Maeve

OT question

59 posts in this topic

Definitely not a sheltie !! They really do need a lot of exercise and are extremely intelligent, so to be alone for long periods of time will result in a destructive and loud dog (they bark like crazy). We are in the process of adopting a golden retriever, however my husband works from home full time and I work from home 2-3 days a week so someone is always around. If you have a dog you really need someone around to feed and exercise it, and of course they require a lot of training and socialization with other dogs and people. ALL dogs need exercise so a dog will have you up at 6am for a walk and potty time EVERY single morning. We have two cats at the moment that have their own cat door as they like to roam outside. Aside from feeding them in the morning and evening, they pretty much do their own thing. The like to sit with us in the evening and play with their toys but you can leave them alone all day if you need to and they will likely just sleep. Also if you are away for one night, you don't have to have anyone feed your cat as you can just leave a big bowl of dry food for them and a big water bowl and they are fine.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
AWWW she is so beautiful!! I just want to pick her up and give her a great big cuddle!!

Thanks! She is the best dog. She gives us many laughs. She is just so stupid. :lol: We take her to the dog park and she is definetely the slowest dog I have ever seen run in my entire life.

Nev-Your dog seems very adjusted to your living space which is nice. She def. has separation issues though haha. Remember her waiting at the window before we even got to your place?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
ALL dogs need exercise so a dog will have you up at 6am for a walk and potty time EVERY single morning.

Oh yes :lol: 5:30am every morning for her morning bathroom break! If we don't get up, she sure reminds us that she has to go! haha

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline
AWWW she is so beautiful!! I just want to pick her up and give her a great big cuddle!!

Thanks! She is the best dog. She gives us many laughs. She is just so stupid. :lol: We take her to the dog park and she is definetely the slowest dog I have ever seen run in my entire life.

Nev-Your dog seems very adjusted to your living space which is nice. She def. has separation issues though haha. Remember her waiting at the window before we even got to your place?

Yea Mike said she sat there pretty much the ENTIRE time. :lol:

ALL dogs need exercise so a dog will have you up at 6am for a walk and potty time EVERY single morning.

Oh yes :lol: 5:30am every morning for her morning bathroom break! If we don't get up, she sure reminds us that she has to go! haha

Does she do this on weekends too!? :o

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

hah Hell yes! She's on a schedule. I usually don't sleep in on weekends though so it doesn't bother me much.

My eyes filled with grit

Greyhounds are the best apartment dog hands down. My husband's dog is so mellow he is like a cat and most other greyhounds I have met are the same way. He can be left alone four hours and just sleeps and sleeps and sleeps and is very content just to rest. He is super affectionate and likes to have a "deep relationship" ha ha, meaning that they become very attached to their owners. He was a rescue dog but adapted very well. The great thing is they are happy just to chill while you are at work then when you get home, they are ready for a burst of energy to play run or go for a walk, then they lay down to "relax and chill" for the rest of the evening. Check out youtube videos, they are precious!

I'd have to say that they are the one of the few large dogs that I would not consider it cruel to keep in an apartment, plus you can't get much closer to a cat like personality!

Edited by rupa

Jul 15/07 Engaged!

Oct ??/07 - Lawyer sent in I-129F

Nov 6/07 - NOA 1 Date

Jan 18/07 - Waiting anxiously

Feb 17/08 - A touch!

Feb 29/08 - NOA 2 - Approved!

Mar 02/08 - Touched

Mar 03/08 - Touched

Mar 10/08 - Petition arrived at NVC

Mar 12/08 - NVC forwarded Petition to Vancouver Consulate!

Mar 28/08 - Received packet 3

Apr 7/08 - Sent Packet 3

Apr 14/08 - Medical!!

May 13/08 - Interview date YAHOO!

GOT THE VISA!!!!! MAY 14, 2008

July 6/08 - Crossed the border - they let me in!!

July 12/08 - Wedding day - it was perfect!

July 23/08 - Back from Honeymoon in PR - now onto AOS?!?!?!

Sept 3/08 - AOS package in the mail - what a headache!

Sept 9/08 - 3 NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

Sept 30/08 - Biometrics appointment for AOS and EAD

Nov 13/08 - Touch on AOS and EAD

Nov 17/08 - AP shows up in the mail

Nov 17/08 - EAD card production ordered

Jun 25/09 - Green Card Production ordered - Finally after 10 months!

June 30/09 - Received welcome letter!

July 10/09 - GREENCARD! - All done for a bit now!

May 20/11 - Sent in I-751 for removal of Conditions

Greyhounds are the best apartment dog hands down. My husband's dog is so mellow he is like a cat and most other greyhounds I have met are the same way. He can be left alone four hours and just sleeps and sleeps and sleeps and is very content just to rest. He is super affectionate and likes to have a "deep relationship" ha ha, meaning that they become very attached to their owners. He was a rescue dog but adapted very well. The great thing is they are happy just to chill while you are at work then when you get home, they are ready for a burst of energy to play run or go for a walk, then they lay down to "relax and chill" for the rest of the evening. Check out youtube videos, they are precious!

I'd have to say that they are the one of the few large dogs that I would not consider it cruel to keep in an apartment, plus you can't get much closer to a cat like personality!

oops I meant for hours not four hours. But I agree with the other poster that they need potty breaks 2-3 time a day, once in the morning and in the evening at the very least.

Jul 15/07 Engaged!

Oct ??/07 - Lawyer sent in I-129F

Nov 6/07 - NOA 1 Date

Jan 18/07 - Waiting anxiously

Feb 17/08 - A touch!

Feb 29/08 - NOA 2 - Approved!

Mar 02/08 - Touched

Mar 03/08 - Touched

Mar 10/08 - Petition arrived at NVC

Mar 12/08 - NVC forwarded Petition to Vancouver Consulate!

Mar 28/08 - Received packet 3

Apr 7/08 - Sent Packet 3

Apr 14/08 - Medical!!

May 13/08 - Interview date YAHOO!

GOT THE VISA!!!!! MAY 14, 2008

July 6/08 - Crossed the border - they let me in!!

July 12/08 - Wedding day - it was perfect!

July 23/08 - Back from Honeymoon in PR - now onto AOS?!?!?!

Sept 3/08 - AOS package in the mail - what a headache!

Sept 9/08 - 3 NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

Sept 30/08 - Biometrics appointment for AOS and EAD

Nov 13/08 - Touch on AOS and EAD

Nov 17/08 - AP shows up in the mail

Nov 17/08 - EAD card production ordered

Jun 25/09 - Green Card Production ordered - Finally after 10 months!

June 30/09 - Received welcome letter!

July 10/09 - GREENCARD! - All done for a bit now!

May 20/11 - Sent in I-751 for removal of Conditions

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes greyhounds can be great apartment dogs. We almost adopted one from a rescue organization. The one thing that kept us back was that we have 2 cats and 1 was a kitten, and the greyhounds instinct is to kil small prey,lol We did a fair bit of research on the topic, bought books. Even if they say the greyhound is 'cat safe' its not a for sure thing! 1 lady that has had greyhounds for many years stated we were probably better off with a different breed of dog. They do not require that much exercise, we were told 2-30 min walks a day! And yes they are the biggest slackers inside, sleep and sleep! But keep in mind they do take a bit of training. Since most of their lives, has been spent at the track or in cages, they are not used to do simple things as going up stairs. And it takes a bit of time for their personality to come alive. but they are great dogs and very affectionate. And they tend to have very few genetic problems! As well there are some medicine that one can give to "normal" dogs, but are deadly to greyhounds! As well, there tends to be greyhound groups that meet and allow their dogs to socialize with other greyhound. They are an amazing animal! I used to know of a sitr that helped u pick a suitable dog. You answered a bunch of questions, and out plopped a list of possible suitable dogs! Im sure one could google it. But im soon out the door.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
oops I meant for hours not four hours. But I agree with the other poster that they need potty breaks 2-3 time a day, once in the morning and in the evening at the very least.

2-3 times a day? :lol: My dog pisses about 10 times a day.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

2-3 times a day? :lol: My dog pisses about 10 times a day.

Which is a good point Amanda. That's what I was getting at about cats. You can't tell what your cat will be like until you get to know them and they do change as they get older (just like you can't say a dog only needs to go outside 2-3 times a day) - for instance a fairly quiet cat can develop a whole new vocabulary of meows as they get older :lol:

Cats are known as extremely independant - but in comparison to what? To dogs - sure - I think we can generalize like that - but some cats need LOTS of attention - so in that case it would be rather cruel to leave them alone for any length of time.

I really hope you guys look in to fostering a pet while your hubby is still at home all the time Maeve. :)

Timeline

True dat, true dat..every pet is so individual and has individual needs. My dog has a weak stomach and often goes throw bouts of the "d" word. (hate the word)

She will have to poop many, many times a day to try to get rid of whatever it is she ate/consumed/breathed in, etc. and if you can't watch her it may end up on the carpet/floor.

That is why you have to be so ready to get a pet. They can consume your life.

My eyes filled with grit

I have to chime in! I am very passionate about people adopting dogs, you can find pure breed adoption agencies pretty much anywhere.

My suggestion for an Apartment is a Great Dane, yes it seems like an unusual match BUT: Great Danes were bread to lay around castles and hard floors. They do eat a lot of course because they are so big, but they are the MOST gentle Giants and they don't bark or jump on people, and they are EXTREMELY easy to leash and house train. If you adopt you probably will get a grown Dane and no worries there.

My 2 cents. I personally own 3 dogs and dogsit more. soooo

AOS

APRIL 24 2008 - Filed AOS Packet APRIL 28 2008 - Package received and signed for by CHYBA

MAY 6 2008 ( Day 1) - Notice USCIS received MAY 10 2008 (Day 4) -Rec'd all 4 NOA's & Status of all 4 online

MAY 12 2008 (Day 6) - Received Biometrics letter MAY 14 2008 (Day 8) - Biometrics done early.

OCTOBER 22 2008 (DAY 170)- I-765:Card Production Ordered/I-131: Approval notice sent

OCTOBER 27 2008 (Day 175)- AP Received

OCTOBER 30 2008 (Day 178)- EAD Approval Notice Sent OCTOBER 31 2008 (Day 179)- EAD Received

NOVEMBER 4 2008- Applied for SSN / NOVEMBER 24 2008- SSN Received

JANUARY 15 2009- INTERVIEW-APPROVED!!

JANUARY 31 2009- GC RECEIVED_No more USCIS for 10 Months[/color]

ROC

October 27- I-751 Sent

October 30- I-751 Received

April 10-10 YR GC Received

Timeline
I have to chime in! I am very passionate about people adopting dogs, you can find pure breed adoption agencies pretty much anywhere.

My suggestion for an Apartment is a Great Dane, yes it seems like an unusual match BUT: Great Danes were bread to lay around castles and hard floors. They do eat a lot of course because they are so big, but they are the MOST gentle Giants and they don't bark or jump on people, and they are EXTREMELY easy to leash and house train. If you adopt you probably will get a grown Dane and no worries there.

My 2 cents. I personally own 3 dogs and dogsit more. soooo

While I agree that Great Danes are gentle, intelligent and quiet, this is a one bedroom apartment we are talking about. A great dane is a massive dog and I don't think it's the best idea to keep in in a tiny little space.

Also, Great Danes are incredibly athletic. They are beautiful. But if you can't walk it every day, then probably not the best.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

I am actually going to speak up for cats. I love dogs as well but it sounds like you don't have a lot of space nor a lot of consistent time. I have spent a lot of time dog sitting for friends. Dogs are social animals - they are happiest living in packs - and you are their packmates. If you expect to be away a lot of time - either in the military or working long hours - that means the dog is going to be alone for a good part of the time. Some dogs do better than others on their own, but many begin to develop destructive attention-seeking habits if they are alone too long, especially confined inside. Cats are also social creatures but most tend to be a lot more adaptable. I would actually suggest an older cat who is already somewhat established and in need of a new home as then you will have a good idea of their personality and if they will adapt to a life on their own a good amount of the time. I would actually recommend getting 2 older kittens or cats as they will keep each other company and literally are not that much more difficult or expensive than one. A one bedroom apartment is large enough. I would also suggest that since you will be away for Christmas as well as out of the house for long periods of time in a day not to get kittens as they require a fair bit of people interaction to become properly socialized. Get two older - 1 or 2 years old - companion cats in need of a good home from the Humane Society and you will never regret your decision. When circumstances improve either time wise or space wise then you can add a puppy. A puppy growing up with cats will be a lot better arrangement than kittens growing up with dogs.

Good luck.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

My next dog is going to be either a yorkie or a west highland terrier.

Remember that song about Terrier's by the kids in the hall?

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.