egm

should i worry if my fiance's sister is my roommate?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

my petition for my fiance has been approved and i already received a letter from NVC that it is on it's way to USEM. i found this forum when i was researching to make sure we got everything right and reading through, i found a thread about visa getting denied simply because you are in close contact with your fiance's relatives.

i have known my fiance since i was sixteen, him being my best friend's brother. but, we only started our relationship about a year ago. his family was here (sisters and nieces/nephews) last year for a visit and since her sister is my roommate, their family lived with us at the time. one time he called when they were not here and i happened to answer the phone. we got to talking and it led to more phone calls. our relationship started a few months after that.

i went to see him early this year and we decided to marry. we finally told our families and i petitioned him as fiance. in the letter included in the application, i said the same thing about how we met. but now, i am worried that this may be more an issue when they interview him.

i think we have enough evidence to prove our relationship (letters before and after the petition, emails, cards, photos.) but now i worry that he will be under investigation or worse, denied, simply because his sister is my best friend. it will really kill me if they interrogate him simply because of this. we are not that young anymore (i'm on my thirties, he's on his forties, just a few years apart) so we both know what we're getting into.

i did not pay for a lawyer because i thought the process is easy. it was and so far, we haven't had any problems (not even RFE!) i make enough money so it shouldn't be a problem if it comes to that (i mean, getting a lawyer.)

i guess what i'm trying to get posting this is some kind of assurance that we'll be OK. if not, is there anything we should do now to prepare for the worse? i have read really good advices from vj members, so i thought i ask now and be ready.

thank you for any advice you can give me.

Edited by egm

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi EGM, It is easy to get fearful after reading some of the horror stories on these web sites. The main thing is to establish a strong relationship, and to have submitted errorless documents. Don't get in to a panic. VO's will look at how many times you visited, pictures, financials, correspondence etc. This will tell them how strong the relationship is.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

thanks, that made me feel a little bit better.

here's the thing, although we've known each other for a long time, our relationship is relatively "young". so far, i only visited him once. we have been in constant communication but because of my work, i cannot take a vacation at a moment's notice or whenever i feel like it. besides, i'm trying to save up my vacation days so when he gets here, i'll have more time to spend with him.

you're right, i'm in some kind of panic mode. i know a lot of other members here can relate...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

hard to say on something like this just have enough to prove your case, there have been some married and the subject still came up about family in the US (of course im talking Morocco) and they do crazy things sometimes

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Just so I understand this, you are saying that there have been cases where because the petitioner knows the respondents family, the case is denied? Why? They think maybe you are only doing it to help your friends get their family member into the US? That type of thing? If that is so, I think the advice people gave you is very sound. Just show that your relationship is genuine. You know, when the relationship is for real I found it wasn't hard to prove it. I had so much evidence I had to cut back. If they want more evidence, I have a lot more I can give them. If you talk to him by internet, then save your chat logs. If there are questions, they really show how routine you and he talk. I only sent a few chat logs, the first one and a recent one. Then I sent the log for my calling card that shows I call everyday when she is at work and no internet is available. Two years of logs is pretty powerful. It wouldn't matter if I knew her family, that is hard evidence. So far, I sent the normal stuff, pictures of us together, travel reciepts, photographs.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
thanks, that made me feel a little bit better.

here's the thing, although we've known each other for a long time, our relationship is relatively "young". so far, i only visited him once. we have been in constant communication but because of my work, i cannot take a vacation at a moment's notice or whenever i feel like it. besides, i'm trying to save up my vacation days so when he gets here, i'll have more time to spend with him.

you're right, i'm in some kind of panic mode. i know a lot of other members here can relate...

Just another rumor - but when you choose your chatlogs it indicate an on going relationships it seems that they like ones where you are discussing your future together. It can be small things - "I did this, when you get here we should do it too" or future plans: "my friend is getting married in September next year - hope you will be here so we can attend it together" but it shows not only that you are talking now, but also that you have plans together for the future.

In the end I think we are all in at least low level panic mode ... Having no controle over something that is central to your life and your future is very difficult. At least we have this site, that can help us avoid the biggest pitfalls, and hopefully show is that it does work out well for most of the people.

Beni

2008-09-22: Mailed I-129f package.

2008-09-25: NOA1

2009-01-13: RFE

2009-02-17: NOA2

2009-02-25: NVC

2009-03-03: Package 3

I was/am best friends with my wifes cousin. Np problems as we had lots of proof of a bonafide relationship. I advise you make another trip. COs ALWAYS ask how many times you met.

More the better. If nothing else try and make it to his interview.

Just my 2 cents after being denied the first time around.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline
I was/am best friends with my wifes cousin. Np problems as we had lots of proof of a bonafide relationship. I advise you make another trip. COs ALWAYS ask how many times you met.

More the better. If nothing else try and make it to his interview.

Just my 2 cents after being denied the first time around.

Why were you denied the first time around, if I may ask?

I am not, per se, afraid that we'll be denied, but I've learned to trust no written or other rules or requirements and am, at least, doubtful when it comes to everything being about proving a real, bonafide relationship. Yes, we do have one, but I have no idea what to expect when we finally get to talk to a CO.

My fiance has visited me here in Croatia two times so far (both times he stayed here for about 3.5 weeks). His third visit should be before or right for the interview, whenever it happens. I have tried, and of course have proof of that, to get a B2 visa four times, all of which were denied. The only reason we've seen each other twice is, well, that. I couldn't get a tourist visa and he can't travel more often because of work and other things that keep him tied to the US. Is that enough, the two times plus him being here, third time, for the interview (or for a longer period of time around the interview, if possible due to work and the like)?

I-129F Sent: Aug 20th 2008

Interview Date: April 8th 2009, 10:30 - APPROVED!

K-1 Visa Received: April 9th 2009

POE: Aug 8th 2009, Minneapolis

Wedding: Aug 28th 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our I-129f was approved in 107 days from our NOA1 date.

Our I-129f was approved in 114 days from our filing date.

Our case spent 52 days being chewed by NVC.

Our interview took 224 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS, AP, EAD filed: Oct 15th 2009

Biometrics: Nov 24th 2009

AP received: Dec 14th 2009

EAD received: Dec 17th 2009

Green Card received: Dec 18th 2009

http://www.badgerella.com/forum

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.