asura

1 year extension letter gonna expires in 1 month! What should I do?

8 posts in this topic

As topic. I've filed for my petition to remove my conditions on residence and got the extension for a year letter on Dec 4, 2007. My extension is only good for another month and I still hear nothing from USCIS after I went for my biometrics appointment on Feb 08.

At the meantime I'm applying for going back to school and the school just sent me email to show them my green card. I am so anxious since my green card is already expires and my extension letter is only good for another month.

What should I do now? I heard I can make an appointment for the local USCIS office to have my passpart stamp but I don't know what is the process. Can I just drop in the local office ( but I'm sure I can't!!!! because the guard is asking for appointment letter everytime I went there )? Or if I need to make appointment how can I do it?!

I need help pls!

August 2, 2004: I-129F mailed

November 23, 2004 Received Packet from US Consulate HK

December 04, 2004 Request for police report and report sent to US Consulate on 27 December 2004

December 18, 2004 Body check and get result on 7 Jan 2005

January 15, 2005 Sent back the package to US consulate and requested for to schedule for interview

1 February 2005 Interview and approved at the same day YES

March 30, 2005 Fly to US

June 22, 2005 Wedding <3

August 22, 2005 mailed my I-485, I-765

Oct 24, 2005 AOS Interview, doing my biometric and Fingerprint at the same day after interview

Nov 9, 2005 Receieved my EA card

Feb 2006 Receieved my 2 years conditional resident card

Nov 2007 filed for I-751 to remove conditional resident

Dec 8 2007 Conditional resident status extended for 1 year

Dec 22 2007 ASC appointment on Jan 14 08

Oct 3 2008 Evidence documents request letter received

Dec 17 2008 Request for removal of conditional permanent resident status approved!

you need to make an infopass to go to USCIS office http://infopass.uscis.gov/

explain your situation and ask for passport stamp

Edited by cookiee

animated_us_flag.gifN-400 Naturalization

03/23/09 Sent N-400 to Lewisville, Texas by UPS

03/25/09 delivered

03/30/09 check cashed

03/31/09 NOA

04/03/09 Touched

04/24/09 Biometrics

07/18/09 Interview letter received

08/19/09 Interview -*APPROVED*

08/27/09 Oath date -** US CITIZEN **

09/01/09 Applied for passport

09/14/09 Passport Received !!!

you need to make an infopass to go to USCIS office http://infopass.uscis.gov/

explain your situation and ask for passport stamp

Infopass requested! Thanks!

August 2, 2004: I-129F mailed

November 23, 2004 Received Packet from US Consulate HK

December 04, 2004 Request for police report and report sent to US Consulate on 27 December 2004

December 18, 2004 Body check and get result on 7 Jan 2005

January 15, 2005 Sent back the package to US consulate and requested for to schedule for interview

1 February 2005 Interview and approved at the same day YES

March 30, 2005 Fly to US

June 22, 2005 Wedding <3

August 22, 2005 mailed my I-485, I-765

Oct 24, 2005 AOS Interview, doing my biometric and Fingerprint at the same day after interview

Nov 9, 2005 Receieved my EA card

Feb 2006 Receieved my 2 years conditional resident card

Nov 2007 filed for I-751 to remove conditional resident

Dec 8 2007 Conditional resident status extended for 1 year

Dec 22 2007 ASC appointment on Jan 14 08

Oct 3 2008 Evidence documents request letter received

Dec 17 2008 Request for removal of conditional permanent resident status approved!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
As topic. I've filed for my petition to remove my conditions on residence and got the extension for a year letter on Dec 4, 2007. My extension is only good for another month and I still hear nothing from USCIS after I went for my biometrics appointment on Feb 08.

At the meantime I'm applying for going back to school and the school just sent me email to show them my green card. I am so anxious since my green card is already expires and my extension letter is only good for another month.

What should I do now? I heard I can make an appointment for the local USCIS office to have my passpart stamp but I don't know what is the process. Can I just drop in the local office ( but I'm sure I can't!!!! because the guard is asking for appointment letter everytime I went there )? Or if I need to make appointment how can I do it?!

I need help pls!

It's my understanding the NOA extends your Green Card for a year. It's not a year from the date on the letter. It was something that confused me as well. We were blessed not to have to find out, because the 10 year card came before even the letter date...Maybe someone here will confirm what I was told.

Good luck..I hope your card come before you have to worry about it :unsure:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The NOA extension letter extends the status of the green card for one year. For example, if your green card expires in May and you filed for I-751 in February and received the Extension Letter in March, your green card status doesn't expire the following March but expires a year after your green card expires - the following May. If your extended greencard is about to expire or has expired you can obtain proof that you are still a permanent resident by getting the I-551 stamp placed in your unexpired passport, or on an I-94 form that is placed in your expired passport. The I-551 stamp is valid usually for another year, although some offices only extend the status for 6 months. It has an expiry date that is based on the date you get the stamp and not on your green card.

You make an Infopass appointment by going to the www.uscis.gov website, clicking on 'schedule an appointment' on the far right and you can select 'did not receive green card' as a category. There are several options for categories so if you get 'no appointments available' try using a different category. You should be provided with a series of options for dates or at least one date for an infopass. I printed out my confirmation letter but didn't need it. Bring your greencard, your NOA and your unexpired passport. If your passport is expired then bring 2 passport sized photographs and your expired passport. They will check your status using your A number or your case number, stamp your passport with the I-551 stamp, and you are good to go.

My experience was probably the easiest experience I have ever had dealing with USCIS or the Consulates.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I need help pls!

Hi , Iam new here in this website , and i have couple questions , i got divorced last month from my wife , and my 2 years green card will expire on February 2009 , i dont know if i can hire lawyer or file just by my self , we have house loan together and car , tax , bills , trips , , anyone can help me please i will appreciate that , thanks. :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kazakhstan
Timeline

I need help pls!

Hi , Iam new here in this website , and i have couple questions , i got divorced last month from my wife , and my 2 years green card will expire on February 2009 , i dont know if i can hire lawyer or file just by my self , we have house loan together and car , tax , bills , trips , , anyone can help me please i will appreciate that , thanks. :thumbs:

may be a moderator has overlooked but you have already asked (copy / paste) that question in the other thread here and response has been posted there already.

2004: I-485 Filed

2005: Interview & Conditional GC recv'd

05/2007: I-751 sent to TSC

06/2007: FP completed

05/25/2008: Recv'd letter that interview for 05/08 is being cancelled though I never recv'd a letter that interview was scheduled

06/2008: Cond'l GC 1yr extension expires 07/08, via info pass received a stamp in passport for another year

07/2008: recv'd interview notice for beginning of Aug

08/06/2008: I-751 interview and GC Apprv'l

08/20/2008: Physical GC Recv'd

05/2012: Eligible For Citizenship

Im not a lawyer (yet), so consider my posts accordingly...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I just want to give my experience about the I-751. My GC expired on February 19th 2008.

On the December 13th 2007, I received the NOA with 1 year extension confirmed on it. On February 05th 2008, I have done my fingerprints.

When I went to DMV last February to renew my driver'S license, they only renewed it until December 13th 2008. I asked them why they don't extend it for 1 year from the date on my GC. But they insisted on the fact that the NOA date is the starting date which I think is not really logic. Anyway...

So now, my driver's license is expiring in 1 month and based on what the DMV said, the extension of my GC will also be expired in 1 month. And based on the Vermont Service Center processing times, they are working on the files from November 25th 2007

I took an appointment via Infopass for November 14th 2008 and will ask them about the 1 year extension and what I should do.

Maelys

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.