Randy Petersen

Confused on which Visa Option! K1 - K3 – DCF

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hello,

My name is Randy; this is my first post on VisaJourney.com. I hope that I am not causing too much trouble by cross posting this to the different visa options. I just don’t know what to do, which visa I should apply?

First off, this is a neat site, it is good for people to read and help this procedure which seems can be very complex. Also if anyone would like to reply my post, please do so in the K-3 Spouse Visa Discussion, then we are all on the same page.

Okay here is the situation. I am a single man going to China to meet my girlfriend Lei. In the event I like her, I am planning to stay for a year and teach English and marry Lei. If I don’t like her, I may stay and seek other women. So assuming I love her, and want her to be my wife. I would like to marry her, soon. So when I do marry her lets say 30 days after I get there, then I will stay for a year and would like to go back to the states with her. All my friends say that I need to do a K-1 that a K-3 will take years. But according to the timelines it seems each method would take less then a year. But can I do the K-3 paperwork while living in China? Or is this something DCF would fall under? This is the timeline I would like to follow, obviously it’s not up to me, but this is perfect world.

Fly to China 6/16/06

Fall in love

Ask to marry 7/16/06

Get married 8/16/06

Start work

Start Visa paperwork

Leave China with my bride 9/1/07

Is it possible? Probably not, but what would be closest to it. You see once I decide to marry, I would rather not leave my wife, ha! Also if you’re curious we have been emailing and chatting for about 4 months know. She lives in Nanning, China.

Thanks again,

Randy

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

K1s are for those that are engaged, and you have to get married in the USA.

I'm not going to touch the rest, nor comment.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Hello,

My name is Randy; this is my first post on VisaJourney.com. I hope that I am not causing too much trouble by cross posting this to the different visa options. I just don’t know what to do, which visa I should apply?

First off, this is a neat site, it is good for people to read and help this procedure which seems can be very complex. Also if anyone would like to reply my post, please do so in the K-3 Spouse Visa Discussion, then we are all on the same page.

Okay here is the situation. I am a single man going to China to meet my girlfriend Lei. In the event I like her, I am planning to stay for a year and teach English and marry Lei. If I don’t like her, I may stay and seek other women. So assuming I love her, and want her to be my wife. I would like to marry her, soon. So when I do marry her lets say 30 days after I get there, then I will stay for a year and would like to go back to the states with her. All my friends say that I need to do a K-1 that a K-3 will take years. But according to the timelines it seems each method would take less then a year. But can I do the K-3 paperwork while living in China? Or is this something DCF would fall under? This is the timeline I would like to follow, obviously it’s not up to me, but this is perfect world.

Fly to China 6/16/06

Fall in love

Ask to marry 7/16/06

Get married 8/16/06

Start work

Start Visa paperwork

Leave China with my bride 9/1/07

Is it possible? Probably not, but what would be closest to it. You see once I decide to marry, I would rather not leave my wife, ha! Also if you’re curious we have been emailing and chatting for about 4 months know. She lives in Nanning, China.

Thanks again,

Randy

Ok well good luck with Lei or whomever you find.......... (F)

A k1 visa are for those who are engaged and a K3 visa is for someone who married however it can not be filed out side the US. People in the US follow the K3 option instead of the CR1 rout because it saves time since it allowed for the spouse to come to the US and apply and receive his visa here...

If you were to file in China you would definitely have to file under DCF and that should not take long suppose all your paper work is in order.....

IF so these are a couple of things you would need in china

Your passport(obviously)

your tax returns and w2 forms for the past 3 years( I have heard that they only require the past year now thought)

your birth certificate

proof of your relationship

and the rest you can get from there (her papers and marriage documents) :thumbs::star:

AUG 24-2005 SENT I -130

AUG 26 2005 NOA 1 RECEIPT

JAN 24-2006 NOA 2 APPROVAL

AT NVC

02/02/2006 CASE NUMBER ASSIGNED BY NVC

02/09/2006 NVC GENERATED I864 AND DS 230 FEE BILLS

02/13/2006 LAWYER RECEIVES AND SENDS OUT FEE BILLS

02/25/2006 NVC CASHED FEE BILLS

02/28/2006 NVC GENERATES PACKET OF INFORMATION (I864 AND DS 230)

03/06/2006 LAWYER RECIEVES PACKET OF INFORMATION

04/18/2006 SENT OUT PACKET OF INFORMATION

04/21/2006 NVC RECIEVED PACKET OF INFORMATION

04/28/2006 RFE (LETTER OF EMPLOYMENT FOR HOUSEHOLD MEMBER)

04/29/2006 FAXED RFE

05/09/2006 RE-FAXED RFE WITH BARCODE SHEET AND ALSO SENT IT IN MAIL

05/10/2006 NVC RECIEVED RFE AND STARTS REVIEW

05/18/2006 CASE COMPLET

06/03/2006 CASE SENT TO COUNSULAT

07/05/2006 INTERVIEW DATE

07/05/2006 PUT ON A/P

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Randy, I posted on the DCF forum for you, as it seems that it is the most viable option for what you wish to accomplish.

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.