WhidbeyGirl

Foods while in Senegal

83 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline
I found some of the meat pies contained meet of unknown heritage. They call it bush meat which is anything they choose to throw in including a species of giant rat raised like we do rabbits. I remember when we were at market that the cuts of beef where heaped into a wheel barrow and sold by this man pushing it around. There was a lot of rice and noodles. There is also lots of broths that were usually spicier than I liked but his family would make some milder for me. I ate a lot of bananas and oranges. You don't find a lot of dairy products either. The homes I stayed at didn't have ovens either so if you are cooking you may only have a cook top.

Yep, hence my motto, no meat or very little in Africa. If you do, check for parasites when you go back home.

My SO eats roasted rat on a stick. ;)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Most of my travels are around Lagos and Enugu areas. I try to eat native as much as I can, where is the adventure in eating american in another country ? I did ok actually, avoiding lettuce was hard because at home I love my salads but lettuce just traps water which isn't pure enough there. I don't mind the different meats. They did laugh at my reaction in the market to the fried whole giant rats. One of the tricks of surviving eating in strange places is not to get too curious about the exact content of the dishes.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Most of my travels are around Lagos and Enugu areas. I try to eat native as much as I can, where is the adventure in eating american in another country ? I did ok actually, avoiding lettuce was hard because at home I love my salads but lettuce just traps water which isn't pure enough there. I don't mind the different meats. They did laugh at my reaction in the market to the fried whole giant rats. One of the tricks of surviving eating in strange places is not to get too curious about the exact content of the dishes.

:thumbs::thumbs: right you are :thumbs::thumbs:

Filed: Other Timeline
I found some of the meat pies contained meet of unknown heritage. They call it bush meat which is anything they choose to throw in including a species of giant rat raised like we do rabbits. I remember when we were at market that the cuts of beef where heaped into a wheel barrow and sold by this man pushing it around. There was a lot of rice and noodles. There is also lots of broths that were usually spicier than I liked but his family would make some milder for me. I ate a lot of bananas and oranges. You don't find a lot of dairy products either. The homes I stayed at didn't have ovens either so if you are cooking you may only have a cook top.

yep, I encountered a restaurant in ghana that sold "bushmeat" sandwiches and stews :angry: , no one had to tell ME :o what the hell they were referring to ;) , Uno just by passed that tid bit and ordered french fries w/ketchup :whistle:

I am all that the Potter created me to be.

I celebrate, liberate and dedicate my life to His Glory.

I Am Uno!

Yep, hence my motto, no meat or very little in Africa. If you do, check for parasites when you go back home.

(unoz imaginaaaation.......)

omobaz hubby "have some babe?"

omoba "okay, smells delish"

omoba "umm, honey...what is this peculiar flavor, not quite chicken??"

omobaz hubby "ohhh, nooo, silly ghurrrl, its de rrrrrat on da stick!!"

omoba "aarrrrgghhhhhhh"

okay, UNOz visual is done..... :blink::rofl::rofl:

Edited by UNO...

I Am Uno!

Timeline

omoba "aarrrrgghhhhhhh"

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: oh she likey de rat :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Senegal
Timeline

I am an adventurous eater so bear that in mind when I say this, but I love Senegalese food (and there are all types)! True enough the cuisine is very much meat based, but I do know that those same dishes can be made without it. If you are going to be doing the cooking you shouldn't have any problems. There are lots of vegetables available to buy. And I think you can bring pretty much anything to cook whatever food you like, though of course I wouldn't try to transport perishables. Since you are not in Dakar you won't have the benefit of a wide range of other choices for food. In Dakar there are alot of different types of restaurants, but when you go further inland not so much. Lebanese/Middle Eastern foods are very popular in Senegal so you will find a lot of vegetarian style foods like falafel and humus. However the further you are from Dakar the more scare are the establishments that would have this type of food.

I brought pudding, applesauce, cookies and things like that, which don't need to be refrigerated and those in handy. What I find is my family over there loves this type of stuff also! I always run out when I go there.

Omoba: You are welcome girl! You know it was our pleasure. ;)

omoba "aarrrrgghhhhhhh"

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: oh she likey de rat :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

bwhaaaaahahaaaaa, rofffffflllllm"mf"ao :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I Am Uno!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Y'all have me in stitches!!!!!!!!! I need to lose 80 pounds so I guess this 3 weeks will be a great start! :) SO doesn't have a microwave, but didn't think to ask about a oven that'll be the next email.

Chocolate will definitely have to be in my luggage!! No dairy products??? :o Darn! Cheese is a daily requirement in my household :lol: Guess I won't be making my specialty Cheesy Chicken Enchilada's - I need 2 pounds of cheese. Hmmmm.

So basically the kinds of foods I take along on a camping trip will suffice.

I'll attempt to be adventurous.

THANKS for the laughter and the advice/ideas woven in too.

Edited by WhidbeyGirl

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Timeline

P and Uno you guys crack me up....................heck no , no meat for me, I know way too much about parasites to be adventurous regarding foods that is ......... :whistle:

I leave ya'll sitting on the toilet screaming uhhhhh what is that thank you very much ! :devil:

Parasites aren't no joke ! Gimme my beef jerky.

Even the doctor in S/L advised my SO to stay away from meat at times........... :yes: now you know it's bad !

Timeline
P and Uno you guys crack me up....................heck no , no meat for me, I know way too much about parasites to be adventurous regarding foods that is ......... :whistle:

I leave ya'll sitting on the toilet screaming uhhhhh what is that thank you very much ! :devil:

Parasites aren't no joke ! Gimme my beef jerky.

Even the doctor in S/L advised my SO to stay away from meat at times........... :yes: now you know it's bad !

By beef jerky she means rat jerky :rofl::rofl::rofl: oh so tasty and conveiniently :rofl: located :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Timeline

omoba "aarrrrgghhhhhhh"

That was very accurate Uno ....you even got my famous aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh scream down. :D

WG, you can still make that meal with cheese while in Dakar go buy the cheese packaged in a supermarket.

Tambacounda is 8 hours by bus, think it'll still keep well? Also will I find Colby and Mozzarella?

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.