sean2atl

Proof of Income

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Chile
Timeline

I'm attempting to bring my soon to be wife from Chile to the US and wanted to know that when showing sufficient support, 125% above the Poverty level, does anyone know that if you don't make exactly above that do they take into consideration money in the bank, assests, etc..? I make about 500 less than that and wondered if i could use anything else to offset the lack of funds. Please help me with this anyone. Thanks

Sean Brown

I'm attempting to bring my soon to be wife from Chile to the US and wanted to know that when showing sufficient support, 125% above the Poverty level, does anyone know that if you don't make exactly above that do they take into consideration money in the bank, assests, etc..? I make about 500 less than that and wondered if i could use anything else to offset the lack of funds. Please help me with this anyone. Thanks

Sean Brown

Home ownership is probably the biggest asset that can potentially offset any income deficiencies you may have. Savings would probably be the next largest asset. Lacking those, a co-sponsor may be in order. :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Chile
Timeline

Sean Brown

Home ownership is probably the biggest asset that can potentially offset any income deficiencies you may have. Savings would probably be the next largest asset. Lacking those, a co-sponsor may be in order. :thumbs:

Thanks for your help, if i make about 300 less than what i need to, any ideas about how much i should have in the bank, and does the co-sponser have to make above the 125% above the poverty level?

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

You must have the lacking difference times 5 in savings or assets. So if you lack $ 300, you should have assets you can liquify quickly worth 5 times

as much = $ 1500. Such as savings in the bank and equity in your house. Some consider a car, furniture etc.

It depends on each embassy / CO how forgiving and accommodating they are.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Sean Brown

mbc from Sub-Saharan regional to K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures General Discussion.

op - :time:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Sean Brown

mbc from Sub-Saharan regional to K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures General Discussion.

op - :time:

It's not 125% above but 125% of the poverty level, so for two people, about $17,500 a year. Are you $300 a year short or $300 a month short? Liquid assets can offset income shortfall at $3 to $1. However, the 125% is a guideline, not a sure thing.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Where is Dan with his the I134 is not the same as the I864 (filed at adjustment) when you need him? :lol:

As pushbrk suggested, it's not a sure thing. Each Consualte is very different in their standards for the I134 (affidavit of support) so you will want to check with the Embassy in Chile or those who have ventured through there to find out exactly what will be needed.

If you fill in your timeline you will have a portals page that will show you all other US/Chile VJ members and you can also visit the Embassy info/reviews pages. Better yet, contact the Embassy yourself for answers.

good luck

timeline.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

When at the interview for the K-1 visa (for my now husband) at the Santiago Embassy I brought my own paperwork (I-134) which only showed that I had made slightly more than the 125% of poverty line. I was nervous, as I had only moved back to the states and found a job part way through the year, meaning that my income wasn't that great before having to file taxes. I was nervous, so I had my parents fill out all the co-sponsorship information and we brought that with. But, never had a problem with any of my own paperwork. My husband was not even asked about it, really, which is surprising with how close it was to the "minimum requirement". So, we never even used the co-sponsorship paperwork.

Hope that eases your mind. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.