mawilson

USD-GBP exchange rate

103 posts in this topic

really don't want to see it go to as low as $1.05.

Luckily i tranx some over when it was $1.96, really wish i'd done more then! :huh:

07/15/2008 I-129f sent to VSC

07/19/2008 I-129f received at VSC

12/09/2008 NOA2 approved

01/13/2009 Medical completed

02/03/2009 Interview - APPROVED!!

02/28/2009 POE Raleigh/Durham

05/02/2009 Official wedding day...get to see the family!

04/11/2009 AOS paperwork sent

04/17/2009 NOA for I-765 & I-131

05/13/2009 Biometrics appointment

05/08/2009 Biometrics done

06/05/2009 EAD & AP approved

06/23/2009 back in the UK

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
$1.40 is about where it was 10 years ago - i think it may have even dipped to $1.30 at one point.

$1.05 is the lowest it has been.

Please Lansbury, don't even go there. :(

No way I have a monthly pension from my old job in the UK. :blink:

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

really don't want to see it go to as low as $1.05.

Luckily i tranx some over when it was $1.96, really wish i'd done more then! :huh:

God I envy you....... so far I have lost over $11000 of what I planned to take wihen I first go over.........I feel sick, think I will leave more here and hope for the best and just sit it out and bring it over as and when I need it, wish I had sent more over when it first started dropping

Oh well at least I am sitting on $250 I got at $1.98 ha ha gotta look on the bright side

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I get daily emails with the day's mid-market rate from xe.com.

Even if you don't want to use xe.com as a trader, I've found it useful.

You can watch the small trends, and it helps me plan when to bring over enough to keep going.

It makes for depressing reading but it's saved me money!

K-1 Application

================

2nd October 2007 - I-129F sent to CSC

10th October 2007 - NOA1 issued

31st January 2008 - NOA2 issued

22nd May 2008 - Interview date

18th July 2008 - US here I come

22nd August 2008 - Wedding date

AOS

================

15th September 2008 - AOS Pack (I485, I131, I765) Sent

22nd September 2008 - NOA1 x 3 Received

6th October 2008 - Transferred to CSC

17th October 2008 - Biometrics

5th December 2008 - EAD & AP approved

20th February 2008 - GC approved

I-751

================

1st December 2010 - I-751 Sent (CSC)

3rd December 2010 - I-751 Received

7th December 2010 - Cheque cashed

3rd January 2011 - Biometrics

I get daily emails with the day's mid-market rate from xe.com.

Even if you don't want to use xe.com as a trader, I've found it useful.

You can watch the small trends, and it helps me plan when to bring over enough to keep going.

It makes for depressing reading but it's saved me money!

Thanks for the tip off

Filed: Other Timeline
Well, if you decided to start the visa process 6 months ago (fairly typical processing time) the money you were going to bring over is worth -23% less now than when you started.

I understand that.

What I am saying is even with today's exchange rates, one still comes out ahead.

I can understand people being disappointed that their home values have dropped and they won't clear what they would have six months ago. But that's GBP to GBP.

When bringing sterling over, you're still sitting pretty. That's the way I see it, anyway.

Edited by rebeccajo

A lot of things are relative though.

The cost of living is still relative to where you moving from in the UK and where you are moving to in the US. If I move from the North where the average cost of a home is 100k-150k sterling to - say - SoCal where the average house price $450k your even further off from being able to afford a comparable home than you were 6 months ago.

If you are drawing a UK pension you are getting less money per month.

Edited by rkl57

90day.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I don't mean to be impolite, but ..... sterling is still worth MORE than the dollar. You can still bring your money over here and it's worth more than over there.

I don't think it is, on spending power it is worth less.

The parity spending power is around $1.60, ie £1 in the UK buys what $1.60 would in the US. If you get an exchange rate less than that you are in effect losing money.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Well, if you decided to start the visa process 6 months ago (fairly typical processing time) the money you were going to bring over is worth -23% less now than when you started.

I understand that.

What I am saying is even with today's exchange rates, one still comes out ahead.

I can understand people being disappointed that their home values have dropped and they won't clear what they would have six months ago. But that's GBP to GBP.

When bringing sterling over, you're still sitting pretty. That's the way I see it, anyway.

I think what people mean is that they are upset because if they had been transferring GBPs to USDs a year ago they would have got a lot more dollars for their pounds than they will at the moment.

For example I transferred a sum of money from UK to USA this time last year. If I was to transfer the same amount of money this week, I would be $40,000 worse off :o just because of the way the exchange rate has dropped.

Edited by helwardman

I understand that.

Of course it's still better than changing it the other way round. And anyone who has a significant amount of cash to bring over should consider themselves very lucky in today's climate.

I'm just disappointed because the process took so long for us - we got stuck in the VSC blackhole for ten months - it means I started this process over a year ago and was expecting to have been able to move a few months ago.

I took a severence package from work and had been hoping to use it to tide me over any unemployment and to put something down as a house deposit. The amount I have now gets me around $15,000 less than a month ago. It's just my bad luck/timing but it still stings. Especially if it's going to be increasingly hard to get a new job over in the US - every penny counts.

But as I said I do realise I am lucky to have something to bring over.

I don't mean to be impolite, but ..... sterling is still worth MORE than the dollar. You can still bring your money over here and it's worth more than over there.

I don't think it is, on spending power it is worth less.

The parity spending power is around $1.60, ie £1 in the UK buys what $1.60 would in the US. If you get an exchange rate less than that you are in effect losing money.

Parity spending power? Where does that figure come from? Wouldn't that be something 'relative' such as what Robin talks about in her post just above hers? And would it also not be a figure that would adjust itself based upon world conditions?

I understand that.

Of course it's still better than changing it the other way round. And anyone who has a significant amount of cash to bring over should consider themselves very lucky in today's climate.

I'm just disappointed because the process took so long for us - we got stuck in the VSC blackhole for ten months - it means I started this process over a year ago and was expecting to have been able to move a few months ago.

I took a severence package from work and had been hoping to use it to tide me over any unemployment and to put something down as a house deposit. The amount I have now gets me around $15,000 less than a month ago. It's just my bad luck/timing but it still stings. Especially if it's going to be increasingly hard to get a new job over in the US - every penny counts.

But as I said I do realise I am lucky to have something to bring over.

I bolded the part of your post that has been a problem for us - now that my husband has been here three years.

The going back over bit has been gut-wrenching to say the least. It was pretty discouraging to plan a visit and try to save twice as many dollars as needed in sterling to stay in a hotel, dine out, do any shopping or even just visit the pub. Once you are over here living and working, dollars are all you've got. The backblow hasn't been pretty.

Edited by rebeccajo

I understand that.

I think what people mean is that they are upset because if they had been transferring GBPs to USDs a year ago they would have got a lot more dollars for their pounds than they will at the moment.

For example I transferred a sum of money from UK to USA this time last year. If I was to transfer the same amount of money this week, I would be $40,000 worse off :o just because of the way the exchange rate has dropped.

Imagine though, taking dollars to the UK and being 50 percent worse off.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.