Ling Ling

I'm an American everywhere else...

96 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Same goes for my comrades with Mexican ancestry,

They are referred as Mexicans, Hispanics, Chicanos, Mexican Americans and Latinos.

People born here should be called US citizens or Americans; this can be mistaken though, since people born in South, Central and North America can be called Americans as well.

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

They are referred as Mexicans, Hispanics, Chicanos, Mexican Americans and Latinos.

People born here should be called US citizens or Americans; this can be mistaken though, since people born in South, Central and North America can be called Americans as well.

wellllllllllllllll in fact i was born in Guatemala but i am American lol so guess there is nothing on the paper other than citizen that i can put lol

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
You would think that if there were so many 'people' interested in advancing the race dialogue in this country to a point where racial distinctions didn't exist, they'd refer to people for what they were- people.

Agreed.

On many forms where it asks for "race", I select "other" and write in "human".

:rofl:

Very good!

Throw them off a little more... ** sapiens

As a rule of thumb, yes, that is what people should be called. However, different cultural origins- specially those practiced concurrently to US Citizenship or Residence... should be up to each practitioner.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yeah...I think we all have a good idea of where the term comes from. It's meant to be a way for good ole boys to keep from calling me

a ***, negro, colored or black. The thing is, ####### do ANY of those terms have to do with me except insult me, and try to strip away my heritage.

Thanks to the way my family was brought here...I have no other heritage than an American one.

I don't have any aunts, uncles, or cousins in Africa. Everyone I'm related to was born in America.

People who came through Ellis Island can trace their heritage...they can say "My grandfather came from blah blah county in Dublin", I can't.

My heritage was stripped from my ancestors...and they were literally forced to work like slaves.

Today when people say, "I'm working like a slave today", it's a fcuking joke. Slaves didn't work for low pay, they worked for NO pay.

Plain and simple, African-American is just as much of an insult as is ***, colored or black. It says absolutely nothing about who I am, or what I'm capable of.

Circumstances of birth (and actually nationality as well) are random, and nothing to be proud of or ashamed of....they just are.

But the fact is, I was born in a place called America...not a place called Africa-America.

That place only exists in small minds...not in reality.

Your ideas are intriguing and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Seriously, this is right on. I knew a guy who told this story about his South African (Africaans) girlfriend. She goes to the DMV and the black lady reads over her form and objects to her checking "African-American" on the form. In her thick SA accent, she says "who are you to say what I am? I'm more African than you are: I was born and raised there!"

Also reminds me of this F-15 pilot interviewed on one of those midafternoon estrogen shows (Oprah, Ellen etc.). He was asked something about being an African-American pilot and he immediately objected to the term. He said (paraphrasing) I'm an American first and foremost and my racial background has nothing to do with my citizenship.

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Seriously, this is right on. I knew a guy who told this story about his South African (Africaans) girlfriend. She goes to the DMV and the black lady reads over her form and objects to her checking "African-American" on the form. In her thick SA accent, she says "who are you to say what I am? I'm more African than you are: I was born and raised there!"

IT's funny you say this. A South African lady I work with also said something similar at the DMV. She is white. When asked if she should check african-american, the lady at the counter said, "but you are not black". How silly are some people in this world.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

my dogs like to be called canine americans

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Interesting thread. I sometimes refer to myself as Irish American...mainly in the fact that I'm proud of both my Irish and American background. But honestly if I was to spell it all out I would have to say that I'm Irish English Welsh Czech American lol. But I guess the way I look sort of lends credence to the Irish part of my genetic background.

There is nothing wrong with feeling one way or another...it's a matter of personal preference. I tend to prefer to use African American as I don't think of my friends of that background should be labled solely as a color (just as it is rather insensitive to call someone of Asian background "yellow"). Colored doesn't really work either as we are all colors and negro for obvious historical reasons. I always saw it as simply the best way to describe someone of that particular background.

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

Were it not for your previous comment...nevermind.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

While I think that it is sad that our country uses those labels in as many places as they do, they are needed in some areas such as fair employment, banking(well was once needed in the day and age of in person loan applications), and other areas where racism was once/is a factor in day to day life. This country has come a long way in a short time in the form of racial progress , from our grandparents time to the new generation, compared to other countries which is a great thing but not enough to where there is no discrimination based upon ethnicity. So places still have to keep those terms around in case some one questions their hiring/loaning , or whatever practice it is, for easy access to the company or organization questioning them. Thank god that we have made such advances here that you rarely hear of cases where companies hire such few races that they are reported for discrimination but at one point this was a huge problem. Now its all based on education and previous job performance, I wonder how many companies passed up on Bill Gates for not having a college degree before he became one of the richest men in the country. I hope that one day that section becomes obsolete but until we dont have anymore ignorant people that cant see that humans are humans it is an added defense for those they wish to discriminate against no matter of what ethnicity they are discriminating.

Were it not for your previous comment...nevermind.

:thumbs: just a joke brother..be thick skinned here...

and yes, this site is full of frustrated comedians...

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Timeline
Interesting thread. I sometimes refer to myself as Irish American...mainly in the fact that I'm proud of both my Irish and American background. But honestly if I was to spell it all out I would have to say that I'm Irish English Welsh Czech American lol. But I guess the way I look sort of lends credence to the Irish part of my genetic background.

There is nothing wrong with feeling one way or another...it's a matter of personal preference. I tend to prefer to use African American as I don't think of my friends of that background should be labled solely as a color (just as it is rather insensitive to call someone of Asian background "yellow"). Colored doesn't really work either as we are all colors and negro for obvious historical reasons. I always saw it as simply the best way to describe someone of that particular background.

Please explain what this background is.

Why do we always feel it necessary to describe and judge people by things they have little or no control over, rather than the traits that actually define who they are?

I mean, when will we say "Do you mean my friend John who's a liar, a cheat, and will drive this country into the toilet or my friend Barack who's very intelligent, a great speaker, and has some innovative ways of planning for the future"?

Instead, we talk about the old guy and the Black guy.

Because I'm associated with a STEREOTYPICAL background, mostly cultivated by the media and entertainment industry, people PREJUDGE that I like certain music,

certain clothing, certain cars, and certain sports, which I actually do not.

One of the MOST ridiculous stereotypes of racists is that people of this particular background are lazy.

They forget that these are people who for hundreds of years built this country called America through hard labor, for long hours without smoke breaks, without vacations, and without pay.

Does that sound like lazy?

LingChe NVC Guide

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

.png

Maybe it is time to drop any qualification from the appelet? If one is American, one is American, no need to quantify that with your genetic racial features. I have a suspicion that these 'genetic' profiles do serve to perpetuate division. Why do we need for example to break down voting patterns by race? It's ridiculous and wrong in my opinion.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline
While I think that it is sad that our country uses those labels in as many places as they do, they are needed in some areas such as fair employment, banking(well was once needed in the day and age of in person loan applications), and other areas where racism was once/is a factor in day to day life. This country has come a long way in a short time in the form of racial progress , from our grandparents time to the new generation, compared to other countries which is a great thing but not enough to where there is no discrimination based upon ethnicity. So places still have to keep those terms around in case some one questions their hiring/loaning , or whatever practice it is, for easy access to the company or organization questioning them. Thank god that we have made such advances here that you rarely hear of cases where companies hire such few races that they are reported for discrimination but at one point this was a huge problem. Now its all based on education and previous job performance, I wonder how many companies passed up on Bill Gates for not having a college degree before he became one of the richest men in the country. I hope that one day that section becomes obsolete but until we dont have anymore ignorant people that cant see that humans are humans it is an added defense for those they wish to discriminate against no matter of what ethnicity they are discriminating.

You're kidding right?

It's a great idea...but we're a long way from it. In banking, they're often able to discriminate based on zip-code or the way a name sounds. With education, it's often very subtle. Seeing so called "African-Americans" employed in various positions, doesn't mean there's any fairness in the hiring practice.

I remember 8 short years ago going to an interview at a financial firm. My real name sounds more German (first and last) than they do anything else.

When I arrived at the interview and went to the secure area, the guy opened the door and looked around me...as if he was waiting for the guy that fit the German name.

My education and experience were more than appropriate for the position. I explained that I was there for the interview. It lasted about 5 minutes. They said they'd get back to me.

I'd have to say this country has come a short way in a longtime. Of course it has to do with perspective.

LingChe NVC Guide

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

YES WE DID!

.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Please explain what this background is.

Why do we always feel it necessary to describe and judge people by things they have little or no control over, rather than the traits that actually define who they are?

I mean, when will we say "Do you mean my friend John who's a liar, a cheat, and will drive this country into the toilet or my friend Barack who's very intelligent, a great speaker, and has some innovative ways of planning for the future"?

Instead, we talk about the old guy and the Black guy.

Because I'm associated with a STEREOTYPICAL background, mostly cultivated by the media and entertainment industry, people PREJUDGE that I like certain music,

certain clothing, certain cars, and certain sports, which I actually do not.

One of the MOST ridiculous stereotypes of racists is that people of this particular background are lazy.

They forget that these are people who for hundreds of years built this country called America through hard labor, for long hours without smoke breaks, without vacations, and without pay.

Does that sound like lazy?

A person whose ancestors came from Africa.

I think all human beings tend to use physical descriptives if we are speaking of someone...it is not limited to one group of people. I think it has something to do with most people liking to have a visual picture in their mind of a particular person. But that is just my armchair psychiatry... :whistle:

wtf-picard.jpg