Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I agree with Jill. Sifa had no medical records to speak of and he definitely didn't have to get 16 shots.

As for your fiancee coming over to be with you, I lived in Kenya for 2 years and really didn't have to get that many vaccines. I did get all of the ones listed on the CDC website since I was there for an extended amount of time and I was living in a rural area (plus that's just what Peace Corps requires. I didn't mind though because we always got American candy - Snickers - on shot days ;)) If just traveling to Nairobi things like typhoid (just always use bottled water), rabies and Yellow Fever are not probably not needed. She should check with a travel doctor who could advise her on exactly what would be recommended for her.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mauritius
Timeline

Hi everyone,

yketwaroo and I just received confirmation that the embassy in Nairobi has received our petition. I've been looking at the appointment scheduling site and it says

All passports with visas will be returned to the applicant via courier. The courier service is provided through DHL, at no additional cost to the applicant. Please select the DHL branch from which you would like to retrieve your documents.

General Process Overview

The DHL location selected will be listed on the confirmation email received after the appointment is scheduled.

Following the appointment, applicants may check this Web site for the status of the return of the documents. Once the documents are ready for pickup, the applicants must bring official identification to the selected courier location to retrieve the documents.

I'm a bit confused.. so after the interview, we have to pick up his passport at a DHL location? There are 3 listed in Nairobi, does it matter which one? Thanks for any info.

K-1

August 2007 - Met online

March 2011 - Met in Italy

June-July 2011 - Met in Mauritius

September 1, 2011 - Mailed 129F

September 6, 2011 - NOA 1

January 25, 2012 - NOA 2 (141 days)

February 6, 2012 - Received letter from NVC

February 17, 2012 - Confirmation that case received by embassy

March 5-6, 2012 - Medical

March 8, 2012 - Interview - APPROVED!

March 16, 2012 - Visa in hand

April 22, 2012 - POE

May 13, 2012 - Married!

June 19, 2012 - Mailed AOS packet

June 21, 2012 - AOS, EAD NOA

July 6, 2012 - RFE :(

Sept 5, 2012 - RFE response returned

Sept 7, 2012 - RFE response received by USCIS

December 13, 2012 - AOS Interview, rescheduled

January 24, 2012 - AOS Interview II - APPROVED!

February 1, 2013 - Green card received

November 6, 2014 - Mailed ROC packet

November 10, 2014 - NOA

August 20, 2015 - Green card received

February 9, 2016 - Mailed N400 packet

May 3, 2016 - Naturalization Interview - APPROVED!

June 6, 2016 - Oath ceremony

Timeline

Hi everyone,

yketwaroo and I just received confirmation that the embassy in Nairobi has received our petition. I've been looking at the appointment scheduling site and it says

I'm a bit confused.. so after the interview, we have to pick up his passport at a DHL location? There are 3 listed in Nairobi, does it matter which one? Thanks for any info.

Yes, you will leave the interview "without" the passport. You will need to pick up the passport from your selected DHL location (which you select during the interview process). No, it doesn't matter which one you choose...simply just choose the one that's most convenient for you. Make sure you bring the appropriate documentation with you when you pick it up, and those requirements are listed in the instructions. You will need to keep checking the website, and that will give you the status of your DHL package. It's a fairly intuitive process and you will see all of it listed on the website. It takes a week or so after the interview, but could possibly take longer...so don't worry if you don't see it there immediately. The person who holds the passport is the only one allowed to retrieve it from DHL.

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Thanks - another question: is there no possible way to pay the visa fee from outside of Kenya? Online, over the phone, ..anything? We really can't afford to stay there for an indefinite amount of time..

K-1

August 2007 - Met online

April 22, 2012 - POE

May 13, 2012 - Married!

November 10, 2014 - NOA

Timeline

Anyone gone through Nairobi with a co-sponsor lately/ever? Specifically for K1? I saw another post about it today & didn't remember seeing anyone but I could have been forgetting something...

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Timeline

Anyone gone through Nairobi with a co-sponsor lately/ever? Specifically for K1? I saw another post about it today & didn't remember seeing anyone but I could have been forgetting something...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/160251-nairobi-embassy-thread/page__st__345

K-1

August 2007 - Met online

April 22, 2012 - POE

May 13, 2012 - Married!

November 10, 2014 - NOA

Timeline

Question about paying the visa/MRV fee - does the beneficiary have to show passport/ID or anything in order to pay the fee? I have a relative currently in Kenya so I'm wondering if they could potentially pay the fee for us, thus allowing us to get an interview date prior to flying in..

K-1

August 2007 - Met online

April 22, 2012 - POE

May 13, 2012 - Married!

November 10, 2014 - NOA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Hey all

We received our NOA 2. Glad I didn't start to worry too much. But on it they list our consulate as "Kampula". Literally misspelled Kampala. Anyone else here from UG? I am confused how the process works. I had heard that we all go through Nairobi. Does Kampala get it first and send it to Nairobi?

Thanks!!!

Kelsey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Hey all

We received our NOA 2. Glad I didn't start to worry too much. But on it they list our consulate as "Kampula". Literally misspelled Kampala. Anyone else here from UG? I am confused how the process works. I had heard that we all go through Nairobi. Does Kampala get it first and send it to Nairobi?

Thanks!!!

Kelsey

Hi there,

Just dsregard whats written on the NOA 2,I had Kampala written on mine but all immigrant visa applications for Uganda are processed by the Nairobi consulate.NVC will correctify that on the letter you'll receive in a few days from now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Question about paying the visa/MRV fee - does the beneficiary have to show passport/ID or anything in order to pay the fee? I have a relative currently in Kenya so I'm wondering if they could potentially pay the fee for us, thus allowing us to get an interview date prior to flying in..

my fiance paid using mpesa ,yes a relative can pay using mpesa or going to post bank you will have to print the mrv receipt number from the website

https://usvisa-info.com/en-KE/selfservice/us_fee_payment_options

my fiance paid using mpesa ,yes a relative can pay using mpesa or going to post bank you will have to print the mrv receipt number from the website

so we need somebody already in kenya to pay the fee for us?

our actual timeline.

<-- not that one.

Timeline

so we need somebody already in kenya to pay the fee for us?

You can or you can pay it when you arrive - it all depends on how much time you can spend in Kenya. If you pay it when you arrive, you will still have to wait for the payment to clear (it took ours nearly two full days to clear) so you can schedule the interview...then you will have to wait until your interview day...so you will be in Kenya for an indefinite amount of time. It's a little difficult doing things like this when you're not in the country :help::wacko::blink: It's hard enough so I can only imagine how hard it must be to have to travel there from a different place just for the interview.

Hey all

Thanks!!!

Kelsey

So happy you received your NOA2! Congrats!

That's correct...just make sure you save the MRV receipt # - you'll need that for the interview. We also paid using MPESA and had no issues.

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Congratulations to KelseyGrace :dance:

In your Strength, I can crush an army; with my God , I can scale any wall .....2nd Samuel 22:30

For God did not give us a spirit of fear and timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self discipline}... 2 Timothy 1 :7[/i]

Set me as seal over your heart. Solomon 8:6

imgfinal2.jpg

AOS

08/03/2009 - AOS Approval

08/13/ 2009- GC in mail

ROC

09/01/2011 - Roc Approval

N - 400

06/15/2012 - Mailed N - 400 package to Phoenix

06/19/2012 - Notice of Action

07/20/2012 - Biometrics

08/20/2012 - Interview: PASSED

09/21/2012 - Oath Ceremony :)

09/21/2012 - US Citizen

RqhYvq6.jpgRqhYm4.pngRqhYm4.png

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows James 1 : 17[/center]

yo. so we're currently frowning at the expense of this trip to kenya. well, I am at least. and we're somewhat in disagreement over which hotel to book. I was thinking the Jupiter Guest Resort in Langata (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294207-d2097945-Reviews-Jupiter_Guest_Resort_Langata-Nairobi.html) it's near the nairobi dam region I think.

I wanted to ask if anybody knew any reason why we shouldn't book there? As in, is the Langata area unsafe or the hotel actually a secret racketeering operation.

my fiancee's dad wants us to book at the country lodge hotel, which is a cousin of the fairview hotel. in my opinion it looks bleak and way above what we can afford even if her dad offered to pay the difference. I think that it's just too expensive. it's more for business people and kinda spartan.

Edited by yketwaroo

our actual timeline.

<-- not that one.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.