SK&SP

K-1 people waiting for interviews at Montreal

3,179 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Called today and nothing, did notice on the timeline section that someone got their p4 yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I am happy for them and maysbe I don't know their situation but they recieved their NOA2 after I sent in my p3 and already have an interview??? Seriously?

Are you sure you they didn't mean they got their Packet 3? I guess they could've been expedited if they are military too.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Called today and nothing, did notice on the timeline section that someone got their p4 yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I am happy for them and maysbe I don't know their situation but they recieved their NOA2 after I sent in my p3 and already have an interview??? Seriously?

Are you sure you they didn't mean they got their Packet 3? I guess they could've been expedited if they are military too.

Nope, it was the p4, cause their date is June 22.

If u follow other peoples stats it will drive you bonkers!!!! There is no method or consistency unfortunately

People who filed a couple months after us got their NOA2 the same time as us...we waited long...but we only waited 3 weeks from filing P3, so really they are all over the place!

Just be excited that you move this summer!!!! :)

Edited by poprocks

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Timeline

If u follow other peoples stats it will drive you bonkers!!!! There is no method or consistency unfortunately

People who filed a couple months after us got their NOA2 the same time as us...we waited long...but we only waited 3 weeks from filing P3, so really they are all over the place!

I know but comparing to other people is the only way to get any idea of a timeline. The lack of consistency is bs, so is the lack of customer service. After 2 e-mails about the NOA2 valididty date I finally got an explanation which was

"Good afternoon

Your visa will not expire

Operator 4"

Ummm.... Firstly I wasn't asking questions about a visa I was asking about the petition, and secondly, Im glad to hear that there is no expiration date on the visa, previously I thought I had read somewhere that there was a restriction that you had 6 months to enter the US when you were granted the visa? And omg lack of proffessionalism when calling DoS, the first few times I called they asked for case number, beneficiary and petitioner's full names and DOB, but the last 2 times they have only asked for case number and then answered my questions about the case, not even asking who was calling. I wonder what other information they give out? I'm trying to stress less but really it isnt working, if anything I'm stressing more.

Edited by amberL

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know but comparing to other people is the only way to get any idea of a timeline. The lack of consistency is bs, so is the lack of customer service. After 2 e-mails about the NOA2 valididty date I finally got an explanation which was

"Good afternoon

Your visa will not expire

Operator 4"

Ummm.... Firstly I wasn't asking questions about a visa I was asking about the petition, and secondly, Im glad to hear that there is no expiration date on the visa, previously I thought I had read somewhere that there was a restriction that you had 6 months to enter the US when you were granted the visa? And omg lack of proffessionalism when calling DoS, the first few times I called they asked for case number, beneficiary and petitioner's full names and DOB, but the last 2 times they have only asked for case number and then answered my questions about the case, not even asking who was calling. I wonder what other information they give out? I'm trying to stress less but really it isnt working, if anything I'm stressing more.

Yes, the visa does expire.... you must use with within 6 months, that's correct

They must have been referring to your NOA2 does not expire, it does after 4 months and they automatically extend it

Edited by JillA

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Wow! What a day of posts! Just to clarify, I always call on Tuesdays for both myself and Kristin! :-)

And Amber, consider this: even though someone else got their P4 out of order, it means 'the pile' is being sorted again. All of us should get a P4 very soon. As for calling the DOS, I am with you 100%. I find them to be extremely rude on the phone and they like to hang up on you too after giving one words answers which are always "NO!" and "NOTHING YET!". This is what makes me wonder if they can see a call log of how many times we all call.

Kristin and her little girl are up in Toronto visiting right now. I'm going back with them on Sunday to the US to wait out the interview date!

Goodnight Everyone!

Wow! What a day of posts! Just to clarify, I always call on Tuesdays for both myself and Kristin! :-)

And Amber, consider this: even though someone else got their P4 out of order, it means 'the pile' is being sorted again. All of us should get a P4 very soon. As for calling the DOS, I am with you 100%. I find them to be extremely rude on the phone and they like to hang up on you too after giving one words answers which are always "NO!" and "NOTHING YET!". This is what makes me wonder if they can see a call log of how many times we all call.

Kristin and her little girl are up in Toronto visiting right now. I'm going back with them on Sunday to the US to wait out the interview date!

Goodnight Everyone!

Update re: new June 22 interview couple. I looked at the timelines this morning and saw how fast these people have been pushed through the system. It just goes to show that the requests made by the members on this thread for earlier interview dates were completely ignored and have no bearing on what actually happens... A completely unfair system

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Goodnight Everyone!

Update re: new June 22 interview couple. I looked at the timelines this morning and saw how fast these people have been pushed through the system. It just goes to show that the requests made by the members on this thread for earlier interview dates were completely ignored and have no bearing on what actually happens... A completely unfair system

Here's the thing... PopRocks sent in her P3 before we did, we both requested interviews prior to June 1 and we both found out the SAME day that we had interviews and ours was the DAY before hers. So, I would agree to some extent. I also believe that the more they get bugged, the more they ignore. I would either call or email about once every 6-7 business days (about 8-10 actual days).

We both got our dates after waiting about 2-3 weeks after returning the checklist. We sent ours on 3/2, received on 3/3, logged in their computers on 3/9, and received interview date on 3/27. Do I think we got lucky? Yes, I do. But, I also think SO much depends on how much paperwork is trying to be pushed through at the same time. Sapphire made a good observation in another thread about something similar to this. If you think about all of the paperwork that goes through Montreal, ALL of the CR-1s for Canada go through Montreal, 1/2 of the K1s, amongst other activities that are taken care of at the consulate, they can't possibly do everything at once. Plus, if you look at the timelines here on VJ, these are only the people who POST their timelines. The timeline does not include EVERYONE who is applying for the Visa. You figure that VJ people account for perhaps less than 10% of those who apply for Visas and those who actually post their timelines are about 1/2 of that 10%. So, foloowing the timelines on VJ is good, but they can also give you a false sense of security/insecurity. (You'll see my example of another couple who received their interview date WAY before us, later in this post.)

When I was at the waiting point, I was a basket case and truly couldn't understand why things took so long. Why can't they process one stupid folder of information? Why can't they just click a couple of buttons on their computer?? Come on, just use a calendar and write us in!! Now, that I've been through this, I've seen what all happens at the Consulate (which, BTW is MORE than I ever dreamed!!!), I can see why they only process a handful of interviews a day. People (Americans) were there b/c they had renewed their passport while there (one worker, for instance) and he had to travel for work the next day and the Passport had yet to return to him although it had been 6 weeks. Another couple was waiting to find out about the paperwork for their newborn baby. So much goes on... so many people come through there daily.

I know, it sounds easy for me to say b/c I'm done with the interview. But, as many people can attest, I was (and I'll totally admit this) probably one of the most anxious/nervous/anticipatory people on here. I was asking question after question, time after time, wanting to make sure I had the right info, wondering how long all this would take, and on and on.

So, for you to say, "It just goes to show that the requests made by the members on this thread for earlier interview dates were completely ignored and have no bearing on what actually happens... A completely unfair system." I don't think that is necessarily true. Is the system flawed? Probably. Is it unfair? Perhaps, but here's the thing. You don't know anything about the couple who have a June 22 interview. Perhaps there is something military involved. I don't know. There was a couple who had a date for MONTHS scheduled for April 23 or 24, and I was SOOOOO jealous of them. But, ironically, we had our interview BEFORE they had theirs, and we found out about our interview after they did. Our interview was April 16. So, unfortunately, trying to put logic into a system we don't totally understand, is fruitless. As frustrating as it might be, you have to have patience. Kind of like waiting for water to boil... you can't hurry it up any faster. You can turn the heat on as high as you want, but the water still has to hit 212* F for it to boil.

I'm sorry you don't think that your request (I'm assuming you made the request) for a quick date isn't being honored in your opinion. In the situation of PopRocks & me, we requested the beginning of June back at the beginning of March... so we requested something in the 3 month range, b/c we knew the process COULD be as long as 4-6 months. We were hoping for the shorter end of that.

Best of luck to you!!! :)

Edited by July09Bride

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

Goodnight Everyone!

Hello. I don't think there is anything special about us. We're just a couple in love who are trying their best to navigate through this bureaucratic process of immigration. Trust me, we have been very patient. Looking at the historical statistics here on VJ, it appears that the average time from NOA1 to Interview is 200+ days. If our June 22nd appt comes off without a hitch, then that would put us slightly past the average. It's interesting that people have taken such an extreme interest our timeline, however we only post our dates to help others, as we too have found the timeline function of this site helpful in gauging expectations. Please take comfort in knowing that someday, hopefully in the not too distant future, you too will receive an interview date.

Why do we have an interview date and others don't? I don't know. But I can say that my fiancee is very cute.......so perhaps that played a factor. ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's the same as trying to figure out AOS timelines, you can't.... I was approved for AOS faster than most, without an interview. One girl I know sent her AOS in September, mine almost 3 months later. I got my GC already, while she's still waiting. It may not seem fair, but that's USCIS for ya!!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

As someone who had a very long timeline, definitely above the average for Canada anyway, I don't think this process is unfair at all.

VJ is probably only about 5% of the applications that go through the system - so thousands and thousands of files go through Vermont and Montreal all the time. That is why there are discrepancies. Seeing that the process is completely paper, how can they exactly process everything is exact order? They can't! Some people get stuck with a slow adjudicator, some people have a very organized and straight forward file and get a fast adjudicator. Maybe an adjucator goes on Vacation and you get stuck in that pile. It's all a crapshoot.

In terms of getting interviews, they are probably starting to set the interviews for June right now. I remember back when I got mine, Travis and Kim got theirs for April soon after I got mine for March... then just a couple weeks before April, Poprocks, JulyBride and others got theirs for April too.. who knows why that happened.

I sent back my Packet 3 in mid-November and didn't call once until February. It was the best thing I ever did. I just let nature take its course. The first time I called, I had it. I waited 3 months, when others who sent theirs back in January got their interview right around me. I know for a fact my file was straight forward.

But honestly, at the end of the day the more that you obsess over it, the longer it's going to feel. I understand that people just want to get on with their lives... but if they are saying it's going to take 2-3 months, then plan for 2-3. That's what I did! They told me 4-6 months. I just said, you know what I'm going to just go on with my life and when it happens it happens. My fiance even said, it's bound to happen so don't worry about what you can't control.

Anyways, I know its easy for me to say now that it's over for me, but I will say that I practiced what I preached and it was the best thing i ever did. I did get frustrated and annoyed, but I tried not to because I remember how much worse it made things.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Goodnight Everyone!

Hello. I don't think there is anything special about us. We're just a couple in love who are trying their best to navigate through this bureaucratic process of immigration. Trust me, we have been very patient. Looking at the historical statistics here on VJ, it appears that the average time from NOA1 to Interview is 200+ days. If our June 22nd appt comes off without a hitch, then that would put us slightly past the average. It's interesting that people have taken such an extreme interest our timeline, however we only post our dates to help others, as we too have found the timeline function of this site helpful in gauging expectations. Please take comfort in knowing that someday, hopefully in the not too distant future, you too will receive an interview date.

Why do we have an interview date and others don't? I don't know. But I can say that my fiancee is very cute.......so perhaps that played a factor. ;)

:rofl:

N-400 Citizenship

Timeline

Im not really sure how anyone can say that the whole process is not unfair. When initially filled there was some concern that my SO might get deployed for 9 months with the National Guard. We looked into it and the National Guard is the only part of the US Military that is not considered active duty, and thus not eligible for military expedite. Thank god he didn't end up getting deployed because I'd be more of a wreck but it wouldn't have mattered anyways.

Also I am wondering why MTL is much slower at scheduling than Vancouver, and if they ever transfer any cases there since they are taking on average half the amount of time as MTL. I haven't asked for the earliest date possible and I only call once a week and have been trying to determine what I should do since my lease runs out soon (which is still 11 months after my initial filling- I had estimated to be ready to move way before this) and I am coming close to 3 months since my case arrived at MTL. So I did plan for 2-3 months but as the time is passing i'm getting concerned. I haven't asked for an earlier date, or the earliest available date or anything, I could care less when the actual date is as long as I can move before my lease runs out and don't have to find another place until then.

I imagine everyone who is waiting or has waited before does just want to get this over with and feels like their life has been put on hold because of this. I sure do. I'm trying not to feel like that but now that I am done school I'm kinda like umm what do I do now, I didn't look for anything here in my field because I'll be moving soon but now I wish I did cause now I'm bored as hell at the same job I've had the whole time while I've been at Universtity. Many things have been stressing me out this past month and I know this has been reflected in my posts, I wish I wasnt 900 miles away from my SO, if he lived in Michigan or Ohio or NY or something it would be a whole lot easier cause I'd see him more... about the only good thing that has happened this month (my mother didnt even call me or send me a card for my 25th birthday which is really still upsetting me esp after I had flowers sent to her for mother's day )is I bought a pair of jean from the mall and tried them on again at home and felt something in the pocket which ended up to be a $5 bill... I have no idea how that ended up in there but heh I'm $5 richer! On the plus side I do have a volunteer job in my field that I am supposed to start Sept 12 in SC. And I do appreciate all of you who do have a visa already trying to make us feel better but after about 250 days since mailing the initial petition, my nerves are wearing thin. I am really happy for the couple who got the June 22 date because there is one less couple out there that has to wait, I just hope that this week when I call it will be my turn, afterall my SO is super cute too! ESP. his nose.

(Originally I had planned to never call and just wait for the letter but since my first p3 never arrived I dont want to risk the interview letter succombing to the same fate)

Montreal is a busier Consulate. They process all the CR-1 visas and sometimes west coast folks have to fly to MTL for interviews...but u will never see an East Coaster go to Van.

MTL does not do K1 visas every month...some months it will seem like no interviews are posted at all.

Problem is that once you have it in your head, mentally you become 'signed out' and frustrated.

It's all in how you look at it. You can enjoy your last few months in Canada and let the process take it's course, or you can make yourself sick over it...which likely makes the wait even worse. Either way, it doesn't change how the process will play out.

It's the Gov...and they really don't care about the emotional part or wedding plans. They clearly tell you to not make any plans for your move or wedding until after you get your visa.

Even in the interview, when they hand you a paper after you've been approved, it says 'good luck on starting to plan your wedding' unfortunately the system is not sensitive to our 'personal lives'

Easier said 'after the fact' however, it is a privilege to be granted access to the Country and not a right.

When we first started this thread, it was a happy and hopeful place, it's getting depressing in here LOL!

We VJ'rs who already have visas contribute to this thread as an effort to help in interview preparation. I for one was thankful for the advise I would get from them.

Being positive changes everything....the weather is nice...life is good, and if you can't change it, roll with it.

Sorry, but my two cents. This thread had become 'the vent' LOL!

I can confidentally say that all you folks have the great fortune and ability to be living in the US by summers end...how great is that?

Edited by poprocks

N-400 Citizenship

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Montreal is a busier Consulate. They process all the CR-1 visas and sometimes west coast folks have to fly to MTL for interviews...but u will never see an East Coaster go to Van.

MTL does not do K1 visas every month...some months it will seem like no interviews are posted at all.

Problem is that once you have it in your head, mentally you become 'signed out' and frustrated.

It's all in how you look at it. You can enjoy your last few months in Canada and let the process take it's course, or you can make yourself sick over it...which likely makes the wait even worse. Either way, it doesn't change how the process will play out.

It's the Gov...and they really don't care about the emotional part or wedding plans. They clearly tell you to not make any plans for your move or wedding until after you get your visa.

Even in the interview, when they hand you a paper after you've been approved, it says 'good luck on starting to plan your wedding' unfortunately the system is not sensitive to our 'personal lives'

Easier said 'after the fact' however, it is a privilege to be granted access to the Country and not a right.

When we first started this thread, it was a happy and hopeful place, it's getting depressing in here LOL!

We VJ'rs who already have visas contribute to this thread as an effort to help in interview preparation. I for one was thankful for the advise I would get from them.

Being positive changes everything....the weather is nice...life is good, and if you can't change it, roll with it.

Sorry, but my two cents. This thread had become 'the vent' LOL!

I can confidentally say that all you folks have the great fortune and ability to be living in the US by summers end...how great is that?

I agree a 100%....some of us just really focus on the timeframe too much...yes it takes time...but what can we do? I cannot wait to be with my SO permanently and finally have the family life we want so much...my oldest daughter misses her daddy so much that it makes me cry sometimes....

There's just nothing we can do! I for one enjoy the rest of my time here to spend with family and friends, because it will be very hard for me to leave Montreal. Somewhere in the back of my head I hope that Dex will change his mind and come live here instead! LOLOL That's not happening! LOL

It is soooo true that obessing over this process will make things worst and more dreadful. Besides, don't forget that once we cross we have all the AOS to deal with...getting SSN, driver's license, A JOB!!!! And I'm sure that I won't be the only one to get homesick... I'm really appreciating my time left here...we figure that I'll be able to move in August...the 15th is the day we are aiming for, but we'll see. Until that date, I want to make sure that I see as many people that I can and do as much as I can. My kids miss their dad, I miss my lover and best friend, but all we can do is live life one day at a time and wait for our turn!

129F

14 Oct 2008 --- I-129F sent to VSC

17 Oct 2008 ---- NOA1 (rec'd Oct.23rd)

17 Mar 2009 ---- NOA2 151days (rec'd Mar.21st)

31 Jul 2009 ---- Interview - APPROVED!! (visa rec'd Aug.5th)

16 Aug 2009 ---- BIG MOVE!!!! So many conflicting emotions!

21 Aug 2009 --- marriage - civil ceremony

AOS, EAD, AP

13 Oct 2009 --- sent to Chicago Lockbox

18 Nov 2009 -- Bio app. for AOS and EAD (Rec'd Nov. 2nd)

18 Dec 2009 --- AP and EAD APPROVED!!!! (AP rec'd Dec. 29th; EAD rec'd Dec. 31st)

15 Jan 2010 --- AOS transfered to CSC!!

19 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

22 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

25 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

17 June 2010 ---AOS touched

18 June 2010 ---AOS touched

10 July 2010 --- AOS touched

12 July 2010 --- Letter to welcome new permanent resident and card ordered

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.