Gypsyangel

Homesick

149 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks for the welcome Krikit and Carlawarla :) I currently live in Toronto and will be moving to Connecticut to be with my guy as soon as this whole process is completed. We've known each other since 2002 and were separated for about 4 years before he came back to find me. We met at a basketball game in Toronto (he works in sports entertainment in the US) and we both share a deep love for the game of basketball! My story is that he saved my life...when he came back to find me, i had actually just gotten out of a terrible terrible marriage...i married for all the wrong reasons, the biggest reason was because i was stupid :( i had given up on finding 'the one' and he showed me the possibility of a life full of love and happiness. Unfortunately, my friends are not happy with the fact that i'm moving and have already started to distance themselves from me, which is what led me to this forum. I just can't wait for this process to be over so that i can start over with my soul mate in CT :D

CT hooray!!! i'm in CT!!! YEAH!!! (though guessing from your soon to be hubby's profession you are closer to the city than i :) but yeah!! :dance:

:dance: That's awesome!! where about in CT?? I'm moving to Farmington (central CT). How long have you been there and please tell me about anything cool that i need to know about CT :P Great to meet you Emancipation :D

Our Journey to Happiness :)

Oct 30, 2002 - We met in Toronto while he was visiting on a business trip from the US

Dated until early 2004 and then distance became an issue

Sept 16, 2007 - He initiated contact with me after almost 4 years!

Jan 2008 - He came to Toronto to visit and see if there was still 'something' there

Feb 28, 2009 - He proposed in front of my family in our condo in Toronto!!!

May 13, 2009 - sent in I-129F (Lawyer is handling our process)

May 15, 2009 - received receipt of NOA1

September 16, 2009 - NOA2!!!

Nov 4/09 - sent packet 3

Nov 25/09 - info logged in system

Interview date - March 22, 2010!!! ***APPROVED!!!***

POE @ Queenston/Lewiston - April 4th, 2010

Wedding date - July 17, 2010

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
:dance: That's awesome!! where about in CT?? I'm moving to Farmington (central CT). How long have you been there and please tell me about anything cool that i need to know about CT :P Great to meet you Emancipation :D

Are you serious? Well.. Farmington is a sweet town! Love it!!!

THIS is the super part of Farmington :) tee hee.. love this trail, love the river.. saweeet!!!

http://www.fvgreenway.org/

I'm actually down in New Haven, so I'm a piece away, but lived in Waterbury for a spell, so I'm familiar with your neck of the woods.. hartford is going to be your stomping grounds, so check out Trader Joe's at:

1489 New Britain Ave

West Hartford, CT 06110

The biometric location is super close to you in East Hartford, they just moved the facility out of the downtown, so it has a great easy exit and it's super..

Hopefully we can meet up at some point!! There is one other CDN nutmegger, but I haven't heard or seen her for a while (she's closer to Danbury) :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

The purpose of VJ - helping canadians meet their formerly-canadian neighbours in the US - this is awesome guys. this is the reason i'm glad I found VJ because even though it's just a forum - it's homey in it's own way

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Homesick, Sometimes it's the little things that getchya!

It's been since November 2008 since I left Canada to Work in the US (I am a USC). I have a wife and 3 kids. we have always been extremely active in sports, dance, school, etc. Always busy! I leave my wife and kids in Canada knowing this will be a long tough road to go down. I fly back to see my wife and kids every couple months. As I sit and type this out I realize how much I miss being busy. I work, go home, sleep. I am alone here. My last surprise visit back to Canada was this past weekend and it was great. I watched my youngest (3) at soccer, My oldest (10) sing the National anthem for the AAA Baseball I used to play for, and my son (8) play more hockey. We went home after a busy Saturday was going to have a family night watching Wings & Pens on the big screen. Well plans changed as word got out and 40 friends and family members decided to show up. Few cases of beers, hauling the Big Screen out on the back deck and shooting the breeze till the wee hours of the night. It was great! next day drove to the airport and while waiting for my flight I broke down and almost did not get on. It was soo nice to see the family & friends again and have missed every little thing that I love about Canada. I had called my wife from the airport and told her I coming back, she convinced me that we have gone so far with this to try for a little longer. And once again I sit here alone.

----------

Petition for Wife and our 3 kids. IR1 & IR2s

NVC Journey

April 22nd, 2009 - Received NVC Packages for all 4 Petition w/Case Numbers

April 22nd, 2009 - DS-3032 and AOS bill received in package

April 24th, 2009 - DS-3032 sent via email

April 24th, 2009 - AOS bill paid online

May 2009 - DS-3032 accepted

May 2009 - IV Fee Generated

May 26th, 2009 - Paid IV Fee Online

May 27th, 2009 - Shows Paid

May 28th, 2009 - IV Package Sent

June 1st, 2009 - Shows Delivered

June 15th, 2009 - Received RFE? for not submitting AOS

June 18th, 2009 - AOS Package sent

June 22nd, 2009 - Delivered 11:42 am, PORTSMOUTH, NH 03801

June 22nd, 2009 - Request for expedite submitted

June 24th, 2009 - Checklist received (AOS package)

July 7th, 2009 - Wife's Case Complete

July 7th, 2009 - RFE for kids cases

July 7th, 2009 - Overnight 864w to NVC for kids cases

July 10th, 2009 - Received package

July 14th, 2009 - NVC automated system show checklist letter received for kids cases

July 21st, 2009 - as per NVC request second email sent requesting expedite of interview

July 24st, 2009 - NVC cases show complete

November 23rd, 2009 - Medicals in Toronto

November 26th, 2009 - Medical packages received

November 2nd, 2009 - Interviews are scheduled for 12/18/2009

December 18th, 2009 - Approved and Visas in Hand

December 21st, 2009 - POE... Windsor/Detroit

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Are you serious? Well.. Farmington is a sweet town! Love it!!!

THIS is the super part of Farmington :) tee hee.. love this trail, love the river.. saweeet!!!

http://www.fvgreenway.org/

I'm actually down in New Haven, so I'm a piece away, but lived in Waterbury for a spell, so I'm familiar with your neck of the woods.. hartford is going to be your stomping grounds, so check out Trader Joe's at:

1489 New Britain Ave

West Hartford, CT 06110

The biometric location is super close to you in East Hartford, they just moved the facility out of the downtown, so it has a great easy exit and it's super..

Hopefully we can meet up at some point!! There is one other CDN nutmegger, but I haven't heard or seen her for a while (she's closer to Danbury) :)

You and my fiance must be on the same wavelength...he just bought a bike to ride those trails and is going to be getting me one as soon as i move down (we are both very active people :) )! Fortunately, i have had the pleasure of visiting CT since April of last year and i am in love with West Hartford and Blue Back Square area...BUT my fave place in New Haven is Pepe's pizza! We have done a bit of house hunting and have fallen in love with Avon and Glastonbury (i think that's what it's called). Thanks for the tips and i would love to be able to meet up at some point in time...i will probably not be back down in CT until US thanksgiving...this is awesome :dance:

Our Journey to Happiness :)

Oct 30, 2002 - We met in Toronto while he was visiting on a business trip from the US

Dated until early 2004 and then distance became an issue

Sept 16, 2007 - He initiated contact with me after almost 4 years!

Jan 2008 - He came to Toronto to visit and see if there was still 'something' there

Feb 28, 2009 - He proposed in front of my family in our condo in Toronto!!!

May 13, 2009 - sent in I-129F (Lawyer is handling our process)

May 15, 2009 - received receipt of NOA1

September 16, 2009 - NOA2!!!

Nov 4/09 - sent packet 3

Nov 25/09 - info logged in system

Interview date - March 22, 2010!!! ***APPROVED!!!***

POE @ Queenston/Lewiston - April 4th, 2010

Wedding date - July 17, 2010

Timeline

It's been since November 2008 since I left Canada to Work in the US (I am a USC). I have a wife and 3 kids. we have always been extremely active in sports, dance, school, etc. Always busy! I leave my wife and kids in Canada knowing this will be a long tough road to go down. I fly back to see my wife and kids every couple months. As I sit and type this out I realize how much I miss being busy. I work, go home, sleep. I am alone here. My last surprise visit back to Canada was this past weekend and it was great. I watched my youngest (3) at soccer, My oldest (10) sing the National anthem for the AAA Baseball I used to play for, and my son (8) play more hockey. We went home after a busy Saturday was going to have a family night watching Wings & Pens on the big screen. Well plans changed as word got out and 40 friends and family members decided to show up. Few cases of beers, hauling the Big Screen out on the back deck and shooting the breeze till the wee hours of the night. It was great! next day drove to the airport and while waiting for my flight I broke down and almost did not get on. It was soo nice to see the family & friends again and have missed every little thing that I love about Canada. I had called my wife from the airport and told her I coming back, she convinced me that we have gone so far with this to try for a little longer. And once again I sit here alone.

Aww that's too bad ek - that must be really tough for you!

Can I ask, why are you moving back to the U.S. - sounds like you are really comfortable as a family in Canada - actually, just looked at your timeline and see that you have moved for a job opportunity.

Anyway, hopefully your application will soon be on its way out of NVC and on to the consulate!

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
You and my fiance must be on the same wavelength...he just bought a bike to ride those trails and is going to be getting me one as soon as i move down (we are both very active people :) )! Fortunately, i have had the pleasure of visiting CT since April of last year and i am in love with West Hartford and Blue Back Square area...BUT my fave place in New Haven is Pepe's pizza! We have done a bit of house hunting and have fallen in love with Avon and Glastonbury (i think that's what it's called). Thanks for the tips and i would love to be able to meet up at some point in time...i will probably not be back down in CT until US thanksgiving...this is awesome :dance:

Excellent... I'm pm'ing you our blog address - we hike almost every weekend, so it might give you guys some ideas as to where to hike/bike next :) AND we'd love to get out and do something with you guys when you get here! :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Timeline

Awwwwwwwww. That just sounds so typical for a Canadian family, EK. You just made me smile. My family is grown, now, so I just have those memories. But one of my best friends in Canada has a life like that.... kids in all kinds of sports and her husband coaching. I always go watch them play when I'm there. It's a wonderful atmosphere.

Won't be long, now, before you'll be preparing for their arrival, EK. Hang in there.

iagree.gif

Timeline

Awwwwwwwww. That just sounds so typical for a Canadian family, EK. You just made me smile. My family is grown, now, so I just have those memories. But one of my best friends in Canada has a life like that.... kids in all kinds of sports and her husband coaching. I always go watch them play when I'm there. It's a wonderful atmosphere.

Won't be long, now, before you'll be preparing for their arrival, EK. Hang in there.

Ek, you described my childhood exactly. We were huge into sports, and I also was very involved in the arts. We were constantly on the go and my parents really loved being involved in that way. My dad coached me for a few years in ringette and soccer when I was younger before I got competitive.

It must be so hard to have your entire family in Canada and you alone in the US. I hope everything moves smoothly for you. I'm sur ethey miss you so much.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

A couple nights ago, my dad called me up and told me he was not going to be able to visit me this month, like he had been planning on doing. I haven't seen most of my family in Canada in 1 1/2 years, since I moved down here...my mother and youngest sister I haven't seen now in two years since I moved out.

I was strong and reassuring to my dad on the phone, telling him it was ok, I understand (he has his own business and things have gotten crazy there, so he's up to his neck in work and has also taken a blow from the bad economy so money also wasn't allowing,) but as soon as I hung up, I cried for a good two hours while my husband tried to console me.

It's amazing how much your family can annoy you and drive you crazy while you're around them, but as soon as you move to another country, all that changes. I've come to treasure my relationship with my dad more than anything in this world, since he pretty much raised us girls all on his own, and I just feel like I'll never be able to show him how grateful I am with me being down here. To make matters worse, I had booked a cruise for my husband and I about a week prior to him telling me he couldn't come visit. I thought it was a nice idea for us to get away together since we never had a honeymoon, but now I feel awful because if I had known my dad wasn't coming, we would have used that money to visit him instead.

We're hoping to be able to visit them up there around Christmas time. My husband has never even met my sisters or my mother, so I think a nice little vacation up there is definitely overdue.

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline
A couple nights ago, my dad called me up and told me he was not going to be able to visit me this month, like he had been planning on doing. I haven't seen most of my family in Canada in 1 1/2 years, since I moved down here...my mother and youngest sister I haven't seen now in two years since I moved out.

I was strong and reassuring to my dad on the phone, telling him it was ok, I understand (he has his own business and things have gotten crazy there, so he's up to his neck in work and has also taken a blow from the bad economy so money also wasn't allowing,) but as soon as I hung up, I cried for a good two hours while my husband tried to console me.

It's amazing how much your family can annoy you and drive you crazy while you're around them, but as soon as you move to another country, all that changes. I've come to treasure my relationship with my dad more than anything in this world, since he pretty much raised us girls all on his own, and I just feel like I'll never be able to show him how grateful I am with me being down here. To make matters worse, I had booked a cruise for my husband and I about a week prior to him telling me he couldn't come visit. I thought it was a nice idea for us to get away together since we never had a honeymoon, but now I feel awful because if I had known my dad wasn't coming, we would have used that money to visit him instead.

We're hoping to be able to visit them up there around Christmas time. My husband has never even met my sisters or my mother, so I think a nice little vacation up there is definitely overdue.

Ahh Misty - how disappointing for you. You do deserve a nice vacation though and of course it's hard to decide whether you should spend all your vacations going back to Canada or having a 'real' vacation. That sucks

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Thats an interesting point you bring up, Udella. I often feel like I save up my vacation days just so that I can go home. While I know Jared understands, it must bother him a bit some times. I'm jetting home again in a few weekends for that Nexus stuff. It's always a back and forth thing that we all do.

Misty-Sorry to hear about that. As someone who is also very close to their father, I know I've been SO disappointed before when he has not been able to visit. I feel completely empty at times and just want to have a chat and a cup of tea with my mum and dad for example. It's not really possible most of thet ime though is it.

Enjoy your cruise with the hubbie and know Canada and family will be there for you when you get back.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

I'm sorry your Dad wasn't able to come down Misty. I'm so glad your husband was there to hold you when you cried. I think for many of us that is so hard to reconcile. Going back for visits with family, and enjoying vacation time without family. It's such a HARD decision, and leaves us feeling guilty.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Timeline

I'm so sorry for your pain, Misty. (F) (F) (F) (F) (F)

Enjoy your cruise. Everyone deserves a honeymoon. Don't have regrets. You planned it with all the information you had available at the time, and you made the right decision. You cannot control the unknowns. (((((((((((((((Misty)))))))))))))))))

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.