Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I scheduled for the medicals just 3 days before the actual day,i traveled to Kenya the day before then had my medicals done on jan-23 and 24,i paid the visa fee at post bank on the first day after the medicals then i managed to schedule for the interview online a few hours after depositing the fee at the bank.

I had my interview on Jan-26, just 2days after the medicals.

so i basically did all in less than a week,the whole process is fast if planned accordingly.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the information. So, that's how it goes (correct me if I'm mistaken, please):

1. Plan and schedule for medicals from your country.

2. Fly to Kenya the day before medicals

3. Have the medicals (takes 2-3 days?)

4. Pay for visa at the post bank

5. Schedule for the interview online and hoping you get it within few days

6. Go on interview

7. ...

Thanks heaps!

Hi...you're not bursting in...welcome to the thread :)

I am the petitioner and was blessed enough to have that time in Kenya. We didn't plan it that way really, it just happened. I did plan on being there for the interview, but I had already planned my travel, then low and behold, we received our NOA2, and then everything else fell into place. I was originally just going to Kenya for a visit, and then was going to go "back again" :blink::blink::wacko: lol ~ for the interview. You can try to do what Dorah28 did if it's possible for you. It's hard when you don't live in Kenya, but have to interview there, etc. We waited the two and a half weeks because we had no choice...there were no interview openings until then. Dorah28 was fortunate enough to get it so quickly :)

I hope all works out for you and if you need anything, just ask. Be blessed.

Hi,

Thanks. That was my first post. I'm glad things fell into place for you. I'm terribly scared (I mean it) about this whole thing. What do you mean by "interview openings"? How do I know about those openings so I can plan accordingly? I can't stay that long there.

Thank you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Thanks for the information. So, that's how it goes (correct me if I'm mistaken, please):

1. Plan and schedule for medicals from your country.

2. Fly to Kenya the day before medicals

3. Have the medicals (takes 2-3 days?)

4. Pay for visa at the post bank

5. Schedule for the interview online and hoping you get it within few days

6. Go on interview

7. ...

Thanks heaps!

Medicals take 2 days and you can also pay for the visa fee before the medicals are done.it will save you time.Actually what i did was to pay for the visa at the post bank just on my way back from the medicals so by the time i was through with the medicals i had already scheduled for the interview.There always openings on the embassy website,you'll be able to get an interview date in about 3days.its very easy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Medicals take 2 days and you can also pay for the visa fee before the medicals are done.it will save you time.Actually what i did was to pay for the visa at the post bank just on my way back from the medicals so by the time i was through with the medicals i had already scheduled for the interview.There always openings on the embassy website,you'll be able to get an interview date in about 3days.its very easy.

Greetings,

What I mean by "interview openings" is when we scheduled ours, there was not an opening for two and a half weeks. Dorah28 was very blessed to have gotten hers so quickly. My goodness, I would have been thrilled if that happened with us, but it didn't...we had to wait. We scheduled it ASAP and then I kept checking to see if any openings became available sooner, but there weren't any...the available dates just kept getting further away.

You should complete all of the forms for the interview, including the DS-160 on-line form (you will need to upload a digital photo for this), pay the fee, THEN schedule your medical and interview. The medical takes two half days. Once you get that scheduled, then you can arrive in Nairobi accordingly. It will all work out...don't be scared, you'll be OK. I know it seems terribly overwhelming, but we all did it and made it through. Just take it one step at a time, it'll be OK. We are here for you. :thumbs:

Also, you won't be able to view the interview openings "until" you 've paid the fee. This will enable you to view the interview calendar and choose your date.

Edited by Ben and Jill

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

:) Thank you!

Greetings,

What I mean by "interview openings" is when we scheduled ours, there was not an opening for two and a half weeks. Dorah28 was very blessed to have gotten hers so quickly. My goodness, I would have been thrilled if that happened with us, but it didn't...we had to wait. We scheduled it ASAP and then I kept checking to see if any openings became available sooner, but there weren't any...the available dates just kept getting further away.

You should complete all of the forms for the interview, including the DS-160 on-line form (you will need to upload a digital photo for this), pay the fee, THEN schedule your medical and interview. The medical takes two half days. Once you get that scheduled, then you can arrive in Nairobi accordingly. It will all work out...don't be scared, you'll be OK. I know it seems terribly overwhelming, but we all did it and made it through. Just take it one step at a time, it'll be OK. We are here for you. :thumbs:

Also, you won't be able to view the interview openings "until" you 've paid the fee. This will enable you to view the interview calendar and choose your date.

Thank you all for the encouragement.

I wish there was more information about those interview openings. I can't afford to stay there very long.

We got our NOA1 on the 21st of January. What do you suggest we do while waiting for NOA2?

Edited by Ziza

Timeline

Thank you all for the encouragement.

I wish there was more information about those interview openings. I can't afford to stay there very long.

We got our NOA1 on the 21st of January. What do you suggest we do while waiting for NOA2?

The only way to view the interview calendar is by paying the fee...that's the only way to access it. You can pay the fee using MPESA (that's how we did it - please check to see if that's still an option, as the process can change at any time). Even if you were to use the call center to schedule the interview, they can't access the calendar for you either until you've paid the fee. I found it more secure scheduling the interview myself as the people at the call center don't seem very educated in the process (at least when I called them, they weren't, but it was brand new at that time, and I believe everyone was still in the learning phase). I would think by now, it's better. You'll be fine...just do everything in the correct order and it will all fall into perfect place.

I suggest you read as much as you can about the Nairobi Embassy through this thread, and also read the Embassy reviews which you can access here on VJ by clicking on Reviews: Embassy/USCIS & POE at the top of this webpage. I strongly suggest you go to the Nairoby Embassy website ~ http://nairobi.usembassy.gov/ ~ and go to the visa section, click on Immigrant Visas, then click on Visa Packets, and read through the K-1 Packet Section. Read through everything here...this will prepare you for what's ahead of you. Also read the "New Visa Application System" section on the Visa webpage (this is how and where you will schedule your interview). The key to getting through this process is being educated, organized, thorough in your paperwork, and being prepared for the interview. You just received your NOA1, so you have some time to prepare...unless you are one of the blessed few who get their NOA2 within a couple of months :D

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

hi again.

small update, we've got our NOA2 and the NVC has sent their stuff on its way to Kenya so I should be getting packet 3 from Nairobi in a few weeks.

I'm still worried about vaccines though. One thing that really annoys me is that many of the vaccinations are listed simply because I'll have to pass though Kenya. It's bad enough they make us travel to a foreign country, they also have to put us at risk of being exposed to diseases we wouldn't have to worry about in out own country.

I suggest you read as much as you can about the Nairobi Embassy through this thread, and also read the Embassy reviews which you can access here on VJ by clicking on Reviews: Embassy/USCIS & POE at the top of this webpage. I strongly suggest you go to the Nairoby Embassy website ~ http://nairobi.usembassy.gov/ ~ and go to the visa section, click on Immigrant Visas, then click on Visa Packets, and read through the K-1 Packet Section. Read through everything here...this will prepare you for what's ahead of you. Also read the "New Visa Application System" section on the Visa webpage (this is how and where you will schedule your interview). The key to getting through this process is being educated, organized, thorough in your paperwork, and being prepared for the interview. You just received your NOA1, so you have some time to prepare...unless you are one of the blessed few who get their NOA2 within a couple of months :D

Thanks Jill for providing helpful info! (I'm assuming it's Jill speaking.)

edit -- and Dorah28 too

Edited by yketwaroo

our actual timeline.

<-- not that one.

Timeline

I'm still worried about vaccines though. One thing that really annoys me is that many of the vaccinations are listed simply because I'll have to pass though Kenya. It's bad enough they make us travel to a foreign country, they also have to put us at risk of being exposed to diseases we wouldn't have to worry about in out own country.

Out of curiosity, what is listed just for traveling to Kenya? As far as I'm aware the only required vaccine for travel to Kenya is yellow fever IF traveling from a country where YF is found (Mauritius is not one of those countries) or if traveling to a part of Kenya where YF is prevalent (which does not include Nairobi.) I haven't seen a list of vaccines required in a while, but as far as I remember Sifa only had to get regular stuff like MMR, Hepatitis A & B, flu shot.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Timeline

hi again.

small update, we've got our NOA2 and the NVC has sent their stuff on its way to Kenya so I should be getting packet 3 from Nairobi in a few weeks.

Thanks Jill for providing helpful info! (I'm assuming it's Jill speaking.)

edit -- and Dorah28 too

Yes, it is Jill speaking :) FYI ~ Ben never was in receipt of any packet 3. What happened was I emailed the Embassy asking them whether or not they had received our petition, and they responded and their instructions were to go to the Embassy website and follow the guidance there (which is what I stated in my previous post). They do not send you anything via mail. You should email the Embassy and inquire as to whether they received your petition (include your NRB case # in the subject line, and in the body of the email, include the petitioner's name and DOB, beneficiary's name and DOB, and include your USCIS case # as well - provide as much information as you can) - they will respond within two weeks. They will advise you in that email to go to the K-1 visa packets section on their website and follow the instructions there. That will give you a head start...just didn't want you sitting and waiting for something that isn't going to come :)

You still have a lot of paperwork to do...I'd advise doing that now to get a head start. You also need to complete the DS-160 on-line form...this takes a while and you will need a digital photo and the specifications for that photo are listed in the instructions on the Embassy website.

Regarding the vaccines, like Katie said, the only one that is required for entry into Kenya is yellow fever if traveling from a country where yellow fever exists.

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Hi all I have been reading for a while but just decided to start posting. Hope I am not interrupting anything if I ask a new question.

We received NOA 1 in early October. I was hoping we would hear something by now so I checked on the status at the USCIS website. I checked their processing times and they say the average is 18 months! This is much longer than I have been hearing elsewhere! Anyone else see this? Should I be nervous?

THanks!!!

Yes, it is Jill speaking :) FYI ~ Ben never was in receipt of any packet 3. What happened was I emailed the Embassy asking them whether or not they had received our petition, and they responded and their instructions were to go to the Embassy website and follow the guidance there (which is what I stated in my previous post). They do not send you anything via mail. You should email the Embassy and inquire as to whether they received your petition (include your NRB case # in the subject line, and in the body of the email, include the petitioner's name and DOB, beneficiary's name and DOB, and include your USCIS case # as well - provide as much information as you can) - they will respond within two weeks. They will advise you in that email to go to the K-1 visa packets section on their website and follow the instructions there. That will give you a head start...just didn't want you sitting and waiting for something that isn't going to come :)

You still have a lot of paperwork to do...I'd advise doing that now to get a head start. You also need to complete the DS-160 on-line form...this takes a while and you will need a digital photo and the specifications for that photo are listed in the instructions on the Embassy website.

Regarding the vaccines, like Katie said, the only one that is required for entry into Kenya is yellow fever if traveling from a country where yellow fever exists.

Hi,

I don't think yketwaroo meant required vaccines for entry into Kenya. It's about the requirements vaccinations for the U.S visa. He thinks (I do, as well), that those 16 vaccines listed are unreasonable. Different countries have different requirement vaccinations and sometimes depending on immunity. And because, we have to go through Kenya, we are to have same vaccinations.

P.S. I have needle phobia. 16 vaccines is a terrifying thought.

Out of curiosity, what is listed just for traveling to Kenya? As far as I'm aware the only required vaccine for travel to Kenya is yellow fever IF traveling from a country where YF is found (Mauritius is not one of those countries) or if traveling to a part of Kenya where YF is prevalent (which does not include Nairobi.) I haven't seen a list of vaccines required in a while, but as far as I remember Sifa only had to get regular stuff like MMR, Hepatitis A & B, flu shot.

Hi. actually, my fiancee was looking into the shots she would need to come to Nairobi to be with me and she found this: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/kenya.htm

Seems that the vaccinations listed are very common. But still, it seems that most of the vaccines listed under "Vaccine-Preventable Diseases" are in the list found here: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Kenya&cty=Nairobi,%20Kenya

The policy seems to be that since I am going to be visiting kenya too, I need the vaccines deemed needed by the US for anyone going there.

It is true that I won't need all the vaccinations. But here's the thing about Mauritius, a lot of people here don't have medical records.. It's due to a combination of the health service being free and culture I guess. The worse that could happen is that they tell me they have to do blood tests to know which vaccines I need. which would cause delays and probably cost much much more and it's not covered by my health insurance.

Since it's a costly trip just for the interview, we're trying to prepare the maximum ahead of the actual trip.

also... I can't say I entirely trust unknown foreign doctors to examine me and give me shots.

I may just be ranting/venting/complaining though.

Hi all I have been reading for a while but just decided to start posting. Hope I am not interrupting anything if I ask a new question.

We received NOA 1 in early October. I was hoping we would hear something by now so I checked on the status at the USCIS website. I checked their processing times and they say the average is 18 months! This is much longer than I have been hearing elsewhere! Anyone else see this? Should I be nervous?

THanks!!!

It depends on the service center. We got vermont and it took almost exaclty 5 months to get the NOA2. I think texas is backed up. If you filled out a vj timeline it should give you an estimate based on the success rate of other people in the same situation or date range as you.

our actual timeline.

<-- not that one.

Timeline

THanks!!!

Hello, the time frame for waiting for the NOA2 is 5-8 months...ours was approved in nearly 6 months. Read the timelines here on VJ...they're fairly accurate. Don't worry...I am fairly positive you will not wait 18 months....that's a bit much. Typically, we all wait around 5-6 months, so hang in there! :) Welcome to VJ too...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Hi. actually, my fiancee was looking into the shots she would need to come to Nairobi to be with me and she found this: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/kenya.htm

Seems that the vaccinations listed are very common. But still, it seems that most of the vaccines listed under "Vaccine-Preventable Diseases" are in the list found here: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Kenya&cty=Nairobi,%20Kenya

The policy seems to be that since I am going to be visiting kenya too, I need the vaccines deemed needed by the US for anyone going there.

It is true that I won't need all the vaccinations. But here's the thing about Mauritius, a lot of people here don't have medical records.. It's due to a combination of the health service being free and culture I guess. The worse that could happen is that they tell me they have to do blood tests to know which vaccines I need. which would cause delays and probably cost much much more and it's not covered by my health insurance.

Since it's a costly trip just for the interview, we're trying to prepare the maximum ahead of the actual trip.

also... I can't say I entirely trust unknown foreign doctors to examine me and give me shots.

I may just be ranting/venting/complaining though.

It depends on the service center. We got vermont and it took almost exaclty 5 months to get the NOA2. I think texas is backed up. If you filled out a vj timeline it should give you an estimate based on the success rate of other people in the same situation or date range as you.

I had to have shots for traveling to Kenya and the total I had to have was 6 shots and I survived and I hate shots too, LOL. You will NOT need every shot listed....I think you may be worrying a bit too much :blush::blush: Ben had no medical records either, and they will speak to you and determine what you need and will only give you what they feel you absolutely need. As far as the unknown foreign doctors giving you shots....you're definitely over thinking it and worrying wayyyyy too much. Listen...relax, you've got way bigger fish to fry, and I am only being honest and trying to make you feel better, but you REALLY are over thinking the shots....trust me. You will NOT be required to get 16 shots ~ Ben had maybe 5 at best...and he's here and survived the medical, LOL.

Forget about the shots...once you're through it, you'll think back and say, "geez, why was I so worried?" LOL. Focus on the paperwork! That'll keep your mind off the shots :blush::star::star: Stay blessed, and I promise...you'll be superfine.

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.