amal

The MENA Sultan's Kitchen Cookbook

114 posts in this topic

I'm not sure I want a copy. When is the date we have to decide by? I've already gone through page by page of the Sultan's Kitchen post and copied the recipes I found interesting a long time ago. But you are welcome to take the recipes I've posted but some are copywrited so....*shrug*

I'm not really sure when the final decision date will be. I will leave the decision time open as long as possible though. i'm thinking end of November or so...but not 100% sure yet. I'll keep everybody updated as things progress.

Thanks for agreeing to let me post ur recipes! You submitted a lot of them!

I know some of us that were here when Sultans kitchen began will probably already have many of the recipes printed or written down. I just figured that as the newer members join and become part of our mena family, they may not have time to sift thru page after page if they're looking for something specific. I thought it would be cool to have it all in a book that is easy to grab and go for not only the newer members, but some of us old ones too.

(F) old and it shows (F) lol

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like 2 copies and $20 is a fair price and my vote is for title # 3.

Jul 20, 2006 Arrived in Amman, Jordan

Jul 24, 2006 Married in Amman, Jordan

Oct 11, 2006 I130 Approval Oct. 26, 2006 I129F Approval

Nov. 8, 2006 Recieved letter that I-129 was sent to Amman, Jordan

Dec 13, 2006 Recieved Package from Amman Embassy for K3 Intreview date Aug. 15,2007

Mar 05,2007 Embassy called interview scheduled for March 19th

Mar 19, 2007 Interview for K3- AP

May 20, 2007 Embassy called for Hasan to send in his passport!!!

May 24, 2007 Recieved Interview date of June 5th for CR1?

June 05, 2007 Interviewed and she said he was approved, kept passport and said will recieve in 4 days.

June 12, 2007 VISA IN HAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2007 Hasan arrived in the USA and so very happy!

June 26, 2007 Applied for SSN

July 06, 2007 SSN in hand

July 25, 2007 Green Card in Hand!

Aug 13, 2007 Behind the wheel test, Passed. Now has California DL

I-751

Mar 26, 2009 Sent in I-751

Mar 28, 2009 Proof received

April 1, 2009 check cashed

April 3, 2009 NOA Received

April 16,2009 received bio appt letter

April 24, 2009 Biometrics Appointment

June 6, 2009 Removal of Conditions Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 17, 2009 10 Year Green Card in hand!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Is this open for non MENA people as well? If so, I would love a cookbook. I have just recently started cooking from the Sultan thread and have enjoyed it tons - not to mention I am a total cookbook collector :yes: What a cool idea :D

Oh and $20 seems fair and I like all the names...probably #3 the best though.

I have no issue with you using my recipes or username. However I don't need a copy. I'm not sure why anyone would want to pay for something that is available online for free and can be printed out.

However I will say you should get everyones approval before using their recipes. Since you are going to sell these books for your own financial gain, you should make sure all the recipe owners are ok with this.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: Timeline

...and one of our members are no longer with us to give her permission. :(

I need hands on, in person, lessons on rice. :blush: Does oil really go in it? Ibrahim says yes, I never heard of putting oil in rice.

JP kiss your baby girls cheeks for me :)

jJ

hey jp,,,i need a new vj name :)

I need hands on, in person, lessons on rice. :blush: Does oil really go in it? Ibrahim says yes, I never heard of putting oil in rice.

jJ

I have never put oil on rice. Maybe he means browning it first before cooking, like you'd do w/ rice-a-roni?

I think its a great idea Amal. I love that you are always positive and bring a smile to my face. Plus Sultans Link is hard to sort through/print out each time when I can simply turn to a recipe book. To each his own...

Smile sweet cheeks! :wub:

BTW--about getting permission on recipes.

U.S. copyright law addresses recipes, but what holds sway can be called either ethics or etiquette. Cooking is not considered inventing; rather, it evolves. Copyright law specifies that "substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions," such as a cookbook, can be copyrighted but that a mere list of ingredients cannot receive that protection. The ethics guidelines of the International Association of Culinary Professionals focus on giving proper attribution to recipes that are published or taught. The association advises using the words "adapted from," "based on" or "inspired by," depending on how much a recipe has been revised.

So do your thing girl! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I think its a great idea Amal. I love that you are always positive and bring a smile to my face. Plus Sultans Link is hard to sort through/print out each time when I can simply turn to a recipe book. To each his own...

Smile sweet cheeks! :wub:

BTW--about getting permission on recipes.

U.S. copyright law addresses recipes, but what holds sway can be called either ethics or etiquette. Cooking is not considered inventing; rather, it evolves. Copyright law specifies that "substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions," such as a cookbook, can be copyrighted but that a mere list of ingredients cannot receive that protection. The ethics guidelines of the International Association of Culinary Professionals focus on giving proper attribution to recipes that are published or taught. The association advises using the words "adapted from," "based on" or "inspired by," depending on how much a recipe has been revised.

So do your thing girl! :thumbs:

:thumbs:

Citizenship (N-400)

09/15/2009 - Application mailed to Texas Lockbox

09/17/2009 - Delivered to the Lockbox

09/21/2009 - Check cashed

09/24/2009 - NOA dated 9/18/09

09/26/2009 - RFE mailed out dated 9/25 (biometrics notice)

10/14/2009 - Biometrics completed

01/01/2010 - finally an update - awaiting interview letter

02/08/2010 - interview (Garden City, NY) -- PASSED

03/03/2010 - Oath Ceremony in Brooklyn

03/13/2010 - U.S. Passport in hand

DONE!!!

I have no issue with you using my recipes or username. However I don't need a copy. I'm not sure why anyone would want to pay for something that is available online for free and can be printed out.

However I will say you should get everyones approval before using their recipes. Since you are going to sell these books for your own financial gain, you should make sure all the recipe owners are ok with this.

It isn't for my own financial gain. Here's how it all began...

I was looking thru Sultan's Kitchen and thinking about how I'd sure love to try one of the recipes. I didn't have a printer and didn't want to run the risk of spilling something on my laptop so I thought to myself, "an actual recipe book would be nice right now".

Then I thought about how my husband is needing new materials for his portfolio so he can show potential customers all of the different things he can do.

After that, I thought of all my MENA friends and wondered if any of them would be interested in a cookbook as well.

I didn't even think about charging for it until someone messaged me and asked how much they'd be. Then it hit me..uhh ohh..somehow I gotta be able to pay to get these things printed.

My plan is to only charge enough to cover printing and shipping. This is something I'm doing because I think it would be a lot of fun, NOT because I want to make money.

I hope that clears up my intentions a little bit.

I have put in most of my posts that if a person does not want their name used, they just need to let me know. That also goes for anybody who does not want their recipe to be used. I will gladly omit any recipe if the person that posted it is not "ok" with it being in the book. It is why I also went ahead and posted it for feedback BEFORE I went on and did all the work. I don't want anybody to be upset or feel that I'm violating their rights. I just thought it would be cool, is all. no worries :star:

Interview-December 2005

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Timeline

Oil in rice issue:

Depends on the rice. For minute rice - no oil. However in long grain or arborio rice I always use some oil. It keeps it from sticking together. I also toast my rice first. I put some oil in, then the rice, mix it around and let it toast up for 2-3 minutes, then add the water, simmer on low for 20 or so minutes stirring occassionally - that's it.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Yes, this book is for anybody and everybody who would like some awesome recipes related to MENA and our loving MENA households. :thumbs:

I always put about 1 tsp of olive oil in our rice before we cook it. It helps it to not be so sticky. (that is just what we do)

Thanks Nawal! I'll keep that in mind.

Edited by amal

Interview-December 2005

Timeline

jJ

I *always* put oil in rice... keeps it from sticking!

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Timeline
I will be interested in getting a copy of the book as well. Love the title ideas and the $20 price tag sounds fare.

P.S. Noura, please make sure that your recipe for the chicken with green olives and french fries is added as well. I made it this weekend and it was huge hit.

DC.

Green olives and French fries? Oh Noura would you please PM it to me! I made the b'stilla again for our aniversery, Kamal loves it!

I just added it to the Sultan's Kitchen... but to be fair, I got it from Jenn!. :thumbs:

Edited by ME~n~HIM

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

I always put a tablespoon or so of oil in the rice too for the no-sticking reason.

However, I had a friend from Egypt a few years ago who always put some oil in at the end of cooking. Once all the water was pretty much absorbed she turned the heat up again just a bit and poured in what seemed to me to be a lot but was probably only a couple of tablespoons of oil and let the rice brown on the bottom for a minute or 2. It made it kind of crusty and good but I've never attempted it myself.

and I would like a cookbook too :)

Edited by sara535

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.