to_hope

So THAT'S why coke tastes different in the USA

130 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I also find everything here much much too sweet. We just bought a bread maker last week because I can't stand bread that you buy here off the shelf, which includes things like hamburger and hotdog buns (i've only had 1 chicken burger at mcdonald's since we have been here and the bun totally put me off - maybe that's a good thing :lol: ).

Does the breadmaker make a HUGE difference?(my husband says its the water that makes the bread and bagels not so good) hes from New york city and italian..he might say anything to make excuses for the bread!! :lol: I'de buy a breadmaker in an instant if I thought it would help!

It is HUGE. Now, I did manage to find some bread that tasted pretty 'normal' - like the french loaf at the Albertson's bakery - but I don't want to limit myself that much.

Does it taste like regular bread you would get off the shelf in Canada? No - is it a million times better than most packaged breads here - definately yes.

I don't use tap water, I use purified water - but I don't know how much of a difference that makes :)

In a typical 'basic' bread loaf recipe - for a 2lb loaf - you would add only 2 Tbsp of sugar per the recipe and I actually use a bit less than that.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I also find everything here much much too sweet. We just bought a bread maker last week because I can't stand bread that you buy here off the shelf, which includes things like hamburger and hotdog buns (i've only had 1 chicken burger at mcdonald's since we have been here and the bun totally put me off - maybe that's a good thing :lol: ).

Does the breadmaker make a HUGE difference?(my husband says its the water that makes the bread and bagels not so good) hes from New york city and italian..he might say anything to make excuses for the bread!! :lol: I'de buy a breadmaker in an instant if I thought it would help!

It is HUGE. Now, I did manage to find some bread that tasted pretty 'normal' - like the french loaf at the Albertson's bakery - but I don't want to limit myself that much.

Does it taste like regular bread you would get off the shelf in Canada? No - is it a million times better than most packaged breads here - definately yes.

I don't use tap water, I use purified water - but I don't know how much of a difference that makes :)

In a typical 'basic' bread loaf recipe - for a 2lb loaf - you would add only 2 Tbsp of sugar per the recipe and I actually use a bit less than that.

Purified water does make a difference, its a small difference but when making bread every bit helps.

I love our bread maker, we haven't bought bread since we have moved into our own place. Its great.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
hey trailmix, thanks for your great reply........not!

There is an abundance of people maoning about how things are too sweet and how everything tastes wrong here in the US. I've lived in Canada for 33 years and for 5 years now in the US and around 2 years previously here as well, and very little tastes different. I have bought a few items from Canada and my wife and I can't tell the difference, but I guess we must be in the minority. It's just too funny that the forum keeps getting these food threads that just turn into "I don't like this food here", and "Canada has better tasting food items". If you "think" that hfcs is bad, great, just stop the non-stop threads whining about it.

Anyways, I have a job to go to, so I won't be here to see your, or anyone else's replies for almost a week....darn.

Let the bashing begin!!!!!!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

This coming from a person who has not posted a topic since Dec. 2006. If you aren't going to be an active member of the community, then why bother posting a single, negative post?

I guess some people get kicks outta that.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Purified water does make a difference, its a small difference but when making bread every bit helps.

I love our bread maker, we haven't bought bread since we have moved into our own place. Its great.

I'm buying a breadmaker ASAP!! :dance:

AOS

02/25/08 sent AOS packet

02/26/08 packet received chicago lockbox

03/03/08 NOA(I-485,I765,I131)for daughter and myself

03/09/08 received biometrics appointment letter

03/25/08 RFE recieved for NOA for I129F(USCIS lost it! DOH!)

03/25/08 RFE sent

03/26/08 biometrics appointment(YAY!)

03/26/08 EAD touched(for daughter and myself)

03/28/08 EAD touch again!

04/03/08 RFE received case processing resumes

04/29/08 request AP expedited

05/01/08 AP sent out

05/02/08 case transfered to CSC

05/02/08 EAD card production ordered

05/05/08 EAD card production ordered again

05/10/08 EAD card received

05/16/08 AOS touched

05/18/08 AOS touched again!

06/11/08 AOS card production ordered!

06/16/08 green card received in mail!!

no more USCIS for almost 2 years!!

ROC

04/07/10 sent I-751 to VSC

04/09/10 NOA recieved

04/13/10 cheque cashed

05/17/10 early biometrics

06/29/10 card production ordered

07/10/10 card received

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

BB actually makes bread from scratch without a bread maker....when I was in Toronto, he did the most amazing thing ever

In the morning, I woke up with a package on my doorstep. It had arrived at about 8am, I woke up at about 9 am because he had told me he sent me a surprise so I was excited. He prepared a loaf...froze it and then packed it in dry ice and overnighted it to me from Columbus!!!!So I open this package and its a frozen loaf of unbaked bread! All I had to do was take it out, let it sit on the counter to defrost/rise then put it in the oven and bake it. It was a) the sweetest f*ckin thing ANYBODY's EVER done!!!! B) AMAZING tasting honey wheat bread c) a deal closer for me to want to be with him...lol!

chris4.jpg

"May our love last another day.....and then some"

Timeline
BB actually makes bread from scratch without a bread maker....when I was in Toronto, he did the most amazing thing ever

In the morning, I woke up with a package on my doorstep. It had arrived at about 8am, I woke up at about 9 am because he had told me he sent me a surprise so I was excited. He prepared a loaf...froze it and then packed it in dry ice and overnighted it to me from Columbus!!!!So I open this package and its a frozen loaf of unbaked bread! All I had to do was take it out, let it sit on the counter to defrost/rise then put it in the oven and bake it. It was a) the sweetest f*ckin thing ANYBODY's EVER done!!!! B) AMAZING tasting honey wheat bread c) a deal closer for me to want to be with him...lol!

I must say this post made me smile and go: "AWWZ" :star:

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That is so nice!!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Just read this article on sugar and sugar substitutes. Nothing conclusive, but it does say it's not so much what kind of sugar but how much. And that sugar (mostly HFCS) is added to so much stuff that Americans are eating way more sugar than they ever have. My issue is that I don't need HFCS in my ketchup ... I don't need it in my bread ... I don't need it in my peanut butter ... I don't need it in my salad dressing ... I don't need it in my yogurt. It's in the most unexpected places! And it's too sweet in my Starbucks iced tea. It's too much!!!!

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/personal-finan...-and-sweeteners

Maybe this post should have gone in the rant section! :blink:

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The thing that bugs me the most about US pops? Caffeine. I have a severe caffeine allergy. In Canada? I can grab a Mountain Dew, no worries. If it's not brown, I'm good to go. And most root beers are safe. In the US? I have to check the label of ANY POP I DRINK. There are some brands of ORANGE POP which are caffeinated. In reading the label of a pop called, I think, Sierra Mist, I discovered that some pop makers put VEGETABLE OIL into pop.

It's gross. I've long since stopped drinking pop when I visit the US, which sucks, because I LOVE pop. I'll probably end up buying cans of club soda (if they even have it down there, never looked) and put it into my juice and stuff once I'm down for good.

March 13, 2009--Visa application handed to the post office.

March 16, 2009--Visa application received by Vermont Service Centre at 11:01 am. Let's hope that he actually put in everything he thought he did and they don't send it back to us!!

March 23, 2009--Got the whole package back. The cheque was apparently filled out incorrectly, thanks to the fact that his moronic flatmates helped him and instructed him wrong for the first cheque he ever filled out.

March 30, 2009--NOA1

August 12, 2009--Touched

September 1, 2009, received Package 1 from Montreal--but where is our NOA2???

Timeline
The thing that bugs me the most about US pops? Caffeine. I have a severe caffeine allergy. In Canada? I can grab a Mountain Dew, no worries. If it's not brown, I'm good to go. And most root beers are safe. In the US? I have to check the label of ANY POP I DRINK. There are some brands of ORANGE POP which are caffeinated. In reading the label of a pop called, I think, Sierra Mist, I discovered that some pop makers put VEGETABLE OIL into pop.

It's gross. I've long since stopped drinking pop when I visit the US, which sucks, because I LOVE pop. I'll probably end up buying cans of club soda (if they even have it down there, never looked) and put it into my juice and stuff once I'm down for good.

i drink Polar selzer water.. mmm so good :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.