honey19_sweety28

when to apply a citizenship

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
thanks for all the input i just called the uscis they told me that i only have to do is filed the ar11 online then after that look at the lower right corner it will i ask me if i have a pending application and what is it I-751 put my receipt number and new address, then lady said to call back again after 2-3days to make sure I am on the system. my mistake was i just filed the ar11 i didnt read the choices below if i have a pending application or not...she said it has two different system ar11 and my pending application... and wait for the confirmation number in my mail box... That's all

Who's talking here, the AR-11 is for the immigrant, the I-865 is for the sponsoring USC. Did you ask about both?

Strange I was the I-864 sponsor of my wife, but was never made aware of the I-865,

Yes you were. The I-864 says

Do I Have to Report My Change of Address If I Move?

Federal law requires that every sponsor report every change ofaddress to the USCIS within 30 days of the change. To do this, send a completed Form I-865, Sponsor's Change of Address, to the Service Center having jurisdiction over your new address.

That text appears right on the I-864 instructions, which are part of the I-864 pdf that you download and fill out. You can see it here:

USCIS I-864

Also, note that, just a wee bit above your signature on the I-864, it says:

If you do not file a properly completed Form I-865 within 30 days of any change of address, USCIS may impose a civil fine for your failing to do so.

The requirement for the I-865 is separate from the requirement for the AR-11. If both the sponsor and beneficiary move, they've got to submit both forms, even if they're sharing the same household both before and after the move.

See you also had a long timeframe with the I-751, completely forgot about that section in the I-864 instructions, it wasn't a very comforting form to read, kind of like sticking your head in a guillotine. Ha, did put a note on my refrigerator door in case we moved, but didn't for the I-865, but no problem, never moved.

But probably would have if I recalled the I-865, first, I have this insatiable urge to fill out forms, and second and most important, the filing charge for the I-865 is $0.00, you don't see very many USCIS forms with a zero dollar filing fee.

Shame the USCIS doesn't print out a huge poster in red print with all the things you have to do, really have to dig deep to find this stuff. Like they are trying their best to hang you.

Bad news just got off to the uscis customer representative today because the form I-865 bothers me. i called yesterday but they never told ur to do it but today when i called again the lady told me it is very important that my husband filed I-865 within 30 days of change of address or i will pay a fine between 2000 to 5000 dollars...we never knew about this we are both very busy working and its been 4 months since we bought our house...lady told me that we will get a mail if we will pay the fine or not...we are so stupid not calling uscis about it we thought it wasnt a big deal. anyone have same situation about us? oh my gosh i dont want to pay 5000

DELIGHT YOUR SELF TO THE LORD AND HE WILL GIVE THE DESIRES OF YOUR HEART

I-130 petition for my dad

06-01-2009 package sent

06-10-2009 check cashed

06-13-2009 noa 1 rec'd

09-10-2009 approved

09-25-2009 nvc assign case

10-01-2009 paid AOS fee

10-10-2009 mailed i-864

10-14-2009 paid iv bill

11-01-2009 got rfe

11-09-2009 sent the missing doc

11-28-2009 got email case completed

01-08-2010 interview APPROVED. 01-11-2010 visa on hand

Shame the USCIS doesn't print out a huge poster in red print with all the things you have to do, really have to dig deep to find this stuff. Like they are trying their best to hang you.

It would be nice if they highlighted the important stuff.

Problem is, there's too much important stuff to highlight. And if everything is highlighted, the result is that nothing stands out.

Furthermore, some of it only becomes important under some circumstances. In our case, we didn't move between the first visa and the final citizenship oath, so the I-865 wasn't something we needed to know about in our circumstances. So they shouldn't have highlighted the I-865 for us, but for others, it deserves more emphasis. And on the day they fill out the I-864, many people don't know whether or not they'll be moving before the I-864 terminates.

It's like tax forms. I wish they'd make a form that highlights all the deductions I qualify for, and leaves out all the stuff that doesn't apply to my situation, so I know what to skip over. But they're not going to do that.

your right i am very worried now called uscis found out that my hubby need to submit i-865 and we will gonna have a fine from 2000 to 5000 depends on their decision...im still hoping not 2 get a fine because it say in a form that if we get a public assistance....i am working 2 jobs but my worry is its been 4 months since we move to our house...anyone have the same situation as mine please write a comment thanks

DELIGHT YOUR SELF TO THE LORD AND HE WILL GIVE THE DESIRES OF YOUR HEART

I-130 petition for my dad

06-01-2009 package sent

06-10-2009 check cashed

06-13-2009 noa 1 rec'd

09-10-2009 approved

09-25-2009 nvc assign case

10-01-2009 paid AOS fee

10-10-2009 mailed i-864

10-14-2009 paid iv bill

11-01-2009 got rfe

11-09-2009 sent the missing doc

11-28-2009 got email case completed

01-08-2010 interview APPROVED. 01-11-2010 visa on hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.