SupportOAFJF

Yardies at home and farrin (part 9)

5,792 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
lita they dont call me brownin that i know of, but i still hate the divisiveness of how i feel when i go to JA sometimes?

Shrewdie, it is a term used to distinguish lighter complexioned african americans, if your skin is not very dark then they call you yellow or redbone.

oh

here we just have redneck

:rofl:

I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

10-29-07 Overnighted I-130 to VSC

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

9-5-08 Paid AOS bill online

10-8-08 Paid IV bill online

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

2-19-09 INTERVIEW 8:30am, APPROVED

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Andre is brown now that he isn't in the sun every day. I am definately pink.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

Really the only thing different is sharing the bed space, haha. Its just having another person in the house to be aware or. I think for those with children it may not be that big of a difference. Really it doesnt feel like we are married, just like he's some out of town boyfirend who is visiting. Once he's here awhile it will be different. But the only thing different is just having someone to talk to in the house and to actually see his facial expressions more often.

Although one thing that i feel sometimes is like I took him away from his life before or his fam. thats kinda sad.

Lita, I started to CRY when I read this. I was in Jamaica with Marcel when he said goodbye to his family and friends. We had a week or so with them when he told them he was leaving. It got harder and harder each day and when it came to the final day I've never seen so many grown men cry tears it broke my heart. I'm happy that Evan is adjusting well. Marcel has quiet times when he don't want to talk at all. I just let him be until he finds his way back.

Lawny, this was one of the reasons why i didnt want to fly back with him, cause I knew the last morning there would have been a mess for me with all the crying. I hear about some people in the move to the US being so gung ho and it seems easy for them to up an leave their fam and life but that is not always the case. Sometimes its really hard for a person and their family. I was getting text messages from Evans cousins and gmama, saying they miss him and for me to take care of him, and I tell u tears come to my eyes right now thinking how hard this is for everyone in the situation. Evan has spells of quietness too.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline
lita they dont call me brownin that i know of, but i still hate the divisiveness of how i feel when i go to JA sometimes?

Shrewdie, it is a term used to distinguish lighter complexioned african americans, if your skin is not very dark then they call you yellow or redbone.

oh

here we just have redneck

:rofl:

Yeah, but those are mostly country folk. And, there is a reason for that terminology.....they usually do have red necks and farmer tans on their arms.

OMG, Shrewdie.....do you watch my Big Redneck Wedding???????????? That has got to be the funniest show I ever saw.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

this is from wiki pedia, dont know how reliable it is but thought it may interest someone

In the English-speaking world many terms for people of various multiracial descents exist, some of which are pejorative or are no longer used. Mulato and mestizo are used in Spanish and métis in French for people of multiracial descent, and these terms are also in certain contexts used in the English-speaking world. In Canada, the Métis are a people of mixed white and First Nation descent.

Terms like "mulatto" for people of partly African descent and "mestizo" for people of partly Native American descent are still used in English, but mostly when referring to the past or to the demography of Latin-America. "Half-breed" is a now old-fashioned and pejorative term used for people of partial Native American ancestry. Mestee, once widely used, is now used mostly for members of old mixed-race groups, such as Melungeons, Redbones, Brass Ankles and Mayles. In South Africa, and much of English-speaking southern Africa, the term "Coloured" was used to describe a mixed-race person but also Asians not of African descent[citation needed]. While the term is socially accepted, it is becoming an outdated term owing to its apartheid historical significance.

In English, the terms "miscegenation and "amalgamation" have been used for "race-mixing". These terms are now often considered offensive and are becoming obsolete

Timeline

Wow I surprised to hear you all have not heard those terms before and their meanings. They are very prominent in the Black community and very divisive so when I know what Browning means I hate it cause i feel like its yet another Black culture dividing themselves. Its just odd that they call white people it too, so thats why i was thinking there must be another reason for the word.

Timeline
Andre is brown now that he isn't in the sun every day. I am definately pink.

LOL....the winter does keep you from the sun. When I lived in Florida (grew up there). I was definitely in the DARK category..

He says the sun is hotter during the summer here too, so he can't stay in it long. I know it's more humid. I don't think the sun is hotter though.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

And some more :

Redbone is a term used to describe certain racially mixed ethnic groups in the the Sabine River region of Louisiana and Texas. The term is often applied to African Americans with light skin. A related term is "Yellowbone." A Redbone was someone considered "so light that you can see the red blood flowing though their bones."

"Redbone" was not a polite term and was sometimes used as an epithet. However, some who have identified with this group have embraced the name. They have established family surname, genetic, and historical websites to collect and trace their common heritage. Locally, and especially in the 20th Century, Redbones had a reputation for being clannish, staunchly independent, and fierce in war.

For example, shrewdie, Obama would be considered a redbone by african americans, or someone of SUnnyja's complexion, it can be considered derogatory to some african americans when people use it as a way to distinguish, another example would be if a black man said " i only date redbones, meaning he only prefers to date lighter complexioned black women".

Timeline

Not that it matters one bit, but compared to the color he was when he got here, he is brown. He used to be a dark dark black color.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
this is from wiki pedia, dont know how reliable it is but thought it may interest someone

In the English-speaking world many terms for people of various multiracial descents exist, some of which are pejorative or are no longer used. Mulato and mestizo are used in Spanish and métis in French for people of multiracial descent, and these terms are also in certain contexts used in the English-speaking world. In Canada, the Métis are a people of mixed white and First Nation descent.

Terms like "mulatto" for people of partly African descent and "mestizo" for people of partly Native American descent are still used in English, but mostly when referring to the past or to the demography of Latin-America. "Half-breed" is a now old-fashioned and pejorative term used for people of partial Native American ancestry. Mestee, once widely used, is now used mostly for members of old mixed-race groups, such as Melungeons, Redbones, Brass Ankles and Mayles. In South Africa, and much of English-speaking southern Africa, the term "Coloured" was used to describe a mixed-race person but also Asians not of African descent[citation needed]. While the term is socially accepted, it is becoming an outdated term owing to its apartheid historical significance.

In English, the terms "miscegenation and "amalgamation" have been used for "race-mixing". These terms are now often considered offensive and are becoming obsolete

OMG!! I forgot about Mulatto. Why have I had 2 white friends use this word to describe someone and I had to go off an be like...this is not the time of slavery...we dont use that term anymore. I couldnt belive they still thought it was a term to use in this day and age. It was kinda funny,

Timeline
Yeah, but those are mostly country folk. And, there is a reason for that terminology.....they usually do have red necks and farmer tans on their arms.

OMG, Shrewdie.....do you watch my Big Redneck Wedding???????????? That has got to be the funniest show I ever saw.

hahahah i watched one episode and it was so embarassing!

Yeah, I know about the red neck and farmers tan. Farm girl born and raised, thats why it was so funny to me, hahahaha

I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

10-29-07 Overnighted I-130 to VSC

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

9-5-08 Paid AOS bill online

10-8-08 Paid IV bill online

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

2-19-09 INTERVIEW 8:30am, APPROVED

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Wow I surprised to hear you all have not heard those terms before and their meanings. They are very prominent in the Black community and very divisive so when I know what Browning means I hate it cause i feel like its yet another Black culture dividing themselves. Its just odd that they call white people it too, so thats why i was thinking there must be another reason for the word.

I have heard the term browning here in the US as a way to describe lighter complexion black people...the whole black vs. brown debate. It does confuse me as well why in JA the term would be used for a white person...I came to the same conclusion as you...there has to be another definition/use of the word although I have yet to figure it out.

Edited by Yaads

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.