Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Our case left NVC on 4-15-11 and was received by the Nairobi Embassy on or around 4-19-11. I emailed the embassy to see if they received our packet and they responded in about a week or so. I didn't wait for them to contact us first. Our interview was 5-26-11 so the wait wasn't long at all. This was for a K-1. I don't know how long it takes to schedule CR-1's.

Oh yeah, definitely call them. I have a friend who just went through Nairobi and they waited 3 months and didn't hear anything, and then they called the embassy and found out it had been there for pretty much the whole 3 months and that they had "tried" to contact the beneficiary but didn't get through and didn't try again. Don't wait for them to get hold of you.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Timeline

Oh yeah, definitely call them. I have a friend who just went through Nairobi and they waited 3 months and didn't hear anything, and then they called the embassy and found out it had been there for pretty much the whole 3 months and that they had "tried" to contact the beneficiary but didn't get through and didn't try again. Don't wait for them to get hold of you.

Oh my goodness, that's terrible. Yea, I sent them an email immediately when I knew our case left NVC...I wasn't waiting. I did try to call the Embassy, but I could never, ever get to the Consular Section. I would have had better luck reaching Barack Obama, I think, LOL.

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Oh my goodness, that's terrible. Yea, I sent them an email immediately when I knew our case left NVC...I wasn't waiting. I did try to call the Embassy, but I could never, ever get to the Consular Section. I would have had better luck reaching Barack Obama, I think, LOL.

Apparently they now have a US number, which they didn't have when we were going through all of this craziness! I did have success getting through to them by phone ONCE so that we could reschedule our interview. But generally...no. Email was a little better. Plus you have to wake up crazy early to try to call someone there during business hours (or at least I did!)

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Timeline

Apparently they now have a US number, which they didn't have when we were going through all of this craziness! I did have success getting through to them by phone ONCE so that we could reschedule our interview. But generally...no. Email was a little better. Plus you have to wake up crazy early to try to call someone there during business hours (or at least I did!)

I tried calling the US number...unfortunately, they were of little help if you had a question regarding your petition at the Embassy stage. It's funny....when I actually was able to speak to someone at the Embassy (no one in the Consular section though...never was able to get that far), they told me to call the US number, then when I called the US number, they were of little help :bonk::blink: I had to call the Embassy at 1 am my time, LOL. I think back and am just very, very grateful that all that is in the past. I'm just so thankful that Ben's home and we are together...for that, I am extremely grateful. It's a long road and being separated doesn't make it easy. Anyway, the Embassy answered everyone of my emails, so that seems to be the best way.

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi guys,

I have been MIA for so long, but I just wanted to let you know that Pascal has his interview in ONE WEEK. I'm freaking out a little. Can anyone who has been through this let us know what some good evidence is to prove a 'bona fide' relationship. He has pictures from all my visits and our trip to Hong Kong. He also has the things I copied and included in the I-129f. I also have some emails I forwarded to him from when I was seeking employment at the West Nairobi School, just to prove that it doesn't matter where we live as long as we're together. What else should he bring? I cannot be there because I am a teacher and I can't take the time off when it isn't school vacation. Do you think that will affect us? I hope we don't have any red flags!!

-Beth

Timeline

Hi guys,

I have been MIA for so long, but I just wanted to let you know that Pascal has his interview in ONE WEEK. I'm freaking out a little. Can anyone who has been through this let us know what some good evidence is to prove a 'bona fide' relationship. He has pictures from all my visits and our trip to Hong Kong. He also has the things I copied and included in the I-129f. I also have some emails I forwarded to him from when I was seeking employment at the West Nairobi School, just to prove that it doesn't matter where we live as long as we're together. What else should he bring? I cannot be there because I am a teacher and I can't take the time off when it isn't school vacation. Do you think that will affect us? I hope we don't have any red flags!!

-Beth

Hi Beth, we just went through the Nairobi Embassy in May of this year for a K-1...brought pictures, letters, emails, and phone bills from the time we filed the K-1 (October 2010) until the time of the interview (May 2011). We just made sure to cover the lapse of time in between filing and the actual interview to prove our relationship was ongoing. Tell Pascal to be "organized" with everything he brings and to have confidence. The CO asked Ben the following questions: "When did you meet? How did you meet? How many times has your fiance traveled to Kenya? Tell me something about your fiance, what does she like/not like? Is she here now?" And she also asked how come we had so many handwritten letters, LOL. Confidence is key and good eye contact. I was there with Ben, but it's OK if you can't be...not everyone can do that. He will be fine. It doesn't sound like you have any red flags or anything to worry about. The CO asked Ben for no additional proof of anything, but he had it just in case. He was in and out in ten minutes. You don't want to give them any reason to make you come back again, so bring it all nice and organized and you will be good to go. Please let me know if you have any other questions or need anything...I will be glad to help in anyway I can. You guys will be fine. God Bless and good luck! Let us know how everything went :) ~Jill

Edited by Ben and Jill

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

He will be fine, just confidence since it is a genuine relationship and you both know each other so well.

K-1 Visa
Mailed package: 2010-05-21 NOA1: 2010-06-04 NOA2: 2010-08-24 Medical: 2010-09-27 Interview: 2010-09-30 APPROVED!!!! POE: 2010-12-26(JFK)
AOS
Mailed package: 2011-02-05 NOA1: 2011-02-12 Transferred to CSC: 2011-03-16 Biometrics: 2011-03-29 EAD/AP card received: 2011-04-09 GreenCard Received: 2011-04-23
ROC
Mailed package: 2013-01-15 NOA1: 2013-01-18 Biometrics: 2013-02-21 Approved: 2013-07-09 Card production ordered: 2013-07-18 Received: 2013-07-25

N400
Mailed package: 2014-01-16 NOA1: 2014-01-23 Biometrics: 2014-02-13 In-line: 2014-03-14 Interview: 2014-06-10 Oath: 2014-06-25

Passport (Normal)
Mailed package: 2014-07-10 Received: 2014-08-06

Timeline

The interview had to be rescheduled for the following week! Disappointed, but it gives us more time to prepare I suppose.

OK, well...everything happens for a reason :) Good luck next week then, all the best and many blessings. :D

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

The interview had to be rescheduled for the following week! Disappointed, but it gives us more time to prepare I suppose.

Opps! But i believe thats for the best. Im wishing you guys all the best in your interview. I look forward to hearing good news. Be blessed.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

APPROVED!! He said it was the easiest interview ever. The woman only asked him 4 questions:

How did you meet?

How long were you in Hong Kong? (We met up on vacation there a couple of years ago)

What did you do there?

What do you plan to do when you get to the US?

Then the only document she wanted was the I-134, and didn't ask to see any of the supporting documents he had with him. Then she said, "Okay the hard part is over, your visa has been granted" -- or something to that effect.

Only bad part is that his passport needs to be sent through DHL and they estimated 1-2 weeks. I wish I knew so we can plan his flight, but when it comes to things in Kenya I just never trust deadlines. But whatever, at least we know he'll be here!! It's surreal after all this time.

Thanks for everyone's support and advice!

Timeline

APPROVED!! He said it was the easiest interview ever. The woman only asked him 4 questions:

How did you meet?

How long were you in Hong Kong? (We met up on vacation there a couple of years ago)

What did you do there?

Then the only document she wanted was the I-134, and didn't ask to see any of the supporting documents he had with him. Then she said, "Okay the hard part is over, your visa has been granted" -- or something to that effect.

Only bad part is that his passport needs to be sent through DHL and they estimated 1-2 weeks. I wish I knew so we can plan his flight, but when it comes to things in Kenya I just never trust deadlines. But whatever, at least we know he'll be here!! It's surreal after all this time.

AWESOME! Congrats :) :)

K-1

AOS

ROC

Naturalization

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

How did you meet?

What did you do there?

Congrats!!!! :thumbs:

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Timeline

How did you meet?

What did you do there?

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! That's fabulous and I am sooooo happy it was easy for him! That's GREAT to hear! You must be so relieved! Yes, don't make any travel plans until his visa is in his hand. I am so happy for you both! I am smiling from ear to ear ~ God bless the rest of your journey and everything now will be together and nothing beats that! I'm really happy for you :)

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.