thetreble

In need of your real estate help!

92 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

We recently bought a house. When it comes to loan, make sure you compare the GFE (which incl. the PITI payment, closing cost, interest, down payment) from different source. What we did, we went to our local bank & to a mortgage broker & compare the 2 GFE & pick one better for us. What I did, I posted the GFE on a credit message board & several mortgage brokers gave opinion on the GFE you received. It's almost like VJ but for credit related.

Edited by tom&tata

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
We recently bought a house. When it comes to loan, make sure you compare the GFE (which incl. the PITI payment, closing cost, interest, down payment) from different source. What we did, we went to our local bank & to a mortgage broker & compare the 2 GFE & pick one better for us. What I did, I posted the GFE on a credit message board & several mortgage brokers gave opinion on the GFE you received. It's almost like VJ but for credit related.

:blink:

Could you please say that in English?

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Mandy, we're in the burbs of Philly, Haddon Township / Collingswood / Cherry Hill area.

Also, the other thing about making an offer for a home in the U.S. is that it seems like there's a lot more flexibility after you make the offer. In Canada, it seems that once you make the offer and it's accepted, it's legally binding and very difficult to retract. In the U.S. it can be conditional on financing or the home inspection and it SEEMS LIKE (not absolutely sure) that you can get out if it's not meeting your needs. I'm not a real estate expert, but that was my experience.

So, if you really want a place, you can make an offer you're happy with. They don't need to accept it. Or they can negotiate with you.

The process is very stressful, so hang in there!

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Mandy, we're in the burbs of Philly, Haddon Township / Collingswood / Cherry Hill area.

Also, the other thing about making an offer for a home in the U.S. is that it seems like there's a lot more flexibility after you make the offer. In Canada, it seems that once you make the offer and it's accepted, it's legally binding and very difficult to retract. In the U.S. it can be conditional on financing or the home inspection and it SEEMS LIKE (not absolutely sure) that you can get out if it's not meeting your needs. I'm not a real estate expert, but that was my experience.

So, if you really want a place, you can make an offer you're happy with. They don't need to accept it. Or they can negotiate with you.

You can write in those same conditions in Canada, also. :thumbs:

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You can write in those same conditions in Canada, also. :thumbs:

That you can krikit!!

1 thing I noticed here when mortgage shopping, is once you get your mortgage interest rate locked in--prior to closing, its locked in. Where as in Canada (at least my experience) your approved mortgage rate can change prior to closing. if its lowers prior to closing, u get that rate, if it went high, you keep the rate u were approved at.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I know what you mean Krikit. It just seems a little more loosey goosey here. Maybe because the real estate market was pretty hot in Canada when I was buying and selling.

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

1 thing I noticed here when mortgage shopping, is once you get your mortgage interest rate locked in--prior to closing, its locked in. Where as in Canada (at least my experience) your approved mortgage rate can change prior to closing. if its lowers prior to closing, u get that rate, if it went high, you keep the rate u were approved at.

Yeah, that was another thing that made me go "Whaaat...?".... having to lock in prior to closing. :angry:

iagree.gif

Timeline

The mortgage guy kept on asking me if I wanted to lock in the rate. I was like..#######..I haven't even gotten the mortgage or house yet? aha

Here is the place we found. Nix the 80s furniture, this beauty I hope to be our future home. We decided we would like to move into a big condo because of it's affordability and because we might not have time for the upkeep of a house at this point in our lives.

Here are some pictures of it. There are two large bedrooms and they both have their own full bath! It would be great for my parents or friends to come visit and for them to have their own bathroom.

It also has a finished basement.

I can't believe someone still has furniture like this. It was pretty wild.

getImagedo.jpg

condo1do.jpg

condo3.jpg

condo2jpeg.jpg

We will be putting in an offer on Tuesday so wish us luck :)

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

:blink:

Could you please say that in English?

Sorry :blush:

GFE is good faith estimate. You need to receive those prior to locking in the rates or everything so you can compare. The estimate will have the closing cost, PITI (principal, interest, taxes, insurance) monthly payment, down payment requirement, rates, etc. If you do not need a mortgage, you do not have to worry about it.

Rates fluctuates but how much they charge you for closing cost & everything else should not vary too much.

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Timeline

Yes. I got a few GFE's to compare the pricing. With one of the companies, because I am in a union at work, they give me $500 off closing costs. That is a lot of money. But it is good to shop around.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Yes. I got a few GFE's to compare the pricing. With one of the companies, because I am in a union at work, they give me $500 off closing costs. That is a lot of money. But it is good to shop around.

Hey Amanda,

Good luck with that! It looks really nice and i'm sure you and your Husband will be very happy there :)

Ohmygoodness, Amanda, that house is gorgeous! But, OMG AT THE FURNISHINGS!!!!! :rofl:

Ooops. Sorry if anyone has any furnishings like that. :blush: *snort*

Sorry :blush:

GFE is good faith estimate. You need to receive those prior to locking in the rates or everything so you can compare. The estimate will have the closing cost, PITI (principal, interest, taxes, insurance) monthly payment, down payment requirement, rates, etc. If you do not need a mortgage, you do not have to worry about it.

Ohhhh, okay. Thank you.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.