WhidbeyGirl

How much $

82 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

whidbeygirl,Will you be staying in Dakar long enough to get your marriage license?

I-130 Sent : 03-08-2007

I-130 NOA1 : 03-19-2007

I-130 Approved : 06-06-2007

NVC Received : 06-20-2007

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 07-09-2007

Pay I-864 Bill : 07-10-2007

Receive I-864 Package : 08-02-2007

Returned I-864 Package : 08-03-2007

Return Completed DS-3032 : 07-04-2007 (e-mailed)

NVC confirmation of the e-mail : 07-16-2007

IV fee bill generated : 07- 23-2007

Receive IV Bill : 08-02-2007

Pay IV Bill : 08-06-2007

IV Fee entered into NVC's system : 08-21-2007

DS-230 generated : 08-27-07

Receive Instruction Package : 09-14-07

Submit Ds-230 and originals to NVC : 09-20-07

DS-230 Delivered to NVC : 09-21-07

DS-230 Accepted at NVC : 09-25-07

Case Completed at NVC : 10-05-07

Visa in hand : 11-25-08

NVC Left : 11-15-07

Packet 4 received-petitoner : 11-19-07

Consulate Received :

Interview : 12-13-07

AP: 12:13:07

2nd interview: 11-20-08

Visa in hard:11-25-08

Entered US: 12-16-08

Green Card received: 01-05-09

SS card recieved: 01-07-09

First Job: 01-20-09

In school: 06-08-09

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DEECEE - do we not get the license on the day we get married?

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Senegal
Timeline

WhidbeyGirl:

It sounds like Omoba gave you an idea of what the situation may be like for you in Senegal. I didn't read through all of the responses so if I ask a question that you already answered I apologize in advance.

Okay....I just deleted everything I wrote because I decided to go back and read your responses. :-) So here is my amended post: My situation when I was first travelling there is different than yours, so I am writing from the perspective of what I would do. Since you will be mostly in Thies and Tambacounda, you should be fine with the amount of $ you are going to bring. But I am saying this w/o the benefit of knowing your personal situation, like whether you are handling all of the expeses. Whether or not you are really doesn't matter, but just make sure to get a firm handle on what needs to be paid for prior to leaving home so you'll be prepared for the costs. I totally agree with what reeses said about letting your S.O. handle the $$, especially since this is your first visit.

The exchange rate seems to have gotten better over the last few months so I think it is now 475-500CFA to every 1USD. What I usually do is take a certain amount of $$ with me, exchange it immediately after arrival and then leave the rest in my bank account at home for emergencies. There are ATMs in downtown Dakar, usually there is at least one working. Or if all else fails you can use the ATM at the Sofitel in downtown, right off the Place d'Independence. I don't know about the ATM situation in Thies. There is also a Bureau De Change in downtown that I use. If your fiance is picking you up from the airport you can exchange money there because they give you a pretty good rate, but watch your back because sometimes they want to take a hefty "commission."

With regard to clothing, I think that you should be conservative if you are travelling to Tambacounda. And by conservative I mean cover your legs and arms, but especially your legs. In Dakar and probably in Thies as well, you should be alright in capris or something like that, but I would stay away from wearing shorts or short skirts.

I think Omoba said this already but never, ever leave home w/o tissues or toilet paper. You definitely don't want to be caught in a bind!

Feel free to PM if you want.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Timeline
WhidbeyGirl:

It sounds like Omoba gave you an idea of what the situation may be like for you in Senegal. I didn't read through all of the responses so if I ask a question that you already answered I apologize in advance.

Okay....I just deleted everything I wrote because I decided to go back and read your responses. :-) So here is my amended post: My situation when I was first travelling there is different than yours, so I am writing from the perspective of what I would do. Since you will be mostly in Thies and Tambacounda, you should be fine with the amount of $ you are going to bring. But I am saying this w/o the benefit of knowing your personal situation, like whether you are handling all of the expeses. Whether or not you are really doesn't matter, but just make sure to get a firm handle on what needs to be paid for prior to leaving home so you'll be prepared for the costs. I totally agree with what reeses said about letting your S.O. handle the $$, especially since this is your first visit.

The exchange rate seems to have gotten better over the last few months so I think it is now 475-500CFA to every 1USD. What I usually do is take a certain amount of $$ with me, exchange it immediately after arrival and then leave the rest in my bank account at home for emergencies. There are ATMs in downtown Dakar, usually there is at least one working. Or if all else fails you can use the ATM at the Sofitel in downtown, right off the Place d'Independence. I don't know about the ATM situation in Thies. There is also a Bureau De Change in downtown that I use. If your fiance is picking you up from the airport you can exchange money there because they give you a pretty good rate, but watch your back because sometimes they want to take a hefty "commission."

With regard to clothing, I think that you should be conservative if you are travelling to Tambacounda. And by conservative I mean cover your legs and arms, but especially your legs. In Dakar and probably in Thies as well, you should be alright in capris or something like that, but I would stay away from wearing shorts or short skirts.

I think Omoba said this already but never, ever leave home w/o tissues or toilet paper. You definitely don't want to be caught in a bind!

Feel free to PM me if you want.

I really should READ more closely! LOL! Upon first reading, I understood that you were planning to bring $1000. But now after closer reading I see that you were advised to bring $1000. Personally, I don't think I ever spent that much in Senegal and I stayed there longer than you will be on some occasions, but I can see how having access to that amount might make you feel comfortable that you have backup...just in case. Refer back to what Omoba said that she travelled with, and I think that amount would probably serve you well, especially since you will not be in Dakar most of the time.

WhidbeyGirl:

Feel free to PM if you want.

Thank you Taurean.

Clothing - well, as I said I don't have shorts (or capris for that matter) but the skirts and dresses I have, some are short, but definitley nothing with long sleeves. How do you handle the heat wearing long sleeves? Just curious. I'll make a trip to the second hand store and hopefully find something because all I have either short/no sleeve and sweaters/sweatshirts. I talked with my SO about it because I was worried I would need to be completely covered to respect the Muslim culture. He told me not to even worry about it to wear whatever I felt comfortable in and also because he is going to have a few dresses made for me.

As far as money, right now I might be able to gather $500 to go, assuming I sell no tools this month and my parents don't offer any money to me.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

TOTAL 80 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

TOTAL 29 DAYS

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

Timeline

WG:

Well...this is the thing with dress...my philosophy when I travel is to respect the culture. And to be frank with you, sometimes men don't really understand "how to dress." They will say to wear whatever makes you comfortable, but in reality that might not be the proper thing to do. Are all of his friends Christian, or are some Muslim? I ask for this reason: Let's say while in Tambacounda and you are visiting a home, and the family there is very traditional, you don't want to roll in with arms and legs uncovered. At least this is my personal feeling. You just don't want to find yourself in a uncomfortable situation. Since this is your first trip I think you should stick with long skirts and maybe short-sleeved or even 3/4 length shirts. If your SO is having dresses made for you, then those should be fine and will likely help you to feel more comfortable. Make sure to tell him to have the dresses made with the wrap style skirt since these fit pretty much any size. Take different types of lightweight shirts (short sleeved, tanks, long sleeved) and as you assess the situation, you can modify accordingly.

In Dakar, if I wasn't wearing skirts, I did wear jeans and lightweight khakis. Those wrap skirts that they sell on the streets are really handy as well!

Thanks again Taurean. I understand about the men not understanding issue - LOL! He is taking me to the tailors to have the dresses made for me so they wil fit properly :). The wrap skirts sound good though too. Should I bring jeans or just leave them at home?

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

TOTAL 80 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

TOTAL 29 DAYS

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

Timeline
Thanks again Taurean. I understand about the men not understanding issue - LOL! He is taking me to the tailors to have the dresses made for me so they wil fit properly :). The wrap skirts sound good though too. Should I bring jeans or just leave them at home?

You are quite welcome! I would bring jeans, one pair, maybe two if you have room in your bag. If they are light weight denim, even better. Good thing with getting fitted for your dresses first. Sometimes people want to do something nice and *think* they know your size. LOL That never works for me!

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

What I would do when outside of Dakar is wear short sleeves and cover with a very light shawl. I recently bought some nice ones. You can also go to a fabric store ( I found some in an older Walmart )and find some light summer chiffon type material and just throw it over your top and take it off when away from people.

Dakar is more progressive and no problem and people know you are American and understand. Just don't wear mini skirts :o

Filed: Other Timeline

hello WG,

if you need some shawls, lemme know. I can send you two maybe 3 (colors are white, gold and black).

I have no need for them and 2 of them never worn. as far as toiletries, I took along flushable baby wipes. I divided them nightly for the next morning and carried them in ziplocks, works just fine. also, for shirts, check out some of the "anchor" stores at the malls in the mens dept. and look for t-shirts on clearance. I found some that were 3/4 length in multiple colors and very breathable. if possible, get some leggings in addition to cargo pants for comfort. good luck on your trip.

UNO (F)

p.s. the shawls can also be used as a sarong in use with the leggings.

I am all that the Potter created me to be.

I celebrate, liberate and dedicate my life to His Glory.

I Am Uno!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Couple of things. A good pair of jeans can serve you pretty well. But with other clothing think about whether or not the material is quick drying or relatively wrinkle resistant. I don't know if you and your SO will be sending your clothes out for laundry. But I washed mine by hand and line dried them, you don't want to bring many things that take 2-3 days to dry.

Try to pack as light and versatile as you can. Covering your hair can be important in some situations. I recommend getting a black wave cap and a black stretch headscarf. Put the cap on first (fits like a swimming cap) then cover with the headscarf; that way all your hair is in. You could get them both at Sally's beauty supply or the African-American section in the hair care aisle at any Wal-mart or drugstore. Before traveling I never used to cover my hair and using the cap and scarf together made it fool proof. Plus, I could keep them in my bag and if plans changed I could put it on quickly.

Edited by reeses16

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Personally I am telling her to take plenty of money, no matter what, bottom line you are traveling to another country. You should prepare yourself for anything. Travel as though you DONT have someone there to count on, you dont know what could happen. If you are relying on someone and they end up not following through or something happens and that person is no longer a factor, do you have enought money to get you through the trip? What if you DO have to pay for lodging? What if ALL of your bags are lost and you need clothes ect. Just because you take enough money to be prepared DOES NOT mean that you have to SPEND it all. I dont care what color you are, it does not make sence to travel around the world unprepared for what may or may not happen. Come on be people be smart and responsible for yourself.

I agree. You never know what to expect. I firmly believe a woman should always be prepared to take care of herself, no matter what. If it turns out to not be needed, bring it back with you. Always have a Plan B, though.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

My visit to Nigeria was 2 weeks....I took 300 US dollars, atm card and a credit card for emergencies. I was too afraid to have a large amount of money on me. Credit card came in handy, was able to use it for the Sheraton in Lagos. I just called credit card company upon return and had them flag it for a fraud alert, because I told them I used it when I traveled out of the country.

****Removal of Conditions ****

7/13/09 Sent I-751 application VSC

7/16/09 Package arrived at VSC at 2:08pm signed by D. Renaud

7/24/09 Rcvd I-797C, NOA from VSC

7/29/09 Rcvd Biometric letter...biometrics appt 8/18/09

11/24/09 Rcvd ROC approval ltr...dated 11/18/09

12/04/09 Rcvd 10 yr Green Card in mail

Covering your hair can be important in some situations. I recommend getting a black wave cap and a black stretch headscarf. Put the cap on first (fits like a swimming cap) then cover with the headscarf; that way all your hair is in. You could get them both at Sally's beauty supply or the African-American section in the hair care aisle at any Wal-mart or drugstore. Before traveling I never used to cover my hair and using the cap and scarf together made it fool proof. Plus, I could keep them in my bag and if plans changed I could put it on quickly.

Can't do this. Nothing goes on my head, I cannot tolerate it. I know it's the culture and everything but I can't do this, I have a hard time even putting my hair up in a pony tail. I think I'd eat fish before I put something on my head and I fish makes me gag. I'll cook myself in long sleeves and have my legs covered for the sake of culture and hope my effort is appreciated.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

TOTAL 80 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

TOTAL 29 DAYS

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.