Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thanks so how soon this you guys apply for the Social if i may ask ?

I think we applied maybe 2 weeks after Sifa got to the US? That sounds about right to me.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Timeline

Ben arrived home on June 19th ~ we applied for the social security card on July 11th. He received the card July 30th. So, two-three weeks after should be fine.

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Hi Jill,

Thanks for the encouragement. I needed that. I am trying to keep myself busy. I have been trying to find out how the public transport system works. Everyone scaring me that i need to be careful coz we are close to Detroit so it may not be safe to ride on the bus...but hey I worked in downtown Nairobi and survived :hehe:

I guess it will all come together and I will begin loving it being here. I have been helping my huby at his business once every so often. For now I am educating myself about life here and bringing my hobbies (in my mind) with me.

Yes, you did survive downtown Nairobi, lolol. I'm sure your husband can guide you as far as what buses to take and what/where to stay away from. Detroit is a tough city, but you probably know that already. Just continue to keep yourself busy, educate yourself with your surroundings, and try to enjoy the time that you have now because it won't be like this forever. And, I already know you'll stay positive because that's the Kenyan way, lol. (F):D

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Hey everyone,

Thank you Ben and Jill, Katie and Sifa for the info you gave me about the vaccines. You guys are really lucky to be with your loved ones right now and I cannot wait for this part of the process to be over. The rest is not as hard when you are with your loved one.

Congratulations Mschana. Good luck to us all still in the hardest part of this process. I trust God to get us through this process to finally go and be with my husband to be. This is really not for the faint hearted. It even looks like the nairobi embassy was easier back then than it is right now...But I am trusting God to see me through just like he has brought me this far.

Thank you all again for keeping the thread alive for so many people to come. God bless you all. Will keep you updated and will come back here to get help from you guys.

On a different note, can i travel back after i get to the states and after i am married?? My sister will be getting married sometime towards the end of this year or early next year and I want to know if i have the option of attending her wedding because I would really love to.

14th Jan 2012: I-129f petition filed

23rd Jan 2012: NOA1

26th Jan 2012: NOA1 hard copy

21st Jun 2012 : NOA2 USCIS status changed to POST DECISION ACTIVITY

26th Jun 2012 : NOA2 hard copy

16th Jul 2012 : Fiance given NVC Number.Petition left NVC for Nairobi Embassy

20th Jul 2012 : Petition arrived at Nairobi Embassy

24th Jul 2012 : Email from Nairobi Embassy with Packet 3 instructions

20th&21st Aug 2012 : Medical

30th Aug 2012: Interview (APPROVED)

6th Oct 2012: POE at Washington Dulles Airport

1st Dec 2012: Wedding

14th Dec 2012: AOS filed

19th Dec 2012: I-485, EAD and AP received (text message)

r9qe6hsob.png

tu3c2rfpx.png

bq59yo0zk.png

Timeline

You can travel but ONLY after you get your Advance Parole. After you get married you apply for the green card, advance parole & employment authorization card (the AP & EAD become obsolete after your green card is approved, but that takes a little longer.)

Anyway, if you leave before you get AP or the green card then you won't be allowed back in. K-1 is a one time use visa.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Timeline

EAD and AP are approved before you receive your green card, and like Katie said, once you receive your green card, that replaces the EAD/AP card. The EAD/AP card is a combo card...once you receive that card, you can travel out of the states. It typically takes between two-three months to receive that card once you file AOS. If you can travel back for your sister's wedding will determine when you get married, file your paperwork, and receive your EAD/AP card. If for some reason you do not have the AP before your sister marries, you won't be able to leave the U.S. (well, you can, but you wouldn't be let back in and who wants that!) :help:

Considering it's already July and you haven't had your interview yet, etc., I don't think the timing will work in your favor, especially if she marries at the end of this year. Early next year would be better for your timing. I wish you all the best with everything! Just tell your sister to wait, lolol. (F)

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi,

I scheduled my interview appointment (August 22, 2012) and received a confirmation email from the Embassy. The Embassy has interview openings from as early as July 10, but we wanted a date in late August when my fiance will be in Kenya. It already feels good just knowing that even though he will not be allowed in the Embassy/consulate area, he will be just a stone throw away and not oceans away.

Well, I have 2 questions and shall be grateful to hear from you:

1. Does the interview process still entail submitting documents on the appointment date and attending the substantive interview the next day? The posts on this thread from around March/April 2012 seem to suggest otherwise.

2. As regards the DS-230, the current form has an expiry date of June 30, 2012 which has now lapsed and the form specifically states that 'previous editions obsolete'. Is the 'expiry date' the edition date for this particular Form and if so, in the event that the Form is not updated by August 2012, should i go ahead and use the 'expired form'.

K1 visa journey

1/10/12 - NOA1
6/ 8 /12 - NOA2
6/20/12 - Received at NVC
6/21/12 - Assigned case number and sent to consulate
6/25/12 - Received at Nairobi Embassy
6/27/12 - Email from Nairobi Embassy (packet 3/instructions)
8/22/12 - Interview - APPROVED
8/29/12 - Received visa
10/14/12 - POE (Boston)
12/12/12 - Wedding ❤❤❤

AOS/EAD/AP

1/18/13 - Package delivered at Chicago lockbox
1/24/13 - NOA1 (email and text)for AOS/EAD/AP
1/25/13 - Received biometrics appointment letter and NOA1s letters
2/12/13 - Biometrics at 1.00pm (Lawrence, MA)
3/15/13 - EAD/AP approved, 3/21/13 mailed
3/23/13 - Received EAD/AP combo

8/27/13 - AOS approved & subsequent card production ordered (no interview)

Timeline

Hi,

I scheduled my interview appointment (August 22, 2012) and received a confirmation email from the Embassy. The Embassy has interview openings from as early as July 10, but we wanted a date in late August when my fiance will be in Kenya. It already feels good just knowing that even though he will not be allowed in the Embassy/consulate area, he will be just a stone throw away and not oceans away.

1. Does the interview process still entail submitting documents on the appointment date and attending the substantive interview the next day? The posts on this thread from around March/April 2012 seem to suggest otherwise.

2. As regards the DS-230, the current form has an expiry date of June 30, 2012 which has now lapsed and the form specifically states that 'previous editions obsolete'. Is the 'expiry date' the edition date for this particular Form and if so, in the event that the Form is not updated by August 2012, should i go ahead and use the 'expired form'.

I believe now that the interviews are the same day. (I've read previously as well that you don't drop off your paperwork the day before and then come back the next day for the actual interview). I sent "Kevlynn" an email asking him to confirm that, but I believe his was the same day (almost positive).

Keep checking the website for the updated DS-230. They are usually pretty good with getting those up to date, so just keep checking. I would hope by your interview, the new form will be uploaded. xoxoxo

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Hi,

My husband went for his interview in March, and he wasn't required to submit anything beforehand. The day of his interview he brought all the paperwork, and had his interview on the same day. I would plan on going the day of the interview with all your paperwork and having your interview that day. Keep in mind that everything you say once you enter the embassy can be used as part of the interview. The people you talk to before your formal interview will ask questions, and the final interview may follow up on anything you've said earlier.

K-1

May - Oct2008 – Meet in Uganda, meet his family, live with his family

Oct '08-'11 - correspond, work together through a common non-profit

June-July 2011 - Return to Uganda; we get engaged!!

Aug 22, 2011 – NOA1

Jan 25, 2012 – NOA2

Feb 16, 2012 – NVC Clearance

March 16-19 2012 - Medical exam

March 22, 2012- Interview, refused pending Kenya police certificate

April 5, 2012 Police Certificate issued

April 10, 2012 Police certificate and passport delivered to consulate

April 13, 2012 Email from consulate notifying of visa APPROVAL!!!!!!

April 18th, 2012 Approximate pick-up date of passport

April 20th, 2012 Actual day passport ready for pick-up; visa in hand!

April 29th, 2012 Anticipated entry to the US!!! (Boston, Logan international)

Timeline

Just got confirmation from "Kevlynn" ~ he said his interview was the same day. Geez, they change things so often! That's good though, it's less stressful - one day is better than two :blush:

Edited by Ben and Jill

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
:wow: Thank you, Jill and Beaulaluo

K1 visa journey

1/10/12 - NOA1
6/ 8 /12 - NOA2
6/20/12 - Received at NVC
6/21/12 - Assigned case number and sent to consulate
6/25/12 - Received at Nairobi Embassy
6/27/12 - Email from Nairobi Embassy (packet 3/instructions)
8/22/12 - Interview - APPROVED
8/29/12 - Received visa
10/14/12 - POE (Boston)
12/12/12 - Wedding ❤❤❤

AOS/EAD/AP

1/18/13 - Package delivered at Chicago lockbox
1/24/13 - NOA1 (email and text)for AOS/EAD/AP
1/25/13 - Received biometrics appointment letter and NOA1s letters
2/12/13 - Biometrics at 1.00pm (Lawrence, MA)
3/15/13 - EAD/AP approved, 3/21/13 mailed
3/23/13 - Received EAD/AP combo

8/27/13 - AOS approved & subsequent card production ordered (no interview)

Timeline

:wow: Thank you, Jill and Beaulaluo

Most welcome :star: Kevin also said to "dress nicely" for the interview. He wore a suit and he definitely thought it made a difference. Ben wore black dress pants and a button down white dress shirt. Kevin thought it most helpful and he asked that I pass that along to everyone.

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Most welcome :star: Kevin also said to "dress nicely" for the interview. He wore a suit and he definitely thought it made a difference. Ben wore black dress pants and a button down white dress shirt. Kevin thought it most helpful and he asked that I pass that along to everyone.

I think this is a good point. You don't need to get super fancy or anything, but when we went Sifa wore slacks & a button down (what he would normally wear to work at the hospital there) and I wore a long skirt & a niceish top - culturally appropriate but still something I would wear to work here.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Naturalization

Timeline

I think this is a good point. You don't need to get super fancy or anything, but when we went Sifa wore slacks & a button down (what he would normally wear to work at the hospital there) and I wore a long skirt & a niceish top - culturally appropriate but still something I would wear to work here.

I have absolutely NO recollection of what I wore :blink::whistle::blink: lol, none whatsoever. Geez, I'm sitting here trying to remember and I haven't a clue...wow, lol. I "think" I wore black pants and a shirt, kind of casual because I knew I wasn't allowed in anyway so I really didn't give it much thought. I can't believe I don't remember :blush:

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.