Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Hello everyone,

We got our NOA2 last week on 21st June 2012, have been reading this thread for a couple of months and now i am preparing for the interview stage. A bit scared from some stories i have read but keeping my fingers crossed and praying for everything to go smoothly.

Getting together evidence of relationship, phone logs, chat logs, emails and anything else i can find. as I continue to read here. Also trying to get some vaccines done here. Is it a problem if i get my vaccines before i go for the medical in Nairobi? Will keep you posted. Meanwhile, I am reading and collecting info on what i will need for the interview as i wait for the NVC stage to be over.

Goodluck to us all and Thank you all for keeping the thread alive for us juniors and for those who will come. God bless.

14th Jan 2012: I-129f petition filed

23rd Jan 2012: NOA1

26th Jan 2012: NOA1 hard copy

21st Jun 2012 : NOA2 USCIS status changed to POST DECISION ACTIVITY

26th Jun 2012 : NOA2 hard copy

16th Jul 2012 : Fiance given NVC Number.Petition left NVC for Nairobi Embassy

20th Jul 2012 : Petition arrived at Nairobi Embassy

24th Jul 2012 : Email from Nairobi Embassy with Packet 3 instructions

20th&21st Aug 2012 : Medical

30th Aug 2012: Interview (APPROVED)

6th Oct 2012: POE at Washington Dulles Airport

1st Dec 2012: Wedding

14th Dec 2012: AOS filed

19th Dec 2012: I-485, EAD and AP received (text message)

r9qe6hsob.png

tu3c2rfpx.png

bq59yo0zk.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Nick&Ann, congrats on your NOA2 :star:

As far as the vaccines and medical...the Nairobi Embassy will only accept medicals from two places - IOM in Nairobi, and another place in Mombasa. I feel it's better and easier to just let IOM do everything. Reason being is because they know precisely what the Embassy requires, so it's just easier to let them do it. They will review your medical history and give you the vaccines they feel you need (you will not need every single vaccine that is listed on the requirements ~ Ben got maybe four at the most). They really aren't that expensive...actually, the medical is the least expensive part of this process. If someone else does the vaccines, you will need to bring that documentation with you...and IOM will need to transfer all of that information onto your DS-3025. It's just another added step you really don't need to add and may end up causing you problems. I wouldn't suggest it. Save yourself that time to prepare for the rest of your journey. Stay blessed and much love.

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

I agree with Jill - easiest to just get it all done at once, then you're not worrying about if you got the right thing, or whatever. Or worse - you get them done in advance and then IOM says it's the wrong thing, or it's not valid, or wahtever, and you have to get them done again anyway. The medical cost wasn't outrageous as I recall (at least in the grand scheme of things with all the expenses of immigrating) and you KNOW you're getting what the Embassy wants.

Congrats on the NOA2, by the way :)

Edited by katie & sifa

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Nick&Ann, congrats on your NOA2 :star:

As far as the vaccines and medical...the Nairobi Embassy will only accept medicals from two places - IOM in Nairobi, and another place in Mombasa. I feel it's better and easier to just let IOM do everything. Reason being is because they know precisely what the Embassy requires, so it's just easier to let them do it. They will review your medical history and give you the vaccines they feel you need (you will not need every single vaccine that is listed on the requirements ~ Ben got maybe four at the most). They really aren't that expensive...actually, the medical is the least expensive part of this process. If someone else does the vaccines, you will need to bring that documentation with you...and IOM will need to transfer all of that information onto your DS-3025. It's just another added step you really don't need to add and may end up causing you problems. I wouldn't suggest it. Save yourself that time to prepare for the rest of your journey. Stay blessed and much love.

I don't have a medical history saved on paper, how will they know what I need?

Timeline

Cotton Candy, nearly everyone in Kenya (as well as many other countries across the globe) doesn't have a medical history on paper...it's just the way it is. Ben didn't either, and it wasn't a problem at all. You can tell the doctor what you know to be true as far as your medical history; they will take care of the rest. Don't worry about it all. You've got bigger fish to fry :P:luv: It's not something to be concerned about. You'll probably receive about four to five vaccines...you'll be superfine :D

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Sifa didn't really have any records, either. They just did whatever they thought was necessary for him based on age etc. Don't worry too much about the medical - it was pretty much the easiest part of the whole process.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Finally received the "Welcome to America" letter from USCIS. Went to the Social Security Office on 18th June but was advised to go back after 10 days since there was some hold up from Homeland Security. Settling and adjusting has been challenging seeing as have to be a "dependent". Hubby has been very supportive. Thankful to have come here in the Summer.

Timeline

Finally received the "Welcome to America" letter from USCIS. Went to the Social Security Office on 18th June but was advised to go back after 10 days since there was some hold up from Homeland Security. Settling and adjusting has been challenging seeing as have to be a "dependent". Hubby has been very supportive. Thankful to have come here in the Summer.

Congrats, Mschana! Hang in there as far as feeling like a "dependent"...it will all come together, I promise. Ben kept himself "really" busy. He left when I did in the morning, and he'd jog to the soccer field and workout for a couple hours, then he'd go to the library which was right near the field, and do this and that...then he'd eat his lunch, lol, and then would keep busy going here and there getting acquainted with his new surroundings, and he didn't even have a car. He was used to walking and jogging because that's how it was when he was in Kenya. I read your other post about your husband's kids...yes, that has to be tough for you. Now, "that" is an adjustment if I must say so myself. Stay strong, sugar. Lots and lots of love (L)(F)(L)

Edited by Ben and Jill

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Sifa really struggled with that too - being dependent on me. It was better when he learned the bus system and such, and after a few weeks he started volunteering at the hospital closest to us (within walking distance) too. Hopefully the wait for EAD and the green card won't be too long!

K-1

AOS

ROC

Naturalization

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi

Been awhile since was here , been in kenya for a month and half so was good to visit, otherwise have a quick question as for my fiance i know first thing is kinda get married but can we try to apply for a social security number before getting married anybody who has done that please let me know otherwise thanks guys

Edited by maxxell

Timeline

Congratulations, Mschana.

Can someone please let me know if Nairobi requires I-134 to be notarized? Thank you.

Unless something has changed since we went through the process...NO it doesn't need to be notarized.

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Hi

Been awhile since was here , been in kenya for a month and half so was good to visit, otherwise have a quick question as for my fiance i know first thing is kinda get married but can we try to apply for a social security number before getting married anybody who has done that please let me know otherwise thanks guys

We applied for Ben's social before we got married, but he didn't need to change his name on the social afterwards. Your fiancee will have to change her name on her SS card after the marriage.

Edited by Ben and Jill

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Congrats, Mschana! Hang in there as far as feeling like a "dependent"...it will all come together, I promise. Ben kept himself "really" busy. He left when I did in the morning, and he'd jog to the soccer field and workout for a couple hours, then he'd go to the library which was right near the field, and do this and that...then he'd eat his lunch, lol, and then would keep busy going here and there getting acquainted with his new surroundings, and he didn't even have a car. He was used to walking and jogging because that's how it was when he was in Kenya. I read your other post about your husband's kids...yes, that has to be tough for you. Now, "that" is an adjustment if I must say so myself. Stay strong, sugar. Lots and lots of love (L)(F)(L)

Hi Jill,

Thanks for the encouragement. I needed that. I am trying to keep myself busy. I have been trying to find out how the public transport system works. Everyone scaring me that i need to be careful coz we are close to Detroit so it may not be safe to ride on the bus...but hey I worked in downtown Nairobi and survived :hehe:

I guess it will all come together and I will begin loving it being here. I have been helping my huby at his business once every so often. For now I am educating myself about life here and bringing my hobbies (in my mind) with me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thanks so how soon this you guys apply for the Social if i may ask ?

We applied for Ben's social before we got married, but he didn't need to change his name on the social afterwards. Your fiancee will have to change her name on her SS card after the marriage.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.