SimoAndYvette

Need clarification on something, regarding...PORK!

100 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Yes, any meat can contain parasites.

I can understand your husband, being muslim, not wanting to eat it or have it cooked in the house (since it would require using the same cooking utensils). Asking you to not eat it, and you are not muslim, is just your husband's preference.

There are many "unpleasant" things eaten in the middle east. I have seen dried, smoked, sheeps head in shops. Had it served up to me once after being in a pressure cooker, with all its teeth laying about.

I know they eat camel. And I even saw Anthony Bourdain in Saudi Arabia eating lizards.

See if your husband is will to give something up, edible that is, that you find repulsive.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

I can understand your husband, being muslim, not wanting to eat it or have it cooked in the house (since it would require using the same cooking utensils). Asking you to not eat it, and you are not muslim, is just your husband's preference.

There are many "unpleasant" things eaten in the middle east. I have seen dried, smoked, sheeps head in shops. Had it served up to me once after being in a pressure cooker, with all its teeth laying about.

I know they eat camel. And I even saw Anthony Bourdain in Saudi Arabia eating lizards.

See if your husband is will to give something up, edible that is, that you find repulsive.

Oh so many things I find repulsive....

Pigeon, Liver, Brains....*vomit*

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Oh so many things I find repulsive....

Pigeon, Liver, Brains....*vomit*

Beef testicles :blink:

Edited by star_dragon

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-07-11 AOS packet mailed (and supposedly delivered the same day)

2009-07-15 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765 (USCIS rec'd date is 07-12)

2009-08-05 Case transferred to CSC

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

2009-08-25 - received Biometrics appointment letter!

2009-08-27 I-131 (AP) approved

2009-09-15 Biometrics appointment

2009-09-15 EAD Card production ordered!

2009-09-23 EAD Card received

2009-10-06 GC approved/card production ordered

2009-10-13 GC received in the mail!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am mormon and my husband is muslim. We respect each others' religions. My religion requires that I not consume coffee, tea, tobacco, alcohol and drugs. My husband smokes and drinks tea and coffee and I don't ask him not to. I eat pork and he doesn't ask me not to.

I took meat science classes as an undergrad and any meat can contain parasites. The countries with the highest pork consumption are also listed with the countries with the world's healthiest people. I think that long ago (long long long ago), there were deaths from trichinosis from pork consumption which would cause caution in eating pork and that began the belief that pork is not ok to eat.

Pigs are actually one of the cleanest animals. As far as them eating anything and everything, after growing up on a farm with sheep, cows, goats, pigs, horses, dogs and cats; it's AMAZING what ANY of these animals will eat. Almost ALL animals under certain circumstances have been known to eat their own feces. Sheep, goats, and cows; all those who graze; are ruminant animals and eat differently than other animals because of their internal anatomy. Also, when grazing, there are endless amounts of parasites/bacteria/toxins/etc. that are consumed from the dirt that the grass is growing in. All animals eat from the ground and the ground isn't sterile.

"True freedom and the end of suffering is living in such a way as if you had completely chosen whatever you feel or experience at this moment. This inner alignment with Now is the end of suffering. Is suffering really necessary? Yes and no. If you had not suffered as you have, there would be no depth to you as a human being, no humility, no compassion. You would not be reading this now. Suffering cracks open the shell of ego, and then comes a point when it has served its purpose. Suffering is necessary until you realize it is unnecessary." Eckhart Tolle

usmorocco-1.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

I am mormon and my husband is muslim. We respect each others' religions. My religion requires that I not consume coffee, tea, tobacco, alcohol and drugs. My husband smokes and drinks tea and coffee and I don't ask him not to. I eat pork and he doesn't ask me not to.

I took meat science classes as an undergrad and any meat can contain parasites. The countries with the highest pork consumption are also listed with the countries with the world's healthiest people. I think that long ago (long long long ago), there were deaths from trichinosis from pork consumption which would cause caution in eating pork and that began the belief that pork is not ok to eat.

Pigs are actually one of the cleanest animals. As far as them eating anything and everything, after growing up on a farm with sheep, cows, goats, pigs, horses, dogs and cats; it's AMAZING what ANY of these animals will eat. Almost ALL animals under certain circumstances have been known to eat their own feces. Sheep, goats, and cows; all those who graze; are ruminant animals and eat differently than other animals because of their internal anatomy. Also, when grazing, there are endless amounts of parasites/bacteria/toxins/etc. that are consumed from the dirt that the grass is growing in. All animals eat from the ground and the ground isn't sterile.

I am not so sure pigs are the cleanest animals. In India, I see the snuffling about in the rubbish heaps and open sewers. However, dogs eat S$!+ too. And Americans love dogs.

Another thing that struck me as strange was seeing so many pigs in India at all, considering many Hindus (not all are vegetarian), muslems don't eat them. Christians and Buddhists do, though. I learned that "low caste" Hindus, on the border of starvation, will eat pork out of necessity to stay alive.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard that on Noah's Ark there was so much waste that god either created, or guided the pigs to eat it, therefore that is why pork is not allowed. I don't have the slightest idea if this is true.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
Pork is indeed haram, or forbidden in Islam. I can understand your hubby not wanting you to cook it in the home because it may contaminate his food, but I don't understand why he cares if you eat it. If you are not a Muslim, then you are not required (islamicly) to follow the same rules as he is. But to each his own I guess.

On a side note...many people who come to the USA don't realize that there are pork by-products in many, many things that you wouldn't assume. Since becoming a Muslim a few years back, I've become an avid label reader at the supermarket. Keep you eye out, for hubby's sake, for anything containing gelatin in particular.

Also, it is true that pig meat is very high in fat, and can contain dangerous parasites, even if it's cooked all the way thru. I've never heard of it contributing to "man boobies" but at least that's hillarious.

this is a good point, it is easier to keep kosher when buying products - there are numerous kosher symbols to let you know that the product does not contain pork or mix meat/dairy etc.

marshmallows, jello, sliced cheese, string cheese sticks etc all of these pretty much have gelatin/pork enzymes. Im sure lots of other stuff that I am not thinking of

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
Thank You! You answered exactly what I was asking.....

I have always known he was not going to ever eat pork....NO problem.

All of my family is aware, that for family gatherings...NO pork and again...NO problem.

The original agreement was, I would prepare two different things, if one of the items contained pork (different pans, the whole thing)...again, NO problem.

I think his issue is he has been thinking about it now.....and it is making him have anxiety, he has never been around it, and thinks possibly, I have it daily (not even close).

Yes! I have found a halal market, did that one months ago. I will be shopping there.

Thank you MrsAmera! Spot on! :thumbs:

There are numerous things that contain pork products - you really have to read everything. This was something my husband and I were very clear on but more importantly my family was clear with. I too grew up eating lots and lots of pork and my family still does, but they understand that we do not and now for the most part respect that. This is especially important with what they do or do not give to our children. My oldest know knows that he shouldn't eat pork but of course the 2 yr has no clue. As for how you deal with it, well you just do. There are plenty of substitutes for most things, be it chicken, turkey or beef or tofu. I agree that not all of it tastes the same as the real thing but I guess that's just a sacrifice. (P.S. Trader Joe's has tofu chorizo that is pretty spot on - except is the crumbly kind). You may also want to find out if your husband will require to eat only halal meat (i.e. not your run of the mill meat products) because this can also be a big issue if you don't live near any halal stores.

I dont think its really fair that at your family gatherings they cannot have pork, cant he just go and not eat it? YOu say no problem though so I guess its no big deal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
As salaamu alaikum

I wonder how some people think it's in their right to insult Islam now and Muslims to take the high road and not say anything.

The Quran was not written by "a man" and the question was "is pork haraam?" and"IT IS". I mean we can say what we want as far as "our husbands respecting us, and it's true a couple should respect each other. Go to a Jew, and ask if it's okay to eat pork. Go to the bible and see if it's written about not eaten pork. It's written in the bible, yet, people insist on insulting Muslims for us noting eating pork.

However, how about knowing what you are getting into when you marry a Muslim. How about thinking pass our private parts( oh he is so cute! oh my Habibi!!) think about the future, think about your future children, it's ridicious how much people insult us Muslims in our faces now.

I really refrain from speaking a lot though; because these men have to think carefully too before getting married. If you are a Muslim why should this be problem for you what a non muslim wife does? If you are so worried about these things(eating pork) why marry a non-muslim and then cry if she doesn't follow the tenets of Islam? Why cry over what she does? I always shake my head at men like that. I'm so sick of these men coming into the masjids crying "my wife won't become Muslim" I don't feel sorry for them. Truly your religion is your choice, and no one can force you to become anything you don't want.

I just feel sorry for women who get into marriages with these kinds of men.

This is a warning to women getting involved with Muslim men, "think about what you are getting into seriously, because what they will accept now(being younger) will one day change. Don't heed the warning or heed it.

Pork, Alcohol, is haraam no questions about it. They have beef pepperoni in all major supermarkets so you can add this to your pizza.

Its forbidden specifically in the Quran.

We dont have any pork products in our home - I am from a southern family so I grew up with ham, bacon, and/or salt pork in EVERYTHING. But actually I really dont miss it at all, and less so over time when I learn more about commercial hog farming. YOu can find decent enough substitutions for most recipes if you search around a bit.

Cute baby Ma' sha Allah!

hooray nancyb

myself really didnt eat pork too much, just bacon for breakfast.. was a little tough but managed and dont miss it. even before my husband, always had wonders about pork and after not eating it for over two years, when I did have it I got sick and experienced horrible stomach pains.. parasites? perhaps, other reasons maybe... just know that convinced me... no need for pork for me :)

09/2005 submitted I130, 08/09/2006 completed medical,case left NVC to Montreal Embassy July 7, 2006
06/07/2006 NVC CASE COMPLETE! (278 days from I130 submitted to NVC case complete)
August 2006 Interview at Montreal Embassy, need to submit I601 & I212 waiver.July 2007 submitted waivers to Montreal Embassy who forwarded to Vermont Service Center
October 2007 rec'd receipt and notification or waiver processing from VSC, April 2008 rec'd RFE for I601 July 2008 submitted RFE, and rec'd receipt, advised written decision within 60 days
October 24, 2008 sent written request for case status to VSC, May 2009 after written request for status update recd letter "being processed"
July2009 requested Senator inquiry again.. response "with officer, required extra processing" if no response check back 6 months!
Dec 09 requested senator inquiry again, Jan 8 2010 requested more than "general inquiry" senator Jan 11, 2010 Senator requested supervisor
Jan 12, VSC told senator's office we wld recd notice in mail 7 - 10 days Jan 20, 2010 I601 DENIED.... letter dated Jan 14, 2010
April 2010, granted 290b approval to send to Appeal for review

October 2011 Appeal denied due to fraud, now dumped by husband, now with Canadian Arabic woman from Tunisa for Canada residence.. processing Immigration with her now

thru Canada

July2013 He ws deported back to Egypt almost a year ago due to out of status for almost 2 years

movin on to a new life
Felicia

So tonight my husband asked something of me. Keep in mind, he has only asked 2 other things...both being very important to him: 1) I not drink alcoholic beverages (so now I just smell them..LOL) and 2) I do not swim in a public pool where men would be at.

Now #3...please do not eat pork anymore, or at the VERY least do not cook it in the house. I asked for an explanation and this is what I got:

1. It is in the Qoran

2. It is against his culture

3. Pigs eat bad things

4. When he thinks of me and the kids eating it, it makes him feel "far" from us

Okay, so I somewhat understand it, but my brain works like this....I NEED DETAIL; I do not do well with vague.

In the last year, I have already cut our pork consumption down by 80%... I have been substituting turkey for SOOO many things (turkey bacon, turkey ham, etc....). OH did I mention I am half Spanish?? I was basically raised teething on a Pork Chop bone! Seriously! We use pork as our main meat. By 7 I was making tortillas, Green Chili and Beans! I can quite honestly have no problem with not cooking it anymore...but giving up Green Chili ( I tried using beef...not even close!)?? I just do not know guys!

This is silly right?? That I am even asking this??

So...my question is this: Why is Pork such taboo in Islam and as a person from Arabic descent? Again, NEED details ... in order to get it around my brain. :wacko:

Thank You!!

Others have answered as to why pork is not allowed in Islam, but I wanted to speak to some of your more specific points.

Your Muslim husband asked you to 1.) not drink alcohol, 2.) not swim in a public pool where men see you, and 3.) abstain from eating pork.

My concern is this: your husband is Muslim and because pork is the issue, it is safe to assume that you are Christian and not Jewish and not Muslim because those are the only three types of women Muslim men are allowed to marry. Christianity does not forbid pork consumption, Christianity does not forbid alcohol (and, actually, some say Islam does not either, but that's not the point of this discussion), and Christianity does not forbid women swimming in a public place where men swim. That said, he is not free to push his religion on you because, as a Muslim man, he HAS to allow his wife to have her religion and her faith, nor is he free to go to the mosque and whine to his buddies about his wife not converting as other husbands, evidently, do. He has no choice. Your faith is your faith and that's all there is to it.

Finally, let me tell you from experience, you will want to sort out these religious and cultural differences NOW, before he arrives and is sideswiped by culture shock. Hash it all out - dietary restrictions, the swimming thing, leaving the house without his express permission, leaving the house without your legs (and possibly arms) covered, what to do when his male friends come to visit, how he feels about you having male friends, and many, many more.

I wish you the best.

i am feeling like becoming a vegetarian after reading this thread, ugh!

i go back and forth on that all the time. i won't eat it for several months, and then i'll have to make myself some chicken tikka masala or something, so then i'm not vegetarian anymore. but then i won't feel like eating it for a long time after. i have odd eating habits...

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

First, watched that youtube video. NASTY!

Second, I was raised Christian and our particular religion preached against pork as an unclean meat (as we can see now by that nasty ole video is true!). I have pretty much not eaten pork through my life, with the occasional pizza issue or eating at other people's houses that served it, and every time I've ingested it, I've gotten sick. I don't know if it's mental or if it's the gross amount of fat and grease that go with it.

To each their own, but having been one that has been "tricked" into eating it just to prove to me it wouldn't kill me, not cool.

Got married : 6-3-06

I-130 delivered : 6-12-06 - Appt in Cairo

I-130 Approved : 4-18-08 - USCIS approval!!

Visa Interview Date : 6-22-08

Case sent to WADC: 8-6-08 - FBI check

Email From Embassy 1-09 - Still in AP (7 months)

19 DHL scans - 2-19-09

1-26-09 - Out of AP, now final review

2-26-09 - Visa in hand!

3-11-09 - POE JFK - Got stuck there due to immigration taking too long. They didn't change his visa from CR1 to IR1, have to go to immigration here to fix it.

3-12-09 - Arrived in Portland!!

5-29-2010 - Zane was born ** Absolute best day of my life!

6-7-2010 - Ahmed went back to Egypt

8-23-11 - Filed for divorce

1-12-12 - Divorce final

Filed: Timeline
I am surprised that these things weren't discussed in advance. Pork is forbidden, yes. I can't say I know for sure the exact reason, but pigs are viewed as very dirty animals in Islam. I knew this before I married my husband, and it made no difference because I had stopped eating pork before I met him. Not for the same reason, but because I think it tastes nasty. So this is not an issue for us. Even if I did eat pork this is one of those things that wouldn't be a big deal to me, so I would have given on this one.

Hi Yvette,

So others have already mentioned that pork is haraam and specifically mentioned in the Qur'an...

Me, too, M4E, i can't say for sure what the exact reason is... i feel like this is something i should know!! :blush:

My guess is that pork was forbidden under Moses's laws much, much earlier... in the Torah and Old Testament.

Pigs are bottom-feeders and will eat garbage and their own feces... You can get really sick (and perhaps in some instances in ancient times die) from it not being cooked properly...

i would guess that the religious law stems somehow from these practical facts...

As for you giving it up... totally your decision...

Take your time and decide what's right for you. :thumbs:

Pork was outlawed because of trichinosis. Of course, they didn't know what it was. They just knew that many people who ate pork died. So they made it illegal. When man-made laws didn't work well enough, they made it religious law. A fine is one thing, but fearing for your eternal soul was more of an incentive to obey. Many religious laws were created thusly. In fact, it can be argued that organized religion was created for this reason. (Just one of many theories. Not saying it's fact, just a possibility)

Trichinosis, also called trichinellosis, or trichiniasis, is a parasitic disease caused by eating raw or undercooked pork and wild game infected with the larvae of a species of roundworm Trichinella spiralis, commonly called the trichina worm. The few cases in the United States are mostly the result of eating undercooked game, bear meat, or home reared pigs. It is most common in the developing world and where pigs are commonly fed raw garbage.

and

It has been suggested that trichinosis may be one of several factors that led to religious prohibitions in Islam, Judaism, etc. against eating pork products, such as in the kashrut and dhabiĥa halal dietary laws. The medieval Jewish philosopher Maimonides advocated such a theory in his Guide for the Perplexed. This topic is controversial.

(From Wikipedia)

The "religion as more-scary law" was first advanced to me by my religion professor who was also a Baptist minister.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.