SimoAndYvette

Need clarification on something, regarding...PORK!

100 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Sooooooo how yeah doin Yvette :)

What i've come to notice in Islam is we are not to do anything that may harm ourselves......... so as another poster said Pigs are typically bottom feeders. I am by no means an expert on ANYTHING but i've also wondered if that is indeed one of the reasons should we not take a look at say crab...(bottom feeder of the ocean). And if we are not to do anything that can harm us I've seriously considered most pesticide vegitables as also a problem.

I have a great Halal store next to me I love the cuts and most times find the meat at or sometimes less costly as the bigger chains. There is something about Halal meat that just seems better to me. Good luck ya Kiati

And yeah totally dig the alternatives and the kids do to.

Swimming... heck i am not a fan of my body so i am ok with not swimming in public either I do miss shorts on the beach but we've agreed on shorts under a light cotton abaya feels almost the same he's happy i am happy.

And you're right it's just a question about Pork...... simply it's Haram for him it's like watching you eat absolutly disgusting and we all know he wants the very best for you all.

talk to you later

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

I don't know if this helps, but I just like the way it was broken down here (maybe easier to understand?)

http://maniacmuslim.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6311

(again you might want to verify this info first )

Bob: Again, while on the topic of food, why do Muslims condemn the eating of pork or ham or any foods related to pigs or swine.

Yunus: Actually, apart from the Quran prohibiting the consumption of pork,bacon (pig flesh); in fact the Bible too in Leviticus chapter 11, verse 8, regarding swine it says, "of their flesh, the swine,(another name for pig)shall you not eat, and of their carcass you shall not touch. They are unclean to you."

Further, did you know that a pig cannot be slaughtered at the neck for it does not have a neck? That is according to its natural anatomy(structure). A Muslim reasons that if the pig was to be slaughtered and fit for human consumption the Creator would have provided it with a neck. Nonetheless, all that aside, I am sure you are well informed about the harmful effects of the consumption of pork, in any form, be it pork chops, ham, bacon.

Bob: The medical science finds that there is a risk for various diseases as the pig is found to be a host for many parasites and potential diseases.

Yunus: Yes, even apart from that, as we talked about uric acid content in the blood, it is important to note that the pig's biochemistry excretes only 2% of its total uric acid content, the remaining 98% remains as an integral part of the body.

Sooooooo how yeah doin Yvette :)

What i've come to notice in Islam is we are not to do anything that may harm ourselves......... so as another poster said Pigs are typically bottom feeders. I am by no means an expert on ANYTHING but i've also wondered if that is indeed one of the reasons should we not take a look at say crab...(bottom feeder of the ocean). And if we are not to do anything that can harm us I've seriously considered most pesticide vegitables as also a problem.

I have a great Halal store next to me I love the cuts and most times find the meat at or sometimes less costly as the bigger chains. There is something about Halal meat that just seems better to me. Good luck ya Kiati

And yeah totally dig the alternatives and the kids do to.

Swimming... heck i am not a fan of my body so i am ok with not swimming in public either I do miss shorts on the beach but we've agreed on shorts under a light cotton abaya feels almost the same he's happy i am happy.

And you're right it's just a question about Pork...... simply it's Haram for him it's like watching you eat absolutly disgusting and we all know he wants the very best for you all.

talk to you later

I agree that the taste and quality of Halal meat is much better :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
if that is indeed one of the reasons should we not take a look at say crab...(bottom feeder of the ocean).

Yeah... if we are talking Moses's laws, then all shellfish are out b/c of the dirty bottomfeeder thing... but the restrictions vary among the three religions.

but i'm no expert either! :blush:

Edited by AlHayatZween

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I posted in my Muslim thread asking about Gold now lol....... if anyone has any input on that one check out the thread :)

And thanks... unfortunatly for me i lOVE crab!!!! but that has been in my mind for some time and haven't eaten it since...

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

Sandrila and Yvette, just make sure your husband knows you are giving him pork to 'try', if you choose to do that. It is expressly forbidden in the Quran and I know my husband certainly believes that he cannot pick and choose what parts of the Quran he can adhere to and what parts he can ignore. He would be livid if I tried to get him to try pork as a surprise.

And just to clarify, my husband didnt 'make' me give up pork, I avoid it and keep it out of our home out of respect for him. My sister's husband is a Hindu vegetarian who, like pattu's husband, has never even had one bite of meat. They never have meat in their home or cook it although if my sister is free to order it out and often does (just as my husband would not care if I ordered ribs at a barbecue place if I wanted to). She's a great cook and enjoys finding and experimenting with vegetarian recipes, and together we often try to find ways to make vegetarian versions of some of our favorite family recipes. He's not forcing her to live this way any more than my husband is, its just a small part of making the marriage work and respecting each other.

as far as the swimming and stuff goes, of course its a good idea to discuss it ahead of time but it may be something that clears itself up after he gets here. As far as my husband goes, at first he used to always say he didnt want me to have any male friends. His reality at that time, living in morocco, was that at least within his family and social circle there was/is still a great deal of segregation between the genders - men socialize with men and women with women, unless its close family. He couldnt really imagine what my friendships might consist of because his experience with it was that the friendship really meant some kind of attraction or 'interest'. Once he got here and got settled in he saw that its a different social environment here and now he doesnt bat an eye at male friends. Just my experience and like I said, its always good to discuss in advance....

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

i pm'med you

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I worked in the cafeteria through most of college, oftentimes with a cook from Afghanistan. A few of the other cooks had an ongoing game to see if they could trick him into eating pork. Thankfully, they told me this before they knew I was muslim, so I could avoid taking anything from them to eat. After I told poor Najeeb, he turned green and was sick for a week. It completely undermined the entire harmony of the workplace.

Seriously, it's just wrong. If someone has a sincerely held religious belief, why would you want them to violate it, if it's not doing anything to harm you.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Sandrila and Yvette, just make sure your husband knows you are giving him pork to 'try', if you choose to do that. It is expressly forbidden in the Quran and I know my husband certainly believes that he cannot pick and choose what parts of the Quran he can adhere to and what parts he can ignore. He would be livid if I tried to get him to try pork as a surprise.

My dad gave his Iraqi best friend a "surprise" ("surprise" meaning my dad didn't know he couldn't eat pork) ...I dunno, 45 years ago when they met, and his friend loved it. He then asked what it was, my dad said it was pork, and the guy instantly threw up and was horrified.

He then ate pork whenever he felt like it after that though! :wacko:

Just a stupid story but I wouldn't do what the above poster mentioned. If they want to come out and try pork on their own, or ate it by accident that's one thing. But I wouldn't try to sneak it in. That's not cool!

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Timeline

I agree - no surprises. My husband would have been mortified if I slipped him some pork and said "see you do like it!" It has nothing to do with liking it or not liking it.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline
As salaamu alaikum

I wonder how some people think it's in their right to insult Islam now and Muslims to take the high road and not say anything.

The Quran was not written by "a man" and the question was "is pork haraam?" and"IT IS". I mean we can say what we want as far as "our husbands respecting us, and it's true a couple should respect each other. Go to a Jew, and ask if it's okay to eat pork. Go to the bible and see if it's written about not eaten pork. It's written in the bible, yet, people insist on insulting Muslims for us noting eating pork.

However, how about knowing what you are getting into when you marry a Muslim. How about thinking pass our private parts( oh he is so cute! oh my Habibi!!) think about the future, think about your future children, it's ridicious how much people insult us Muslims in our faces now.

I really refrain from speaking a lot though; because these men have to think carefully too before getting married. If you are a Muslim why should this be problem for you what a non muslim wife does? If you are so worried about these things(eating pork) why marry a non-muslim and then cry if she doesn't follow the tenets of Islam? Why cry over what she does? I always shake my head at men like that. I'm so sick of these men coming into the masjids crying "my wife won't become Muslim" I don't feel sorry for them. Truly your religion is your choice, and no one can force you to become anything you don't want.

I just feel sorry for women who get into marriages with these kinds of men.

This is a warning to women getting involved with Muslim men, "think about what you are getting into seriously, because what they will accept now(being younger) will one day change. Don't heed the warning or heed it.

I'd like to know where anywhere was "insulting Islam"?

Who is insulting Muslim's for not eating pork? :wacko:

Anyway I agree with what you said about geting to know your husband's culture and your husband getting to know yours.

Yvette I know you feel defensive right now, but people here are just voicing their opinions (as usual) and if you come here and post things, we're going to comment. Good, bad, helpful, or not. :) That's VJ MENA for ya. If you don't want people to comment, ask someone a question in PM or offline. Plenty of us would be glad to help.

It was just your wording that people (mostly *I* but maybe others?) were concerned about. You made it seem like you and your husband haven't discussed much before you were married. I think taking the time to get to know his culture and religion more would benefit you both and his adjustment period. That being said, he should also learn about you, your culture, and your beliefs too. :thumbs:

world-map.jpg

Timeline
I posted in my Muslim thread asking about Gold now lol....... if anyone has any input on that one check out the thread :)

And thanks... unfortunatly for me i lOVE crab!!!! but that has been in my mind for some time and haven't eaten it since...

Hmmmmmmm... i think you are fine w/ shellfish :) ...

Not haraam according to Islam...

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Timeline

Hmmmmmmm... i think you are fine w/ shellfish :) ...

Not haraam according to Islam...

Shellfish is forbidden in Judaism, not Islam... :thumbs:

world-map.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We are muslim and do not eat pork in our home because of the Quran.

I will add that it hs been a game to everybody that knows my husband in how they can get him to eat pork or sneak it in his meal.

Timeline
We are muslim and do not eat pork in our home because of the Quran.

I will add that it hs been a game to everybody that knows my husband in how they can get him to eat pork or sneak it in his meal.

That's really sad. One time I *thought* my family snuck in pork with my husband when he first arrived. They served us mashed potatoes that comes from a tub that you can buy ready made at a super market. As I was eating them I noticed little pink bits in it. My husband had already finished his and I was SOOOO pissed inside I couldn't take it. But I didn't say anything.

I confronted my brother, fuming, and he said he didn't know there was pork in it, how sorry he was, etc. Then I went over to the tub they came in, and they were "fake bacon bits". Whew! :innocent:

world-map.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.