SupportOAFJF

Yardies at home and farrin (part 9)

5,792 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
LITA, that is why i get so upset when i go to ja and am still made to feel as if despite my blackness, im still not accepted to a degree. ( i know that may sound crazy to some, but it bothers me )

You know, I think its the part of JA u are going to, and I dont think its your Blackness, I think its your Americaness and your dating a Jamaicaness...if you know what I mean. But girl you gotta get out the country and go to Kingston. Wont nobody care what you do, who you date, or what your skin is. There races are all different there. These tourists spots get swarmed with women from other places so I think the Jamaican women in those areas are jsut tired of seeing these guys with them and then going back to Ja women when the foreign lady leaves. Plus all kinds of other stuff to tired to get into.

I think you are spot on with that one Marlita :thumbs:

You know I think most all of us had this issue with thinking JA women were rude or mean and stare and all this stuff. I been meaning to blog about this. After I been there a few times and went to different parts of the island I get it now. I actually think JA women are like any other women. I find them quite nice now. But I know how they feel in those tourists towns. Mobay, Ochie, negril and others get swarmed with farrin women. And the guys sometimes jump at a chance to be with one, or they find a decent women or they "hook up" with one, or find a sugar momma. These farrin women go on vaca acting a fool sleeping with men they barely know, getting high drunk and wild....and this is what the JA women think is the norm for us. But we as Americans know that sometimes people get a little looser on vaca than their normal life. Anyway if I was a JA woman I would look all stoosh in the face too. haha. But then if you go to Kingston and other spots people live normally, foreigners visit and dont act a fool and just blend in and visit and they are of ALL races.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

well i have actually met many nice JA women since visiting, and some i make it a point to say hey and give a call to when im in JA which i think is cool as hell. I also understand what your saying Lita, when i first went to JA with the group of 13, they acted a hot mess.. i was like ####### :blink: when most of them know the stuff they did in JA, they wouldnt do at home and a handful of them had boyfriends and husbands, which in part was what made me ready to leave JA by the time my vacation was over, cause i had seen ENOUGH!!!!....lol

alright ladies, im back on the road, chat with yall later.

Peace

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
LITA, that is why i get so upset when i go to ja and am still made to feel as if despite my blackness, im still not accepted to a degree. ( i know that may sound crazy to some, but it bothers me )

You know, I think its the part of JA u are going to, and I dont think its your Blackness, I think its your Americaness and your dating a Jamaicaness...if you know what I mean. But girl you gotta get out the country and go to Kingston. Wont nobody care what you do, who you date, or what your skin is. There races are all different there. These tourists spots get swarmed with women from other places so I think the Jamaican women in those areas are jsut tired of seeing these guys with them and then going back to Ja women when the foreign lady leaves. Plus all kinds of other stuff to tired to get into.

You know I think most all of us had this issue with thinking JA women were rude or mean and stare and all this stuff. I been meaning to blog about this. After I been there a few times and went to different parts of the island I get it now. I actually think JA women are like any other women. I find them quite nice now. But I know how they feel in those tourists towns. Mobay, Ochie, negril and others get swarmed with farrin women. And the guys sometimes jump at a chance to be with one, or they find a decent women or they "hook up" with one, or find a sugar momma. These farrin women go on vaca acting a fool sleeping with men they barely know, getting high drunk and wild....and this is what the JA women think is the norm for us. But we as Americans know that sometimes people get a little looser on vaca than their normal life. Anyway if I was a JA woman I would look all stoosh in the face too. haha. But then if you go to Kingston and other spots people live normally, foreigners visit and dont act a fool and just blend in and visit and they are of ALL races.

That isn't just Kingston. I think that is true of all the communities not directly in contact with the hotels.

well i have actually met many nice JA women since visiting, and some i make it a point to say hey and give a call to when im in JA which i think is cool as hell. I also understand what your saying Lita, when i first went to JA with the group of 13, they acted a hot mess.. i was like ####### :blink: when most of them know the stuff they did in JA, they wouldnt do at home and a handful of them had boyfriends and husbands, which in part was what made me ready to leave JA by the time my vacation was over, cause i had seen ENOUGH!!!!....lol

Peace

Where did you stay, Honey? On that first trip? You almost having me thinking Hedonism the way you are describing it.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Soca community mourns Byron Lee's death

Krista Henry, Staff Reporter

The soca community is mourning the loss of 'The Dragon', Byron Lee, who died yesterday after losing his battle with cancer.

Lee had been fighting transitional cell cancer and was being treated in Florida. However, he was later diagnosed with bladder cancer two years ago and returned to Jamaica by air ambulance on Saturday, October 25, where he was being treated on the Tony Thwaites Wing at the University Hospital of the West Indies. He died yesterday at the age of 73 surrounded by his family and close friends.

As Jamaica mourns his loss, so too does the soca community in the Caribbean. THE STAR spoke with some of the leading soca figures who have all been influenced by Lee.

Barbadian soca queen Alison Hinds said she heard that Lee had died from Monday but was unaware of his actual death when THE STAR spoke with her yesterday. Hinds worked with Lee in the early years of Jamaica Carnival in the 1990s when she was still a member of Square One. Since embarking on her solo career, Hinds continued to visit Jamaica and performed at Jamaica Carnival as recently as last year.

Hinds sent her condolences saying: "This is going to be very sad and very hard. It's going to be a great loss because of his vibrancy, because of his great love for music, not just reggae, as long as it's good music he's interested."

Hinds revealed that Lee was one of her biggest fans.

"When I performed he would make sure to come look for me backstage before or after my appearance," she said. "He always thanked me for doing what I do and if he couldn't come he would ask one of his daughters to come for me so that I could see him. He was one of my biggest fans and just a good man and he will be greatly missed."

She continued: "He was the person who brought carnival to Jamaica. It's going to be different but his spirit is gonna be there. There were times when he was particularly low, that he would just want to be near the music and feel the vibes. I wish him well on his journey."

When THE STAR spoke with David Rudder, he was still in shock although he knew Lee was ill. He thought of 'The Dragon' as a fighter and said he would be dearly missed.

Rudder has been a pioneer in soca music and worked alongside Lee before the advent of Jamaica Carnival.

"Byron was one of the fathers of Caribbean music," Rudder reflected.

"In terms of artistes, he brought all the artistes from different islands together. He was someone I could talk to and get advice from. The first time he brought carnival to Jamaica, I was there. We had a strong connection, not just a musical vibe."

Winston Montano, father of Machel Montano, one of the leading contemporary male soca artistes, also expressed his grief at the passing of Lee.

Montano accompanied his son to Jamaica to work with Lee in the early years of Jamaica Carnival.He said: "We started Jamaica Carnival with Byron and saw it develop. He's a true Caribbean stalwart who was determined to carry the music throughout the Caribbean and was always very professional. I worked with Byron for a long time, not only in Jamaica, but New York, Canada and all over the world."

Soca princess Destra Garcia has known Lee for the past 10 years and said his death is a great loss to the music fraternity.

"His music has been a great influence, especially on the ragga soca style and he's a legend and I know he will live on for years and years," she said. "For the young persons who did not know him through experience like me, they will know him through his music."

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Bleaching is very popular in Jamaica and in Africa.

for the past 4 winters i've lived in thailand

they bleach like CRAZY there!

its hard to find skin products without the *lightening/whitening* factor

its in EVERYTHING~ deodorant, sunscreen, facial wash, lotion, face cream,soaps, facial scrubs etc.

i'd say probably 70% of all beauty products = lightening ones

a lot of ponds, nivea, and vasoline brands

funny- ive never saw any of these products in the male product isle

:wacko:

Timeline

its in EVERYTHING~ deodorant, sunscreen, facial wash, lotion, face cream,soaps, facial scrubs etc.

Interesting.

What is going on with the visa.....I sort of took it as implied on the other site that he might not get it?

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

That isn't just Kingston. I think that is true of all the communities not directly in contact with the hotels.

Peace

Where did you stay, Honey? On that first trip? You almost having me thinking Hedonism the way you are describing it.

Mi naah watch no face. When mi touch di road mi hubby by mi side. Dem whe waan pree wi, mi low ie. Dem seh mi look like farrina inna St Ann, but when we go a Westmoreland dem seh he a di wan whe look like farrina :lol:

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

K-1 and AOS

-----------

Live your life!

Timeline
Bleaching can't be good for the skin... :no:

Neither is tanning.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

Bleaching happens here too, just not as big as overseas. Go to CVS/Walmart/Walgreens and look at the different types of bleaching products by different companies. Take it back 50 or so years and think about the "brown paper bag" test and how many people didn't pass that "test" but tried to lighten their skin to be accepted. Not just Jamaicans and Africans bleach.

K-1 and AOS

-----------

Live your life!

Bleaching happens here too, just not as big as overseas. Go to CVS/Walmart/Walgreens and look at the different types of bleaching products by different companies. Take it back 50 or so years and think about the "brown paper bag" test and how many people didn't pass that "test" but tried to lighten their skin to be accepted. Not just Jamaicans and Africans bleach.

I believe ya. There is a market to sell skin bleaching products all over the world. Even South America.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
What is going on with the visa.....I sort of took it as implied on the other site that he might not get it?

:girlwerewolf2xn:

lol, what visa are we talking about?

his canadian work visa or the k-1/cr1?

as far as his canadian visa- he goes tomorow to kingston to go for medical- BUT mama is super sick with the flu and he doesnt trust his younger sister to watch her while he's gone....

so i don't know

as of right now, im still going to jamaica on the 17th

for how long i go i don't know, but im using miles so its easy to change the ticket

Edited by justucia

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.