Pammy

TRAVELS OUTSIDE US

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello! I know this post is similar to my previous ones. But this is more specific and I need more direct and specific experiences and/or opinions.

As a Permanent Resident (acquired through marriage), I know I must fulfill the Continuous Residence and Physical Presence/Residence Requirements in order to be eligible to apply for US Citizenship in the future.

As for the Continuous Residence requirement: My husband and I file ITRs together each year. We have assets (house, car and a restaurant), insurance policies, active bank accounts, etc. under both our names.

And as for the Physical Presence/Residence requirement: I will be in the US atleast 7 months each year. That is more than 50% of the required time I have to be physically present here.

Now, my question: Is this enough proof to establish that the US is my primary domicile? Will abandoning my PR status be an issue given the facts above? As a Conditional Permanent Resident, what are the CONS (negative effects on removing conditions on my GC and applying for USC) of being OUT of the US for 5 months each year?

Any advice, comments, opinions will be appreciated. Thank you.

Filed: Timeline

Pammy,

These things address the issue of the USA being your primary place of residence, but they do not address the Continuous Residence requirement.

Have you read the Guide to Naturalization available on the USCIS web site?

Yodrak

As a Permanent Resident (acquired through marriage), I know I must fulfill the Continuous Residence and Physical Presence/Residence Requirements in order to be eligible to apply for US Citizenship in the future.

As for the Continuous Residence requirement: My husband and I file ITRs together each year. We have assets (house, car and a restaurant), insurance policies, active bank accounts, etc. under both our names.

Any advice, comments, opinions will be appreciated. Thank you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Pammy,

These things address the issue of the USA being your primary place of residence, but they do not address the Continuous Residence requirement.

Have you read the Guide to Naturalization available on the USCIS web site?

Yodrak

Hi Yodrak,

Thanks for your response. I went through the Guide to Naturalization. If Im not mistaken, Continuous Residence will not be disrupted if I will not be out of the US for more than 6 months. I also have documents/evidence to support that I am and will be continuously living in the US while I am away the US for a couple of months. As I mentioned, these proofs are our (me & my husbands) joint ITRs, insurance policies, bills, bank accounts, etc. What else do you think is necessary to establish my Continuous Residence requirement? Please continue to enlighten me. I appreciate your inputs.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.