to_hope

So THAT'S why coke tastes different in the USA

130 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Sometimes I can't believe the craziness that goes on here over HFCS. :wacko:

You guys do realize that HFCS has no more or less effect than sugar, right? Perhaps in some cases it can taste different (there are actually different varieties of HFCS, some of which taste sweeter and others that don't), but weight gain can -- and does -- happen whether or not someone is using sugar or HFCS. If you're eating a lot of sugar, expect to put on the pounds and the same is true of HFCS.

To claim that HFCS is the reason for weight gain and/or is "evil incarnate" is ludicrous. If you prefer one taste over the other, that's different.

Perhaps I should note that HFCS or sugar by themselves aren't anything to worry about. If you combine the two -- as is the case in some U.S. products -- that's where the negative effects can occur.

I'm sure I'll meet with resistance here and be told how HFCS is the reason for poverty, war, famine and so on. That's fine. If even so much as one person listens and understands what I'm saying (instead of having a knee-jerk reaction and launching off on a tirade), then perhaps it's worth it. :star:

DPX, if you start to lose weight in Canada, I think the other side wins. :P

I'd agree. However, I've actually gained weight here. I was losing weight in Texas. So what does that say? ;)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I'd agree. However, I've actually gained weight here. I was losing weight in Texas. So what does that say? ;)

Things are not necessarily bigger in Texas - like your lunch plate.

Timeline

Things are not necessarily bigger in Texas - like your lunch plate.

Once again, I agree. So if limiting your portion size can help prevent weight gain in Texas, why couldn't it occur elsewhere in the United States?

Filed: Timeline

You guys do realize that HFCS has no more or less effect than sugar, right? Perhaps in some cases it can taste different (there are actually different varieties of HFCS, some of which taste sweeter and others that don't), but weight gain can -- and does -- happen whether or not someone is using sugar or HFCS. If you're eating a lot of sugar, expect to put on the pounds and the same is true of HFCS.

To claim that HFCS is the reason for weight gain and/or is "evil incarnate" is ludicrous. If you prefer one taste over the other, that's different.

Perhaps I should note that HFCS or sugar by themselves aren't anything to worry about. If you combine the two -- as is the case in some U.S. products -- that's where the negative effects can occur.

I'm sure I'll meet with resistance here and be told how HFCS is the reason for poverty, war, famine and so on. That's fine. If even so much as one person listens and understands what I'm saying (instead of having a knee-jerk reaction and launching off on a tirade), then perhaps it's worth it. :star:

The problem is, they put HFCS in EVERYTHING. Things that shouldn't have sugar have HFCS. Ergo, our systems are constantly being put into overdrive with all of these sugars. HFCS itself isn't really the problem, no. It's the fact that it's a main ingredient in SAUSAGE for f##k's sake. It's in bread. It's in lunch meat. It's in spaghetti sauce. Humans aren't made to consume sugar in every single thing we eat.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Timeline

The problem is, they put HFCS in EVERYTHING. Things that shouldn't have sugar have HFCS. Ergo, our systems are constantly being put into overdrive with all of these sugars. HFCS itself isn't really the problem, no. It's the fact that it's a main ingredient in SAUSAGE for f##k's sake. It's in bread. It's in lunch meat. It's in spaghetti sauce. Humans aren't made to consume sugar in every single thing we eat.

That I can agree with. If HFCS is merely substituting for sugar, then I don't see any harm (unless you hate the taste). If, however, HFCS is added to something that wouldn't normally have sugar, that's a serious issue. We don't need sugar or HFCS in every little item we eat. At best, we'll simply gain weight and at worst, it could be the foundation of diabetes type 2.

Hear, hear!! Or is it, here, here! Oh well, I'm totally agreeing with you on this one. The fact that it's # put together with sugar to "preserve" things is assinine. The fact that it's put into EVERYTHING it seems is the biggest problem. Sausage? Bread? We, the consumers though, have to do something about this other than to just complain to each other. :thumbs:

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Hire a lobbiest to hit Washington then. But apparently the HFCS proponents already have, judging by the rencent commercials on TV.

Personally I hate the stuff, and nothing DPX says will change that. I see absolutely NO reason it should be added to simply everything, and yes, it DOES change the taste and texture of foods. Why the hell does it need to be added to dill pickles, or mayonaise or rice krispies or or or? bah....

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah I think you got the wrong impression, deadpool, of what we are saying. As a substitute for sugar, fair game. I get that. But the only thing that HFCS doesn't seem to be in are vegetables and fruits. It is literally put in everything you consume, even if you try to eat healthy.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
Yeah I think you got the wrong impression, deadpool, of what we are saying. As a substitute for sugar, fair game. I get that. But the only thing that HFCS doesn't seem to be in are vegetables and fruits. It is literally put in everything you consume, even if you try to eat healthy.

Okay, I guess I did misunderstand. If HFCS is in food that wouldn't normally contain sugar, then that's a gross misuse of the product. There's simply no need to add HFCS to something when sugar wouldn't have been there in the first place.

Timeline

I see what you are saying, but you have to understand the industry as well.. there is a reason that HFCS was created.. check out "Big Sugar" (CBC documentary).. There is money and greed behind the sugar industry and wars have been fought over sugar. It's a world-wide addiction.

I agree with the HFCS in everything, and that it's in things that have no business being in. But on the other hand if you are trying to eat a diet of less refined foods.. I'd take cane sugar over HFCS anytime. I agree ingesting too much sugar as a whole is bad for us period. I was talking with South African friends last night about this and they were saying.. everything here (US) tastes Sooo sweet.. and I have to agree..

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

I think a lot of the differences are really undetectable. But some differences for me are just the difference between families. As I grew up in a British household, my mum made mostly meat and potato dishes.

Now that I live with Italian-Americans, almost everything they eat involves cheese, sauce, salt, sugar, breads, etc. Once and awhile it's okay, even once a week, but it is so excessive. My inlaws are all thin and tall so I guess they must have high metabolisms because they don't exercise too much. My husband works all he eats off at work so he is lucky.

But any ways, I think I knew a lot more people at home, friends and family, that just took it easy when it comes to meals. We also tend not to fry a lot of stuff in Canada, in my opinion, and a lot gets fried here in the US, similar to Scotland and even England.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
My wife and I totally agree with you. This is just something we laugh about on here. :yes:

I hope you and your wife enjoyed many honking laugh moments over this thread and similar ones - it's also good that you expressed your opinion without just jumping in when someone else did rather than just laughing at what you perceived to be everyones ignorance on the matter...oh hang on.

Anyway, I agree here, hfcs or not, not really the issue, the issue is that it is in everything - I don't know that hfcs is such a bad thing - but as others have stated, the fact that is in everything IS a huge issue.

I also find everything here much much too sweet. We just bought a bread maker last week because I can't stand bread that you buy here off the shelf, which includes things like hamburger and hotdog buns (i've only had 1 chicken burger at mcdonald's since we have been here and the bun totally put me off - maybe that's a good thing :lol: ).

In theory I could probably get used to the way everything is over sweetened here - but I don't want to. It would be like saying - i'll just put an extra teaspoon of sugar in everything I eat and eventually i'll get used to it - just defies common sense.

"It's true that overall, the evidence suggests it is not demonstrably better or worse for health than sucrose," says Dr. David Katz, director of the Yale Prevention Research Center. "However, because of corn subsidies, HFCS is added in copious amounts to the food supply, and in places cane sugar is not -- from pasta sauce and salad dressing, to chips. It is the aggregate dose above all that makes HFCS [harmful]."

I also find everything here much much too sweet. We just bought a bread maker last week because I can't stand bread that you buy here off the shelf, which includes things like hamburger and hotdog buns (i've only had 1 chicken burger at mcdonald's since we have been here and the bun totally put me off - maybe that's a good thing ).

Does the breadmaker make a HUGE difference?(my husband says its the water that makes the bread and bagels not so good) hes from New york city and italian..he might say anything to make excuses for the bread!! :lol: I'de buy a breadmaker in an instant if I thought it would help!

AOS

02/25/08 sent AOS packet

02/26/08 packet received chicago lockbox

03/03/08 NOA(I-485,I765,I131)for daughter and myself

03/09/08 received biometrics appointment letter

03/25/08 RFE recieved for NOA for I129F(USCIS lost it! DOH!)

03/25/08 RFE sent

03/26/08 biometrics appointment(YAY!)

03/26/08 EAD touched(for daughter and myself)

03/28/08 EAD touch again!

04/03/08 RFE received case processing resumes

04/29/08 request AP expedited

05/01/08 AP sent out

05/02/08 case transfered to CSC

05/02/08 EAD card production ordered

05/05/08 EAD card production ordered again

05/10/08 EAD card received

05/16/08 AOS touched

05/18/08 AOS touched again!

06/11/08 AOS card production ordered!

06/16/08 green card received in mail!!

no more USCIS for almost 2 years!!

ROC

04/07/10 sent I-751 to VSC

04/09/10 NOA recieved

04/13/10 cheque cashed

05/17/10 early biometrics

06/29/10 card production ordered

07/10/10 card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.