e-migra

What's wrong with American milk?

88 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
bleah...instant coffee is an abomination and should be outlawed under all circumstances :P

If you have a Dutch Oven there's a wonderful no-knead bread recipe over at Mother Earth News. I made it and its absolutely delish! Nice crusty bread (which I will point out that my American husband and his family were all rather suspicious of until they bit into the bread! Yes, to them bread is suposed to be mushy :P ) It takes about 18 hours all told, but it is well worth it, and really for the time, its pretty effortless.

I agree re the instant coffee, but my mum promised to give us a cafetiere (French press, I think it's called here) for Christmas, so we don't want to buy one, and in the meantime instant is easy :D

no Dutch Oven... perhaps I should invest in one :)

though I rather like kneading bread... why is not kneading it supposed to be an advantage?

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I can remember my grandfather telling me that the pasteurization and homogenization ruined milk. He once found some raw milk at the local feed store and bought it and I think he drank the whole gallon that day. He said that raw milk had a fat content of 7 to 8% but what you buy in the store as while milk is only 4% so it must be getting thinned out. I don't know because I have never drank raw milk.

Working on AOS

Filed: Other Timeline

I've read recently of a small town farmer who is being charged by the state health dept. for selling raw milk. Seems its illegal in all US states to sell raw milk :wacko:

I've had raw goat milk. My Aunt used to have a goat. I've considered getting one, but I dunno how the dogs would react to it! :lol:

As for not kneading bread, not all of us enjoy doing that, so having a knead free recipe is good. Some of us are just too lazy ;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I've read recently of a small town farmer who is being charged by the state health dept. for selling raw milk. Seems its illegal in all US states to sell raw milk :wacko:

I've had raw goat milk. My Aunt used to have a goat. I've considered getting one, but I dunno how the dogs would react to it! :lol:

As for not kneading bread, not all of us enjoy doing that, so having a knead free recipe is good. Some of us are just too lazy ;)

that is what a bread machine is good for :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't drink milk at all, or that other stuff that is made. But my kids did notice right off when we moved here that the milk is different but they still drink it so i guess its not too bad.

I have a bread maker, but prefer making bread the old fashion way. But when i'm really lazy i use the bread maker on the dough only setting to kneed the dough and rise then i will put it in a bread pan to cook it in the oven. I think it taste better in the oven.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I don't drink milk at all, or that other stuff that is made. But my kids did notice right off when we moved here that the milk is different but they still drink it so i guess its not too bad.

I have a bread maker, but prefer making bread the old fashion way. But when i'm really lazy i use the bread maker on the dough only setting to kneed the dough and rise then i will put it in a bread pan to cook it in the oven. I think it taste better in the oven.

yeah I do that too..

and I haven't noticed a difference in the milk.... it tastes the same to me...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I do think the milk here is different than even back home.. I know a lot of the foods are. Bread is an excellent example.. I mean ####### are people putting in their food in this country? I shouldn't need a phd in chemistry just to figure out what the 50 "chemicals?" are in a loaf of plain white bread? Ok back home breads had some preservatives in them but not on this scale. I remember reading maybe a dozen things on the list not 30, 40 or 50!... Bread and milk are just the tip of the iceberg foodwise..

I feel like they'll put any old $hit in our food now just to make more from less and increase profit margins.. Just like the well published milk scare in China recently and the animal food scare not too long ago.

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I dont keep my cows in barns ..... any wya..we have a major pasturizing and processing that occurs here. things added make it tasty in american eyes..and mouths.stillnot the same as getting it right from th cow.

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
...I mean ####### are people putting in their food in this country?

The Evil, of course! :P

I completely agree with you re the profit margins... and as each generation gets used to things being crappier, they won't even make a fuss... it's worse than a shame; it's disgraceful :angry:

isn't it the pasteurisation/homogenisation laws that make the cheese here such a pale shadow of its former self, as well? :unsure:

do any of you bread-makers know where to get whole grains to add to home-made bread? I'm a relative beginner - have so far only made bread from flour, water and yeast, with no additions, so any advice would be useful!

oh, and I don't have a bread machine, so it needs to be stuff I can do myself ;)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I shall be buying a bread maker as soon as I get to the US. So I can make my own wholemeal bread, I love the stuff but didn't see any on sale when I was in the US couple months ago.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

German Chocolate ROCKS!!!!

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

...I mean ####### are people putting in their food in this country?

do any of you bread-makers know where to get whole grains to add to home-made bread? I'm a relative beginner - have so far only made bread from flour, water and yeast, with no additions, so any advice would be useful!

oh, and I don't have a bread machine, so it needs to be stuff I can do myself ;)

I use a bread machine but I add grains to my wholemeal bread just before it proves.

You can get wholewheat bread but it isn't the same as the decent seeded stuff you can get in the UK - Hovis anyone!? Ohhh for some real bread :D Maybe I should get off my behind and make some ;)

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I love milk... but I don't usually drink it... I had a gallon a day+ habit... but I will say that milk in the store has a variety of tastes even with the same brand, depending I guess on how well it was transported, sometimes it's incredibly delicious, and sometimes not. It could be a matter of the cow having a bad milk day, or the milk got too cold or too warm at some point before it got to you, or maybe sat on a loading dock too long while the store was stocking... but fresh off a farm milk is definitely different, I personally prefer the stores milk, ESPECIALLY if the cow on that farm found some onions or other strongly flavored weeds, bleck! Fresh milk isn't legal to sell for human consumption, it pretty much has to say something along the lines of for live stock only or pets or something like that, I forget the wording. Powder milk, is #######, as much as I loved milk when I was a kid I wouldn't drink the stuff, it was that bad (and I was far from a picky eater).

Onto the crystals in the coffee, those aren't just any crystals, they are flavor crystals, which is really short for flava-flave crystals, that's right, those crystals are actually diamonds for decorating your grill! Didn't folgers use to include a giant time piece in specially marked cans? I got curious about what they were (thinking probably sugar or salt or something that might just help keep the coffee grounds from becoming damp) and could only find this presumably top secret article.

Panera breads makes the kind of bread you foreigners might like... tough as nails, extra chewy, dip your coffee in it in hopes of making it possible to bite through... but only to find that bread is still tough as clint eastwood.... I don't know if Panera breads is a local chain or national though, but if you look around no doubt you can find a place that sells the kind of bread you foreigners like... the best kind of bread is fresh bread... but I'll take a can of biscuits any day (the flakey layers or golden wheat kind... apparently some places think of a can of biscuits means cookies). What about english muffins? They are common in stores, definitely different from the bulk of the bread isle, edible for those that don't like american bread? I like to toast english muffins, and eat them with some scrambled egg with those pre-cooked jimmy dean sausages chopped up and mixed in... and now I'm hungry.

Filed: Timeline

You can find them in an organic grocers and in the baking/cereal/organic aisle of some supermarkets.

You can get wholewheat bread but it isn't the same as the decent seeded stuff you can get in the UK - Hovis anyone!? Ohhh for some real bread :D Maybe I should get off my behind and make some ;)

See if your Walmart carries Arnold Natural Wheat Original Brownberry Recipe or some of the other Arnold Natural products. They're quite good.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.