Slavo's Draga

Police cert. in every country since age 16 concern

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello All-

This is my 1st time posting.

My fiance lives in the UK since age of 22 (he has legal right to remain- he is Croatian citizen).

I am wondering if he has to go to Croatia to get old certif. of if this is something his parents can obtain and send him.

Has anyone had any experience with obtaining the police certfi. from other countries?

Also can any one recommend where I can go to find out more about the definition of a "passport". Since my love is there on a sort of refugee status he is not allowed a Croatian passport but does have a "travel document" that works similar to passport. I have read in the FAM that passport can be nontraditional (a combination of a number of docs may serve as the passport.)

Thanks-

Slavo's girl

K-1 sent- July 1

NOA #1- July 23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Each country is different- for example the Swiss police cert can be obtained by filling out an online form and then send a copy of your passport by snail-mail. Best option is to check the Croatian' embassy's website or contact them directly, they should have details on how to obtain the police cert.

Not sure about the "definition of passport" issue- I know normally, a passport is required for a visa to be issued. Maybe contact the US consulate to see if the travel doc is enough, but I doubt it.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Hi,

With regards to the police certificate, his parents can get it for him and he doesn't need to be there in person. They will need to take with them some sort of ID as the Court official will ask for it (could be domovnica, ID, passport either British or Croatian). It is fairly simple and quick process... it took my mum two days, one to go there and one to collect it. She had to come back because she didn't have any sort of ID from me otherwise it could have been done then and there. So as soon as I faxed it over to the court they issued it without any difficulties. And don't forget to have it translated. :)

As to the passport, if he can't get Croatian, why hasn't he applied for British yet? I was a refugee and now have both Croatian and British passports. Being refugee doesn’t preclude you from applying for a passport of either country unless he is cannot obtain proof that he was born in Croatia or was involved in the war in the 90's against Croatia.

Sorry I can't be of much help re. passports but if you need any further info about police certificates, please let me know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AOS timeline

I-485,I-765 & I-131 sent: 07-27-2009

Arrived at Chicago lockbox: 07-29-2009

NOA (for all 3): 08-03-2009

Transfer to CSC: 08-26-2009

Touched I-485: 09-01, 02, 03 & 04-2009

Biometrics appointment: 09-02-2009

AP received: 09-18-2009

EAD card received: 09-21-2009

AOS approved: 10-15-2009

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fed8ac68ff.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

[quote nAs to the passport, if he can't get Croatian, why hasn't he applied for British yet? I was a refugee and now have both Croatian and British passports. Being refugee doesn’t preclude you from applying for a passport of either country unless he is cannot obtain proof that he was born in Croatia or was involved in the war in the 90's against Croatia.

Hi, He is waiting for his Brit citizenship to go thru. Its been since March and we didn't want to delay his coming here and joining me so we went ahead and filed the fiancee visa. He hasn't heard anything for the UK citizenship yet (he called a week ago and they said he should be patient, ugh...)

He wasn't involved in the wars in the 90s (thank God) He was too young....

Thanks-

Hi, He is waiting for his Brit citizenship to go thru. Its been since March and we didn't want to delay his coming here and joining me so we went ahead and filed the fiancee visa. He hasn't heard anything for the UK citizenship yet (he called a week ago and they said he should be patient, ugh...)

He wasn't involved in the wars in the 90s (thank God) He was too young....

Thanks-

Good luck with the UK citizenship. I don't know what the situation is now but I had to wait 15 months to get it and that was some 10 years ago. Also he might want to be careful when enquiring about it from the British government as it is given to you on premises that you are planning to permanently settle in the UK. If they know that he's already on his way out, they might think twice of giving it to him. But don't panic too much about it because it might have changed (I'm sure it has) since I've been through the process and the permanent settlement might apply for naturalisation only. Also something else to think about is whether he can get British travel documents being a citizen only... not sure if he needs to be naturalised first. And that takes more time….

Good luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AOS timeline

I-485,I-765 & I-131 sent: 07-27-2009

Arrived at Chicago lockbox: 07-29-2009

NOA (for all 3): 08-03-2009

Transfer to CSC: 08-26-2009

Touched I-485: 09-01, 02, 03 & 04-2009

Biometrics appointment: 09-02-2009

AP received: 09-18-2009

EAD card received: 09-21-2009

AOS approved: 10-15-2009

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fed8ac68ff.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.