nunyab

Mena house decorating in the U.S??

223 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Maybe a chocolate brown dupioni silk curtain???

I was going to go with the terquise and chocolate brown in my bed room... currently i have it in a romantic 30's 40's style lace curtains and all but not sure the man will dig it you know???? patch work quilts may not be his thing with flowers.

my cover on my couch is a navy blue with the orange chair i was considering a patterned throw rug over the tan wall to wall that will tie in all the colors not sure about about the chocolate brown curtains with the dark navy and bright orange unless i can tie it all together???? i am new at this so you obviously have more experience.... anyone would.

keep it coming i love it! And if i need to i'll sew the darn things...

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I've never done orange, but I like the idea. And the turquoise and chocolate brown sounds luscious!

Right now, I'm looking at slipcovers. My husband brought pillows that his mom and sister made, and they are heavy on the red, so I want to complement that. We've talked about bringing fabric back from Morocco the next time and having the sofa plumped up and reupholstered, but that's just a thought for now. Actually, some satiny pillows with corner tassels caught my husband's eye at Wal-Mart, and it would be really easy to make something like that to match our colors, as well as maybe add a border and tassels to the cross-stitched pillow covers his sister made since they have an all-white background.

I've looked at some instructions for making window seats out of prefab kitchen cabinet units. I think we could wrap those around three sides of a small room and add some upholstered cushions and it would be very much like a Moroccan sofa if the units were deep enough, plus we'd have a ton of storage underneath. That will probably have to wait until we have our own place though. And I need a source for nice, thick foam on the cheap.

I like the henna lamps I saw in Morocco. We didn't bring any back, but it made me wonder how henna designs would do on something like unbleached muslin or a natural lampshade, something the light can shine through. The real ones are made of animal skin, and the ones I saw were just dyed, not patterned, so I don't know how fabric does with henna drawings. I picked up some scraps but haven't sat down to experiment yet.

I'd love to do some tile work, but our place is also rented, so we're thinking of laying out small tiles on the coffee table and covering it with a piece of glass. I've also thought crocheting an afghan with a Meknesi tile pattern to hang on the wall, but it's been years since I've had that kind of time. There may be an easier option, a quilt maybe, although I don't know if that would really save much time. Maybe plastic canvas -- but plastic canvas always reminds me of Kleenex box covers. :D Actually, though, bet I could do a quick tile pattern with the plastic canvas and use that under glass on the coffee table instead. Might look awful, but it wouldn't be a ton of money wasted if it didn't work out...and it could still be reborn as a Kleenex box cover.

Right now, our decor is still shabby-chic (or I like to call it that -- better than "hand-me-down"). To put my ideas in motion, I need more time, a little money, and less clutter.

Great topic. I love reading everyone's creative ideas.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline
I've never done orange, but I like the idea. And the turquoise and chocolate brown sounds luscious!

Right now, I'm looking at slipcovers. My husband brought pillows that his mom and sister made, and they are heavy on the red, so I want to complement that. We've talked about bringing fabric back from Morocco the next time and having the sofa plumped up and reupholstered, but that's just a thought for now. Actually, some satiny pillows with corner tassels caught my husband's eye at Wal-Mart, and it would be really easy to make something like that to match our colors, as well as maybe add a border and tassels to the cross-stitched pillow covers his sister made since they have an all-white background.

I've looked at some instructions for making window seats out of prefab kitchen cabinet units. I think we could wrap those around three sides of a small room and add some upholstered cushions and it would be very much like a Moroccan sofa if the units were deep enough, plus we'd have a ton of storage underneath. That will probably have to wait until we have our own place though. And I need a source for nice, thick foam on the cheap.

I like the henna lamps I saw in Morocco. We didn't bring any back, but it made me wonder how henna designs would do on something like unbleached muslin or a natural lampshade, something the light can shine through. The real ones are made of animal skin, and the ones I saw were just dyed, not patterned, so I don't know how fabric does with henna drawings. I picked up some scraps but haven't sat down to experiment yet.

I'd love to do some tile work, but our place is also rented, so we're thinking of laying out small tiles on the coffee table and covering it with a piece of glass. I've also thought crocheting an afghan with a Meknesi tile pattern to hang on the wall, but it's been years since I've had that kind of time. There may be an easier option, a quilt maybe, although I don't know if that would really save much time. Maybe plastic canvas -- but plastic canvas always reminds me of Kleenex box covers. :D Actually, though, bet I could do a quick tile pattern with the plastic canvas and use that under glass on the coffee table instead. Might look awful, but it wouldn't be a ton of money wasted if it didn't work out...and it could still be reborn as a Kleenex box cover.

Right now, our decor is still shabby-chic (or I like to call it that -- better than "hand-me-down"). To put my ideas in motion, I need more time, a little money, and less clutter.

I love your ideas but also rent so will have to wait. I am loving the tile on the coffee table idea wow !!!! great way to have the MENA feel and rent at the same time.

I didn't see those henna lamps ??? :blink: but i am telling you now next trip I don't care what they say I am SHOPPING and i am only bringing two outfits and a huge suitcase. :star:

I've also thought crocheting an afghan with a Meknesi tile pattern to hang on the wall, but it's been years since I've had that kind of time. There may be an easier option, a quilt maybe, although I don't know if that would really save much time. Maybe plastic canvas -- but plastic canvas always reminds me of Kleenex box covers. :D Actually, though, bet I could do a quick tile pattern with the plastic canvas and use that under glass on the coffee table instead. Might look awful, but it wouldn't be a ton of money wasted if it didn't work out...and it could still be reborn as a Kleenex box cover.

ooohhhhh great idea... do you have any pic ideas?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

In Jordan a lot of times they hang curtains outside on the porch to cover the front door...like at the entrance to the porch...I always liked that and want to do something similar at our home.

Inside I want to make an arabic living room after Esmat gets here....I think that will be so nice to have...we have two so we can still have couches in the first one and make the second one more arabic....the one we sit in the most. I just need to find the big long cushions.....anyone know where to get them for a reasonable price? I am thinking I could probably find them in Philly in the city somewhere relatively cheap...then just need to find some nice fabric and cover them. And need to find a coffee table with short legs....or make one from a regular coffee table.

Deb :star:

Timeline
In Jordan a lot of times they hang curtains outside on the porch to cover the front door...like at the entrance to the porch...I always liked that and want to do something similar at our home.

Inside I want to make an arabic living room after Esmat gets here....I think that will be so nice to have...we have two so we can still have couches in the first one and make the second one more arabic....the one we sit in the most. I just need to find the big long cushions.....anyone know where to get them for a reasonable price? I am thinking I could probably find them in Philly in the city somewhere relatively cheap...then just need to find some nice fabric and cover them. And need to find a coffee table with short legs....or make one from a regular coffee table.

Deb :star:

how are you planning on doing the arabic sitting area??

I like the idea of curtains on the outside too but i live in seattle :wacko: nothing ever can stay dry here

If I had the money to do so I would decorate my place total Moroccan style

I just love it! And I am trying to buy things little by little from over there to decorate our place

right now I live in a very small 1 bedroom apt...it is just a slow process like this whole journey

i guess at least I have time to "get ready" if you will for his BIG ARRIVAL :whistle:

If I had the money to do so I would decorate my place total Moroccan style

I just love it! And I am trying to buy things little by little from over there to decorate our place

right now I live in a very small 1 bedroom apt...it is just a slow process like this whole journey

i guess at least I have time to "get ready" if you will for his BIG ARRIVAL :whistle:

oranges of various hues are my favorite colors

pinks with oranges..delightful

i dont want to paint my apt..even tho i could...extra money and too much work...eventually we are going to move

ONCE he gets here and works and we can get some more money for it

I think it sounds nice what you are doing. Nothing makes me feel better more than doing a little decorating and spicing the home up. I change up my bathroom about every two years. Just changed the bedroom up with completely new furniture early this year. I've slowly been working on my living room, but don't have the money for new couches yet. For now I got the curtains and wall hangings I want. My entertainment center is fairly new so if I can just change up the couch, get a love seat and change the in-tables, I could be set. If only my husband could get here and get any kind of job then it could free up money for this!

I love the chair you picked. It looks nice and comfy. I'm sure a them with the colors you mentioned would look really nice.

S and S

I hear ya doll!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I just rearranged my entire living room / dinning area... too bad I didn't want to spend any money on new things :blush: but just moving the arrangement around can really make a difference. I'm heading out to goodwill today to see what I can find.

You should have seen my husband's face when he came home to find the couch in the middle of the room :rofl: I just said "honey, I've been calling you to come home for the past 3 hours to help me" :innocent:

I now have a new "home office" in half of the living room with my desk right up agains that sofa with a good view of the TV and window. Before the desk was to one side with a nice view of the eggshell white walls and no storage space. I did buy a book shelf to complete the L shape thing I've got going on.

I'll let ya'll know if I find anything at good will :thumbs:

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

OOHH....Ok, I've been working on my apartment the past few months. I've started with the living room. I wish I could paint my walls - I mean, I could. I'm sure my landlord wouldn't mind - but I dont feel like buying the paint and I also think I'd have to paint it back when I moved out. Bleh.

So...I've tried to incorporate as many warm colors into my living room as I can - and on a budget of course! For starters, I wanted full curtains. I always used valances only, so I looked around and found some brown sheer curtains on www.domestications.com I also had a small orange throw rug I brought back from Marrakech. I bought a print on allposters.com too of an aerial view of carpets in Marrakech. And I have some pouffes that my hunny bought be in Marrakech too...Here's a pic where you can kinda see all this stuff....The only thing that clashes is that vintage Illinois travel poster but I found a Morocco vintage travel poster on Ebay that I'm going to replace it with. My couch is gonna go eventually. I hate it! I want something darker colored Maybe even a chocolate brown. And I do have some throw pillows from Morocco, but my friends are sitting on them...haha....

livingroom.jpg

Then I replaced my Ikea lamps (which I loved them, but didnt' match the decor) with these lamps I found at Target that are warm colored:

Target lamps

After the lamps, here's a recent pic and you can see the lighting...(except you can't see the lamps!) But there's a difference in the lighting...(ignore my friend's goofy looks....and also note the shisha that's on an Oberweiss dairy bottle... :P )

lvlighting.jpg

The other side of the room, which I can't find pics of at the moment (at least on my facebook or photobucket accounts), have decor that I got from Morocco, and a wall hanging my soon to be father in law brought from Hajj last year. I also have one wall with black and white prints of Morocco I took in November and January and are arranged in a montage type way. I'm probably going to have them replaced with color ones soon.

:)

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-07-11 AOS packet mailed (and supposedly delivered the same day)

2009-07-15 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765 (USCIS rec'd date is 07-12)

2009-08-05 Case transferred to CSC

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

2009-08-25 - received Biometrics appointment letter!

2009-08-27 I-131 (AP) approved

2009-09-15 Biometrics appointment

2009-09-15 EAD Card production ordered!

2009-09-23 EAD Card received

2009-10-06 GC approved/card production ordered

2009-10-13 GC received in the mail!

Timeline

love the poster ideas.. thank you I will take before and after pics for y'all and financially speaking it will be a few weeks but whatelse am i going to do. Your room looks wonderful btw and your friends happy mashallah

Orange is really "in" this year. And blue is on the opposite of the color wheel so... it goes! :)

sereia..what a great blend my favorite 2 cultures...MOROCCAN AND INDIAN...nice

I saw Ravi Shankar last night, the guy is 88 years young! :thumbs:

I would definitely hang a curtain to cover those verticle blinds *shudder* I hate those blinds with a passion!!!

I would get fun with patterned pillows and possibly the curtains. Hard to say without seeing what you've got already!

Here's a photo of an orange/blue room. Its not MENA inspired but it helps you pick a color palette! hgtv

Great link!!! ty... yeah covering those blinds is a must i hate all the white so stale and sterile

omg white blinds are the worst...and they get so dirty

i am so tired of that

i am not very creative either....i am so plain...i am ready for the first time in my life to spice it up

i have never put much effort into decorating except for the nurseries for my children..i mean I have never really settled in any place for too long as of yet

Nawal....those twins are growing and so sweet!!!

wanna know somethin???? :secret: I got my comfy couch at Value village for $25.00 and the dark blue cover brand new in the package for $5.00... hehe i just can't get rid of it... it's soft and comfortable and i can wash the cover any time....

That is an awesome deal. The couch cover I bought was for a lot more. I don't think we have a Value Village here, but I should try to keep an eye out. Maybe I will get lucky.

you know it is that Luck!! I saw on the news that discount places like value village, good will etc are having an increase in sales by 6% this year. wonder how nordstrum is doing? :whistle:

S&S, have you tried looking at Craigslist and freecycle.com in your area? I can't tell you how many amazing deals I have found on both!

great reminder i'll be hitting those too why not??? :star:

Rajaa I forgot to add that I didn't have any cool ideas for you. LOL. I am so far away from MENA style in our home. Hehe. I'm not particularly fond of it. Love it when I'm there but not here in my house.

I do dig the Oriental themed styles. Go figure.

i am doing the orange as part of the MENA look but now i am being convinced it's the new "in" color... I am adding the black though did you see the chair that i am purchising??? tell me what you think Nawal

rajaa

you hit the nail on the head

second hand and thrift shops are making a killin this year

i have been out of that loop for too long

i am going to start hitting those markets again

if i go to the main line and the more "well off" areas

you find THE BEST stuff with all the MAJOR LABELS :thumbs:

Timeline

I love your ideas but also rent so will have to wait. I am loving the tile on the coffee table idea wow !!!! great way to have the MENA feel and rent at the same time.

I didn't see those henna lamps ??? :blink: but i am telling you now next trip I don't care what they say I am SHOPPING and i am only bringing two outfits and a huge suitcase. :star:

I've also thought crocheting an afghan with a Meknesi tile pattern to hang on the wall, but it's been years since I've had that kind of time. There may be an easier option, a quilt maybe, although I don't know if that would really save much time. Maybe plastic canvas -- but plastic canvas always reminds me of Kleenex box covers. :D Actually, though, bet I could do a quick tile pattern with the plastic canvas and use that under glass on the coffee table instead. Might look awful, but it wouldn't be a ton of money wasted if it didn't work out...and it could still be reborn as a Kleenex box cover.

This is sort of the idea on the lamps: link

The ones I was looking at there didn't really have drawings on them -- more just the color of the henna and the shape of the frame. Some were quite tall, and the ones I liked would have been a nightmare to carry home. My husband and I have found wire frames similar to this in craft stores that might work and are thin enough to be pliable. But I have a lighted CD rack of dark wood with a frosted plastic panel that the light shines through, and I'm thinking of starting with replacing that panel with some dyed fabric (with a low-heat bulb!). Looks like an easier way to start. I like peaceful lighting and little fountains.

Actually, I'd love a very, very toned-down and smaller version of something like this as a bathroom sink in my dream house, with the mirror set back in there. Of course, it could not be nearly that busy, but I'd like to keep the shape and the color scheme. I just like the tile so much -- just makes me happy to look at it. Part of why I like it, though, is the texture, the shine and the coolness of it. I like stuff I can touch. So the crochet I mentioned before wouldn't really fill the bill completely, but it would capture the pattern and the colors.

I might be better off just building a doll house. :lol:

I'm the USC.

I always swear that the "next time" i am bringing $1,000 JUST FOR SHOPPING!

and the same issue about suitcase space...yeah right, me bring just 2 outfits...I am definitely obsessed with packing a ton of clothes... :yes:

Timeline
OOHH....Ok, I've been working on my apartment the past few months. I've started with the living room. I wish I could paint my walls - I mean, I could. I'm sure my landlord wouldn't mind - but I dont feel like buying the paint and I also think I'd have to paint it back when I moved out. Bleh.

So...I've tried to incorporate as many warm colors into my living room as I can - and on a budget of course! For starters, I wanted full curtains. I always used valances only, so I looked around and found some brown sheer curtains on www.domestications.com I also had a small orange throw rug I brought back from Marrakech. I bought a print on allposters.com too of an aerial view of carpets in Marrakech. And I have some pouffes that my hunny bought be in Marrakech too...Here's a pic where you can kinda see all this stuff....The only thing that clashes is that vintage Illinois travel poster but I found a Morocco vintage travel poster on Ebay that I'm going to replace it with. My couch is gonna go eventually. I hate it! I want something darker colored Maybe even a chocolate brown. And I do have some throw pillows from Morocco, but my friends are sitting on them...haha....

livingroom.jpg

Then I replaced my Ikea lamps (which I loved them, but didnt' match the decor) with these lamps I found at Target that are warm colored:

Target lamps

After the lamps, here's a recent pic and you can see the lighting...(except you can't see the lamps!) But there's a difference in the lighting...(ignore my friend's goofy looks....and also note the shisha that's on an Oberweiss dairy bottle... :P )

lvlighting.jpg

The other side of the room, which I can't find pics of at the moment (at least on my facebook or photobucket accounts), have decor that I got from Morocco, and a wall hanging my soon to be father in law brought from Hajj last year. I also have one wall with black and white prints of Morocco I took in November and January and are arranged in a montage type way. I'm probably going to have them replaced with color ones soon.

:)

Ohhhhh yeah, looks great! And I love the lamp. You have poufs! I forgot -- I have one packed away that a Turkish student gave me when I was a kid. It need to be mended a bit and stuffed, but it would work.

I remember seeing a show where someone used spray adhesive to affix colored tissue paper to a background in a sort of random geometric pattern to make a wall hanging. Where the pieces overlapped, the colors blended. There was some texture, too, since the tissue paper wasn't completely smooth. I don't know how it would look in real life, but I liked it.

I'm the USC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.