO returned and on top of my folders and binder, was Robert Allen's Crazy Laws Lawsuits which I was reading prior to being called to the window. The CO was so pleasant, he saw the book and asked which book it was and then he told me he was also reading something on law - Mediocre/medieval law. :wow: We had something in common – we were both reading crazy legal stuff! He asked what kind of work i did and i told him i'm a lawyer, then he laughed and jokingly said 'ummmh, yours will be tricky because I cannot tell when to believe a lawyer...' I took an oath and confirmed to him that '...we lawyers understand the consequence of any statements made on oath and the dire consequence for any misrepresentation....so he better believe me.' I guess I was asked very simple questions because my fiancé had neatly arranged and frontloaded everything with our petition. The CO didn't ask to see any of the I134 supporting documents I had with me or any other documents.

1. When did you meet your fiance?

2. Where does your fiancé work?

3. How old are you? Your fiancé?

4. How many times has he visited you? Thrice...in fact he is currently in the country!! He actually believed a lawyer without asking me for any evidence of my fiance’s presence!!

He asked to see our photos. As he flipped through our album, one pic of my fiancé and I specifically caught his eye...it has the background of the beautiful Shimba Hills Lodge and the CO inquired which part of Kenya that was as he had never seen such a beautiful place.

He then told me that I was approved and handed me a green letter/slip with instructions on how to collect my visa from DHL in a week. The interview took less than 10 minutes. We are so excited to be done with this stage. My experience was a pleasant one.

Thank you all for your support and advice. To all those going through this process, do not hesitate to ask any questions. My fiancé and I wish you a smooth process in your visa journey.

Congrats and thanx for the well written review :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

:dance: :dance: VISA APPROVED on August 22, 2012 :dance: :dance:

Everything went well :thumbs: Below is an overview of my medical exam (August 9 and 10, 2012) and interview.

Medicals:

Day 1 – After a brief counseling and once you have signed a consent form, your medical/vaccination history will be taken to enable them determine the requisite vaccinations. On vaccinations, the doctor/nurse at IOM will determine the ones you'll need based on your age, gender, country and any prior vaccinations. If you have any vaccination record/letter, bring it with you.

Medical examination costs $138 or Kshs 11,476 exclusive of vaccination fee. The lady recommended 4 vaccines for me as I couldn't trace my childhood vaccination/immunization record. MMR (Measles Mumps Rubella) - $26 or Kshs 2,162, Influenza ($28 or Kshs 2,328), Varicella ($54 or Kshs 4,491) and Dultravax ($32 or Kshs 2,661). The total costs for medical examination plus vaccinations = Kshs 23,119 (approximately $280). Once payment is made at their cash office, you will be called to the laboratory for a blood test. You will then be taken (in batches in IOM van) to the nearby ‘The Nairobi Hospital’ for an x-ray. After the x-ray, you are free to leave. You may ask the IOM driver to drive you back to IOM or you can find your way home/to the hotel from The Nairobi Hospital. Day 2 appointment is at 7.30am.

Day 2 - A nurse will take your detailed medical history/information and perform the usual body weight and height measurements, heart beat rate/blood pressure and eye test. The doctor will then do a body exam and he’ll let you know the outcome of your medicals. You will then be given your x-ray – they confirmed that you do not have to carry this for your visa interview. It must be carried as hand luggage as it may be required at POE. You will thereafter have the prescribed vaccinations and a Vaccination Documentation Worksheet issued to you.

Your medical results will be sent by IOM to the Embassy. I inquired from the doctor how long it takes for the results to get to the Embassy and he said that it may take at least between 24 hours to 3 days or more in some cases.

Interview

We were scheduled for Wednesday, August 22 at 7.15am. Although my fiancé was in the country, we decided that he would not accompany me to the Embassy but he would be on stand-by in case something came up. I did not want to get worried about him being outside the gate in the event that he was not allowed to accompany me inside. It really helped that he was just a stone throw away. My fiancé’s presence and support really boosted my confidence :luv:

I went through all security checks and eventually picked a number inside the consul area. You must have your Appointment confirmation email and passport to pass through all the security checks. There were not so many people inside so I was lucky to find a seat inside the consulate area as it was freezing outside. The people who came in after me had to wait outside for their numbers to be called out through the intercom. My number was called to Window 5 where a pleasant lady asked for the following documents, one by one: Two DS 156, two DS 156K, two DS 230 Part 1 only, 3 passport pics, Affidavit of Support (without any supporting evidence), original and a copy of my birth certificate, police certificate. She confirmed to me that she did not require our I-134 supporting documents, letter of continued support/updated letter of intent or any additional documents. We were well prepared just in case and we even had an extra copy of everything including our petition to USCIS. Ensure that your police certificate has a fingerprints report from the police attached to it. Another interviewee who did not have her fingerprint report was told to send the fingerprints form by DHL.

I was then called to Window 1 for fingerprinting. At 10.15am, my number was called and i went to Window 10 (a male consul officer – very nice and friendly). I agree with Jill’s earlier comment that by the time of the interview, the consulate has already made its decision and the interview is just a formality which can either confirm or revoke their decision. When I went to Window 10, the CO had stepped out for a minute and our file was open on his desk (I could see the document on top had been stamped approved! :yes: I do not think this is the NOA2 approval as the documents that I submitted at Window 5 were filed below it). The CO returned and on top of my folders and binder, was Robert Allen's Crazy Laws Lawsuits which I was reading prior to being called to the window. The CO was so pleasant, he saw the book and asked which book it was and then he told me he was also reading something on law - Mediocre/medieval law. :wow: We had something in common – we were both reading crazy legal stuff! He asked what kind of work i did and i told him i'm a lawyer, then he laughed and jokingly said 'ummmh, yours will be tricky because I cannot tell when to believe a lawyer...' I took an oath and confirmed to him that '...we lawyers understand the consequence of any statements made on oath and the dire consequence for any misrepresentation....so he better believe me.' I guess I was asked very simple questions because my fiancé had neatly arranged and frontloaded everything with our petition. The CO didn't ask to see any of the I134 supporting documents I had with me or any other documents.

1. When did you meet your fiance?

2. Where does your fiancé work?

3. How old are you? Your fiancé?

4. How many times has he visited you? Thrice...in fact he is currently in the country!! He actually believed a lawyer without asking me for any evidence of my fiance’s presence!!

He asked to see our photos. As he flipped through our album, one pic of my fiancé and I specifically caught his eye...it has the background of the beautiful Shimba Hills Lodge and the CO inquired which part of Kenya that was as he had never seen such a beautiful place.

He then told me that I was approved and handed me a green letter/slip with instructions on how to collect my visa from DHL in a week. The interview took less than 10 minutes. We are so excited to be done with this stage. My experience was a pleasant one.

Thank you all for your support and advice. To all those going through this process, do not hesitate to ask any questions. My fiancé and I wish you a smooth process in your visa journey.

Congratulations on your approval once again and thank you so much for posting. I want to ask you a question as a lawyer. My birth certificate has a name that i have never used. DO i need to include this on the forms where it says other names used. It only appears on my birth certificate and no where else. On the petition i didnt include it on the other names section.

Also what is evidence of engagement. I don't have any because we were waiting to choose out a ring in the states. SO what do i do? Do you think this will affect the outcome of my interview?

We front loaded our petition with evidence. But i have a whole lot of evidence and my fiance has only visited me once last year and we met November 2010. But i have phone logs, chats, emails, video chat screen shots and so many other things.

I guess i'm just scared about tomorrow... please help

14th Jan 2012: I-129f petition filed

23rd Jan 2012: NOA1

26th Jan 2012: NOA1 hard copy

21st Jun 2012 : NOA2 USCIS status changed to POST DECISION ACTIVITY

26th Jun 2012 : NOA2 hard copy

16th Jul 2012 : Fiance given NVC Number.Petition left NVC for Nairobi Embassy

20th Jul 2012 : Petition arrived at Nairobi Embassy

24th Jul 2012 : Email from Nairobi Embassy with Packet 3 instructions

20th&21st Aug 2012 : Medical

30th Aug 2012: Interview (APPROVED)

6th Oct 2012: POE at Washington Dulles Airport

1st Dec 2012: Wedding

14th Dec 2012: AOS filed

19th Dec 2012: I-485, EAD and AP received (text message)

r9qe6hsob.png

tu3c2rfpx.png

bq59yo0zk.png

Timeline

Congratulations on your approval once again and thank you so much for posting. I want to ask you a question as a lawyer. My birth certificate has a name that i have never used. DO i need to include this on the forms where it says other names used. It only appears on my birth certificate and no where else. On the petition i didnt include it on the other names section. I CAN'T ANSWER THIS...HOPING SOMEONE ELSE CAN COME ALONG AND HELP.

Also what is evidence of engagement. I don't have any because we were waiting to choose out a ring in the states. SO what do i do? Do you think this will affect the outcome of my interview? NO, BEN AND I HAD NO EVIDENCE OF ENGAGEMENT. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. IF THEY ASK, JUST TELL THEM THE DATE YOU GOT ENGAGED AND THAT YOU'LL PICK OUT THE RING IN THE STATES...VERY SIMPLE.

We front loaded our petition with evidence. But i have a whole lot of evidence and my fiance has only visited me once last year and we met November 2010. But i have phone logs, chats, emails, video chat screen shots and so many other things. BRING THESE WITH YOU TO THE INTERVIEW.

I guess i'm just scared about tomorrow... please help DON'T BE SCARED, BE CONFIDENT AND YOU'LL DO JUST FINE! WISHING YOU THE ABSOLUTE BEST WITH EVERYTHING! MUCH LOVE (F)

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Thank you, KASH2011 and Nick&Ann.

Congratulations on your approval once again and thank you so much for posting. I want to ask you a question as a lawyer. My birth certificate has a name that i have never used. DO i need to include this on the forms where it says other names used. It only appears on my birth certificate and no where else. On the petition i didnt include it on the other names section. For consistency with your petition, i advise that you exclude it and in case they notice and ask, just explain as you've set out here. I doubt they will ask about your other name if it does not appear on your passport and police certificate.

. Alternatively, you may include your other name and explain on a separate sheet of paper that this was inadvertently omitted in the petition as you have never used the name.

Also what is evidence of engagement. I don't have any because we were waiting to choose out a ring in the states. SO what do i do? Do you think this will affect the outcome of my interview? I read in a previous thread here on VJ that current letters of intent are sufficient evidence of engagement. If they inquire about an engagement ring, which i think they are unlikely to ask, just be honest and answer that you were waiting to choose out one in US.

We front loaded our petition with evidence. But i have a whole lot of evidence and my fiance has only visited me once last year and we met November 2010. But i have phone logs, chats, emails, video chat screen shots and so many other things. Carry all your evidence. There is no requirement for the number of visits, as long as you have evidence that you met within the last 2 years from the date of your petition and that you have proof of ongoing relationship.

I guess i'm just scared about tomorrow... please help .Don't be scared...you need your confidence and all will be well. Goodluck

K1 visa journey

1/10/12 - NOA1
6/ 8 /12 - NOA2
8/29/12 - Received visa
10/14/12 - POE (Boston)
12/12/12 - Wedding ❤❤❤

AOS/EAD/AP

Timeline

Thank you Jill...for all the help. God bless you so much...

r9qe6hsob.png

tu3c2rfpx.png

bq59yo0zk.png

Timeline

Thank you, KASH2011 and Nick&Ann.

Thank you Gloria. Can i just type out a letter explaining why i didn't include the names...without actually including them?? Can you help me with the wording too?

r9qe6hsob.png

tu3c2rfpx.png

bq59yo0zk.png

Timeline

Thank you Gloria. Can i just type out a letter explaining why i didn't include the names...without actually including them?? Can you help me with the wording too?

Nick&Ann,

I've sent you a PM. Hope it's helpful.

K1 visa journey

1/10/12 - NOA1
6/ 8 /12 - NOA2
8/29/12 - Received visa
10/14/12 - POE (Boston)
12/12/12 - Wedding ❤❤❤

AOS/EAD/AP

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.