Gypsyangel

Homesick

149 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone...first of all, i am new to VJ and after reading this thread i am so glad i joined. The fear of being 'the last call' has been weighing on my mind since i decided to make the big move and it is something that i talk to my fiance about all the time. I am the first person in my group of friends to make a big move like this and i feel like they have already begun to consider me their 'last call'. Whenever they talk about trips for the future and i inquire about dates, they always respond with "you're not going to be here anyways, so you don't need to worry about it". My friends can not possibly understand how isolating this whole experience can be for those of us going through it.

Our Journey to Happiness :)

Oct 30, 2002 - We met in Toronto while he was visiting on a business trip from the US

Dated until early 2004 and then distance became an issue

Sept 16, 2007 - He initiated contact with me after almost 4 years!

Jan 2008 - He came to Toronto to visit and see if there was still 'something' there

Feb 28, 2009 - He proposed in front of my family in our condo in Toronto!!!

May 13, 2009 - sent in I-129F (Lawyer is handling our process)

May 15, 2009 - received receipt of NOA1

September 16, 2009 - NOA2!!!

Nov 4/09 - sent packet 3

Nov 25/09 - info logged in system

Interview date - March 22, 2010!!! ***APPROVED!!!***

POE @ Queenston/Lewiston - April 4th, 2010

Wedding date - July 17, 2010

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Thats the kind of stuff, Mar, that really hurts....

tell me about it...

I remember going off on my SIL to my mom on the phone... I found out later that my SIL was there in the room :o... not sure why my mom didn't say anything...

I can't remember if my Sil emailed me or I think maybe my dad said that she had been really upset about my phone call with my mom..... I felt a little bad that she had to hear that but I felt a little justified too.. what she did was really wrong.. if it had been me and I knew that someone she cared about died and I was the only one who could get a hold of her I would have tried everything in my power to get that info to her...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline
Hi everyone...first of all, i am new to VJ and after reading this thread i am so glad i joined.

Welcome to VJ, Toronto Nonie. :) Immigrating away from your friends and your family is a very hard thing to do. It's nice to come here to share with others who know exactly what you are going through. I'm glad you found us.

iagree.gif

Hi everyone...first of all, i am new to VJ and after reading this thread i am so glad i joined. The fear of being 'the last call' has been weighing on my mind since i decided to make the big move and it is something that i talk to my fiance about all the time. I am the first person in my group of friends to make a big move like this and i feel like they have already begun to consider me their 'last call'. Whenever they talk about trips for the future and i inquire about dates, they always respond with "you're not going to be here anyways, so you don't need to worry about it". My friends can not possibly understand how isolating this whole experience can be for those of us going through it.

Glad you found us nonie! Let us know a little more about yourself! Welcome to the Canada Forum! :)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There is something to be said for familiarity. After living over a year now in Florida, this place is still unfamiliar. I think I used to be much more easy going about moving, well I know I was - it was kind of like, oh i'll be in a different country by tomorrow - well that's all good.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I seem to really fluctuate. Different experiences play on it for me. Some weeks I feel like I'm getting used to it, and then something happens to me here that I don't like and I want to go home. haha

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
I seem to really fluctuate. Different experiences play on it for me. Some weeks I feel like I'm getting used to it, and then something happens to me here that I don't like and I want to go home. haha

I hear you on that one Amanda. That happens to me all the time.

Timeline

I'm at the 1.5 yr mark - today I feel like I want to make a run for it.

in reality, home isn't really 'home' anymore either - kind of in limbo for a bit I guess

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

I'm at the 1.5 yr mark - today I feel like I want to make a run for it.

in reality, home isn't really 'home' anymore either - kind of in limbo for a bit I guess

Yeah, I know what you mean. I feel like that sometimes also. I used to work with a lady who constantly talked about moving back to England. So, finally, one day she did. She was back within two years. While she was there she discovered that Canada felt more like home to her than England did. My Mum talked for years about how homesick she was, and moving back to England. Sometimes she cried. It was heartbreaking. Anyway, it all passed. She is still in Canada and visits England once a year. She's in a happy place now.

"Make a run for it." :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

Speaking of homesickness - I mean - what do you do with it? How do you make yourself feel better, cheer yourself up? Wallowing in it doesn't really seem to help, I personally just try to brush it aside and think about other stuff or do something to keep busy - which helps - kind of.

Timeline
Speaking of homesickness - I mean - what do you do with it? How do you make yourself feel better, cheer yourself up? Wallowing in it doesn't really seem to help, I personally just try to brush it aside and think about other stuff or do something to keep busy - which helps - kind of.

wallow wallow wallow :lol:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

I will take precise notes the next time I'm homesick and let you know. LOL

I think sometimes I wallow and sometimes I bury the emotion.

iagree.gif

Timeline

If I hadn't met Jared and moved here, I would have eventually moved to England myself. Lots of friends and family there and I love it there.

And I probably would have been homesick.

I'm eating a cadbury flake and wondering where life would have taken me... :lol:

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.