What's wrong with American milk?

88 posts in this topic

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I had a nice glass of whole milk this morning and thought of this thread. It was deeeeelicious!

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

wow, I cannot THINK how you've managed to score so many hearts and boxes, when you spend so much time on each and every post :P

our coffee has weird sort of shiny flakes in it :unsure:

it looks like salt crystals... and while I can't expect any great quality from ANY instant coffee, it's most off-puttting

even if Dave just rolls his eyes and laughs when I make a fuss :P

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

I thought it was just cr@p in the water StP ;)

As for milk - we get fat free and I think it tastes just fine :) I'm no milk connoisseur but it doesn't taste bad at all to me :)

Seconded on the bread though... I have mentioned it before but bread is meant to be SAVOURY and not taste like cake :rolleyes: We tend to stick to bagels, English muffins or other such bready things. Every now and then for a treat we will get a proper seeded loaf that has been freshly baked but Jeremy actually doesn't like crusty bread :unsure:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Timeline

I know! the poor people here have been brought up to be most distrustful of anything that isn't processed within an inch of its life... the suspicion with which my 'made from scratch' pancakes and banana bread and pizza bases (etc) have been met!

and the flakes in the coffee are there in the jar, Jeraly ;)

like, before you add the water ;)

Dave says it's just some quirk of the manufacturing process, but it's not NACHERAL, I tells ya :P

*ignores the fact that instant coffee is, by very definition, not natural* ;)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
wow, I cannot THINK how you've managed to score so many hearts and boxes, when you spend so much time on each and every post :P

our coffee has weird sort of shiny flakes in it :unsure:

it looks like salt crystals... and while I can't expect any great quality from ANY instant coffee, it's most off-puttting

even if Dave just rolls his eyes and laughs when I make a fuss :P

It sounds like you have Folgers crystals!! According to their adverts back in the day (when I was a wee kiddo) the crystals were what made the coffee the best. Now drink up and stop complaining! :P

In fact, according to their website, Folgers® Instant Coffee Crystals are carefully roasted to give you the right balance of flavor and strength. Enjoy the eye-opening aroma today!

:lol::lol::lol:

RE: Milk. I really don't like milk much, other than in cereal and skim here tastes the same to me as the skim I had in my cereal in the UK.

I know! the poor people here have been brought up to be most distrustful of anything that isn't processed within an inch of its life... the suspicion with which my 'made from scratch' pancakes and banana bread and pizza bases (etc) have been met!

and the flakes in the coffee are there in the jar, Jeraly ;)

like, before you add the water ;)

Dave says it's just some quirk of the manufacturing process, but it's not NACHERAL, I tells ya :P

*ignores the fact that instant coffee is, by very definition, not natural* ;)

People treat that with suspicion?! That's just weird... homemade is the BEST!!

And if the flakes are in the jar then that is... not right... I mean, we have a coffee maker that was given to us for free (that is rolling around in the back of Jeremy's van right now :rolleyes: ) but we have instant too - just the cheapy store brand stuff and that doesn't have flakes in the jar... At least I don't think...

*runs to check*

Well whaddya know!? There aren't many which is why I never noticed them but sure as hell they are there!!!! They are probably some kind of miniature tracking devices so Big Brother can continue to watch us... maybe there is a special immigrant blend of coffee?! :lol:

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Timeline

yes, Julez; they're Folgers crystals... I don't like 'em :unsure:

Dave reckons they were an accidental by-product of the processing system which Folgers then decided to make an advertising point... I don't know where he gets his cynicism, I'm sure :whistle:

and Jeraly, to be fair, the most suspicion was expressed about the pancakes, because they're not thick and fluffy and poured out of a bottle which had been shaken for thirty seconds :wacko: however, I'm gradually winning everyone round on that point ;)

and the other comments have come because I have married into a family that seems incapable of deviating from a recipe, by ONE IOTA :lol:

so the fact that I see the recipe as a starting point, and keep fiddling about with ingredients, and don't *gasp* level my cups of things with a ruler, has made them all rather afraid :D;)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Instant Nescafe also has those weird floaties, that's why I prefer the other type of coffee. But every now and then we'll make it with the instant kind and I just let it sit there so the floaties can dissolve and then stir.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

and Jeraly, to be fair, the most suspicion was expressed about the pancakes, because they're not thick and fluffy and poured out of a bottle which had been shaken for thirty seconds :wacko: however, I'm gradually winning everyone round on that point ;)

and the other comments have come because I have married into a family that seems incapable of deviating from a recipe, by ONE IOTA :lol:

so the fact that I see the recipe as a starting point, and keep fiddling about with ingredients, and don't *gasp* level my cups of things with a ruler, has made them all rather afraid :D;)

:lol: We have very few measuring instruments so almost all of our cooking is done by eye ;) I know roughly what a tablespoon is and what a teaspoon is... I get a bit confused by quarts and cups still but... I just whack it all in and hope for the best ;) I must say I prefer to try a recipe by the book first then make changes once I have tried it and if there is a nice sounding recipe that has something in that I don't like then I just change it for something else :D I made chicken and Italian sausage with capers last night and left out the broth because it was too watery last time - it was much better :D

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Timeline

be aware, just to add to the japes and high jinks that is living in America, that UK cups and US cups are different :D

I bought some new cup measures at Big Lots for $1 :lol:

I figured that was a permissable expense ;)

and I just use a dessert spoon for a tablespoon, and a teaspoon for a teaspoon ;)

I don't buy Nescafe at all because of the milk formula thing :unsure:

you can read more here if you don't know what I'm talking about ;)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Filed: Other Timeline

bleah...instant coffee is an abomination and should be outlawed under all circumstances :P

If you have a Dutch Oven there's a wonderful no-knead bread recipe over at Mother Earth News. I made it and its absolutely delish! Nice crusty bread (which I will point out that my American husband and his family were all rather suspicious of until they bit into the bread! Yes, to them bread is suposed to be mushy :P ) It takes about 18 hours all told, but it is well worth it, and really for the time, its pretty effortless.

back on topic, I never drink milk on its own anyway, and since milk went up to $4 a gallon, we've only been using powdered skim milk. Its fine in coffee, tea and cereal.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I personally was surprised to see how short the "Best by" dates are.

Me too!

I noticed Milk sours here really fast!

I'm used to 2% or skim milk and my hubby always buys whole milk. I can't stand the stuff.

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.