SupportOAFJF

Yardies at home and farrin (part 9)

5,792 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
i agree Lita that this country is not very friendly..don't think it's a blanket statement, some individuals are friendly..

Right. I of course dont know everbody in the country, but as a general statement, the US is not a very friendly country. many other countries see this in us too. I think it just takes seeing others countries style to realize it. Of course there are other countries worse than us, but there are some better than us. Its just an American style thats all.

absolutely, JG we are not talkin gindividuals here..how many of u fear being left on the side of the road in the middle of the day...b/c b4 anyone stops a 100 ppl will pass

I have been stopped on the side of the rode. Flat tire on the highway. I had a lady pick me up and give me a ride to my house. I wasn't even amazed by it. I knew someone would. It's one reason I love this city. It's big with a small town feel.

haha, come to LA an see if someone stop for a Black man on the roadside. Lawd! dem run im ova first!

Never been to CA; but I've always thought it probably wouldn't mesh well with me.

its not CA. This state is too bif to generalize it, but its just certain areas I think in the whole USA that a Black man on the roadside aint a good idea.

Lita I grew up in Cali and I've been to a lot of different areas in Cali and i can't think of a place where a black man could get help. Maybe in Lompoc or somewhere like that. LOL shoot even Chris Tucker and Lavar Burton get harrassed in Cali. :lol:

Opportunities are like sunrises - if you wait too long, you miss them.

William Arthur Ward

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
I really wanted this this question to be infomational, to help others who may find their self in the same situations. How does the US job market recognize their level of education learning. Exclude College that is on another level.

I am aware that their high school education is set up entirely different than ours. Also, their trade school learning is set up different too. i.e plumbling, welding,electrician and computer.

If they have a trade occupation, how do they apply it here?

i have to jump in here. it sounds to me that you are being overly concern about how well a jamaican integrate themselves into american society. i agree that it will take some adjustment but the idea of going out there to get a jobs takes a little more than book smarts. it takes a great attitude and a desire to learn. we maybe from different places geographical but there is a common understanding that if someone wants something they will find the tools necessary to make it happen for them. so yes, i agree that one should prepare for an interview but i also know that despite the cultural difference people can adapt to there surroundings and sometimes that will take good and bad experiences. something you just cannot prepare for. so take comfort in knowing that all those who are trying to make a life for themself will make it happen. don't be so caught up.

jakeswife

Truth in that statement, JW.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

morantbaygirl, have you and your SO talked about him pursuring his GED, if so what has been his feeling on it?

He is in school now working on that. He knows how important education is , he just felt he didn't have a choice then. I googled alot of information before he came and found where he could go for free. So, while he had time on his hands he started school. Now that he works at a University he is working harder to get his GED because he want to go to college.

067-1.jpg

080.jpg Want some

089-1.jpg I am hot

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
i agree Lita that this country is not very friendly..don't think it's a blanket statement, some individuals are friendly..

Right. I of course dont know everbody in the country, but as a general statement, the US is not a very friendly country. many other countries see this in us too. I think it just takes seeing others countries style to realize it. Of course there are other countries worse than us, but there are some better than us. Its just an American style thats all.

absolutely, JG we are not talkin gindividuals here..how many of u fear being left on the side of the road in the middle of the day...b/c b4 anyone stops a 100 ppl will pass

I have been stopped on the side of the rode. Flat tire on the highway. I had a lady pick me up and give me a ride to my house. I wasn't even amazed by it. I knew someone would. It's one reason I love this city. It's big with a small town feel.

haha, come to LA an see if someone stop for a Black man on the roadside. Lawd! dem run im ova first!

Never been to CA; but I've always thought it probably wouldn't mesh well with me.

its not CA. This state is too bif to generalize it, but its just certain areas I think in the whole USA that a Black man on the roadside aint a good idea.

Lita I grew up in Cali and I've been to a lot of different areas in Cali and i can't think of a place where a black man could get help. Maybe in Lompoc or somewhere like that. LOL shoot even Chris Tucker and Lavar Burton get harrassed in Cali. :lol:

I live in Cali and it depends on the area and what you look like. Not every situation out here ends up bad (the majority do, unfortunately) but all in all Cali (at least the Bay Area) isn't the worst of the worst.

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
So all of the stuff you guys are mentioning wrong with your communities or cities.....what is keeping you there then? Do you see yourself moving in the future?

yup, but to where I dont know. Its all about moving for my kids now, not just me. I really have a hard time figuring it out.

It definitely is hard to figure it out. While we live in the bush we really don't have that much to worry about. People are friendly and the area is safe for the most part. We have been fortunate not to experience very much racism or prejudice here at all. It doesn't really have a lot of vibes or a big city feel that I sometimes crave but it is a good place. I am sure I could list a hundred things good and bad but it works for us for now. I worry about moving somewhere and having to deal with all the stuff you guys are talking about. Not sure if the good outweigh the bad.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Watch mi buss di Bogle, Chaplin, Peppaseed, Screechie, Higher Level, Online, Log On....bway dem a di days :thumbs:

Mi naah go dutty up mi cloze fi do Drop Dead or wan rhaatid split *kissteet*

Deh Buttafly was mi first dance tuh learn :yes: Lawd mi glad dat nah on video somewhere...mi mussi look awful :lol:

Edited by Yardiewife

Timeline
So all of the stuff you guys are mentioning wrong with your communities or cities.....what is keeping you there then? Do you see yourself moving in the future?

yup, but to where I dont know. Its all about moving for my kids now, not just me. I really have a hard time figuring it out.

It definitely is hard to figure it out. While we live in the bush we really don't have that much to worry about. People are friendly and the area is safe for the most part. We have been fortunate not to experience very much racism or prejudice here at all. It doesn't really have a lot of vibes or a big city feel that I sometimes crave but it is a good place. I am sure I could list a hundred things good and bad but it works for us for now. I worry about moving somewhere and having to deal with all the stuff you guys are talking about. Not sure if the good outweigh the bad.

And no matter how much you researched, you would just not know until you moved and experienced day to day life there.

Dillon where are you? How do you feel about St. Louis? You are a bit west of us and actually in a nicer area. How would you describe it?

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I really think it has a lot to do with where you live, when i lived in Happy Valley "hence the name" people were very friendly, i remember when I moved to NYC and walk past someone watering their grass and said good morning the look at me like I had antlers coming out my head, I would get on the train smiling and people and if I made eye contact I would say hello to someone, they would just stare at me. So, now I have become a New Yorker, I don't speak to people, its bad, cause when I went to JA I went to ask someone a question I just got right to the point, no good morning, hello or anything. I feel like I am losing my manners but I am tired of people just staring and me and not replying!

~9/8/08 - I-129F sent VSC

~9/17/08 - NOA1 received[/color]

~9/22/08 - I29F approved

~9/26/08 - NOA 2 received

~10-01-08 - NVC processed petition

~10-03-08 - Packet 3 mailed

~10-15-08 - Packet 3 dropped off at embassy

~11-21-08 - Interview!

~11-21-2008- VISA APPROVED!!!

~12-9-08 - arrived-POE JFK

married on ~2-27-09-

===========================================

AOS

~3-13-09 Mailed AOS

~3-16-09 AOS received

~3-23-09 NOA1 received

~4-21-09 Biometrics appt

~3-31-09 Biometics Done!

~5/1/09 AP Received

~4/27/09 EAD order for production

~7/24/09 =AOS interview

~7/24/09 = GC approved pending completed vaccination record.

~8/27/09 = provided an updated vaccination record (hubby had to get another shot)

~9/08/09 = GC in Hand (360 days from filing k1)

Timeline
Watch mi buss di Bogle, Chaplin, Peppaseed, Screechie, Higher Level, Online, Log On....bway dem a di days :thumbs:

Mi naah go dutty up mi cloze fi do Drop Dead or wan rhaatid split *kissteet*

Deh Buttafly was mi first dance tuh learn :yes: Lawd mi glad dat nah on video somewhere...mi mussi look awful :lol:

LMAO - Me too - Buttafly mus hav an instruction manual fi teach de whities!

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Lompoc. Is that a diverse town? I remember my high School played football against them.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline

I live in Cali and it depends on the area and what you look like. Not every situation out here ends up bad (the majority do, unfortunately) but all in all Cali (at least the Bay Area) isn't the worst of the worst.

That's the truth too many places in this country it depends on what you look like and where people feel you should or should not be at any given time. That is the truth and it is what it is. But I still love my home state and feel it as well as many other places could stand improvement.

William Arthur Ward

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I actully really like the bay area. One of my places I'd like to live. Its just a bit pricey in most areas.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline

And no matter how much you researched, you would just not know until you moved and experienced day to day life there.

Dillon where are you? How do you feel about St. Louis? You are a bit west of us and actually in a nicer area. How would you describe it?

I have thought of it a thousand times, JG - Almost done it several - Each time, something big happened in my family, or I got a job offer that was too good to pass up, and it kept me here - Now, I am at a point that when DJ gets here it is a decision that we will make together. When he first comes, we will be rooted to this area -because reality is, for a while, my paycheck will be footing the bills. But, as long as I am in an area where I can easily hop a flight (i.e.- direct, short, and cheap) or drive to my family, I am fine with it - My cousins that have moved down south are doing much better with raising their families than they would have been able to do here.

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Timeline

Lompoc. Is that a diverse town? I remember my high School played football against them.

Girl no it is for the most part a retirement town for well off people! ROFL

Edited by solsoeur

William Arthur Ward

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.