Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
Seems that they have changed their system. Call the embassy to see if you could reschedule his interview day. May you find God's favor.

I called this morning eaaaarly and they were very nice - let me pick the new appointment date and everything. The reason we were worried was his paperwork said something about not being able to cancel or change an appointment once it has been set. They didn't even ask about medical or anything, just what his case number was and she changed it. January 11 at 7 am!! Eee! :dance:

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
Has anyone else had the experience that the Nairobi Embassy sends the beneficiary an interview date WITH packet 3? My fiance received the packet & it said his interview date will be Dec 8. We want to have the interview in January, I'm hoping that if I call tomorrow morning (walked 60 miles in 3 days this weekend, wasn't able to get up before 7:30 am my time & the Embassy is already closed for the day there) they will be able to change it!! I haven't read about anyone else just getting an interview date with their packet!

Yes it seems like the Embassy is getting more efficient--my fiance never even got a packet in the mail! He picked it up in Nairobi before his medical appt. I would just call and see if you can change that date. Shouldn't be a problem. The people there are really nice and I just explained I was would be there with him in January so they let me pick a date in January. You walked 60 miles? Wow! :thumbs: What was it for?

-K-1-

Apr 24th, 2008 - Proposal!!!

Jun 20th, 2008 - I-129F petition sent to VSC

Jun 24th, 2008 - NOA 1 Sent

Jul 10th, 2008 - Touched

Nov 12th, 2008 - APPROVED!!!! YEEEAAAH!!

Nov 14th, 2008 - NVC received petition

Nov 18th, 2008 - Petition leaves NVC

Nov 24th, 2008 - Petition arrives at Nairobi Embassy

Dec 23rd, 2008 - Medical Exam

Jan 7th, 2009 - Interview in Nairobi-- APPROVED!!! Visa in hand same day!

Feb 21st, 2009 - POE, Logan Airport Boston, USA -- forgot to give my fiance his I-94 # (!) Had to go back and get it when we realized

Mar 28th, 2009 - Wedding!

-AOS-

April 27th, 2009 - Mailed AOS & EAD

April 29th, 2009 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

May 5th, 2009 - NOA for AOS & EAD

May 30th, 2009 - Completed Biometrics at Boston Office

June 3rd, 2009 - EAD card production ordered

June 10th, 2009 - EAD arrived in mail

July 10th, 2009 - Touched

August 8th, 2009 - RFE = requesting a new I-693

August 21st, 2009 - Completed new medical

August 22nd, 2009 - Mailed RFE priority

August 26th, 2009 - CRIS e-mail: AOS approved!

Sept 3rd, 2009 - Conditional green card arrived in mail!

-ROC-

May 16th, 2011 - Applied to lift conditions at VSC

May 31st, 2011 - NOA, residence status extended for one year

Aug 16th, 2011 - Biometrics

Jan 4th, 2012 - Approved! Card is in the mail :)

Timeline

Congratulations. May,you find God's favour all the way. Amen

Seems that they have changed their system. Call the embassy to see if you could reschedule his interview day. May you find God's favor.

I called this morning eaaaarly and they were very nice - let me pick the new appointment date and everything. The reason we were worried was his paperwork said something about not being able to cancel or change an appointment once it has been set. They didn't even ask about medical or anything, just what his case number was and she changed it. January 11 at 7 am!! Eee! :dance:

In your Strength, I can crush an army; with my God , I can scale any wall .....2nd Samuel 22:30

For God did not give us a spirit of fear and timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self discipline}... 2 Timothy 1 :7[/i]

Set me as seal over your heart. Solomon 8:6

imgfinal2.jpg

AOS

08/03/2009 - AOS Approval

08/13/ 2009- GC in mail

ROC

09/01/2011 - Roc Approval

N - 400

06/15/2012 - Mailed N - 400 package to Phoenix

06/19/2012 - Notice of Action

07/20/2012 - Biometrics

08/20/2012 - Interview: PASSED

09/21/2012 - Oath Ceremony :)

09/21/2012 - US Citizen

RqhYvq6.jpgRqhYm4.pngRqhYm4.png

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows James 1 : 17[/center]

Timeline
Has anyone else had the experience that the Nairobi Embassy sends the beneficiary an interview date WITH packet 3? My fiance received the packet & it said his interview date will be Dec 8. We want to have the interview in January, I'm hoping that if I call tomorrow morning (walked 60 miles in 3 days this weekend, wasn't able to get up before 7:30 am my time & the Embassy is already closed for the day there) they will be able to change it!! I haven't read about anyone else just getting an interview date with their packet!

Yes it seems like the Embassy is getting more efficient--my fiance never even got a packet in the mail! He picked it up in Nairobi before his medical appt. I would just call and see if you can change that date. Shouldn't be a problem. The people there are really nice and I just explained I was would be there with him in January so they let me pick a date in January. You walked 60 miles? Wow! :thumbs: What was it for?

I called this morning early & got a new time - explained to them just like you that I would be there in January and want to come to the appointment, she asked me what day I wanted to come in & reassigned it for Jan. 11! Phew. Now getting all the paperwork together for the I-134. Do you think it's sufficient to have a letter from my employer & a few months paycheck stubs? I have been working at the same non-profit for a year & a half and make $30k/year.

I was walking for the Breast Cancer 3 Day (www.the3day.org) - my mom is a survivor & we were doing it together!

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Timeline

I just had an empolyer letter, my two most recent pay stubs, and I think my pay stub at the end of the year (the last one in Dec., which I would recommend for you, as in January it won't show much earned) We didn't have any problems. Also, I kind of fill the lady who interviewed Allan had her decision pretty much made up before he interviewed... she really read through the packet. I would recommend turing in everything you can before the interview....better to have more then to think they will ask for more evidence but for them not to.

Good luck!!

Timeline
I just had an empolyer letter, my two most recent pay stubs, and I think my pay stub at the end of the year (the last one in Dec., which I would recommend for you, as in January it won't show much earned) We didn't have any problems. Also, I kind of fill the lady who interviewed Allan had her decision pretty much made up before he interviewed... she really read through the packet. I would recommend turing in everything you can before the interview....better to have more then to think they will ask for more evidence but for them not to.

Good luck!!

Great, thanks! I have my tax return from 2008 but it doesn't reflect my full income since I started working here in May 08 & only made a very small amount from Peace Corps in 08 (my last day was 1/19/08) so I didn't know if that would be helpful. I CAN have my parents be co-sponsors but it sounds like it might not be necessary.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Naturalization

Timeline

I also, didn't make much in 2007, because I was in Uganda most of the year, but I think they just looked at my current salary. I had my parents fill out all the paperwork to co-sponsor just in-case, but told Allan to first just give my information and then give my parents only if they said I didn't qualify to sponsor. The interviewer just went off my information and we didn't have any problems.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Rwanda
Timeline

Hello All,

Just wanted to stop in and say "hi" to everyone. I have only popped on and off every once in a while because I am working during the day and taking four classes at night. I don't seem to have much free time. Today, I have time because we are in a serious storm and everything is closed down.

I think of our journeys often and how a year ago, a lot of us were still waiting, wondering, and worrying...but now we are married and living life as normal....God sure is good!!!!!

I want to encourage everyone who is still in the process to be strong and patient and to trust in the Lord!!!...He know the plan better than you! His time might not be your time but it will be the right time.

We are doing well....my husband received his 2 year greencard and has his own business as a telephonic interpreter.

I hope to get on VisaJourney more often over the holidays as I will have a break between semesters of school and be on break from work because I work for the school system.

Take care and I miss this Thread!!! I commend you guys for keeping up with it!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello

I am new to VJ and so excited to have found this forum!! The information here is great! My fiance lives in Nairobi and I will be out there to see him in May!! I cant wait. We wont be filing until next year after I return from my trip but I am loving reading the exeriences!! I had a question about the medical... is it possible to do the medical stuff when i am there in May even though we havent even filed the K-1 yet? i want to get everything we can out the way when I am there so everything can be smooth sailing. Thanks again Sub Saharan family!!

Timeline
Hello

I am new to VJ and so excited to have found this forum!! The information here is great! My fiance lives in Nairobi and I will be out there to see him in May!! I cant wait. We wont be filing until next year after I return from my trip but I am loving reading the exeriences!! I had a question about the medical... is it possible to do the medical stuff when i am there in May even though we havent even filed the K-1 yet? i want to get everything we can out the way when I am there so everything can be smooth sailing. Thanks again Sub Saharan family!!

Welcome Cherish! Glad to see you here and thanks for taking time to look through the thread. I don't believe you can do the medical before you have even filed. They need a case number and they also ask you when your interview is. Of course I am not 100% but I wouldn't bet on it. You can always call the medical center and ask. How did you meet your fiance? I met my husband while I was volunteering as an artist/counselor in Uganda in 2007. Wow, that seems like ages ago!!! I agree with Lovehasnoborders--what a journey it has been, it all seems like such a breeze looking back but the waiting was torture!

Right now we are living in Salem, MA, I am working as a therapist and my husband is going to school and refereeing soccer games. He got is 2-year green card in August.

I am also happy to see this thread alive and well!

Madelene

-K-1-

Jul 10th, 2008 - Touched

Feb 21st, 2009 - POE, Logan Airport Boston, USA -- forgot to give my fiance his I-94 # (!) Had to go back and get it when we realized

-AOS-

-ROC-

Filed: Country: Kenya
Timeline
Hello

Welcome Cherish! Glad to see you here and thanks for taking time to look through the thread. I don't believe you can do the medical before you have even filed. They need a case number and they also ask you when your interview is. Of course I am not 100% but I wouldn't bet on it. You can always call the medical center and ask. How did you meet your fiance? I met my husband while I was volunteering as an artist/counselor in Uganda in 2007. Wow, that seems like ages ago!!! I agree with Lovehasnoborders--what a journey it has been, it all seems like such a breeze looking back but the waiting was torture!

Right now we are living in Salem, MA, I am working as a therapist and my husband is going to school and refereeing soccer games. He got is 2-year green card in August.

Madelene

Hi

Thank you for the welcome!! We actually met online! I looked through your beautiful pictures! What an a lovely trip! I had to call my mom over to see them! i cant wait for my May trip and gathering all those memories!

Timeline

welcome Cherish.

You have to file for K-1. We wish you all the best in your Visa Journey. May you find God's favor.

In your Strength, I can crush an army; with my God , I can scale any wall .....2nd Samuel 22:30

For God did not give us a spirit of fear and timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self discipline}... 2 Timothy 1 :7[/i]

Set me as seal over your heart. Solomon 8:6

imgfinal2.jpg

AOS

08/03/2009 - AOS Approval

08/13/ 2009- GC in mail

ROC

09/01/2011 - Roc Approval

N - 400

06/15/2012 - Mailed N - 400 package to Phoenix

06/19/2012 - Notice of Action

07/20/2012 - Biometrics

08/20/2012 - Interview: PASSED

09/21/2012 - Oath Ceremony :)

09/21/2012 - US Citizen

RqhYvq6.jpgRqhYm4.pngRqhYm4.png

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows James 1 : 17[/center]

Timeline
Hello

Madelene

Hi

Thank you for the welcome!! We actually met online! I looked through your beautiful pictures! What an a lovely trip! I had to call my mom over to see them! i cant wait for my May trip and gathering all those memories!

East Africa is GORGEOUS. You should visit Uganda! I love that place--and not just because my husband is from there :)

-K-1-

Jul 10th, 2008 - Touched

-AOS-

-ROC-

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi friends how things going on I hope y’all doing well, I have question in the consular stage do they ask to show pictures of party engagement, is requirement to have party engagement?

Thanks for your help

Timeline
Hi friends how things going on I hope y’all doing well, I have question in the consular stage do they ask to show pictures of party engagement, is requirement to have party engagement?

Thanks for your help

They didn't ask for that specifically in my husband's interview. In fact, they didn't ask for any pictures at all. The interviewer just looked at the pictures we had put in the original K-1 petition.

Obviously, bring pictures/e-mails/etc documenting an on-going relationship just in case. But the reality was we were never asked for them.

I have heard some people say they were asked when they got engaged. But I don't think they specifically asked for pictures.

Basically, if you don't have pictures of the engagement party, but have strong proof of an on-going bonafide relationship in your petition and you can answer straightforward questions about your relationship during the interview, you shouldn't have a problem. Nairobi is not the hardest consulate to go through by far.

When if your interview date? Good luck! :thumbs:

-K-1-

Jul 10th, 2008 - Touched

-AOS-

-ROC-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.