SK&SP

K-1 people waiting for interviews at Montreal

3,179 posts in this topic

i just applied for my police clearance last monday. i went to rcmp in toronto and just ask for a police clearance for us immigration. and the officer took my picture and got my info and he said it will be ready in 5 working days. i will call tomorrow to check if they already have it and then il pick it up on monday.

and btw, i paid 39 dollars!

can you please tell me the exact address? i'm planning to get also, is it the one in Kennedy and Sheppard?

May 2000 - first time we met

June 2000 - started dating

Feb.16, 2008 - filed for K1

Feb. 25, 2008 -NOA1

July 26, 2008 -NOA2

July 31, 2008 - Package received ny NVC

Aug. 5, 2008 -Recieved by Montreal Consulate

Sept.12, 2008 -Packet 3 received

Sept.17, 2008 -Packet 3 sent

Dec. 12, 2008 -Packet 4 received

Feb 11, 2009 -interview

Feb 20, 2009 - K1 visa received

Feb 25, 2009 - US entry

March 18,2009- Wedding

AOS

April 9, 2009 - filed for application

April 15, 2009 - NOA received for I-1485,EAD, & AP

May 5, 2009 - Biometrics

May 26, 2009 - AP received

May 26, 2009 - card production ordered for EAD

June 5, 2009 - EAD received

July 7, 2009 - Interview appointment received

Aug 20, 2009 - Interview---approved

Sept 2, 2009 - Card recieved

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone, Chris and I are back from the Montreal interview. :dance:

Our appointment was on Tuesday, and after spending a few days in Montreal to enjoy the food (and brave the cold) it all went well and we made it home in one piece.

The interview was super easy and basic. We arrived at the consulate around 8am, got in from the cold right away, went through security, up the elevator and waited for our number to be called. When it was, we handed over originals and copies of requested documents, paid the fee, and then sat down for about half an hour before we were called to window 8 for our interview.

We had a really pleasant officer ask us questions, check our documents, verify this and that, and it was really so super fast and easy, there was nothing tricky about it. I think we were in there for oh.. maybe five minutes. Then he explained the visa would be processed that day, sent off in the Xpresspost, and sure enough.... my visa arrived today! Yup. Interview Tuesday, Visa by Thursday. Not bad. I am truly impressed.

All in all, we were there for about two hours or so, and it was the most pleasant and painless process to date. The Montreal folks were a pleasure to deal with and it was a good overall experience.

Our hotel was perfect (Travelodge on Rene Levesque) and within three walking blocks. We couldn't have had a better overall experience. Plus, the food was great as per usual. :star:

So, now, with Visa in hand... I'll be packing it in and crossing the border in a few weeks. Not bad. Phew. It's nice to have this part of the process over. On to the next stages of the game!

Best of luck to all waiting and gearing up for interviews, etc. And relax. Once you get to that point, it's a breeze!

Lori

hey lori, congrats!! I was just wondering, could you list the things they asked for, i have copies and forms and all kinds of stuff but im so worried im gonna be missing things or that i dont have the right stuff, guess im just nervous, a list would be so helpful

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh goodness. I went through the same thing. I was terrified I would forget something, or somehow miss an important document. But... it really is a piece of cake once you're there. I know that doesn't mean much when you're on the other side waiting and nervous, but once you get into that little interview room, it's really all quite easy and pleasant.

Okay, so... the actual interview letter asked for passport, two pics, the $131 and then "originals and one copy of all documents". So, I took that to mean... the original and copy of pretty much everything you submitted last: birth certificate, I-134, evidence of relationship, police record, the official forms (DS, etc). So, I made sure to have one stack with the originals all neat and tidy, and then in the same order I had a stack of the copies of those. That's what I took to the interview.

When you get to the consulate and make it to the 19th floor, you first go to a window to get a number. Then they hand you a page that lists what they want to see in what order: passport, passport pics, evidence.

Then, in the first window where you are processed, the woman we had was very nice and easy to chat with. She asked for the passport, the pics, the renewed letter from my fiance saying he was still legally able and wanting to marry me, the original police certificate, and then she took the fee and my fingerprints.

She did not ask for the DS-160, and I didn't offer it, but I did have it ready for her. The only thing she asked for that I did not have was a photocopy of my passport. She then photocopied it herself. Otherwise, from my stack of papers, she did not ask for anything. But I was glad to be prepared!

Then, we sat down and waited for our name to be called to the interview room. Once inside, we raised our hands in oath/affirmation, answered questions (how did you meet, where was this picture taken, when is the wedding), and I signed the oath form. The officer made small talk while looking at the medical, checking off boxes, and verifying I had not been denied entry, had problems at the border previously, or been in trouble with the police. Once he signed off on a form or two, he said the visa would be processed and be in the mail. Then he wished us luck.

So, to summarize... take the original of your official documents, and one copy. Take an updated letter from your fiance that says he/she is legally able to marry you. Take a photocopy of the inside of your passport. Remember the police certificate. Carry additional evidence in case it is requested. And most importantly, relax. They were really nice people, easy to talk to, and we felt entirely at ease the whole time. It was five minutes with each person and it went by so quick, it really was painless.

Best of luck!

Lori (and Chris)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone!

Got back last night - 20 hrs of driving in 48 hours BAAH.

I will say that my experience was EXACTLY what Chris had described. I was the first in line, the 2nd was another VJer :)

Outside the doors at about 7:20...I was numb - 36 that morning with the windchill!! Got inside and no problems with security, they gave me letter A (I was actually 2ns in line, but they had put the name of the lady's daughter that was first down on their list, instead of hers...so there was a bit of a holdup for her :S)

Waited for a couple mins at the elevator. The lady (Shirley, a VJer too) that was behind me, reminded me to put my return address on my Xpress Post envelope (DOH!) and we chatted. Her and I were the only two people upstairs for the firs 20-25 mins (kinda eerie in that place eh? Felt like I was in the Men in Black building lol)

1st time I got called to the window, she wanted : Passport, passport pictures, medical envelope (not the xray), Birth certificate and a copy of it (mine btw) police clearance, I-134 and supporting documents, and the barcode page from the DS-160 and letter of intent to marry from my fiance.

then she asked me to pay at the cashier and sat down

I got called back she fingerprinted me and I signed one of the forms.

then I went to sit down

1/2 hour later I was called into room 8 for the interview. He was super nice and joked around with me...Also when I mentioned I had used VJ for information, he said "oh you must have read about me? I was the one people said was really nice and was a joker" LOL. So say nice things, because it *seems as though he has a VJ account! He asked me:

*When we met

*How we met

*When we thought about getting married

*when he proposed

*how he proposed (called him a Southern gentleman for getting down on one knee and asking my father first :) )

*Did we have a wedding date

*How many times he had been to Canada

*How many times I had traveled down (not length of visits though)

*What Bo did for work

*How long Bo Had worked there

*What I did for work- described it

*What did I plan on doing down there?

*Asked me to tell a bit about the pictures I had sent in the original I-129 package (there were only 5 pics) - He didn't ask for any newer evidence of ongoing relationship, though I did have it just in case

*He told me that there were no financial concerns, health concerns or criminal concerns, commented on the completeness of my paperwork, told me *that He totally believed it was a bonafide relationship and that we make a very cute couple LOL.

Although it seems like a lot of questions, it was just like talking to a friend...totally conversation-like and he made jokes about things and I was completely at ease. It was wonderful :)

I was out of there by 9:30..so 2 hrs from the time I went in through security. It felt like a huuuge weight has been lifted and I concur with everyone when they say this was the easiest part of all this. The interviewer says I should have it by the middle of next week. I will be flying out of Halifax on the 3rd of February ( I finish work on the 28th). I just can't wait

Oh, and the wedding is March 6th :D Looking like my mother-in-law will have the big things planned by the time I get there :)

Hope this helps!!

<3 Jen

~She's my Lion~
~He's my Puppy~

[size=5]Our Timeline[/size]

05/05/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC
05/14/08 - NOA1
09/01/08 - NOA2
09/11/08 - Petition received by US Consulate in Montreal
09/20/08 - Received Packet 3
10/02/08 - Packet 3 delivered to MTL
10/16/08 - Medical in Halifax
01/15/09 - Interview in Montreal
01/20/09 - Visa in Hand
02/03/09 - Fly to US - POE Halifax NS
03/06/09 - Wedding in Yanceyville, NC

AOS
4/24/09 - Sent AOS package (after too many delays!)
4/27/09 - Signed for in Chicago
5/05/09 - Check cashed and all three NOA1's in the mail
5/14/09 - Received Biometrics appointment letter - Appointment is June 2nd.
6/2/09 - Biometrics at Raleigh field office - they were some of the nicest people :)
6/18/09 - EAD approved and card production ordered
6/20/09- received AP papers in the mail
6/22/09 EAD card arrived in the mail (that was fast eh?)
7/09/09 - received notice of GC appointment date
8/07/09 - Green Card interview at Raleigh Field office at 8:45am - Given RFE for I-693 Vaccination suppliment
9/08/09 - returned RFE to field office. Approved for Green Card
9/09/09 - Received email that Card production had been ordered.
9/17/09 - Green Card in the mail - No more USCIS until June, 2011 :D

Thanks so much Lori and Jen, hearing some RECENT details really helps, i mean ive read all kinds of reviews from before but my interview is on the 27th and i wanted something from this month knowing what its all about really, and thank you Lori for clearing that up for me, i feel a little better, so what about the forms i sent in with packet 3, i dont need a photocopy of that do i?? and the ds 160 is that the form that we kept and didn't send and it says to bring with us? anybody else use a co sponsor?

Timeline

Congrats Jen!!! I'm glad it went well for you. Best of luck with the move, too.

Cheryl and Richard - I wasn't asked for any of them at the interview, but I did take a copy of the past forms (DS230, DS156, etc) just in case. I also took a copy and the original of the DS160 that is the new form (with barcode) to replace the DS156K, but I wasn't asked for it. However, as you can see from Jen's post, she was asked for it, so it's best to take it with you. Heck, I even took a copy of the I-797 Notice of Petition approval, but was not asked for it.

I just checked, and I still have the sheet of paper they handed us after we got our number. This page, when in the consulate, says to put the following documents in order for when they call your name:

-passport(s)

-photos (with name printed on back)

-medical report

-police certificate

-evidence of support (employment letter, I-134, I-864, or most recent taxes)

-return envelope with your address

Then there is a note saying *if you previously sent any of these forms to NVS, they will be in your file.

So while we waited to be called up, we just made sure we had those things ready to hand over. It really was an easy to understand process with no confusion or stress. Plus, they have vending machines (takes Canadian money $1 for chips, $1.25 for pop), a water fountain, and nice bathrooms. So, it's a sterile office that looks like you're at the DMV, but the atmosphere is not stiff by any means. It was a comfortable and relaxing process.

Best of luck.

Cheryl and Richard - I wasn't asked for any of them at the interview, but I did take a copy of the past forms (DS230, DS156, etc) just in case. I also took a copy and the original of the DS160 that is the new form (with barcode) to replace the DS156K, but I wasn't asked for it. However, as you can see from Jen's post, she was asked for it, so it's best to take it with you. Heck, I even took a copy of the I-797 Notice of Petition approval, but was not asked for it.

I just checked, and I still have the sheet of paper they handed us after we got our number. This page, when in the consulate, says to put the following documents in order for when they call your name:

-passport(s)

-medical report

-police certificate

Then there is a note saying *if you previously sent any of these forms to NVS, they will be in your file.

So while we waited to be called up, we just made sure we had those things ready to hand over. It really was an easy to understand process with no confusion or stress. Plus, they have vending machines (takes Canadian money $1 for chips, $1.25 for pop), a water fountain, and nice bathrooms. So, it's a sterile office that looks like you're at the DMV, but the atmosphere is not stiff by any means. It was a comfortable and relaxing process.

Best of luck.

thanks jen, i definetly have that stuff and a little more, and ill try and make copies of everything so i have it just in case

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

-passport(s)

-medical report

-police certificate

Best of luck.

Chris,

Is there any way you could scan that sheet with the order of documents on it so we can post a copy on the Wiki?

Timeline

-passport(s)

-medical report

-police certificate

Best of luck.

Chris,

Is there any way you could scan that sheet with the order of documents on it so we can post a copy on the Wiki?

I know they took my sheet back, I wasn't able to keep it. I don't think people were able to keep then Trailmix, sorry!

~She's my Lion~
~He's my Puppy~

05/14/08 - NOA1
09/01/08 - NOA2
01/20/09 - Visa in Hand

AOS
6/2/09 - Biometrics at Raleigh field office - they were some of the nicest people :)
8/07/09 - Green Card interview at Raleigh Field office at 8:45am - Given RFE for I-693 Vaccination suppliment

Timeline

-passport(s)

-medical report

-police certificate

Best of luck.

Chris,

I know they took my sheet back, I wasn't able to keep it. I don't think people were able to keep then Trailmix, sorry!

np, it was just that Chris mentioned she still had hers?

Timeline
i just applied for my police clearance last monday. i went to rcmp in toronto and just ask for a police clearance for us immigration. and the officer took my picture and got my info and he said it will be ready in 5 working days. i will call tomorrow to check if they already have it and then il pick it up on monday.

can you please tell me the exact address? i'm planning to get also, is it the one in Kennedy and Sheppard?

it is in 15 toronto st. the nearest subway is King. here is there number.when u call, u get recording of the exact direction how to get there.416 363 9072

Timeline

-passport(s)

-medical report

-police certificate

Best of luck.

Chris,

np, it was just that Chris mentioned she still had hers?

Ah, I completely skipped over that sentence when i was reading! Sorry hun!

~She's my Lion~
~He's my Puppy~

05/14/08 - NOA1
09/01/08 - NOA2
01/20/09 - Visa in Hand

AOS

Timeline

:unsure:

And... of course... since I last posted, I have been doing packing and purging and preparing for the move... and after I posted the details of that letter I tossed it in the trash which is long gone done the garbage chute. Of course. Naturally. Cuz I just didn't need it anymore. Ooopsies?

Hopefully what I posted will be helpful on some level. But really, the interview letter you get states exactly what they want, and then you take that stuff to the interview and hand it over to them when they ask for each document.

Sorry I didn't think to keep it for posting, but since I don't have a scanner either I don't know how much good I could have been.

Okay, so now I feel like a tool. I'll just slink away now. :wacko:

Timeline
:unsure:

And... of course... since I last posted, I have been doing packing and purging and preparing for the move... and after I posted the details of that letter I tossed it in the trash which is long gone done the garbage chute. Of course. Naturally. Cuz I just didn't need it anymore. Ooopsies?

Hopefully what I posted will be helpful on some level. But really, the interview letter you get states exactly what they want, and then you take that stuff to the interview and hand it over to them when they ask for each document.

Sorry I didn't think to keep it for posting, but since I don't have a scanner either I don't know how much good I could have been.

Okay, so now I feel like a tool. I'll just slink away now. :wacko:

:lol:

no worries, the list is great! I will post it in the VJ wiki somewhere :)

it is in 15 toronto st. the nearest subway is King. here is there number.when u call, u get recording of the exact direction how to get there.416 363 9072

thanks alot

May 2000 - first time we met

June 2000 - started dating

Feb.16, 2008 - filed for K1

Feb. 25, 2008 -NOA1

July 26, 2008 -NOA2

July 31, 2008 - Package received ny NVC

Aug. 5, 2008 -Recieved by Montreal Consulate

Sept.12, 2008 -Packet 3 received

Sept.17, 2008 -Packet 3 sent

Dec. 12, 2008 -Packet 4 received

Feb 11, 2009 -interview

Feb 20, 2009 - K1 visa received

Feb 25, 2009 - US entry

March 18,2009- Wedding

AOS

April 9, 2009 - filed for application

April 15, 2009 - NOA received for I-1485,EAD, & AP

May 5, 2009 - Biometrics

May 26, 2009 - AP received

May 26, 2009 - card production ordered for EAD

June 5, 2009 - EAD received

July 7, 2009 - Interview appointment received

Aug 20, 2009 - Interview---approved

Sept 2, 2009 - Card recieved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.