Big Papa Zone

Pound continues to nosedive against the dollar

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
The Post Office are always less than other places, I did some checking online and the best I could find was $1.70, from Tesco! that is quite shocking .

With the Credit Crunch I dont expect to see it go up anytime soon, I usually go to Thomas Cook.

M&S can be pretty good, I got my dollars and dinars there at a better rate than anywhere else.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you all hate me when I tell you I got $2.02 to the pound last year when we moved? :innocent:

Hate you :P

Although I can't complain at the rate we got through Custom House :)

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: Timeline
It was so much easier when it was $2 to the £, when I was in the states I would just halve everything and know how much it was, now when I go shopping I will have to take a calculator :whistle:

Thank god I did not changeback the $'s I had left and bought at the good exchange rate

But remember whatever comes down has to go up, well I hope it does before I move over there or I will lose a fortune to what I thought I would take

The pound has been inflated since 2004-5. It was bound to go down.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
It was so much easier when it was $2 to the £, when I was in the states I would just halve everything and know how much it was, now when I go shopping I will have to take a calculator :whistle:

Thank god I did not changeback the $'s I had left and bought at the good exchange rate

But remember whatever comes down has to go up, well I hope it does before I move over there or I will lose a fortune to what I thought I would take

The pound has been inflated since 2004-5. It was bound to go down.

I was reading a forecast site earlier today and it "forecasts" the dollar to go back up around dec/jan and then keep going till March/April. They also forecasted the current dip but not quite as bad. The dollar dipped 10cents to the pound in the last 24 hrs.!!

Hopefully they will be right and we will see a rise again.. I am seriously considering keeping my cash here for a little longer... I guess it's gamble!!

**Note** I am in a no way a financial Adviser..and am not regulated by the FSA... I am just the worlds biggest freaking optimist!! LOL :whistle:

1997 - Jess and I met chatting on Mirc and lost touch after a few months

12-22-07 - I tracked Jess down on Myspace and we began to talk daily on IM and telephone

02-29-08 - I flew to New York and we met in person. Amazing - the connection was real

03-11-08 - I flew home - both heart broken yet totally in love.

04-10-08 - I flew back to NY. Asked for fathers blessing.

04-14-08 - I flew home to plot propsal.

05-17-08 - Jess flew to UK - engaged 4 hrs later :-)

05-26-08 - Jess fly's home.

06-13-08 - We contract Immigration attorneys to guide us through the K1 process.

07-03-08 - Jess sends pack to attorneys for checking. (lawyers paperwork)

07-08-08 - Lawyers send out official forms for us to check and sign. Completed same day an returned.

07-09-08 - The big man at the law firm checks our packet for the last time.

07-10-08 - I-129F gets mailed to USCIS VSC

08-01-08 - NOA 1

09-12-08 - Jess has flights booked to the UK.

09-20-08 - Jess fly's home after another amazing visit.

11-26-08 - Dave flew back to NY and is here on an extended visit. Heading back end of feb 2009 unless

Interview comes first :-)

12-04-08 - NOA 2

12-19-08 - Application leaves NVC for London

01-02-09 - P3 leaves embassy...

01-14-09 - No sign of P3...

01-23-09 - Still No P3 - downloaded forms and sent in anyway

01-29-09 - P3 Confirmed receipt at London Consulate.

02-09-09 - DOS confirms interview for 10th March

02-22-09 - Dave Fly's back to UK

02-23-09 - Medical

03-10-09 - Interview

us-uk-alliance.gif

Yeah, but we all know you hate me anyway, Aly! This was just the nail in the coffin, eh? :devil:

Indeed... just wish I had several more nails... and a truck full of concrete :devil::lol:

Aww Maven - luv ya really (L)

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The Canadian dollar, after being 1 for 1 or even better earlier this year, is now down lower than 80 cents US. If it stays this way until we go home for Christmas, we are seriously considering taking out a personal loan here and paying off my student loans using waaaaay less money to do so. It's very tempting!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

I was reading a forecast site earlier today and it "forecasts" the dollar to go back up around dec/jan and then keep going till March/April. They also forecasted the current dip but not quite as bad. The dollar dipped 10cents to the pound in the last 24 hrs.!!

Hopefully they will be right and we will see a rise again.. I am seriously considering keeping my cash here for a little longer... I guess it's gamble!!

**Note** I am in a no way a financial Adviser..and am not regulated by the FSA... I am just the worlds biggest freaking optimist!! LOL :whistle:

Which site was that, please? I'm waiting for a taxi to take me to the local station, to get to London for my interview in under two hours. I wish our I-864 was written in pencil, so I could change the numbers on the train ... :( Our UK house sale completes next Friday and I figure we're losing thousands of $ each day right now.

Anyways, interview report will follow later today.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
The Post Office are always less than other places, I did some checking online and the best I could find was $1.70, from Tesco! that is quite shocking .

With the Credit Crunch I dont expect to see it go up anytime soon, I usually go to Thomas Cook.

Well today Tesco will give you $1.56, and the Post Office will give you $1.57

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Really ? I did another search on MoneySavingExpert.com and they still rate Tesco at the top, well for 500 pounds anyway. I wouldnt be surprised if the site doesn't update nearly as often as needed so you are probably correct.

I really need to start checking around my area soon and get my money changed over before it falls even more!.

A screenshot for MoneySavingExpert and link, I dont know if it will be helpfull at all though!.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

mselz1.jpg

29/06/2004 Met online

24/10/2004- Officially started dating!

-Various Trips Between the USA and Scotland-

25/12/2007- Steven Proposed, and gave me a lovely Ring!

29/02/2008- Sent I-129F to VSC

22/09/2008-1pm - Recieved Visa!

04/11/2008 -Steven comes back to Scotland for the Celebrations!

09/11/2008- We return home together!

23/01/2009- Wedding!!!

Your I-129f was approved in 108 days from your NOA1 date.

Preparing AOS Forms.

09/4/2009- Sent AOS

11/4/2009- Received and signed for

20/4/2009- Received NOA for AOS/EAD/AP (Dated April 17th)

20/4/2009- USCIS cashed check for $1010

09/5/2009- Biometrics

11/5/2009- Case transferred to CSC

05/6/2009- Received AP

09/6/2009- Received EAD

22/7/2009- Approved!

27/7/2009- Greencard in Hand

Removal of Conditions.

15/5/2011- Received @ VSC

23/5/2011-NOA1

12/07/2011- Biometrics

Timeline

I just did the same search, and got the same answer as you - but then go ahead and see what happens when you click the Tesco hyperlink! ;)

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Lol yeah well I did say the site probably doesn't update, that just proves it. After seeing that I did some reading up

[ClickPress, Wed Oct 22 2008] Following comments yesterday from Bank of England Governor, Mervyn King, condemning the UK economy to recession, investors rushed to the traditional US dollar safe-haven despite concerns about the US economy. Overnight the pound fell in value to just over 1.6260, representing a drop in value of over 7% since the start of the week. In late London trading today (22 October) it traded down to 1.6150. The dollar’s strengthening also saw the euro-US dollar exchange rate drop to 1.2740, its lowest for nearly two years.

With £1 now buying just $1.64 it is possible that consumers will think twice before booking a Christmas shopping spree in New York. Spending $1,000 on gifts will now cost £138 more than it did last November when £1 would get you $2.17.

Doesn't sound like it is going to get any better soon!, I leave on the 9th of November I have my fingers crossed for a miracle haha.

29/06/2004 Met online

24/10/2004- Officially started dating!

-Various Trips Between the USA and Scotland-

25/12/2007- Steven Proposed, and gave me a lovely Ring!

29/02/2008- Sent I-129F to VSC

22/09/2008-1pm - Recieved Visa!

04/11/2008 -Steven comes back to Scotland for the Celebrations!

09/11/2008- We return home together!

23/01/2009- Wedding!!!

Your I-129f was approved in 108 days from your NOA1 date.

Preparing AOS Forms.

09/4/2009- Sent AOS

11/4/2009- Received and signed for

20/4/2009- Received NOA for AOS/EAD/AP (Dated April 17th)

20/4/2009- USCIS cashed check for $1010

09/5/2009- Biometrics

11/5/2009- Case transferred to CSC

05/6/2009- Received AP

09/6/2009- Received EAD

22/7/2009- Approved!

27/7/2009- Greencard in Hand

Removal of Conditions.

15/5/2011- Received @ VSC

23/5/2011-NOA1

12/07/2011- Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline
Remember how a few short months ago we were getting 2 bucks for every pound? Today, the post office will give you $1.57. It's absolutely ###### infuriating, it really is. :angry::angry::angry:

how about 1 dinar - $ 3.7 dollars?? Dollars here is very low. To think you spend in dinars but you get salary in dollars.. :whistle:

Edited by Completely
jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Timeline
Doesn't sound like it is going to get any better soon!, I leave on the 9th of November I have my fingers crossed for a miracle haha.

Oh, it's not going to get any better, mate - it's going to get a whole lot worse. Consider yourself fortunate that you're leaving next month, because when this poxy recession really hits home next year, the rate will be down to around $1.30 odd, just like the last time we were in recession in the early 90's.

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

I also wouldn't use a high street exchange - check out some of the wire transfer sites you can use - they tend to have better rates...

http://www.customhouse.com/

http://www.xe.com/

I think we used XE and it got us a much better rate than PayPal or banks or other places :)

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.