SupportOAFJF

Yardies at home and farrin (part 9)

5,792 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Shrewdie, I think it's an important topic and every input is crucial - It's funny, I became brownin in JA too - although on the phone, if someone else answers it, I am Yankee, lol

I hadn't fully posted my story - but since I am working from home I have time today, lol!

It was interesting to me to read Morant Bay's post on this, because I grew up just like she did, only in a white family - When I was young, there were not many black (or any other ethnic, for that matter) families in my area - I had two black girls who lived on my street, but they had been adopted by a white lesbian couple (the lesbian part I never grasped until high school, lol - it was her Mom and Aunt! - yes, I was naive!). There was one other black boy in my grammar school - he was different, and I didn't like him - but not bc of his color, but bc he used to call me honky and make fun of me - not that I understood what the word meant! All the way growing up, this was pretty much the demographic of my environment. I was ignorant to different cultures - didn't get it, wasn't exposed to it - it wasn't until I was 19 that I worked at an afterschool - one of my co-workers was black, and we got to be good friends - started hanging out with him and his friends, learned more, opened my horizon, realized that there was no difference whatsoever. Now, my friends represent the UN - black, Indian, South African, Spanish, Irish, English, Scottish,.......

As for my family= No one really ever went there with IR dating when I was younger - I have a distant cousin, same age as me, who has 6 kids by 6 different BM - she did drugs, was in jail, etc.... lots of issues - but I always thought everyone looked down on her for the multi baby daddies and drugs - never realized it was the IR stuff. I never realized that my family had an issue with IR dating until I told them I was dating a BM - and my father told me to get the f**** out of his house - We didn't speak for 2 years, I quit school and started working FT - I was living my life how I wanted - My argument to them has always been that they never raised me to see color - I couldn't be who I am if they had - done the type of work I have done, have the friends I have, etc.... My Mom told me she knows I love that type of music - but she likes country and never wanted to marry a cowboy!

It's really hard to explain - Now, I can better understand where my Dad is coming from - with him being sick, we talked a lot more before he died, and I learned more a bout stuff he saw growing up, and where his fear or prejudice came from. I also came to the realization that my happiness has to come first - and that if my family loves me unconditionally, they will accept whoever makes me happy - My family isn't thrilled about it, there are some awkward moments, but I have faith that they will come around.

Through my life though, I also learned that prejudice is ignorance and fear - and people need to be educated in life - if I hear or see something, I will speak up about it, no matter who you are - if more people open up and try to show other people that people are people, regardless of race, religion, sexuality, disability, ..... maybe we can work on the prejudices that still exist.

That is true Sus but you also have to be willing to learn about others no one can make you want to learn you have to want it.

Opportunities are like sunrises - if you wait too long, you miss them.

William Arthur Ward

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
what the hell!!!! so i cant take passport photos at walgreens just to be clear??? i still need to take some more to send in the packet...or is that just foolishness that your dealing with on you and andres end?

If you are applying for a Jamaican passport FROM the US, it ends up going through the Jamiacan embassy in Washington, D.C., on to JA, and then back through the D.C. Embassy. It MUST be passport pictures from Sears ONLY. Yes, that is what I am saying.

Granted everything else we have needed passport pictures for during this process, Walgreens was just fine.

And, Dillon, when I am sure it went through fine, I am going to make a thread to tell people who follow exactly what we had to do. I just don't want to post yet and find out later something was wrong.

it is such a beautiful day out today. i just want to go home so i can enjoy the last warm day they are predicting we will have.

Is that a whole midwest thing? Same here. It's in the 70's right now. Supposed to go to freezing after today.

lita basically the elections, obama, should people of different faiths be together, um lets see, my chicken and dumplings and oh yeah, andre jomo's husband having a shiny forehead on his passport photos

that about sums it up i think??

:rofl: haha.

As far as religions, you talking bout atheist vs muslim vs Christian?

No just if you and hubby are different religions, how do you deal? And what if they are completely uncompatable beliefs?

Ok, what if there is not a Sears near where you live?

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline
what the hell!!!! so i cant take passport photos at walgreens just to be clear??? i still need to take some more to send in the packet...or is that just foolishness that your dealing with on you and andres end?

If you are applying for a Jamaican passport FROM the US, it ends up going through the Jamiacan embassy in Washington, D.C., on to JA, and then back through the D.C. Embassy. It MUST be passport pictures from Sears ONLY. Yes, that is what I am saying.

Granted everything else we have needed passport pictures for during this process, Walgreens was just fine.

And, Dillon, when I am sure it went through fine, I am going to make a thread to tell people who follow exactly what we had to do. I just don't want to post yet and find out later something was wrong.

it is such a beautiful day out today. i just want to go home so i can enjoy the last warm day they are predicting we will have.

Is that a whole midwest thing? Same here. It's in the 70's right now. Supposed to go to freezing after today.

lita basically the elections, obama, should people of different faiths be together, um lets see, my chicken and dumplings and oh yeah, andre jomo's husband having a shiny forehead on his passport photos

that about sums it up i think??

:rofl: haha.

As far as religions, you talking bout atheist vs muslim vs Christian?

No just if you and hubby are different religions, how do you deal? And what if they are completely uncompatable beliefs?

Ok, what if there is not a Sears near where you live?

I don't know. Mindy told me they told her Sears or The Picture People. They did both. In the end, the embassy used Sears. Today, they told Andre ONLY Sears. Not sure what you would do there.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

I'm not ready for the cold and snow yet, though, Honey. I saw this futurecast thing where they are predicting a pretty crappy winter this year.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

Ok so I have a question...

Someone from Jamaica please explain it to me....

Why call someone "Brownin'"? If I am called Brownin and a white woman is called brownin' how is this possible? What is the term really meaning....I'm not yet BROWN so i'm browning...? Personally I HATE THAT TERM. Hate it hate it hate it. Cannot stand when they say that to me and I usually give the "you better back up off this BLACK girl" look to them when they say it. To me its such a divisive term, like in the US when people use the terms "yellow" or "redbone"...cant stand those either. So am i tripping or am I ok for thinking that the term Brownin is not a good term to use?

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline

Why call someone "Brownin'"? If I am called Brownin and a white woman is called brownin' how is this possible? What is the term really meaning....I'm not yet BROWN so i'm browning...? Personally I HATE THAT TERM. Hate it hate it hate it. Cannot stand when they say that to me and I usually give the "you better back up off this BLACK girl" look to them when they say it. To me its such a divisive term, like in the US when people use the terms "yellow" or "redbone"...cant stand those either. So am i tripping or am I ok for thinking that the term Brownin is not a good term to use?

:blush: well, i hope it isnt bad. M. said it isnt bad when they say it

I have never even heard yellow or redbone

????????????????

:blush: well, i hope it isnt bad. M. said it isnt bad when they say it

I have never even heard yellow or redbone

????????????????

besides..whats wrong with being brown :crying:

hahahaha

I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

10-29-07 Overnighted I-130 to VSC

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

9-5-08 Paid AOS bill online

10-8-08 Paid IV bill online

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

2-19-09 INTERVIEW 8:30am, APPROVED

Timeline

I've been called it too. I thought it had to do with basically not Jamaican and was associated with money (in my case, yes on the first, no on the 2nd!) .

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
I'm not ready for the cold and snow yet, though, Honey. I saw this futurecast thing where they are predicting a pretty crappy winter this year.

i have heard that too, that we will have a harsh winter

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

Timeline

I've never heard yellow (by itself) or redbone either. high yellow drives me nuts though.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

lita they dont call me brownin that i know of, but i still hate the divisiveness of how i feel when i go to JA sometimes?

Shrewdie, it is a term used to distinguish lighter complexioned african americans, if your skin is not very dark then they call you yellow or redbone.

Timeline

i have heard that too, that we will have a harsh winter

Think they are just covering their butts? If it's true, I want to build a nest and hide away. I am not a fan of harsh winters.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

I've been called it too. I thought it had to do with basically not Jamaican and was associated with money (in my case, yes on the first, no on the 2nd!) .

for me it was weird b/c I was called "whitey" for like the first year or two and then suddenly I was called "brownin" all the way from the drive from MoBay to Manchester I was suddenly called brownin.. from people that had seen me before and people that hadnt

it was really strange

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

I agree with you Marlita. But I understand that it will probably always be an issue. I'm pretty much the same color as my husband and he say I'm Black and he's Brown. I can see it...but I just don't get it. So I tried to explain to him that he probably (almost most likely) has some white ancestry. His mom is SOOO light. He denies it.

Timeline
lita they dont call me brownin that i know of, but i still hate the divisiveness of how i feel when i go to JA sometimes?

Shrewdie, it is a term used to distinguish lighter complexioned african americans, if your skin is not very dark then they call you yellow or redbone.

Interesting terminology.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.