Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

DNA testing on march 19 or march 21 for kits received the week of march 5th.

i told my fiance to go back to eldoret and will be back in nai inshallah on march 19th,then pay the IOM collection fee $40 and go for the dna test on march 21st.

dna testing takes another 1 week then you will be notified by the embassy on the next step, inshallah the process will go quick. i miss my son very much i cant even concentrate at work. i know if my family is here i will have determination to go to work , right now im like whatever, i just want to be with them soon.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

i told my fiance to go back to eldoret and will be back in nai inshallah on march 19th,then pay the IOM collection fee $40 and go for the dna test on march 21st.

dna testing takes another 1 week then you will be notified by the embassy on the next step, inshallah the process will go quick. i miss my son very much i cant even concentrate at work. i know if my family is here i will have determination to go to work , right now im like whatever, i just want to be with them soon.

I am sorry to hear of your hurdle...it sounds like if you give them what they are asking for...all will be fine. Good luck with everything.

what?

but yeeah. visa approved. now waiting to pick it up at DHL location

Congratulations on your visa approval! YOU DID IT!!! You've got to be feeling fabulous now! :dance::D:yes:

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Try not too be like "whatever"...lol. I know it's really hard, but you must stay focused on the outcome and not lose sight in the meantime :) This process is so incredibly trying and requires patience unknown to mankind, lolol. Stay focused, and think about going to get them at the airport and bringing your family home :)

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

hi. I have another question.

so, once the visa is approved, we're supposed to check the usvisa-info.com website to get a waybill number to track the delivery of my passport to a DHL pickup location. Does anyone know how many days should pass before the waybill number is available or should it have been immediately available after the interview?

thanks

our actual timeline.

<-- not that one.

Timeline

hi. I have another question.

so, once the visa is approved, we're supposed to check the usvisa-info.com website to get a waybill number to track the delivery of my passport to a DHL pickup location. Does anyone know how many days should pass before the waybill number is available or should it have been immediately available after the interview?

thanks

Greetings, it will take a little time. Just keep checking. Some people's have shown three days later, while others have waited a little longer. It will not immediately be there. I remember checking 45 times a day! Never ended up even needing to though, because Ben had to go back to retake his fingerprints and they told him he could physically go to the Embassy to pick up his passport. I'm very happy for you that this part of your journey is in the past. Now, you can move forward and be with your loved one. :D

Edited by Ben and Jill

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

So I know this has been talked about before but I am wondering if I can get some help with accommodations. Can someone give a couple different options in a couple different price ranges? We are used to paying 10 bucks a night for a room in Kampala. Never ever been to Kenya. Assuming its more expensive but we are still trying to find cheap local but safe accommodations. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!!!

Timeline

So I know this has been talked about before but I am wondering if I can get some help with accommodations. Can someone give a couple different options in a couple different price ranges? We are used to paying 10 bucks a night for a room in Kampala. Never ever been to Kenya. Assuming its more expensive but we are still trying to find cheap local but safe accommodations. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!!!

You can find rooms for about that, just depends on where you are. One of my favorites is Upperhill Campsite (which is kind of like the Red Chilli Hideaway in Kampala, if you've ever been there.) www.upperhillcampsite.com. When Sifa & I were together in Nairobi (we lived several hours away, so it wasn't an overly frequent trip) we stayed on River Road (I can't for the life of me at the moment remember the name of the hotel we used to stay in...I will try to think of it and ask Sifa later.) Not the greatest part of town, but close to matatus and such. That's where we stayed before the interview. I've also heard decent things about the Terminal Hotel, which is downtown, but I haven't ever stayed there.

Further out from downtown but actually slightly closer to the Embassy, the Kenya Continental Hotel in Westlands is nice (NOT the Inter-Continental downtown, which I'm sure is nice but also pretty expensive.) I don't know how much the Continental costs because Peace Corps always paid for it if I had to stay there, but it seems like it wouldn't be THAT much - it's pretty basic. It's a short walk from the main road in Westlands, where you can catch matatus into city centre and such, and there is a huge shopping center really close to it for groceries, internet and such, but early in the morning if you stay there and need to go to the Embassy you'd definitely want to arrange beforehand for a taxi to pick you up. Although really I recommend this for wherever you decide to stay, since you need to leave so early.

Hope that helps a little :)

Edited by katie & sifa

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Greetings, it will take a little time. Just keep checking. Some people's have shown three days later, while others have waited a little longer. It will not immediately be there. I remember checking 45 times a day! Never ended up even needing to though, because Ben had to go back to retake his fingerprints and they told him he could physically go to the Embassy to pick up his passport. I'm very happy for you that this part of your journey is in the past. Now, you can move forward and be with your loved one. :D

picked up the visa today. CSC call center is pretty much useless - they just look at the usvisa-info website and can't help you if there's no DHL waybill number yet. we called the embassy itself yesterday and had them expedite the visa since our flight leaves on sunday. so definitely mention that you're from a different country and they'll expedite it for you.. wish I'd known that sooner.

our actual timeline.

<-- not that one.

Timeline

picked up the visa today. CSC call center is pretty much useless - they just look at the usvisa-info website and can't help you if there's no DHL waybill number yet. we called the embassy itself yesterday and had them expedite the visa since our flight leaves on sunday. so definitely mention that you're from a different country and they'll expedite it for you.. wish I'd known that sooner.

Awesome, congrats!!

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Thanks guys!!!

we're staying at Jupiter Guest Resort in Lang'ata. it's ~$50/night including breakfast. obviously there's cheaper options out there, but safety was our main concern and they have free internet access. it's not perfect but it's fine as a budget place. it's definitely safe with guards, a fence, and they lock the doors into the hotel at night. there's a restaurant on the grounds that is affordable and convenient. most of the hotel staff are friendly and accommodating. there's also an ATM a 5 minute walk away and a supermarket not much farther. on the downside it's about 40-60 minutes from the embassy. they have a taxi driver on call who charges $15 to get there, but other taxis will charge more on the way back. it's only about 10 mins from IOM though.

our actual timeline.

<-- not that one.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mauritius
Timeline

Awesome, congrats!!

K-1

August 2007 - Met online

March 2011 - Met in Italy

June-July 2011 - Met in Mauritius

September 1, 2011 - Mailed 129F

September 6, 2011 - NOA 1

January 25, 2012 - NOA 2 (141 days)

February 6, 2012 - Received letter from NVC

February 17, 2012 - Confirmation that case received by embassy

March 5-6, 2012 - Medical

March 8, 2012 - Interview - APPROVED!

March 16, 2012 - Visa in hand

April 22, 2012 - POE

May 13, 2012 - Married!

June 19, 2012 - Mailed AOS packet

June 21, 2012 - AOS, EAD NOA

July 6, 2012 - RFE :(

Sept 5, 2012 - RFE response returned

Sept 7, 2012 - RFE response received by USCIS

December 13, 2012 - AOS Interview, rescheduled

January 24, 2012 - AOS Interview II - APPROVED!

February 1, 2013 - Green card received

November 6, 2014 - Mailed ROC packet

November 10, 2014 - NOA

August 20, 2015 - Green card received

February 9, 2016 - Mailed N400 packet

May 3, 2016 - Naturalization Interview - APPROVED!

June 6, 2016 - Oath ceremony

Timeline

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

We got our interview date - Thursday, March 22nd! His medical exam is complete (everything went well) so this is our last step!!

Wish us luck! I wish I could be with him, but I have school and there's no way I can make it. Hoping it all goes smoothly...

K-1

May - Oct2008 – Meet in Uganda, meet his family, live with his family

Oct '08-'11 - correspond, work together through a common non-profit

June-July 2011 - Return to Uganda; we get engaged!!

Aug 22, 2011 – NOA1

Jan 25, 2012 – NOA2

Feb 16, 2012 – NVC Clearance

March 16-19 2012 - Medical exam

March 22, 2012- Interview, refused pending Kenya police certificate

April 5, 2012 Police Certificate issued

April 10, 2012 Police certificate and passport delivered to consulate

April 13, 2012 Email from consulate notifying of visa APPROVAL!!!!!!

April 18th, 2012 Approximate pick-up date of passport

April 20th, 2012 Actual day passport ready for pick-up; visa in hand!

April 29th, 2012 Anticipated entry to the US!!! (Boston, Logan international)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

We got our interview date - Thursday, March 22nd! His medical exam is complete (everything went well) so this is our last step!!

Wish us luck! I wish I could be with him, but I have school and there's no way I can make it. Hoping it all goes smoothly...

Congratulations: sending lots of good thoughts your way. Can't wait to hear how things go on Thursday!

Joy (& Aaron, who doesn't read/post here yet)

Dec. 27, 2010: First met each other in Entebbe, Uganda while I was visiting my friend/his cousin (12/27/10 - 1/10/11) (visited again Jul. 2-9, 2011 and Dec. 24, 2011 - Jan. 9, 2012; engaged 1/7/12)

K-1

Feb. 18, 2012: I-129F sent (delivered 2/21 per USPS & USCIS; NOA1 notice date 2/23/12; check cashed/email/text 2/24)

Aug. 9, 2012: NOA2!!! [NOA1 +168 days] (reached NVC 8/17, left NVC 8/20; @embassy 8/24; embassy confirmed receipt 9/5)

Oct. 24 - Nov. 8, 2012: I visited again (Nairobi: medical 10/31; interview 11/5 [NOA1 +256 days]; result--APPROVED!!!!!!!)

Nov. 15, 2012: Visa in hand (was ready for retrieval 11/12/12)

Nov. 20, 2012: POE, Boston!!! (legal marriage 12/12/12; family/friends wedding ceremony 1/12/13) (276 days)

AOS/EAD/AP

Feb. 4, 2013: AOS packet sent (delivered 2/6, NOA1 text/email & check cashed 2/11 midnight)

Feb. 11, 2013: NOA1 notice date for I-485, EAD, AP (I-485/EAD NOA1 hard copies & biometrics appt letter arrived 2/16, badly mangled AP NOA1 arrived 2/27; biometrics done 3/4/13)

Apr. 3, 2013: EAD & AP approved (received card 4/11)

Aug. 16, 2013: I-485 approved & green card production ordered!!!! (card arrived 8/26/13) (193 days)

ROC

2015 sometime? I've slept since then.

Naturalization

Dec. 20, 2019: N-400 submitted online (Boston, MA field office)

Jan. 9, 2020: Biometrics

Feb. 4, 2020: updated wait time = 4 months (estimated case completion June 2020)

Aug. 7, 2020: interview scheduled (!), but no idea when

Sept. 16, 2020: interview, Boston (approved)

Sept. 24, 2020: oath ceremony, Boston---DONE!!! (279 days from submission)

230Hm5.pngxrcBm5.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.